PDA

View Full Version : Spurs wanted Routledge

cabbie
05-09-2004, 07:20 AM
The best bit of business on deadline day,and we was worried about who was coming in.
http://www.people.co.uk/sport/tm_objectid=14605627%26method=full%26siteid=55768% 26headline=hotline%2dspecial%2d%2dtottenham%2dmiss %2drout%2don%2dwayne-name_page.html

Moonbeam
05-09-2004, 07:30 AM
But Routledge, 19, is a key part of the Eagles survival hopes and they won't sell while they are fighting to stay in the Premiership.

Routledge is one of the brightest talents in the game and has already been taken under the wing of Wayne Rooney's agent, Paul Stretford.

Routledge would have jumped at the move, but he didn't get the chance to speak to Arnesen after Palace turned down their bid flat.

Good to see that Routledge is committed. Are we ready for January when he goes?

HARRY MONK
05-09-2004, 07:34 AM
he gives the ball away so much he should play for england

hernehilleagle
05-09-2004, 07:39 AM
That's a bit worrying

Braders
05-09-2004, 07:39 AM
I also heard that Routledge would of gone unless SJ didn't step in at the last minute and call the deal off, well done SJ.

Moonbeam
05-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by HARRY MONK
he gives the ball away so much he should play for england He did but improved so much after Dowie arrived he was dropped!!

cpfc_spc1982
05-09-2004, 07:46 AM
they assume he would have jumped at the move.

Moonbeam
05-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
they assume he would have jumped at the move. How do you know that they are asHumming that?

Tony Mazioni
05-09-2004, 07:51 AM
I am afraid the inolvement of Stredford is a truly disasterous situation. I think we will need to enjoy Wayne while we have him, ( until Jan!)

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/03-04/comment/colm/100-colm.asp

Update on 13 Jan

shit looks like it did happen!!!

cpfc_spc1982
05-09-2004, 07:52 AM
i dont see a quote from wayne.
2 million is a joke as well.

Braders
05-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Well I heard that personal terms were agreed and everything before seeing this thread this morning, although the source isn't reliable. I feel this is genuine and slightly worrying.

cpfc_spc1982
05-09-2004, 08:04 AM
with stretford as his agent he wont be around for much longer i would think.
more worrying , might have already happened , did he sign his new contract over the summer ?

Moonbeam
05-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Wayne doesn't need to quote anything now. Isn't that what his agent is for?

Gerry from Sussex
05-09-2004, 08:07 AM
It's always the way with Palace - our best players are bound to become targets because other clubs will seem to be offering better prospects. Palace are not selling club right now though so I wouldn't be too worried about Wayne for this season. If we were relegated it might be different - but that's not going to happen either!

Moonbeam
05-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Gerry from Sussex
Palace are not selling club right now though so I wouldn't be too worried about Wayne for this season.

I cannot agree with you there. We are a selling club and Routledge will be on some managers Christmas wish list. His agent has alerted clubs that he is available. I doubt and to be honest not really bothered if he is here next February.

cpfcben
05-09-2004, 08:14 AM
has he signed a new contract??? he was gonna be offered one, but not sure he'll want one at this rate.

otherwise he'll be off for nothing?

Sussex Eagle
05-09-2004, 08:18 AM
I can't see why we'd sell him for less than 5 or 6 million unless he started acting up. He's one of the top 10 English players in his age group at least, but he isn't nearly the finished article, so we would almost definately get more money for him in a few years time. If we go down, I can maybe see him or his agent trying to force a deal, but if he gets paid well and we stay up, he's got no reason to leave and sit on a bench imho.

c_block_lad
05-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Just was about to post this before I saw this thread, 2M for Wayne, there having a laugh!

Sussex Eagle
05-09-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by cpfcben
has he signed a new contract??? he was gonna be offered one, but not sure he'll want one at this rate.

otherwise he'll be off for nothing?

You have to be 24 to go for nothing on a bosman in the uk. If that situation arose in the next 5 years, it would go to a tribunal and we could appeal the verdict.

