PDA

View Full Version : Talks with Petit ?

Pages : [1] 2

Frazer1971
23-09-2004, 03:24 AM
Cut'n'Paste

Dowie wants a new Pet
By DAVE KIDD

CRYSTAL PALACE have launched a bid to bring Emmanuel Petit back to the Premiership.

The former France World Cupwinner has been without a club since being released by Chelsea in the summer and recently failed to agree terms with Bolton.

Palace boss Iain Dowie is desperate to bolster his squad after his Premiership new boys slumped to the bottom of the table.

And Petit, who turned 34 yesterday, is one of the few quality players available outside of the transfer window as he is a free agent.

Dowie must drive down midfielder Petit’s wage demands if a deal is to be struck.

He was on £40,000 a week at Stamford Bridge and although he is willing to take a pay cut, Palace are still some way off an agreement. Fulham have also showed an interest but have instead agreed a one-year deal with Youri Djorkaeff, who was also a free agent.

Petit has had disappointing spells at Barcelona and Chelsea since leaving Arsenal but Dowie believes he has the class to improve Palace.

Dowie also blasted BBC TV pundit Alan Hansen for claiming Palace — who have picked up only one point so far — are the worst team in Premiership history.

The Palace manager said: “It’s easy to criticise. If it was Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger saying those things then fine, because they understand the management game. But it’s Alan Hansen.”

------------------------
However, if he's not contracted to a club he must be nowhere near fully fit I hope he doesn't turn into a Brolin if we do get him

NB - Love the last quote "But it's Alan Hansen"

sydney eagle
23-09-2004, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Frazer1971
The Palace manager said: “It’s easy to criticise. If it was Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger saying those things then fine, because they understand the management game. But it’s Alan Hansen.”

[/B] that is absolutely fantastic:D:D:D

Frazer1971
23-09-2004, 03:31 AM
;)

Sussex Eagle
23-09-2004, 03:38 AM
Fantastic!!!! We're in for Petit and Iain is slagging that c*nt Hansen - it's like Christmas has come early.

Oh wait, it has (http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91932&highlight=mince).

chelmsfordeagle
23-09-2004, 04:34 AM
I really hope we get Petit. He has the ability to put his foot on the ball and add a bit of class to the team. He's good from set pieces and playing alongside a ball winner like Aki he could be a real asset.

His wages may be high but on a deal to the rest of the season i think it's a gamble worth taking.

TheCharmer
23-09-2004, 04:37 AM
Great signing if it happens, exactly what we need. Why s it taken so long for the penny to drop, we need sprinkle some experienced older Premiership players with our young squad?

Frazer1971
23-09-2004, 04:38 AM
What would clinch the deal, a massive play and pay deal, plus scoring bonus?

Free haircuts?

And what of the Agents fee?

Steady Simon, Steady - now open that wallet...

Steve H
23-09-2004, 05:05 AM
Sounds brilliant, let's hope it's not another transfer deal that'll fall through due to agents/wages/etc...

Hypodam
23-09-2004, 05:16 AM
Would be great if it happened. When the rumours first surfaced in the Summer that we might be after him I thought it would be a big mistake, but after the start we've had it looks like we could really do with him.

Iandeagle
23-09-2004, 05:38 AM
Yep, good idea but, lets have him on a pay per game deal... Its no good having a half fit Petit at 34. When did he last play? & is he in training with any club?

eaglei_uk
23-09-2004, 06:09 AM
I'd love to know how much he expects to be paid these days...

chelmsfordeagle
23-09-2004, 06:12 AM
hopefully we can get him for say 15K a week but then offer him a big bonus should we stay up

Lion
23-09-2004, 06:30 AM
Good news if true

Golf Boy
23-09-2004, 06:43 AM
It is worth taking the risk....we need that class in midfield.

Gooders
23-09-2004, 06:48 AM
I would guess he'll want £20,000 to £25,000 a week.

