PDA

View Full Version : Should we start planning for the 2005-2006 season, now?

charltonhater
11-09-2004, 11:25 PM
I, like many Palace fans, can not see us staying up this year. In fact I can't see us finishing above bottom. However come January when the transfer window opens again I predict a lot of panic spending by the club, in an attempt to keep us in the top flight. To fund this spending though we will probably have to sell some of the players who helped us win promotion last season (such as Freedman, Derry, Powell e.t.c.), something I am dead against.

Anyway, what I want to know is do you think when the january transfer window opens, should we attempt to buy players to help us remain in the top flight, or should we accept the inevitible that we will be in the championship next year and we should be preparing for that buy buying players for a 2005-2006 push?

Sussex Eagle
11-09-2004, 11:27 PM
For crying out loud...:rolleyes:

1dougiefreedman
11-09-2004, 11:28 PM
I think loans and short deals just as most newly promoted clubs do, with a few up and coming players suitable for the championship.

daz_eagle
11-09-2004, 11:40 PM
we're 1 win away from safety. we've gotta improve, but there's time to do so.

pedro
11-09-2004, 11:47 PM
We need 1.1 points a game to stay up and we are only 4.5 points away at the moment. No need to panic. :D

Shipp Ahoy!
11-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Ask me in December.

brighton_eagle
11-09-2004, 11:49 PM
I think with players like Boyce and Andrews we have already been planning for that eventuality. Which is fair enough.

Hedgehog
12-09-2004, 12:05 AM
I don't see Wolves, Leicester, Leeds, Ipswich, Coventry or West Ham etc setting the table alight in division 1. I bet they all thought they would cruise back up when religated. For every WBA/Charlton there is a Sheffield Wednesday/Man City!

Gollum
12-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Absurd melodrama in this thread. We are one win off 13th place. Over the next 33 games we have to win about 11 of them and pick up a few draws.
Let's think about plannnig for next season in January.

Gooders
12-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Gollum
Absurd melodrama in this thread. Over the next 33 games we have to win about 11 of them...

Not really Gollum.

The absurd thought is that anyone can have witnessed our opening to the season and can still believe that we can win a third of our remaining games this season! :eek:

Gladys Allover
12-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Gollum
Absurd melodrama in this thread. We are one win off 13th place. Over the next 33 games we have to win about 11 of them and pick up a few draws.
Let's think about plannnig for next season in January. I don't think i could disagree with you more!

For your "absurd melodrama" read "appropriate realism".

The simple one win off 13th place has not even been close so far and we have played three games against bottom 6 sides! Fortunately it looks like we have made some very shrewd signings for the long term - Hall, Boyce, Andrews, Torghelle etc could all stay for a season if not more if we were to be relegated.

I thought Portsmouth were shocking yesterday and not being able to score more than once against there woeful defence is a worry. The lack of chances is even more worrying.

Unfortunately the general frustration being experience by all of us is clouding the line between realism and negativity. Just because people don't think we are going to stay up, on the evidence seen so far, doesn't mean they are worse fans or doom and gloom merchants.

I for one haven't seen much so far this season to think that we will come as high as fourth from bottom this season, but will continue to watch, support and enjoy us playing in the most exciting league in the world!! :)

cpfc_spc1982
12-09-2004, 02:49 PM
at present ive not seen a worse team in the premiership this year maybe even history, still early days though.

hernehilleagle
12-09-2004, 03:11 PM
I agree that Boyce and Andrews are long term prospects

JamieBcpfc
12-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Bloody Hell, I'm sick of all this.

beveling8
12-09-2004, 05:59 PM
i don't think we should give up on the prem yet but if theres more performances like that....

Jimbo ?
12-09-2004, 06:02 PM
to a certain extent we have already. the players we have brought in are players who will hopefully be able to do a job next year if we didnt go down. young, something to prove. torghelle hall speroni kiraly boyce hudson .... will do a job what ever division. while norwich westbrom sign up kanu and alike, we have a team for the future. be that in d1 or the premier. I still believe we can stay up - middlesbrough chelsea pompy away will take points off most teams. norwich westbrom and blackburn are not away from us yet. dont give up that easily

Sir.S.C Remembered
12-09-2004, 10:19 PM
We should always plan for the future for many options especially those that are likely. However it is early days but as soon as we were promoted it would have been madness not to have plans if relgations occured as it was a strong possibility.