Gerry from Sussex
05-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Moonbeam
I cannot agree with you there. We are a selling club and Routledge will be on some managers Christmas wish list. His agent has alerted clubs that he is available. I doubt and to be honest not really bothered if he is here next February.

Strictly speaking we are not a selling club just now. ID still has unspent transfer funds so does not have to see WR to raise cash in the short term (unless maybe he was planning a mega purchase). I suppose SJ might take a different view if the season is not going well and he starts to get anxious about debts again but that's not where we are right at the moment otherwise he wouldn't still be sanctioning purchases.

Other clubs sniffing around might be more of a problem but we'll just have to hope ID and SJ stick to their guns with the 'not for sale' notices. Losing Gray was bad enough but we can't afford to let Wayne go as well because, as we have seen, getting a replacement - even if you have some cash to spend - can be a real problem.

c_block_lad
05-09-2004, 08:29 AM
There is no such think as a "none-selling club" Every club in the world is a selling club if the price is right for one of their players.

Jer
05-09-2004, 09:20 AM
So for terms to supposedly be agreed, does this mean that we (ie SJ) allowed Spurs to talk to Wayne and then decided against the deal once Wayne had his sights on leaving? Did it really get that far, or was this all being set up unofficially behind the scenes before hitting a wall with SJ?
Agreed that any agent is going to look to make best use of his client's stock, and the better the agent the more clout he should have in the game to achieve it. It's really going to take something for us to progress in line with Wayne's potential and continue to look the best option as he carries on his career, though a turnaround like last season's should do it!

Moonbeam
05-09-2004, 09:27 AM
I would assHume that Jordan would have sold, possibly involving a player exchange (midfielder) but could not agree a price or the other player turned the move down.

mainstandeagle
05-09-2004, 09:33 AM
2million is a joke. if we keep hold of him for a few more years he will be worth a lot more, provided he doesn't stagnate.

Moonbeam
05-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by mainstandeagle
if we keep hold of him for a few more years he will be worth a lot more, provided he doesn't stagnate. How many times has that been said about Palace players recently?

eagles #1
05-09-2004, 09:45 AM
damn i really like Wayne and i think he will be brilliant when hes abit older, but i really cant see him signing a new contract now he has that new agent and that he knows bigger clubs are sniffing around so it looks like we have to sell, and it looks like we wont get the proper money for him. 2m for Wayne is a joke but he is in the last year of his contract

cpfc_spc1982
05-09-2004, 10:17 AM
really is poor advice by his agent trying to broker a move for his player so soon. he is almost guaranteed a place in our team , there is no gurantee at all he would have got in spurs 16. for his personal learning and improvement he should have been told to stick it out for at least a season with us in the top flight - they would have both made more then.

lordanton
05-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Wayne is worth more than 2 million and will be a super player when older. Thankfully, he plays in a position flooded with choice and talent (although not as fresh as his). Had he been our left sided midfielder then we'd be in trouble.

Wayne seems a very nice lad, but i always believed he was the type that would jump ship at the first opportunity - has he signed his new contract yet, becuase i thought it ran out at the end of this season :(

selhurstparkflyer
05-09-2004, 11:02 AM
If we do sell him, then I think its vital we get a sell on clause and payment if he plays for England. Too often we have seen bigger clubs make good out of players we have sold too cheaply.

cpfcben
05-09-2004, 11:10 AM
....we saw what happen with Jules... WR is the one player I would expect to leave us if we got relegated. He is at least worth 4m, but at the mercy of a tribunal anything is possible. I think he may well think his future lies elsewhere. I believe this would be wrong as he still has a lot of learning to do and will be guaranteed first team football. At a 'massive' club like Spurs first team football may not be so forth coming.

Pokerface
05-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Swop him for Michael Brown and Rohan Ricketts.

Celestial Empire
05-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Tony Mazioni
I am afraid the inolvement of Stredford is a truly disasterous situation. I think we will need to enjoy Wayne while we have him, ( until Jan!)

