PDA

View Full Version : What position(s) do we need players in and in what order of priority?

glaziers fan
20-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Now we've seen most of the players let's look through the squad:

Speroni (dodgy on occasions but will come good)
Kiraly (excellent back-up)

Goalkeeper seems fine

Boyce (has done ok)
Leigertwood (good cover)
Butterfield (will be good enough)

Right-back is ok

Hudson (Has been inconsistent but has shown he has ability to make it)
Popovic (Bad own goals, but has done ok other than that)
Hall (gives us much needed pace at the back
Powell, Boyce, Leigertwood, Sorondo (cover)

central defence is ok

Granville (exposed)
Borrowdale (young and inexperienced)

NEED A LEFT-BACK!

Routledge (3 assists)
Kolkka (right-footed)
AJ (if need be)

Right wing is ok.

Aki (Has done better than expected)
Hughes (Has looked up to it when playing)
Watson (Has come from nowhere and has creativity)
Freedman, Kaviedes are strikers who could create from midfield

Central midfield lacks numbers and we NEED ONE QUALITY CREATIVE MIDFIELDER.

Kolkka (right-footed)

NEED A NEW LEFT WINGER

Torghelle (strong)
AJ (Palace legend)
Ventola (Italian International!)
Freedman, Kaviedes, Shipps, Andrews (cover)

Have enough in this department.

That means that in the transfer window we need 3 players:

LEFT-BACK to replace Granville who hasn't cut it in the Premiership
CREATIVE MIDFIELDER to take pressure off Watson
LEFT-WINGER as Kolkka hasn't looked comfortable and we have no cover there anyway!

Assuming we are 3rd from bottom in the transfer window, who should we sign?

I think we should look to sign young talent who want to prove themselves in the Premiership but who have cut it in the Championship and who have the ability to cut it in the Premiership.

I think that left wing and left back are the 2 positions we definitely need players in, and central midfield if the right player becomes available.

Personally I think we should try and sign Arca and Reid. People may think these players are out of our league, but Jordan has money. We have spent on the squad so far. Now it's time to sign 2 QUALITY players who will strengthen at present our 2 weakest positions. They would be good investments even if they would cost quite a bit in transfer fees.

NZsparky
21-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Yep, thats about how I see it.

cpfc_spc1982
21-09-2004, 06:51 AM
cant see arca or reid wanting to join us. by january if things continue it will be very hard to attract even good championship players i would have thought.

Benzhiyi
21-09-2004, 07:21 AM
In an ideal world we need new players in every position, possibly with the exception of right back.

Priorities, though, must be a central midfielder and a left back.

DougieFreedman9
21-09-2004, 07:41 AM
The way i see it there is no-one in our side not capable of cutting it in this division and on a day without mistakes we could compete with nearly anyone except the obvious exceptions!
Unfortunately at the moment it seems they are taking it turns of cocking up which is costing us dearly! Maybe a left back as cover for Granville as mayber Borrowdale is too young, but imho Granville bar the city game has been one of our better players!
We are good enough, we have got the players, we just nead to believe in our ability stop starting the game badly and cut out the silly erorrs!
COME ON YOU EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Dogers
21-09-2004, 07:44 AM
If we are ok in every position but 2 why are we losing every game with ststs like 3 attempts on goal to the oppos 10?

Speroni does not look confident enough in bossing the box to play at this level, we play mostly with a defensive (Wayne apart) midfield and yet let players run through us as though we are not there, central defense make regular howlers, back off all the time and let guys shoot and frequently fail to pick up unmarked attackers.

I think we have got in 11 or so blokes with few exceptions, no better or possibly worse than what we already had and due to that, have a disjointed team (Unlike Norwich) who seem to lack basic organisation.

Maybe the answer was to try harder to get the few quality players we went for, Cahill, Carrick etc and less journeymen to give us some cerative ability to add to the pace, team spirit and organiastion we already had in abundance??

Scoot
21-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Ron Dogers
If we are ok in every position but 2 why are we losing every game with ststs like 3 attempts on goal to the oppos 10?

