PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it refreshing that there is a transfer window

PeterH
08-09-2004, 05:14 PM
well isn't it.

No trawling through threads about peoples speculation.

No trawling through threads about how good players are on CM.

No disappointments as we are linked with prospects who go elsewhere.

Excellent.

January will be here soon though. Ho Hum.

Batsta
08-09-2004, 05:16 PM
I like the transfer window too.

c_block_lad
08-09-2004, 05:17 PM
No.

Because we have not had the chance to bring in as many players as we would have liked, of the quality needed to survive in this league.

If that is more important to you then a forum on a messageboard, well thats your call...

limited_edition
08-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Doesn't make any different if we're going after free agents like Kachloul.

nookiebear
08-09-2004, 05:18 PM
From what I've been told, we'd have secured Killy Gonzalez had the 'window' been open a week or so longer, so maybe it's not such a good thing

selhurst
08-09-2004, 05:18 PM
When I used to watch Playschool, the 'transfer' window was always my favourite. Much better than the 'round' or 'square' windows...

c_block_lad
08-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
From what I've been told, we'd have secured Killy Gonzalez had the 'window' been open a week or so longer, so maybe it's not such a good thing

Dowie also had a Premiership player lined up, he was meeting with Dowie in a hotel, but there was not enough time for the deal to go through.

ANDYEAGLE
08-09-2004, 05:23 PM

What on loan? Killy would have been great for us down the left.

c_block_lad
08-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE

Forum on a messageboard is more important though. :p

nookiebear
08-09-2004, 05:42 PM

yep, on loan

who was the Premiership player? Bowyer?

ANDYEAGLE
08-09-2004, 05:49 PM
yep, on loan

who was the Premiership player? Bowyer?

There was some rumour about Bowyer it's possible. Gonzalez and Bowyer could have made a big difference for us especially Killy you've depressed me going to the pub to watch England could get worse!

Ledge
08-09-2004, 08:32 PM
At lease I get some work done....
Instead of trawling BBS for a titbit of believable Transfer news.

gold76
08-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Whether the rumours true or not, the transfer forum adds a sparkle to the day & always provides a welcome distraction to work

Celestial Empire
08-09-2004, 09:52 PM
On the other hand, in the week since the window closed, we've learned :
1) The chairman has sold up, and isn't.
2) ID is about to go to Blackburn/Southampton.
3) Our best young player is about to be poached for peanuts, by Spurs, Chelsea etc.
:eek: :rolleyes: :moo:

AndyStreet
08-09-2004, 09:56 PM
The transfer window is a monopolistic load of bollocks that benefits only the biggest club who can afford to throw money at negotiations to push them through quickly and who already have big enough squads to deal with not being allowed to bring in further players. It's there to protect the big three in particular, and is quite frankly a load of bollocks.

gamesmeister
09-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by selhurst
When I used to watch Playschool, the 'transfer' window was always my favourite. Much better than the 'round' or 'square' windows...

Judging by this post, I guess that would have been last week ;) :D

chelmsfordeagle
09-09-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Dowie also had a Premiership player lined up, he was meeting with Dowie in a hotel, but there was not enough time for the deal to go through.

but on the other hand the closing of the window stopped Routledge going to Spurs, the window works both ways. It was introduced to protect clubs like us and I think it works.

LP
09-09-2004, 08:00 AM
The transfer window is a nightmare for newly promoted clubs, it limits the time we've got to strengthen our squad and means we haven't got time to see how our exisiting players adapt to the Premiership before making signings. I can't see how it's a good thing for Palace at all.

cpfc_spc1982
09-09-2004, 08:02 AM
its a good idea , as it encourages clubs to play home grown players.

LP
09-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
its a good idea , as it encourages clubs to play home grown players.

Try telling that to Everton fans who've seen their best young talent leave just before the window and for a fee which Utd were clearly able to drive down due to the window going up.