I still think we will be ok. 1 win and we are out of the relegation zone then ensure you stay out!

wrinklereeves
13-09-2004, 01:52 PM
I do hope your right,but there seems that there's no fight at the momement,and when they realise what they need to do it will be too late.:sob:

kiethlard
13-09-2004, 01:59 PM
If you are so sure we are going down after a few games, don't bother going to any more matches cos we can do without you.

Mr Palace
13-09-2004, 02:35 PM
I find it incredible that someone can make a perfectly legitimate point as Charltonhater has, but then is completely shot down just for being realistic. The simple fact is that we are nowhere near good enough for the Premiership. I've been a season ticket holder for a long time now and, as much as I love Palace and will continue to support them, I realise that we are painfully out of our depth.

This is mainly due to the fact that we have barely improved the quality of our squad since last season (the well documented problems in midfield for example). Yes, we have increased the quantity and are putting together a squad of players (something we didn't have last year). But, crucially, we have not invested in the type of quality player we needed to have a chance of staying up.

Therefore, I agree with Charltonhater that we shouldn't panic buy and fritter away what little money we have for the sake of it. This is about being sensible for the mid to long-term good of CPFC. If we do go down as is likely we should make sure we have a strong squad to be challenging for promotion the following season. I for one would accept this situation as it would mean we were a stronger club as a result of our one season in the Premiership.

old git
13-09-2004, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by charltonhater
[B]II predict a lot of panic spending by the club, in an attempt to keep us in the top flight. To fund this spending though we will probably have to sell some of the players who helped us win promotion last season (such as Freedman, Derry, Powell e.t.c.), something I am dead against.

We certainly didn't panic spend in August when we had a chance of staying up so why would we in January IF we are rooted in the relegation zone?

Beanie
13-09-2004, 03:21 PM
I think this is ridiculous.

The first day draw against Norwich was okay, the defeats against Chelsea and Boro predictable. Against Everton I serious think we could have won, probably should have won Two individual erros, AJ waiting too long when round Nigel Martyn and Speroni, cost us. Saturday we had an awful start and never really got going, but even so weren't out of it against a team witha good recent home record until the sort of own goal we would have been laughing at for ages if it hadn't happened to us. We only need one win to see the whole thing turn round.

As for next season - I think the whole strategy has been based on the chance of needing to bounce back. We have a better squad than we did when we tore the division apart in the second half of last season and none of them will be out of contract (except possibly Wayne) before next season nor are they over paid. We'll only lose the loan players. If we mange 17th we'll have plenty of money to really improve the squad, if not we'll have wiped out most of the debts and still have a squad we can afford with the parachute payment. It's a pretty difficult balancing act, but it seems okay at the moment.

smileysmith
13-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Out of interest ... do people really think we'll hang onto Torghelle if we go down at the end of this season???

Malakite
13-09-2004, 03:26 PM
What we must NOT do at all costs, like mentioned above, is start the 'panic spending' like we did last time around...look what happened then :(

We must NOT have a repeat of this...look at Charlton and West Brom..they both went down..did NOT panic, kept the same set of players..added a couple, and both bounced back even stronger the following year..and that is what we must try and do

Pistike
13-09-2004, 03:27 PM
There are 15 games between now and then.

45 points and I reckon we need something short of 20.

If Dowie stays we have some chance of fighting our way out of the bottom 3.

GUCCI Eagle
13-09-2004, 03:31 PM
I don't think we'll get any more than the 1 we already have.

Pistike
13-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by smileysmith
Out of interest ... do people really think we'll hang onto Torghelle if we go down at the end of this season???

I hope so, I really hope so.

From what I've seen we can do a WBA if we can keep Sanyi (by which I mean we might go straight back up and then spend another 12 months suffering at the foot of the table).

Pistike
13-09-2004, 03:34 PM
I think I liked that weemonkey fella better!

Beanie
13-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by smileysmith
Why not? If he scores loads and attracts offers we won't go down, if he doesn't score why would there be offers? Bit like AJ really. And in any case with 3 years of a deal to run we could easily make any potential fee either so high nobody would match it, or if they did, high enough so we could do well out of it.

GUCCI Eagle
13-09-2004, 04:12 PM
That Sanyi bloke looks like Plug from the Bash Street Kids innit.