Because although Dowie thinks we are not being cut open by teams, sadly our midfield is ... every game.
IMHO Left back is a problem. Midfield I think will be better if we stick Butts in there alongside Hughes.

cpfc_spc1982
21-09-2004, 07:54 AM
not really much we can do till januray anyway. we might stand a better chance to knick games if we were solid but we are anything but that and that doesnt just include the defence , the ease in which teams pass straight through our midfield is laughable. id definatly revert to 3 centre midfields.

st albans
21-09-2004, 07:56 AM
agree with most of that, although not sure what you mean by Ben Watson coming from nowhere

LP
21-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Totally agree with the original poster. I mean obviously we could add 10 new faces to the current squad....but being realistic we desperately need a quality central midfield player, a quality replacement for Gray on the left and another left back.

Panther
21-09-2004, 09:26 AM
The absolute priority must be midfield.

Braders
21-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Yep need a left back,two midfielders, and then 17th place will easily be reached for survival.

ANDYEAGLE
21-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Braders
Yep need a left back,two midfielders, and then 17th place will easily be reached for survival.

Agree with that left back,central and left side of midfield. These have to be premier quality players to even give us a chance of finishing 17th.I think you are a bit optimistic on the easily.

MAFL
21-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Arca would be a great signing.

Ron Dogers
21-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
Agree with that left back,central and left side of midfield. These have to be premier quality players to even give us a chance of finishing 17th.I think you are a bit optimistic on the easily.

This is the point I was trying to make...........No point in adding to the staff and wage bill unless they add something we don't already have.

The only signings I feel really comfortable with so far are Boyce (who is s decent full back, given the step up he has made) and despite his miss saturday, Sandy T, and Ventola (is that how it's spelt?) who can at least add something going forward.

I just can't understand the comments like "we are ok" we so far are not

KennyB
21-09-2004, 11:58 AM
I have always said (and some of you have disagreed, I know) that we need a LEFT FOOTED left winger. It enables them to go round the outside as well as cutting in - more options, more unsettling for the opposition's defence.

Also, a left-footed attacking left back gives us more forward momentum on the break, and that is why I think ID persists with DG. I do rate the guy but he does seem to be our weak link at the moment (and that is also what all the papers said after the Man C game).

Do we have another left-footed defender?

So, my comments on the original (well constructed) post by GF would be to say "spot-on".

And I would like to see Watson get a 90 min runout tonight.

Elephant with mouse gyp
21-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Haven't seen Sorondo yet, but so far the central defenders have all looked abysmal. I was hoping we'd get someone like Gabbidon, who is at least quick and proven at international level, if buying British, not players like Boyce, Hudson and Hall. Powell and Leigertwood won't cut it either, I fear.

Until we get the centre of defence and keeper sorted out, we'll continue to leak goals. The full-backs aren't in any better state but that centre-back/keeper triangle is more important defensively. If I was Dowie I'd be desperate to sign an exprerienced out-of-contract centre-back as soon as possible. There must be some around. Fund the wages by flogging Pops.

nicky
21-09-2004, 12:22 PM
We need a creative central midfielder and a left back

I dont think we urgently need a left winger, because playing with two wingers at this level leaves the centre midfield badly undermanned. Better to play 3 central midfielders and give Routledge the freedom to try both wings.

Scoot
21-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Haven't seen Sorondo yet, but so far the central defenders have all looked abysmal. I was hoping we'd get someone like Gabbidon, who is at least quick and proven at international level, if buying British, not players like Boyce, Hudson and Hall.
Sorry Gyp but I have to disagree with you on this point. Those 3 are very good players and I still feel that it is the middle that is letting us down BIG TIME. If we could keep the ball and string two passes together without loosing posesion then the backs would not be quite so damn busy

The Vicar
21-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Priorities, though, must be a central midfielder and a left back.

Quite agree, and in that order.