Thanks for that, that is a truly excellent article - in two pages, explains the whole of what football is about these days, and that was before the (predicted) "early move" for Rooney.
Meanwhile, the "Football Watchdog" and all the other politicos sit firmly on their hands, knowing that the "big clubs" collude with this crap, so, better not go there.
Every BBS er should read this, and give SJ his due for trying (Quixotically, and mostly vainly), to resist this.
What makes decently brought up young men with the (footballing) world at their feet, sign their futures off to these low-lifes ? Lack of character.

ANDYEAGLE
05-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Pokerface
Swop him for Michael Brown and Rohan Ricketts.

I would not swap Wayne for a couple of Spurs fringe players. His contract is a worry though.

Dillenger
05-09-2004, 12:06 PM
two million is taking the piss. it'd have been a ridiculous decision to sell him at this moment of time for double that.

we've scored twice in open play this year with both goals being made by wayne. if we sold him now we couldnt spend the proceeds til january so would have lost one of our few genuine premiership players with nothing to show but a few months interest from the bank.

Pokerface
05-09-2004, 12:21 PM
I'd swop those two Spurs fringe players for the Spurs fringe player Wayne will undoubtedly become. It's going to be interesting to see how he responds to being unsettled in this way.

SwampThing
05-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Wayne doesn't need to quote anything now. Isn't that what his agent is for?
Yeah, but there are no quotes from him or anyone else either.

Sussex Eagle
05-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger
two million is taking the piss. it'd have been a ridiculous decision to sell him at this moment of time for double that.

we've scored twice in open play this year with both goals being made by wayne. if we sold him now we couldnt spend the proceeds til january so would have lost one of our few genuine premiership players with nothing to show but a few months interest from the bank.

We could no more sell him now than buy anyone else, silly. Window applies to everyone. Wayne has the talent for a club of Spur's size or bigger, but he isn't ready and if he got thrown to the wolves mightn't respond quickly enough for the doubters. Better off staying at Selhurst for a while. As I said, he's worth 5-6mill even as an undeveloped kid. Considering we had 2million turned down for Kevin bloomin' Kyle :rolleyes:

mojoeagle
05-09-2004, 12:39 PM
I thought he has only one year left on contract if so 2 million would be good bussiness

Dillenger
05-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by mojoeagle
I thought he has only one year left on contract if so 2 million would be good bussiness

not as good as getting him to sign a four year deal

mojoeagle
05-09-2004, 12:52 PM
I agree with you would i'd rather him sign up on a long term deal, but after reading the artical above from link about Waynes agent, he probably has been talked into a big move.

mojoeagle
05-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Tony Mazioni

Dosn't sound good with agents like these lot about. Very interesting artical. cheers

chav_hater
05-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Pokerface
I'd swop those two Spurs fringe players for the Spurs fringe player Wayne will undoubtedly become.

Does anyone think that he will actually start/play over 30 mins in one go at Spurs?

Time
05-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
There is no such think as a "none-selling club" Every club in the world is a selling club if the price is right for one of their players.

Exactly. Who would have thought Liverpool would have their hand forced in the Owen transfer saga.

saxo_demon22
05-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Very worrying!!!

N Herts Eagle
05-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Sitting wondering what those who complained about SJ not paying agents think right now... they make the big money by putting transfer deals togther for the best players they have on their books... are they really worried abut whether its a good deal for the player...Wayne is a talent but I think would be better served by at least one season in the Premiership with us where he is likely to play far more than for Spurs.. but that will not worry the agent he will not get a lot out of that....so will try and broker a deal in this case one where it looks like the club knew not a lot about until the offer came in which we rejected... when will people realise a lot of these guys are just money grabbing bar stewards who have found a way of taking money out of the game to line their pockets

LLCOOLSTEVE
05-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Id say 2million is an accurate value

bobmatt
05-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Can someone please post this article up, the link does not work now.

What does it actually say?

cpfc_spc1982
05-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by bobmatt
Can someone please post this article up, the link does not work now.

What does it actually say?

