PDA

View Full Version : player loans to AFC Wombles

fnord
16-09-2004, 02:16 PM
any of the reserve team followers know anything about these two? don't remember seeing the names before

Thursday 16 September 2004
first team squad
Anderson announces loan signings

Following the recent injuries to Steve Butler and Matt Everard, Dave Anderson today announced that the club has signed two young central defenders from Crystal Palace on loan.

Glenn Wilson and Jay Conroy have both featured in the Palace reserve squad this season and are well-regarded by the Premiership club. Conroy also played an hour for The Dons away at Brentford in pre-season and so will be familiar to some supporters.

Anderson said "I'm very grateful to Crystal Palace for their help. We were faced with a situation where Steve and Matt won't be available for a few weeks. We have a big cup game away to Dover on Saturday and the visit from Hastings, who are in form at the moment, in the league the following week.

"No non-league club would loan out a decent player at this stage of the season, as they won't want anyone cup-tied.

"Jay played for us pre-season and will do a job for us. Glenn Wilson is also highly thought of at Palace, and I'd like to thank Bob and Iain Dowie for their help in getting this deal done today. It's certainly a vote of confidence in how we do things here that Crystal Palace are willing to loan the lads out to us.

"I'd also like to thank Trevor Williams for running around and making sure all the paperwork and so on has been done properly so that they are available for Saturday.

"Having these two with us certainly doesn't give us the next round, but it gives us a chance, and I will certainly be sleeping much easier tonight, knowing it's done."

The loan deal is initially for one month from today, and special permission was needed from Crystal Palace for the two players to play in the FA Cup.

Latvian Eagle
16-09-2004, 02:27 PM
I have heard of both. Glen Wilson featured in the second half of last seasons friendly vs Brescia. He won the most improved youngster in 2002/03. He's a center back, who has been in the reserve team for about 2-3 seasons now. Jay Conroy I think was originally a right back, but has since moved into the center. I haven't seen him play though.

fnord
16-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Wilson not bad then? ta

N Herts Eagle
16-09-2004, 05:43 PM
He was on the bench on Monday night for the reserves which was a strong side did not come on Darren Powell and Sorondo played the whole game

Webb
16-09-2004, 06:17 PM
I went to school with Jay Conroy's elder brother who was a very decent player himself and he told me lots of times that his brother was a very very good player in the making.

I think he may of played left back on a few occsions aswell.

weh8millwall
16-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Glenn Wilson is quite a handy young defender by all accounts, a lot of potential there. Not heard much about Jay Conroy except a rumour that he had a bit of an attitude problem. Then again as always with Palace it's probably just bullshit...

arussell
17-09-2004, 09:22 AM
I've been impressed with Glenn Wilson, who's coming along nicely.

This will do him some good (playing in front of a crowd) and will get him a bit more experience under his belt. Hopefully he can then spend a month or two at a lower league club afterwards.

Benzhiyi
17-09-2004, 11:33 AM
This is evidently an offshoot of our new affiliation with AFC. Good news.

Windom Earle
17-09-2004, 11:40 AM
I liked Glen Wilson when i saw him. Looked pretty good on the ball.

Dartford Lad
17-09-2004, 02:09 PM
One of my best mates, Anthony Howard, is currently at the back for AFC so I should be able to get some good feedback from him on how they fare over the next month.

CK
17-09-2004, 03:54 PM
An AFC supporter I know mentioned this to me at lunchtime. I am to pass on their thanks as they have a few tough games coming up he said.

jazman
17-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Why is it other Prem sides have links with some top European sides whiel we have a link with AFC Wimbledon?

Sussex Eagle
17-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by jazman
Why is it other Prem sides have links with some top European sides whiel we have a link with AFC Wimbledon?

Name one? Man United, the club with the best setup in the country, is linked with a middling Belgian team. Arsenal are linked to some African soccer schools, I think. Weren't Chelsea linked with Kingstonian previously? We aren't an established Premiership club, and I think this is a great opportunity for young Palace players to play in front of thousands of fans, against physically tough opposition. The technical level obviously shouldn't be too testing for them, but I think it's a pretty good test of a youngster's mettle.

Sodermalm
17-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Although it may be good experience for our young players, I'd rather we didn't help Wimbledon. In a few years time they may be competing against us !!!

Although I respect AFC's level of support at non-league level, their fans' attitude at Whyteleafe and in particular their abuse of an ex-player did them no credit at all. Hopefully Dulwich's form will have picked up by the time the Dons visit.

Dartford Lad
17-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Name one? Man United, the club with the best setup in the country, is linked with a middling Belgian team. Arsenal are linked to some African soccer schools, I think. Weren't Chelsea linked with Kingstonian previously? We aren't an established Premiership club, and I think this is a great opportunity for young Palace players to play in front of thousands of fans, against physically tough opposition. The technical level obviously shouldn't be too testing for them, but I think it's a pretty good test of a youngster's mettle.

Chelsea are linked with Westerlo, Man United with Antwerp and Arsenal with Beveren.

All these are in Belgium and are to get around work permit regulations. Dong Fangzhou of Man United will play in Antwerp for the next two seasons for example.

Latvian Eagle
17-09-2004, 04:10 PM
And that's the reason why Kolo Toure doesn't need a work permit of rArsenal I believe. His brother is also at Beveren, and they're likely to sign him after this season.

Man Utd's has never been a great relationship. Wasn't there two players banned from playing n Belgium after a fight or something?

Dartford Lad
17-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
And that's the reason why Kolo Toure doesn't need a work permit of rArsenal I believe. His brother is also at Beveren, and they're likely to sign him after this season.

Man Utd's has never been a great relationship. Wasn't there two players banned from playing n Belgium after a fight or something?

Yeah, Ronnie Wallwork and Danny Higginbottom!

They have three players out there currently - Souleymane Mamam (Togo), Dong Fangzhou (China) and Arthur Gomez (Gambia).

There are about 5 or 6 ex or current Chelsea players in the Westerlo side.

Sussex Eagle
17-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Dartford Lad
Chelsea are linked with Westerlo, Man United with Antwerp and Arsenal with Beveren.

All these are in Belgium and are to get around work permit regulations. Dong Fangzhou of Man United will play in Antwerp for the next two seasons for example.

Fair enough, but not exactly "top european sides".

Dartford Lad
17-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Fair enough, but not exactly "top european sides".

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just trying to be clever with my useless footie knowledge! :p :)

I think Tottenham have a loose link with FC Copenhagen and West Brom with Hvidovre in Denmark aswell.

Sussex Eagle
17-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Of course, given SJ's apparent plans for building a 'global brand', we probably will attempt something like that sooner or later. Can I recommend this lot (http://www.deportivowanka.8k.com/)?