Santos-er
21-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Sorry, but the only players who have looked even remotely good enough are Hudson and (rather surprisingly!) Aki. I would like to see us make a few loan signings in January - Scott Parker (who can't even get on the bench at Chelski), and although unlikely - Clichy from Arse? (will never start for them while Cole is fit). You never know until you ask.... see if we can get Henry while we're at it :D

The rest of them are just not up to the premiership. With better players around them Hall, Routledge and Torghelle would be able to hold their own but I think that's where it ends. It was obvious to see that when Ventola came on just how poor the rest of them are. He is an average Serie A forward, but compared to the rest of them he looked like he could really do a job for us this season. Unless we get in some serious talent in January, we will be relegated with the lowest points total ever. The way things are going, we'll be lucky to get 10 points. Even if we do get in some decent players, by January it will probably be too late.

Maybe it's not a bad thing - although we have few players up to the premiership, i'm pretty sure that the like of Kolkka, Hall, Torghelle and Boyce will do us good service in "the championship" next season. Assuming we are relegated, we'll be a lot better placed for a serious promotion challenge than we would have been this season - and who knows if Dowie would still be here had we not been promoted?

GreatGonzo
21-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Forest are currently facing relegation at the moment (early days) if that continues Reid will move in January.

Crewe are down there as well so cash for Ashton would seem appealing.

Arca would be nice but Sunderland would not sell while a chance of automatic and a very good chance of teh play offs!

hernehilleagle
21-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Another central mifielder

BW_Palace
21-09-2004, 01:05 PM
I was talking to my friend about Scott Parker - seems possible - can't get to the Chelsea squad.

Would he became THE most hated man in Charlton if he moved to us? ;)

TheCharmer
21-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by KennyB
I have always said (and some of you have disagreed, I know) that we need a LEFT FOOTED left winger. It enables them to go round the outside as well as cutting in - more options, more unsettling for the opposition's defence.

Also, a left-footed attacking left back gives us more forward momentum on the break, and that is why I think ID persists with DG. I do rate the guy but he does seem to be our weak link at the moment (and that is also what all the papers said after the Man C game).

Do we have another left-footed defender?

So, my comments on the original (well constructed) post by GF would be to say "spot-on".

And I would like to see Watson get a 90 min runout tonight.

This is nonsense.

Pires at Arsenal is right footed and he s one of the best left sided midfielders in the Premiership. If a winger on the left side is right footed he can cut in and get shot s off on his stronger side more easier. And by cutting inside to his stronger side, leave a natural gap for for left back to run into and support the attack.
But i do agree we need competition in both left sided position s, and a central midfielder.
Parker would be superb and is a obvious candidate for a loan deal, not sure about Clichy as it would leave Arsenal short of cover on the left side of defence.

glaziers fan
21-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by TheCharmer
This is nonsense.

Pires at Arsenal is right footed and he s one of the best left sided midfielders in the Premiership. If a winger on the left side is right footed he can cut in and get shot s off on his stronger side more easier. And by cutting inside to his stronger side, leave a natural gap for for left back to run into and support the attack.
But i do agree we need competition in both left sided position s, and a central midfielder.
Parker would be superb and is a obvious candidate for a loan deal, not sure about Clichy as it would leave Arsenal short of cover on the left side of defence.

I'm not against a right footed left winger as long as they can cross with their left, BUT when you have that, you need a fast overlapping left-fullback to cover the space left by the winger and to keep the width. Arsenal have the best attacking left fullback in the world.

glaziers fan
21-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by The Vicar
Quite agree, and in that order.

Don't agree. Are Aki/Hughes/Watson weak links? Aki + Hughes have done very well breaking up the play. Watson will do well as a creative force. We lack in midfield going forward on the left-side, and that's why Granville + Kolkka are our weak links at present. Granville doesn't have the pace to be able to play with Kolkka and he's also our worst defender. He is the weakest link, SO LEFT-BACK SHOULD BE THE PRIORITY.. It could be argued that if we had wingers, then 2 defensive central midfielders would be ok. I'd therefore say that a LEFT-WINGER IS THE NEXT MOST IMPORTANT, especially at that is the system that Dowie wants to play. It says a lot that there is no left-footed winger at the club, and only one left winger in total! That is absolute madness!