HOTLINE SPECIAL: TOTTENHAM MISS ROUT ON WAYNE Sep 5 2004

By Neil Ashton

TOTTENHAM failed with a 2m bid for Crystal Palace wonder-kid Wayne Routledge on transfer deadline day.

Spurs director of football Frank Arnesen weighed in with the bid last Tuesday, but Palace chief Simon Jordan refused to sell.

Spurs offered 2m - rising to 3m depending on appearances. But Routledge, 19, is a key part of the Eagles survival hopes and they won't sell while they are fighting to stay in the Premiership.

The England U-19 star played a key part in the club's promotion and Arnesen was hugely impressed with his performance against Chelsea two weeks' ago.

Palace lost the game, but Routledge won plenty of admirers - including Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

Routledge is one of the brightest talents in the game and has already been taken under the wing of Wayne Rooney's agent, Paul Stretford.

Spurs were confident of pushing the deal through before the deadline but Palace boss Iain Dowie is under no financial pressure to sell.

Routledge would have jumped at the move, but he didn't get the chance to speak to Arnesen after Palace turned down their bid flat.

Despite the knock-back, Arnesen will continue to monitor his progress at Palace.

NicolaVentola
05-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
i dont see a quote from wayne.
2 million is a joke as well.

Well he isn't worth more than that so i dont see where the joke is.

Chester 76
05-09-2004, 06:14 PM
As an aside it is interesting that the report says Paul Stretford has taken Wayne Routledge under his wing,the same day the Times reports that Paul Stretford is to concentrate solely on Wayne Rooney & ignore the other 269 footballers on his books.To the extent some expect Paul Stretford`s company to be renamed Rooney.

griggs
05-09-2004, 06:36 PM
"2 September 2004

The summer transfer window proved to be a very busy period for Proactive with many of our clients securing moves. Please find below a round-up of the summer activity:

Player From To
Andre Boucaud Reading Peterborough
Andrew Cole Blackburn Rovers Fulham
Arni Arason Manchester City Valarenga
Bradley Orr Newcastle United Bristol City
Claus Jensen Charlton Athletic Fulham
DaMarcus Beasley Chicago Fire PSV Eindhoven
Emerson Thome Bolton Wanderers Wigan Athletic
Francis Jeffers Arsenal Charlton Athletic
Jamie Smith Crystal Palace Bristol City
Julian Gray Crystal Palace Birmingham City
Nick Colgan Hibernian Barnsley
Nicky Butt Manchester United Newcastle United
Paul Gallacher Dundee United Norwich City
Paul Thirlwell Sunderland Sheffield United
Per Frandsen Bolton Wanderers Wigan Athletic
Riccardo Scimeca Leicester City West Bromwich Albion
Scot Gemmill Everton Leicester City
Sean Davis Fulham Tottenham Hotspur
Stephan Andersen AB Charlton Athletic
Wayne Rooney Everton Manchester United

Proactive would like to congratulate all of these players and wish them all the best at their new clubs."

Quoted from Paul Stretford's website http://www.proactivesports.co.uk/ar/ . Not suprising to see Gray there really is it.

Gooders
05-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Id say 2million is an accurate value

I would agree at the moment.

Young Wayne has a long way to go yet. And he probably will get there, so long as he gets his head down and keeps putting the effort in.

ANDYEAGLE
05-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
I would agree at the moment.

Young Wayne has a long way to go yet. And he probably will get there, so long as he gets his head down and keeps putting the effort in.

Of course if you were asked the question would you accept 2 million for Wayne I am sure you would say no.
Although I agree Wayne has a lot to learn I value him far higher than 2 million quid offered for him. Wayne has a special talent and I think he has a chance to go on and be as good as another home grown player Kenny Sansom( IMO Palaces best ever player) Different players but both special talents not seen very often at Palace.
To see people talking about swapping him for the likes of Rickets & Brown is unbelievable. Why we did not get his contract sorted out last season is beyond me although of course he does not qualify for a Bosman.
Two Million sterling for Wayne you must be joking, one good season this year and he will be worth 7 million.(discussed in an earlier thread)

hughff
06-09-2004, 03:22 AM
He's worth maybe less than 2M until he signs a new contract because I doubt he'll get that valuation from the tribunal.