And a) I don't think Jordan will pay it and b) I'm not sure he's worth it anymore.

CPaul
23-09-2004, 06:51 AM
I think we need the twat.

Popester
23-09-2004, 07:05 AM
As long as he stays fit, would be a great signing.

Cleon
23-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Take him on a one year deal at £15,000 a week. That's £750k. It's not like he's doing much else at the moment.

Ollie Ox
23-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Worth a gamble especially considering how ineffective we've been

cpfc_spc1982
23-09-2004, 07:13 AM
pay as you play deal , he was injured an awful lot last year.

gold76
23-09-2004, 07:18 AM
Would be an excellent addition imo, but let's not get to carried away, not sure the watch-less wonder would stretch to his wages

MARK PALACE TILL I DIE
23-09-2004, 09:26 AM
He wont be the same player as the one we remember at Arsenal. If he were he would have been snapped up by now.

He would also still want big bucks in is wage packet.

Not for me this one. I would sooner see Aki running around giving 110% or young Watson given a chance.

All this means we will probably sign him.
:sob:

IW_Eagle
23-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Will help the younger players at the club as well...

Webb
23-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Got to worth a one year deal, as long as we don't go silly and meet OTT demands, as I'm sure we won't.

ozeagle
23-09-2004, 10:06 AM
3 words, it won't happen..

Malakite
23-09-2004, 10:09 AM
haha, you are probably correct my little Skillos, still ANYONE would seem an improvement on the current situation :(

Spender
23-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Would rather have gone for Djorkaef !

Batsta
23-09-2004, 10:18 AM
This might be worth a gamble. If we can knock him down to £20,000 a week.

stushirts
23-09-2004, 10:23 AM
pay him £20k a week and the rest in bonusses if we stay up

Eagle-28
23-09-2004, 10:31 AM
I cannot see Jordan agreeing to pay what he experts to earn in a week. Would be ok to see if he could contribute something but I can't see it happening.

PeterH
23-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by ozeagle
3 words, it won't happen..

Indeed.

1) He will want too much.

2) We will not even go halfway to meet these demands.

3) It is in the public domain, so someone else will now take him.

4) There must be more agents buzzing around than flies around sh1te.

AndyStreet
23-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by MARK PALACE TILL I DIE
Not for me this one. I would sooner see Aki running around giving 110% or young Watson given a chance.

You'd rather have a completely inexperienced teenager or a headless chicken with no passing ability than Emmanuel Petit?? :confused:

TheCharmer
23-09-2004, 10:53 AM

Nonsense.

Aki s done great so far, but he s a limited player and will struggle to keep up that work rate all season. And Watson is 20 and hardly set Div 1 alight, so your pinning all your hopes on him to keep us in the most competitive division in the World, rather than a World Cup winner.

Admitedly Petit was injured a lot at Chelsea, but his experience and know how about the place would prove invaluable to the like s of Watson and Danze.

So sign him on a bonus related scheme and you can't lose.

wedgetail
23-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
You'd rather have a completely inexperienced teenager or a headless chicken with no passing ability than Emmanuel Petit?? :confused:
I would take the Petit of 5 years ago but not the Petit of today.

TheCharmer
23-09-2004, 11:05 AM
so who would you go for then? Or are you happy with the midfield as it is, v Viera, Keane, Gerrard, etc

AndyStreet
23-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by wedgetail

How very generous of you. The Petit of 5 years was truly world class, so to say you'd have taken him then goes without saying. The Petit of today is however still bloody good (if he can stay injury free and fit) and a significant improvement on anything we currently have in midfield.

TheCharmer
23-09-2004, 11:10 AM
How very generous of you. The Petit of 5 years was truly world class, so to say you'd have taken him then goes without saying. The Petit of today is however still bloody good (if he can stay injury free and fit) and a significant improvement on anything we currently have in midfield.

Amen to that.