Jimbo ?
09-09-2004, 09:52 AM
we've been linked with hundreds of free players now instead of hundreds of contracted players.....windows dont make any difference. but personally i am in favour because at least we dont have to worry about losing our players and it does get all the deals done and dusted rather than them dragging on

ANDYEAGLE
09-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
we've been linked with hundreds of free players now instead of hundreds of contracted players.....windows dont make any difference. but personally i am in favour because at least we dont have to worry about losing our players and it does get all the deals done and dusted rather than them dragging on

I should'nt think we would have lost any of our players. The Roultledge bid was turned down if Spurs really wanted to they could do a deal and take him in January.
From Palaces point of view (which is all I am worried about) the window has done us no good rushing to get players in desperation and missing out on a couple of possible signings which could keep us up.

Riccardo
09-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I hate the transfer window, but if it meant that Lee Bowyer didn't join my football club, then I love it.

Flappy Chicken
09-09-2004, 10:21 AM
SHOCK SELHURST SWOOP CONFIRMED?
PALACE PLUNDER FREE AGENT ACE?

ANDYEAGLE
09-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Riccardo
I hate the transfer window, but if it meant that Lee Bowyer didn't join my football club, then I love it.

If some one offered you a deal if Bowyer comes we are guaranteed safety you wouldn't take it ?

If Dowie was happy to take Bowyer so would I be, with Killy Gonzalez we would be in the Ball game.

Riccardo
09-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Sorry mate, I'm not getting into a Bowyer arguement here. Just personally I don't want him near my football club.

In my opinion it would be like signing hitler in our midfield.

ANDYEAGLE
09-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Sorry mate, I'm not getting into a Bowyer arguement here. Just personally I don't want him near my football club.

In my opinion it would be like signing hitler in our midfield.

No problem actually with a little tash he could look like Hitler.

Riccardo
09-09-2004, 10:31 AM
No problem actually with a little tash he could look like Hitler.

I've heard that's just a Friday night for him, but that comes from unreliable sources . . . .

Celestial Empire
09-09-2004, 02:17 PM
How about a new rule allowing the promoted clubs an extra 3 weeks at the start of the season to sign players ? That would level the playing field slightly.

If Wayne had gone to Spurs, they would probably have done a Davenport with him - loan him to (e.g.) Leicester for the season. :hmph:
Hoarding is the name of the game.
I like the sound of that proposed rule limiting the size of squads.

ANDYEAGLE
09-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
How about a new rule allowing the promoted clubs an extra 3 weeks at the start of the season to sign players ? That would level the playing field slightly.

If Wayne had gone to Spurs, they would probably have done a Davenport with him - loan him to (e.g.) Leicester for the season. :hmph:
Hoarding is the name of the game.
I like the sound of that proposed rule limiting the size of squads.

Like the idea of the the three extra weeks it would have taken a lot of pressure away from us.

I think if Wayne had gone to Spurs I dont think they would have loaned him out to a first Div side. He would not want to go. Better idea loan him back to us for a season. All sounds a bit daft anyway lets get his contract sorted and keep him at least for this year.

c_block_lad
09-09-2004, 05:11 PM

If the window had not been there it could have possibly meant it was joining my club, another reason the window is poo.

NZsparky
09-09-2004, 10:30 PM
It may be the distance thats makes me so ignorant about Bowyers private life and alledged racial position????.
I don't know any of the other stuff but from what I've seen of him football wise I think he is excellent.
If our GOD wants him playing in our colours for our club, so do I.
Sorry if that upsets RIccardo or whoever buta s I said I am ignorant of his off field activities.

nookiebear
10-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Interestingly, with no transfer window, our team this season could have been this (assuming the 'eyebrow raiser' was Bowyer. As for Gonzalez - I beleive my source, so he's included as well)

Speroni

Butterfield Hudson Hall Sorondo

Routledge Hughes Bowyer Gonzalez

Johnson Ventola

Subs: Sandor, Pops, Rihilati, Andrews, Gabor, Kollka, Derry

That's a squad that could pinch a fair few points, IMHO

Celestial Empire
10-09-2004, 12:02 PM
If the window persists long-term, we might see lots of players going self-employed, (like the building industry :rolleyes: ), then the agents will really have a field day.

PeterH
11-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Do you not think that an Everton, Portsmouth or West Brom would have come in and snatched Bowyer anyway?

And extending the transfer window for the promoted clubs, would not allow those clubs to buy from established premier clubs.