On another note, there's no doubt in my mind that the only reason we have him now, and the only reason that we're in a position to turn down 2M (or even 1.5) is promotion. The same applies to AJ. If we'd lost to the hamsters, he'd be in the reserves at hotspurts now and we'd be trying to spend the 1M we got for him. Prem clubs can get div1 players for way under price and we'll have to survive this year if we want anything much to show for these two, including a contract in 2005.

Palace121
06-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Must be a lie. How could anyone be impressed by Routledge's performance against Chelsea.

Fide et Fiducia
06-09-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Palace121
Must be a lie. How could anyone be impressed by Routledge's performance against Chelsea.

Yes, marked out of the game by a well drilled world class defence and left with no options whenever on the ball, he is poor you are right.

C L O W N.

Ralph
06-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by hughff
Prem clubs can get div1 players for way under price

Andy Reid??

Anyway, I personally believe this has been a long time coming and wouldnt blame Wayne one iota for leaving. Spurs ARE a bigger club and they look like they're embarking on an exciting transition. The move would be good for him. Sorry to say it but he'll be gone by next year at the very latest!

Cleon
06-09-2004, 08:04 AM
I suspect this is a case of just testing the water with other clubs in the event of Palace being relegated. Routledge is a player with fantastic potential, and who has come into his own over the last twelve months or so. 2M would be laughable even if we were relegated (especially with reference to our alledged Ashton & Kyle bids), but with Palace in the Premiership I would have thought anything less than 6M would be thrown out of court.

As Dillenger points out, both our goals from open play this year have been created/assisted by Routledge.

I can't see Dowie or Jordan wanting to sell a player with the same potential as Shaun Wright-Phillips.

wedgetail
06-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Palace121
or on the other hand compliment Chelsea for having a game plan that was based around stopping Wayne and AJ from running with the ball. I took it as a compliment on Wayne's ability.

Gerry from Sussex
06-09-2004, 08:36 AM
The value to Palace of players like AJ and Wayne can't be measured in cash. If we are going to keep moving forward (whether that includes a detour via Div 1 or a second season in the prem) we need to keep our best players. This is especially true of a player as young as Wayne because you have to think about the cost of replacing him not just now but in 3 or 4 years time when he will be the finished article. I know it's hard but I really hope SJ can resist the pressures from agents and other clubs.

06-09-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by wedgetail
or on the other hand compliment Chelsea for having a game plan that was based around stopping Wayne and AJ from running with the ball. I took it as a compliment on Wayne's ability.
Quite. He had two players on him all the time. Must've been quite nice for the ego to know he frightens Moronio that much :)

It wasn't me!
06-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Just a quick few things.

He hasn't spoke to Tottenham.
Paul Stretford doesn't directly look after him.
He has this season left, but hasn't been offered a new contract.

Celestial Empire
06-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
Just a quick few things.

He hasn't spoke to Tottenham.
Paul Stretford doesn't directly look after him.

Fine, but one quick question for you :
Why would a decent young guy, with the footy world at his feet decide to go with Stretford ? (or perhaps he, or his mum, haven't done their homework ?)

It wasn't me!
06-09-2004, 11:05 AM
He's been with pro active for a about 3 years already.

Jim Cannon
06-09-2004, 11:11 AM
I don't like the sound of this at all.

Lion
06-09-2004, 11:19 AM
See this from last month?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/articles/12733842?source=Evening%20Standard

Wayne Routledge is set to commit his future to Crystal Palace. The 19-year-old has only one year left on his contract but is keen to stay with Iain Dowie's side.

Routledge has already shown that he will be a threat in the Premiership this term and Dowie believes he is good enough to play for England Under-21s. Negotiations over a new deal will be opened shortly.

Finland international Joonas Kolkka has been impressed by the youngster since moving to Palace from Borussia Monchengladbach last month and said: "Wayne is already a good player and could be even better. He could be important to the club for years to come. I hope he keeps working hard and improving."