Chief Brody
21-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Kolkka (right-footed) - He is two footed.

Kolkka (right-footed) - He is two footed

NEED A NEW LEFT WINGER - Another left winger for competition.

We have Derry to cover the left wing!

GreatGonzo
21-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Derry is a very makeshift left sided player and is certainly NOT a left winger!

The only reason he played at Cardiff in that role was the only other option was a player described on the BBS as 'the human victory cigar'.

Its not good enough for top flight football, we need players who can play the position well and we need 2 for each position. We should have a quality squad of 22 at least.

Windom Earle
21-09-2004, 02:34 PM
I'm not so bothered about a left back as I think Granville has shown to be one of our most experienced and reliable players. Borrowdale hasn't had a go yet so we don't know how he'll perform at a higher level. Then of course there is my favourite palace player: NATHAN SIMPSON. Who in 2 years will be palace's first choice left back and in 5 years englands first choice left back!

But otherwise I agree with you.

There are two priorities. A left winger and a centre midfielder.

Otherwise our squad has decent cover in most places as well as youngsters looking to fill in here and there if there was an injury crisis.

Have there been any left wingers in the youth or reserve teams recently? Otherwise it would be nice to get a decent left winger in plus a young left winger with potential.

Then obviously the centre midfielder. A number of the signings we had tried to get would have been great. (Cahill, CIsse, Carrick) so hopefully we will eventually get that quality central midfielder everyone wants.

Eagles!

Chief Brody
21-09-2004, 02:35 PM
I'd therefore say that a LEFT-WINGER IS THE NEXT MOST IMPORTANT, especially at that is the system that Dowie wants to play. It says a lot that there is no left-footed winger at the club, and only one left winger in total! That is absolute madness!

It says a lot that some fans claim NOT to have seen Kolkka cross with his left peg. Was I the only person on Saturday who saw Kolkka have a left foot cross blocked by Mills, get up and cross for Ventola (with his right)?

It says a lot that he is TWO FOOTED........... something 75% of premiership players AREN'T!

It says a lot that so many times our players have not passed to him. How about giving him the ball a bit more and then if he has not produced the performances in a half a dozen more games, drop him?Seems fair enough to me.

Chief Brody
21-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Derry is a very makeshift left sided player and is certainly NOT a left winger!

The only reason he played at Cardiff in that role was the only other option was a player described on the BBS as 'the human victory cigar'.

Its not good enough for top flight football, we need players who can play the position well and we need 2 for each position. We should have a quality squad of 22 at least.

Sorry, that was my attempt at sarcasm!

The Vicar
21-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Don't agree. Are Aki/Hughes/Watson weak links? Aki + Hughes have done very well breaking up the play. Watson will do well as a creative force. We lack in midfield going forward on the left-side, and that's why Granville + Kolkka are our weak links at present. Granville doesn't have the pace to be able to play with Kolkka and he's also our worst defender. He is the weakest link, SO LEFT-BACK SHOULD BE THE PRIORITY.. It could be argued that if we had wingers, then 2 defensive central midfielders would be ok. I'd therefore say that a LEFT-WINGER IS THE NEXT MOST IMPORTANT, especially at that is the system that Dowie wants to play. It says a lot that there is no left-footed winger at the club, and only one left winger in total! That is absolute madness!

I'm not a big fan of Granville, although I do think he has improved somewhat since he was dropped last year.

I agree that we need a left back, and also a left footed winger. I just think those are priorities #2 and #3.

However, it is crystal clear in my mind that our top priority, bar none, numero uno needs to be a central midfielder who has some creativity and is comfortable on the ball. Why do I say this? Because our biggest problem from my perspective has been how we sweat blood to win the ball, and then give it away very cheaply. This puts pressure on the defense, the midfield needs to sweat blood again, and the forwards get little service.

The re-introduction of Hughes has helped a bit, but he is getting on. What happens when he is injured or suspended? We really have no one else who can play this role. I've been saying it for a while, and after watching the first 20 minutes against Portsmouth (albeit without Hughes) it couldn't have been more obvious.