Some people just say, so and so s not good enough but then don't come up with an alternative. And then turn round and slag off the midfield at the weekend

cooper83
23-09-2004, 11:13 AM
I think some people here may be getting a little bit above their station, saying that they don't want the Petit of today here. Bottom line - we need quailty, Prem experience and a good midfield player who can influence and advise the youger players around him. In my opinion, Petit fits the bill for each of these criteria. Getting seemingly over the hill, once great players doesn't seem to have done the likes of Bolton any harm at all. Obviously we'd all love a champions league quality central midfielder in the prime of his career. But then most of us don't smoke crack and therefore realise that this is 100% impossible. The fact that Fulham, now an experienced Prem outfit, were also interested (and incidentally have signed Djorkaeff - another player rubbished on these boards when we were loosely linked) means that we certainly shouldn't be turning our noses up. Get real people, finances allowing - sign him up!

Freddy Kurz
23-09-2004, 11:15 AM

Provided he is fully fit, we can afford him, and
he still has an appetite for the game, he
is just the player who could give us a decent
chance to stay up. He has something, none
of our other players possess, vast experience
of the Premier League and of World Cup foot
ball, formidable skills and leadership qualities.
Just playing alongside a player of his qual-
ity would be a football education not only for
our younger players but all the senior members
of our squad.

wedgetail
23-09-2004, 11:16 AM
OK then we sign Petit on Β£1M per year and he can't be arsed to put in the effort, we then have no money left for a deal in the January window. Great plan...NOT
Petit was never world class.

Bartman
23-09-2004, 11:17 AM
On a one year deal - yes please. It's either that or capitulate completely and start selling our best players when the transfer window opens again, making sure that we are solvent and in a strong financial position next season - could also be an option.

AndyStreet
23-09-2004, 11:19 AM

Scored a goal in a World Cup final. Was a major part of France's most successful team ever. Won the double with Arsenal. Was a key factor in the development of Patrick Viera as one of, if not the, best midfielder in the world. I'm confused as to your definition of world class.

PhilD
23-09-2004, 11:22 AM
I think we're all in agreement that the midfield is nowhere near the standard required at this level. We desperately need some quality and experiance - Petit has both. He may not be as good as he once was, but he'd still significantly boost our midfield. Yes he's a gamble, but if we don't do something we'll be so far off the pace that by January it will be too late. If we have to pay £20k a week for him then in my opinion it would probably be worth it, there's no guarantee that he'd keep us up, but we would have a much better chance of competing with him than we currently do without him.

adrenalin john
23-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Popester
As long as he stays fit, would be a great signing.

That is the key if he succumbs to Harbin regime get's super fit and stays fit enough to play a game every week. He would defo be worth 15k a week and a 500k bonus if we stay up.

However personally I think the only person who will really benefit from this signing would be the Physio as he would add to his workload and job security.

Malakite
23-09-2004, 11:23 AM
1 player does not change a team, and unfortuneately we need about 4 or 5 to actually give us a chance of staying up :(

Lion
23-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Scored a goal in a World Cup final. Was a major part of France's most successful team ever. Won the double with Arsenal. Was a key factor in the development of Patrick Viera as one of, if not the, best midfielder in the world. I'm confused as to your definition of world class.

I'm confused too.

:confused:

tommoboy0
23-09-2004, 11:27 AM
A year ago us fans would be jumping with excitment that he would have been linked with us, now one year on with near enough the same midfield he is not good enough for our team, he has the premiership experience that we need, personally I'd take him if we had the chance!

Bryan the Eagle
So long as he is on a short term contract, reasonably fit and prepared to get stuck in, then why not!
Its along time until Jan and we need to stay in touch with bottom group, our midfield is a disaster at the moment, might just be the touch of class we need right now?