Kolkka wants the same for the rest of the squad after making his home debut in Palace's 3-1 defeat by Everton on Saturday.

A bright start with a goal from Mark Hudson was ruined by some poor defending and goalkeeping as Thomas Gravesen scored twice before Marcus Bent added a third.

Dowie says he wants to bring in a handful of new players before the end of the month and was today being linked with Inter Milan striker Nicola Ventola. But first Palace must prepare for tomorrow's game against Chelsea at Selhurst Park.

Kolkka said: "I knew it would be hard this season and we would have to fight for every point, but I am pleased to be here.

"We have to pick ourselves up for tomorrow. We have to be ready and keep going. We didn't do that badly against Everton but had lapses in concentration and have to be a bit better.

"There is some apprehension - Chelsea are one of the biggest teams in Europe. But we have to show we belong in the Premiership and be better than we were on Saturday."

Lion
06-09-2004, 11:21 AM
BTW - Does anyone have a working link for this article at the start of the thread?

Tor
06-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Lion
BTW - Does anyone have a working link for this article at the start of the thread?

Try this (http://www.people.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=14605627&method=full&siteid=55768) one.

LeeH
06-09-2004, 11:49 AM
would be a cruel irony if he lined up against us in January (and no doubt score the winner too :( )

PeterH
06-09-2004, 12:06 PM

You sure he hasn't been offered a new contract. Or is it hat one has been offered and he hasn't accepted.

Looking like he is off in January then.

Jim Cannon
06-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
You sure he hasn't been offered a new contract. Or is it hat one has been offered and he hasn't accepted.

Looking like he is off in January then.

If Palace don't go out of their way to give him what he wants this will be one of the biggest mistakes they could ever make. But on the other hand, if the player has set his heart on leaving there will be nothing they can do.:(

Essexeagle
06-09-2004, 12:26 PM
As I've mentioned before. I know Neil Ashton and he is a huge Palace fan with good contacts at the club. So I'd say that the story was fairly accurate.

Gerry from Sussex
06-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Jim Cannon
If Palace don't go out of their way to give him what he wants this will be one of the biggest mistakes they could ever make. But on the other hand, if the player has set his heart on leaving there will be nothing they can do.:(

So true. But one day, just maybe, we will be the sort of club that a young player like Wayne would want to sign for if he was playing somewhere else.

Daddy Long
06-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Essexeagle
As I've mentioned before. I know Neil Ashton and he is a huge Palace fan with good contacts at the club. So I'd say that the story was fairly accurate.

Wayne Routledge hasn't spoken to Spurs.

It wasn't me!
06-09-2004, 12:37 PM

I know Wayne and close family and friends and even the agent. Not true. Sorry!

sydnsteve
06-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Unless I'm missing something the article doesn't say that Wayne talked to Spurs, in fact quite the contrary. It says Spurs were turned down flat as SJ refused to sell. It does say Wayne would have gone, but that must be speculation as the bid never got to him (if it existed, which I have no idea about).

SwampThing
06-09-2004, 01:49 PM
I presume that just means he hasn't been given a piece of paper to sign, but negotiations are still taking place? It makes no sense for Palace not offer Routledge a new contract. If nothing else, it'll increase the price they can ask for him if they decide to sell.

cpfc_spc1982
06-09-2004, 01:59 PM
when did wayne sign his first pro contract , and why wasnt it a longer deal ?

It wasn't me!
06-09-2004, 02:32 PM
No talks have taken place either.

Celestial Empire
06-09-2004, 06:48 PM

Well, that seems to fit in with SJ's style of doing business. :bash:

Young Trolley
06-09-2004, 07:57 PM

I find this absolutely astonishing. Why oh why would we not have opened talks with him, especially if we are turning down bids (which shows we want to keep him) IWM if a contract which Wayne was happy with was put in front of him would he sign it?

maestro
06-09-2004, 08:07 PM
i remember ID saying that SJ was a friend of wayne's mum and that tlaks would open shortly, that was a while ago

TrevorCope
06-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Here we go again !
We have a half decent prospect for the future and everyone thinks it's right to sell him !