Watson is just too lightweight and inexperienced to think he's ready to set the premiership on fire.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree on the heirarchy of the 3 priorities...;)

Windom Earle
21-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Oh my god, i agree with Gonzo for once. Please not derry on the left wing, ever again!!!

KennyB
22-09-2004, 12:37 PM
I'm not against a right footed left winger as long as they can cross with their left, BUT when you have that, you need a fast overlapping left-fullback to cover the space left by the winger and to keep the width. Arsenal have the best attacking left fullback in the world.

Thanks for your support gf.

I wish people (ealrlier on in the thread) wouldn't accuse me of nonsense, and then go on about the 1 (always the same) example, namely multi-million Pires in a multi-multi-million pound set-up.

I am talking about Palace on this board, and I still say a left-footed winger is preferable to a right-footed left winger.

Sorry if anyone thinks it is nonsense.

Ron Dogers
22-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Anyone looked at the league table or even match stats, the oppo always seem to have about 4-5 time more attempts on goal than us?

Maybe against Chelsk ok but a very average Man city side who looked very nervous until they realised they had the beating of us.

Having 2 for every position is something to aim for over a few years not just a bums on seats approach as I keep saying that what we have got in is mostly no better than we had. I feel the answer should have been and if it's not too late for the future, is to go for quality alone to try and make a difference rather than journeymen who don't seem to fit in to a very established overall pattern of play.

glaziers fan
23-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by The Vicar
I'm not a big fan of Granville, although I do think he has improved somewhat since he was dropped last year.

I agree that we need a left back, and also a left footed winger. I just think those are priorities #2 and #3.

However, it is crystal clear in my mind that our top priority, bar none, numero uno needs to be a central midfielder who has some creativity and is comfortable on the ball. Why do I say this? Because our biggest problem from my perspective has been how we sweat blood to win the ball, and then give it away very cheaply. This puts pressure on the defense, the midfield needs to sweat blood again, and the forwards get little service.

The re-introduction of Hughes has helped a bit, but he is getting on. What happens when he is injured or suspended? We really have no one else who can play this role. I've been saying it for a while, and after watching the first 20 minutes against Portsmouth (albeit without Hughes) it couldn't have been more obvious.

Watson is just too lightweight and inexperienced to think he's ready to set the premiership on fire.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree on the heirarchy of the 3 priorities...;)

We can, but after watching the Hartlepool game, I'm more than convinced that Granville is our weak link. Kolkka had his best game for the club yet and in central midfield we have Aki, Hughes plus Watson, Soares and Kaviedes in a more attacking central midfield position, and the latter 3 are coming on nicely.

Interesting about NATHAN SIMPSON though. I've seen him play a few times. Looks good + quick, but a little short for a left-back. Do you think he'll make it ARussell? I think his game is definitely more suitable to Premiership football than Granville/Borrowdale

Iandeagle
23-09-2004, 05:50 AM
We need a decent midfielder. If we got a leftback first, then the opposition would just move onto the next weakest link in our defence & so on. We need to have the ball more, its as simple as that.
More ball=less pressure on defence=more confidence=more chances=more goals=more points=happier supporters=less moaning on the BBS=more threads about our fantastic future.

Bring on the clowns!!

Panther
23-09-2004, 08:55 AM
Granville is our weak link. Kolkka had his best game for the club yet and in central midfield we have Aki, Hughes plus Watson, Soares and Kaviedes

Granville is certainly a weak link but IMO the midfielders you've mentioned are not up to it in Prem terms in any combination - in Watson and Soares cases not up to it yet at least and it's too early to comment on IK both because we don't know where he will play nor how good he's going to be. If you've two weak areas, one of which is midfield and the other full back I would say that midfield is the more important to rectify. Teams can win things with dodgy full backs but not with dodgy midfields.

cumbo
25-09-2004, 12:33 PM
i cant believe more of you are not talking about this keeper.he is poor and i think his teamates know it as well.thats no good for confidence is it?they need to get really mean in defence if we are to have any chance,if it stays as it is we are screwed!people are saying we are down already,i dont believe that.we have lots of fight and maybe with a decent keeper and some class in midfield we'll be ok!keep the faith.....