Freddy Kurz
OK then we sign Petit on Β£1M per year and he can't be arsed to put in the effort, we then have no money left for a deal in the January window. Great plan...NOT

Please read my provisos. You have no idea
of his present attitude any more than I.
That would be for Dowie and Harbin to decide.
As a regular member of the Gooners' Premier-
ship and Cup-winning team and the French
World Cup holder's side, Petit may or may not
have been world class, but how many of the
England team of the past 20 years would you
place in that category? Isn't the crucial
question: has he proved he is capable of
playing in the Premiership? And the answer
is a resounding YES!

Freddy Kurz
23-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Malakite
1 player does not change a team, and unfortuneately we need about 4 or 5 to actually give us a chance of staying up :

But why not make a start with Petit, with the
provisos I've already outlined above?

Riccardo
Is there really any point in waiting to sign players in the January transfer window ? Who will want to join us ? We'll probably already be down if we don't get a player(s) on free transfers like Petit now.

The only reason we'd wait until January to sign anyone will be to give them experience in the Premiership for the imminent Championship return...another Wayne Andrews for example.

doof
Petit was world class - FACT.

Because of our failure to sign a midfielder we MUST sign Petit - he is our only option and our only hope - FACT

He will want high wages but I think we must pay them - we can come to an agreement with bonuses etc.. but I think SJ has to bite the bullet with this one and pay high wages and agent fees if he wants to give us any chance of competing in this league. We don't need to cripple the club by signing him - I get the feeling that this is our last throw of the dice. I know it is still relatively early days etc.. but we are seriously lacking in midfield and the league table is looking more and more frightening. Signing Danze is a good move but he is one for the future, Admitedly Petit is one of the past but I think he can give us the experience and quality and can still do a job. PLUS players like Danze, Watson, Soares etc.. can learn from him. PLUS Petit's wife is hot - FACT :p

cpfc_spc1982
23-09-2004, 11:34 AM
i dont see petit as our saviour.

Jasper
23-09-2004, 11:35 AM
would be vital if we signed him, even if just for one season,

Shoreditch CPFC
23-09-2004, 11:35 AM
sign him up. People forget that he used to be a very capabale central defender before Wenger got hold of him. If he can't cut it in the midfield any more (and my gut feling is he probably can) then could still be an excellent option at the back.

Mr Palace
23-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Without doubt a fit Petit would vastly improve our midfield which, to date, has been well out of its depth. Why not offer him a contract until the end of the season and then release him if and when we go down?

Surely that's not taking too much of a financial risk and it's hardly as if we've spent any money anyway. There was no point even going up if we're not prepared to take a slight risk. I agree that he's probably no longer the player he was but he has to be an improvement on Aki, Hughes and Derry. Of course we don't want to risk the long-term financial stability of the club, but I'm not sure that this will do that.

Riccardo
23-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982

Can you expand on that and tell us who will be please ?

doof
23-09-2004, 11:41 AM

But who else can we get? What else can we do?

I don't see him as a saviour but as the only player who we can sign that has Premiership experience, plays in midfield and has quality. Our only other choice is to wait to January and even then we should be looking for someone like Petit

Riccardo
23-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Mr Palace
Without doubt a fit Petit would vastly improve our midfield which, to date, has been well out of its depth. Why not offer him a contract until the end of the season and then release him if and when we go down?

Surely that's not taking too much of a financial risk and it's hardly as if we've spent any money anyway. There was no point even going up if we're not prepared to take a slight risk. I agree that he's probably no longer the player he was but he has to be an improvement on Aki, Hughes and Derry. Of course we don't want to risk the long-term financial stability of the club, but I'm not sure that this will do that.

Excellent post....where have you been hiding ?