HANG ON TO WAYNE - He's the future !

We have got to stay up ! Let's keep the 'cheap' players !!!!

We grew him - let's keep him !

What about what we did with Bright, Wright etcetcetecetecetec

WE ARE NO THE REST OF LONDON'S BABYSITTERS

GET REAL

sydnsteve
07-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Hold on, I don't think anyone wants to sell him! As far as I can see we are wondering why he hasn't been given a longer contract

Essexeagle
07-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Wayne Routledge hasn't spoken to Spurs.

As was mentioned earlier, the story simply says Spurs wanted him and Jordan turned them down flat. The bit about "would have jumped at the chance" is probably just journalistic licence put in by the subs.

suits_you
07-09-2004, 09:29 AM
i fear that now if we dont stay up its bye bye to super wayne.

It wasn't me!
07-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Young Trolley
I find this absolutely astonishing. Why oh why would we not have opened talks with him, especially if we are turning down bids (which shows we want to keep him) IWM if a contract which Wayne was happy with was put in front of him would he sign it?

Wayne would sign, he had no intention of not signing - but he did think talks would have started by now. The longer they leave the more he feels like they don't want him. If you know what i mean.

It wasn't me!
07-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by maestro
i remember ID saying that SJ was a friend of wayne's mum and that tlaks would open shortly, that was a while ago

I think he was taking the mick when he said that, this is far from the truth as you can imagine Wayne's mum wants the best for him and has pushed for contract talks - still no luck!

Moonbeam
07-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Hold on, I don't think anyone wants to sell him! I wouldn't mind. I consider him to be over-rated and too full of himself. Sell him and use the profit wisely.

sydnsteve
07-09-2004, 10:02 AM
I have to say this is really bad news. He is a star, and if he really does want to sign we should be talking to him right now. What have we got to lose? By not holding talks it is very obvious what we will lose. Wayne.
I agree with whoever said that the club suffers from SJ's enforced tax absences and a lack of anyone to delegate to, although surely this should be Dowie?

Kirby
07-09-2004, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't mind. I consider him to be over-rated and too full of himself. Sell him and use the profit wisely.

Shut up you lemon!

BARNSTONEWORTH
07-09-2004, 11:50 AM
I am constantly amazed by people critical of Routledge.
We've scored two goals from open play this season and Wayne was the provider for both. He does sometimes try and beat one too many players and against Chelsea in particular tried too hard to impress, perhaps for the cameras, or perhaps for Sven. He takes chances, shows great skill and there is tremendous scope for further development and I for one would be VERY disappointed to lose him. If in a few years time we're in the fizzy drinks league then let him go, for both player and clubs sake. Until then let's nurture one of the brightest talents at the club and one of the players who, for me at least, make me really enjoy watching and supporting Palace - even when we're losing.

Dave
07-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Young Trolley
I find this absolutely astonishing. Why oh why would we not have opened talks with him

Because he is 19

Dave
07-09-2004, 12:14 PM
This article (http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=130459) says Chelsea are monitoring him too

It wasn't me!
07-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Because he is 19

whats that got to do with anything?

SwampThing
07-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Dave
This article (http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=130459) says Chelsea are monitoring him too
It says they're "thought to be", which no doubt, they've just assumed from the People article ("Palace lost the game, but Routledge won plenty of admirers - including Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho"), which itself seems to be largely based on assumption, with no quotes to back it up.

Beanie
07-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Wayne would sign, he had no intention of not signing - but he did think talks would have started by now. The longer they leave the more he feels like they don't want him. If you know what i mean.
I can understand that feeling BUT - if SJ turned 2-3m down flat it would seem to indicate even more strongly than opening talks that he is wanted. There is no way that a bid of similar size will come in as he gets closer to leaving for a tribunal type fee. With the transfer window now closed I would guess that Bob Dowie will have a bit more time to start dealing with the new deals within the club, before getting ready for January.

sydnsteve
07-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Beanie, where have you been with your common sense recently? It has been anarchic fun without you! (but totally lacking in substance).
You are sorely needed on the 'SJ has sold CPFC' thread.