palace da best!
26-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Now we've seen most of the players let's look through the squad:

Speroni (dodgy on occasions but will come good)
Kiraly (excellent back-up)

Goalkeeper seems fine

Boyce (has done ok)
Leigertwood (good cover)
Butterfield (will be good enough)

Right-back is ok

Hudson (Has been inconsistent but has shown he has ability to make it)
Popovic (Bad own goals, but has done ok other than that)
Hall (gives us much needed pace at the back
Powell, Boyce, Leigertwood, Sorondo (cover)

central defence is ok

Granville (exposed)
Borrowdale (young and inexperienced)

NEED A LEFT-BACK!

Routledge (3 assists)
Kolkka (right-footed)
AJ (if need be)

Right wing is ok.

Aki (Has done better than expected)
Hughes (Has looked up to it when playing)
Watson (Has come from nowhere and has creativity)
Freedman, Kaviedes are strikers who could create from midfield

Central midfield lacks numbers and we NEED ONE QUALITY CREATIVE MIDFIELDER.

Kolkka (right-footed)

NEED A NEW LEFT WINGER

Torghelle (strong)
AJ (Palace legend)
Ventola (Italian International!)
Freedman, Kaviedes, Shipps, Andrews (cover)

Have enough in this department.

That means that in the transfer window we need 3 players:

LEFT-BACK to replace Granville who hasn't cut it in the Premiership
CREATIVE MIDFIELDER to take pressure off Watson
LEFT-WINGER as Kolkka hasn't looked comfortable and we have no cover there anyway!

Assuming we are 3rd from bottom in the transfer window, who should we sign?

I think we should look to sign young talent who want to prove themselves in the Premiership but who have cut it in the Championship and who have the ability to cut it in the Premiership.

I think that left wing and left back are the 2 positions we definitely need players in, and central midfield if the right player becomes available.

Personally I think we should try and sign Arca and Reid. People may think these players are out of our league, but Jordan has money. We have spent on the squad so far. Now it's time to sign 2 QUALITY players who will strengthen at present our 2 weakest positions. They would be good investments even if they would cost quite a bit in transfer fees.

our left is weak just like last season but granny isen't that bad but i do agree we need a midfeilder

glaziers fan
26-09-2004, 01:19 PM
After watching the Aston Villa match, I thought our central midfield was competant :)

Hughes is back to his best
Aki is in the form of his life
Watson is performing at Premiership level
Soares looks like making it too!

Kiraly means we don't need a keeper.

Popovic + Hall were solid. Hudson is good back-up.

Boyce is excellent cover for Butterfiled.

Kolkka is good cover for Routledge.

AJ, Ventola, Kaviedes, Torghelle will score enough goals.

THERE ARE 2 POSITIONS THAT NEED IMPROVING.

Left-back. Granville is our weak link. We need to get someone fast + good in the air who could play here.

Left-wing. Kolkka is good, but is he Premiership class? We need someone who takes them on more. Also we have no-one else as cover anyway in this position.

Therefore when the transfer window opens I'm praying we sign:

Julio Arca (2.5m)
Andy Reid (5m)

These would be sizeable investments, but they are players who have proven they can hack it at the highest level and they would be resaleable if we needed to sell.

MKCPFC
06-10-2004, 04:15 PM
After watching the Aston Villa match, I thought our central midfield was competant :)

Kiraly means we don't need a keeper.

I think the improvement in the defence with Kiraly in the side might prove that we do need another keeper.

What if Kiraly he gets injured ?

Would be good to have another quality keeper as backup.
Don't think it would be good to put Speroni back in the team in the middle of a relegation scrap which we may well be in.

Ollie Ox
06-10-2004, 05:33 PM
For a team in our position with our financial restraints i think Speroni is ok as a back up.

KennyB
07-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Following the Hartlepool, Villa and Fulham results I must admit that Kolkka has impressed me. He specifically used his left foot on a large number of crosses (has he been reading my postings??).

He is taking the game to the opposition and getting in shots (on target).