David of Kent
23-09-2004, 11:44 AM
We seem to be a club that agent's use to put their clients name out in the market to see if their is interest. This was happening a lot last season with Wolves, Leicester and Pompey after they came up.

glaziers fan
23-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Could he fill in at left-back? If he's really that good, I'm sure he would be able to.

nookiebear
23-09-2004, 11:47 AM
I just don't see it happening

GreatGonzo
23-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Malakite
1 player does not change a team, and unfortuneately we need about 4 or 5 to actually give us a chance of staying up :(

Edgar Davids - Barcalona - Last season

Care to challenge? ;)

Mr Palace
23-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks Riccardo. I've actually been hiding from the barrage of abuse I'm getting from my Chelsea supporting friends! Anyway, I agree we people that say we cannot afford to wait till January to strengthen the midfield as there's a good chance we'll be too far adrift by then.

I accept that we can't splash millions on players and run the risk of a Leeds-type scenario, but I'm not so sure that signing Petit on a free, even with his wages, would be a huge risk (one a one-year deal of course). I think we've got some very good young players that desperately need some experienced pros to help them out and Petit could be just the ticket.

cpfc_spc1982
23-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by doof

I don't see him as a saviour but as the only player who we can sign that has Premiership experience, plays in midfield and has quality. Our only other choice is to wait to January and even then we should be looking for someone like Petit

I get the feeling that this is our last throw of the dice.

thats what you said. have things come to that already? whose to say petit is still the same player he was at arsenal or monaco?

Chief Brody
23-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Riccardo
Excellent post....where have you been hiding ?

I agree. Mr Palace took the words out of my mouth............ and he hasn't been hiding, he has been Kolkka bashing............ he does have his weaknesses! ;)

jazman
23-09-2004, 11:52 AM
If he is fit and wanting to play then it would be a gamble that could pay off. At the end of the day his experience would valuable to a squad that is seriously short of class midfielders. This rumour has been doing the rounds for some time now but I hope we go for it - what have we got to lose.

And well in to ID for responding to Hansens comments of MOTD. So called pundits hide behind the fact that they couldn't cut it in the real world of football management. Let's see what he has to say when we beat Villa in Saturday.

AndyStreet
23-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Could he fill in at left-back? If he's really that good, I'm sure he would be able to.

Why would we want to play somebody who's won a World Cup and an English domestic double as a central midfielder at left-back?

cpfc_spc1982
23-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Mr Palace
Thanks Riccardo. I've actually been hiding from the barrage of abuse I'm getting from my Chelsea supporting friends! Anyway, I agree we people that say we cannot afford to wait till January to strengthen the midfield as there's a good chance we'll be too far adrift by then.

I accept that we can't splash millions on players and run the risk of a Leeds-type scenario, but I'm not so sure that signing Petit on a free, even with his wages, would be a huge risk (one a one-year deal of course). I think we've got some very good young players that desperately need some experienced pros to help them out and Petit could be just the ticket.

were weak in midfield , why dont we just play more numbers in there. 2 on 2 in centre midfield we are going to get outclassed by almost every side and then some play 3 anyway as well like chels did. if we play 3 on 2 even the biggest wallies playing pro football must be able to play triangles around the oppo or at least have simple passing options.

Freddy Kurz
23-09-2004, 12:00 PM

And your realistic alternative? Or should
we wait until January, by which time we
may well be relegation certainties, when
NO ONE WITH PREMIER LEAGUE AMBIT-
IONS will want to join us anyway? Sad
to say Palace do not have the luxury of
time to make such vital decisions.
Unattached quality players like Petit
able to move on before the transfer-
window re-opens in January, are very
few and far between.

Braders
23-09-2004, 12:02 PM
If Dowie believes Petit can do a job for us,then that's good enough for me.

cpfc_spc1982
23-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
And your realistic alternative? Or should
we wait until January, by which time we
may well be relegation certainties, when
NO ONE WITH PREMIER LEAGUE AMBIT-
IONS will want to join us anyway? Sad
to say Palace do not have the luxury of
time to make such vital decisions.
Unattached quality players like Petit
able to move on before the transfer-
window re-opens in January, are very
few and far between.

i was actually referring to someones elses comment when i said that , but peitit - yeh he was world class , no idea if he still is , but he is only one player.

