PDA

View Full Version : Dowie to listem on offers for Shipps

AJ
11-09-2004, 10:52 AM
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/09/11/SOCCER_Palace_Shipperley.html

ain Dowie is prepared to listen to offers for Neil Shipperley - just four months after the striker fired the Eagles into the Barclays Premiership.

The 29-year-old striker scored the play-off final winner against West Ham at the Millennium Stadium, propelling Palace back into the top flight for the first time in six years in May.

But Shipperley has missed the club's opening four Premiership matches with a knee injury and fell further down the pecking order with the arrival of Sandor Torghelle, Ivan Kaviedes and Nicola Ventola.

Eagles manager Iain Dowie said: "Because of the fact we have brought in Nicola and we have got Sandor and Andy Johnson, people will make assumptions about Neil.

"I have not had a conversation where he has said he can't accept where he is. I have not had that discussion. He is an important member of the squad.

"At the same time if anyone did come in for him I would say to him it has happened, because I think that is fair.

"If a player is not in your immediate plan you have to be honest with them, but you need a big squad, and Neil will have a full part to play I am sure."

Shipperley returns to the squad for today's trip to Portsmouth after recovering from tendinitis in his knee.

The former Chelsea striker received a red card in a comeback game for the reserves this week and is unlikely to start at Fratton Park.

Dowie admits some of his players could leave Selhurst Park after signing 11 players for this season's campaign. And Sheffield United have been linked to Shipperley, who has two years left on his current contract.

The arrival of Ventola from Inter Milan has increased the manager's attacking options and the former Italy Under-21 striker is set to start against Portsmouth after receiving international clearance.

Dowie added: "He is very aware, and he has got a trick. He scored 10 goals in Serie A just the season before last and no mug does that.

"He has had injuries but he was rated as one of the ones to watch and from what I have seen his fitness levels are excellent.

"We are looking to him to give us a goal threat and the ability to create chances out of nothing. He has shown fantastic ability in the reserves and he oozes that bit of class which is important at this level."

Beanie
11-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Not quite what the headline says is it? Quotes ID as saying that Shipps is an important part of squad, but recognises he's not going to get that much playing time. Says in effect that if anybody comes in for Shipps ID would pass it on to him as that is only fair. Reads to me as if ID wants him to stay but would understand if he wanted to go. At least Shipps doesn't have an agent egging him on - he deals with it all himself.

Timbo
11-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Not quite what the headline says is it? Quotes ID as saying that Shipps is an important part of squad, but recognises he's not going to get that much playing time. Says in effect that if anybody comes in for Shipps ID would pass it on to him as that is only fair. Reads to me as if ID wants him to stay but would understand if he wanted to go. At least Shipps doesn't have an agent egging him on - he deals with it all himself.

This is how I read it too.

Trist
11-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Timbo
This is how I read it too.
Agreed..

Jasper
11-09-2004, 01:17 PM
I can't see Shipperly featuring much this season. AJ will be first name on the team sheet and then it will be between Ventola and Torghelle to see who plays up front with him. I would imagine that Kavides and Freedman would also be ahead of him in the pecking order. Its a shame because Neil has done alot of good for the club but the truth is he probably isn't up to the pace of the premier league. He struggled in the 1st division at times.

Sires
11-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Ivan Kaviedas however looks like he could have an attacking midfielder role but I think Wayne Andrews was signed for a reason and to be brutally honest I think Neil is bottom of the pecking order.

arussell
12-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Considering that Dowie's unlikely to be here much longer, I don't really think he should be the one judging who should be coming and going from the club.

kolinkins
12-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by arussell
Considering that Dowie's unlikely to be here much longer, I don't really think he should be the one judging who should be coming and going from the club.

The quietest of the Mods speaks about Dowieis future - me thinks there is some concrete news in the Mods Forum.

oz_da II
12-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Worrying times?

It's never boring at the Palace. :D

arussell
12-09-2004, 11:41 PM
I'm quiet as in I'm usually too busy writing stuff, or going to football or cricket matches - leaving me with little time to go on a boring rant :D

kolinkins
12-09-2004, 11:42 PM
I'm quiet as in I'm usually too busy writing stuff, or going to football or cricket matches - leaving me with little time to go on a boring rant :D

And yet you find time to post the biggest hint yet that Dowie is off :(

arussell
13-09-2004, 08:22 AM
:confused:

Sorry but you have me baffled. There's nothing I've said that you won't already see over in General Palace Discussion mentioned in more depth and several times over !

kolinkins
13-09-2004, 10:56 AM
:confused:

Sorry but you have me baffled. There's nothing I've said that you won't already see over in General Palace Discussion mentioned in more depth and several times over !

I know i know. But just reading it written by you makes it sound more real than when people like James say it, thats all.

arussell
13-09-2004, 11:47 AM
:D