ANDYEAGLE
07-09-2004, 01:08 PM
As was mentioned earlier, the story simply says Spurs wanted him and Jordan turned them down flat. The bit about "would have jumped at the chance" is probably just journalistic licence put in by the subs.

I think that is probably about right. Maybe everyone is overreacting and Wayne has already verbally agreed that he will sign a new contract. He would still have a clause in any new contract to leave anyway if we get relegated. From his point of view it is better to have a good season at Palace than go to somewhere like Spurs where he is not even guaranteed a regular start.

Sussex Eagle
07-09-2004, 01:37 PM
It's amazing how people just get used to talent like Wayne's so easily. Anyone I talk to who isn't Palace immediately thinks highly of him if they see him play a game or two - the couple of Spuz I have mentioned this two were rather excited by it. Of course he's not the finished article, but that will come. He will be slugging it ou with Wright-Phillips to be first choice at the 2008 Euros, or maybe even before.

Moonbeam
07-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Kirby
Shut up you lemon! Fair enough. You obviously know more than I do.

:clown:

Essexeagle
07-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Apparently the deal on the table was 2m plus 3 players.

Moonbeam
07-09-2004, 02:20 PM
plus 3 players. From Spearmint Rhino?

Daddy Long
07-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
IMaybe everyone is overreacting and Wayne has already verbally agreed that he will sign a new contract.

No, no ,no. No talks have taken place.

It wasn't me!
07-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
I can understand that feeling BUT - if SJ turned 2-3m down flat it would seem to indicate even more strongly than opening talks that he is wanted. There is no way that a bid of similar size will come in as he gets closer to leaving for a tribunal type fee. With the transfer window now closed I would guess that Bob Dowie will have a bit more time to start dealing with the new deals within the club, before getting ready for January.

Well how come Gary and Ben both sorted their contracts out before the start of the season.

Cleon
07-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
It's amazing how people just get used to talent like Wayne's so easily. Anyone I talk to who isn't Palace immediately thinks highly of him if they see him play a game or two - the couple of Spuz I have mentioned this two were rather excited by it. Of course he's not the finished article, but that will come. He will be slugging it ou with Wright-Phillips to be first choice at the 2008 Euros, or maybe even before.

Absolutely. I've taken several (non-Palace supporting) friends to Palace over the last year or so and they've all said the same thing - Routledge is the only person that obviously stands out as a Premiership player.

He has fantastic potential. They know it. Dowie knows it. And I'm sure Simon Jordon knows it. So Spurs can f**k off.

Gerry from Sussex
07-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Apparently Chelsea are having a look as well, in which case the price has just doubled :)

Beanie
07-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Well how come Gary and Ben both sorted their contracts out before the start of the season.
I'm guessing - but as they are almost certainly both smaller than Wayne's would be and without the competition from other clubs they were probably simpler. Also, wasn't Ben actually out of contract? so something had to be done. As I said, I can understand to a degree how wayne might feel, but you don't turn down a fee like that for a player you don't want to keep.

ANDYEAGLE
07-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
No, no ,no. No talks have taken place.

If that is the situation it is crazy in this day of freedom of contracts you have to tie up your players early especially a major asset like Wayne. Is this the way to run a business?

GloverUK
13-09-2004, 03:23 PM
It was in yesterdays (12-9-2004) Sunday Mirror that spurs will try and lure him away when the windows open again in January

Beanie
13-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by GloverUK
It was in yesterdays (12-9-2004) Sunday Mirror that spurs will try and lure him away when the windows open again in January
Which means that Palace have until then to sign him up. If Wayne feels he wants a shot at a club like Spurs Palace won't do it - but they wouldn't have done it three months ago either, because I'm pretty sure it hasn't only just occured to Wayne what his position is. If Wayne wants to stay at Palace, then the deal will get done, and the fact that the club have waited three months won't make any difference.