So, my concern now is:-

A back-up for AJ in case he gets injured/suspended

A big centreforward (somehow Torghelle hasn't yet made the grade)

A left back (DG doing ok now, but who would be his stand-in, or who would even challenge for his place to keep him looking over his shoulder?)

A replacement/cover for Aki. You could see the hole developing when he went off against Fulham.

Ron Dogers
08-10-2004, 07:32 AM
Strange that, albeit with a different system, we played Monday with almosT last years team!

New keeper but one has been needed for ages.
Hall is almost like an old CPFC fave as ID has raved about him for so long
Boyce in as Danny is injured but will have a fight on to get back
Kolka in as Jules was always going
Centre midfiled of existing players!

cpfc_spc1982
08-10-2004, 07:41 AM
cover in all left sided positions in the new formation. left sided centre back , left back , left centre midfield and left midfield.
gk kiraly speroni
rb boyce butterfield leigertwood togwell
lb granville borrowdale ....... maybe as both are kinda weak
rcb hall hudson leigertwood powell serondo
lcb popovic ........
hm aki derry leigertwood
rcm watson danze soares aki derry butterfield
lcm hughes ...........
rm wayne black berry soares aj lakis andrews
lm kolkka ..........
str aj dougie shipps andrews ventola torghelle kaviedes

MKCPFC
11-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Said it before , sorry must say it again.
We need another goalkeeper. If Kiraly , who is in top 4 Keepers in Premiership IMO, gets injured or suspended we will be in serious trouble.

Speroni is not up to the job.
Three shots last night , two goals . Great shotstopper ? No!
Seems to make every save he makes look harder than it is.
Talk of a club of our status not being able to afford anything better
than Speroni is wrong . At the moment we are Premiership status and we have got to try and stay there .
I am sure there are keepers in the Championship and League one who would consider coming to Palace as a squad member that would do a better job and they would not cost a great deal.

sydnsteve
11-11-2004, 03:50 PM
I agree. We cannot take the chance that Sperroni will 'come good', as he might very well not. A second keeper is a high proirity now.

glaziers fan
12-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Really think we should be strengthening the first-team, not the reserves who have done ok so far, even if Speroni did make a few errors at Old Trafford. At the end of the day he was highly rated and is still young so can improve. In any case Kiraly is unlikely to get injured. Keepers are not usually injury prone (I know there are exceptions).

Kiraly has been fantastic

Popovic, Hall (and Boyce, Sorondo) have been brilliant in central defence.

Watson, Aki and Hughes have controlled midfield

AJ has been banging in the goals.

I feel the spine of the team is performing well. Just think we need to strengthen on the flanks. Butterfield returning to his peak would be excellent. Plus a return to form of WR, and the continued good form of Leigertwood and Lakis and Kolkka. But I still feel we need cover for Granville URGENTLY and a new left-winger as priorities.

fasteddie
12-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Left back does seem to be an issue, Danny G is a good player although his lack of pace always worries me. Who's out there? Any championship players of note?

glaziers fan
12-11-2004, 04:35 PM
I think that Danny Butterfield is excellent if we want to keep it tight, and although Danny G isn't the best, he is adequate. However if we are to get the best out of the system that we are currently using, the wingers have got to show more energy. WR used to be a real up-and-down player. He needs to start doing that again. Kolkka is good back-up, as is Lakis (who probably deserves to start ahead of Wayne at the moment), but we MUST get a new left-winger who is a genius with the ball. Gonzalez or Reid.

As for the full-backs, if this system is to work even more effectively, then they need to have pace. Leigertwood has the energy to run with the ball and could develop into an international class full-back. Granville and Borrowdale have no pace. We need someone over there who has the pace to get up and down the line.

fasteddie
12-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Leigertwood had a stormer against Arsenal, pulling out a couple of fancy dummies when his confidence was up. Definitely a better fullback than centre half but could he play on the left or is he totally right footed? Marlene has made the right back his at the moment, although obviously when Butters is back to full fitness, which I still don't reckon he is, it'll be interesting who starts.