Time
23-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Braders
If Dowie believes Petit can do a job for us,then that's good enough for me.

Likewise

Herts Eagle
23-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Get him, gie him 1mil+ a year, there is not transfer fee to pay either. Where are you ever going to get a proven class premiership midfielder for £1m now days.

Herts Eagle
23-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Get him, give him 1mil+ a year, there is not transfer fee to pay either. Where are you ever going to get a proven class premiership midfielder for £1m now days.

grovesy77
23-09-2004, 12:30 PM
I can't see the problem.
Yes it's a risk - but without him we will go down.
Fact is we don't have quality in the middle of the park.
Better to have Petit for the season than than go and buy another unproven in January.

hernehilleagle
23-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Would be a great signing, funny Dowie quote:p

DaveTuttles
23-09-2004, 12:59 PM
We could give him a £20,000 "pay as you play" deal. If he plays 20 games thats only £400,000, 40 games is £800,000. If he plays 40 games surely he is playing well enought to be in the team.If he is injured he doeusnt get paid!!

Simon read this!!!!!!

Gooders
23-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Does anyone know if any talks have taken place though, or is this just the usual kite-flying? After all, the currant bun told us 3 months ago that we'd signed some nutty Italian midfielder nicknamed Hannibal.

Big Fella
23-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Just the type of player we need. Of course he's not the same player from a few season ago - if he was we wouldn't be linked with him. But he has class and the one thing we lack - premiership quality. If we get the chance to sign him we should jump at it.

eagles #1
23-09-2004, 01:26 PM
wont fecking happen, has Dowie actually been quoted as saying were after him?

sjmac
23-09-2004, 01:29 PM
We seem to be a club that agent's use to put their clients name out in the market to see if their is interest. This was happening a lot last season with Wolves, Leicester and Pompey after they came up.

Totally agree. Gera was a good example, and it took Kiraly ages to sign because he was looking for a better deal. I would suspect that if we do agree a deal with Petit which sounds a long way off, we will only actually get him if no one else wants him.

mojoeagle
23-09-2004, 01:31 PM
I would snap him up, is worth the risk imo

Sick Bucket
23-09-2004, 01:39 PM
I would guess that coming to us would be a depressing prospect for Petit, what a great way to finish your career, relegation from the Prem with Palace on half the money you used to be on.

El Aguila
23-09-2004, 01:39 PM
He was pants at Barcelona.

GreatGonzo
23-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by sjmac
Totally agree. Gera was a good example, and it took Kiraly ages to sign because he was looking for a better deal. I would suspect that if we do agree a deal with Petit which sounds a long way off, we will only actually get him if no one else wants him.

Erm distinct lact of fact in that post unless you have information not readily available to the rest of us.

Gera was met at the airport on his way to talking to us by an agent who wanted to help him sign for West Brom, from being in the driving set we went to nowhere.

Kiraly was made an offer verbally which then wasn't followed through on in paper and so he was reluctant to sign.

If you apply the same logic the only reason we will keep Dowie as manager is cos no-one else wants him. He too was offered one thing verbally and a different thing in reality which is why it is taking so long for him to sign!

GreatGonzo
23-09-2004, 01:44 PM
El Ag

Be fair to the guy he was played out of position most of the times i saw him there by a poor manager in charge of a Barcalona side with talented players all playing badly.

Apart from Puyol and maybe Xavi who played did themselves any credit in that Barcalona team?

cpfc_connection
23-09-2004, 01:46 PM
I think it is a real possibility that palace could get petit. He wants to stay in London and this would be a great addition IMO

L'head Eagle
23-09-2004, 02:00 PM
I can't believe people are even questioning if Petit is good enough for us. He would improve us, we need a midfielder of his stature. There is no guarantee he would keep us up but the experience he would pass on to some of the youngsters would benefit us for years to come. The team has lacked a leader, a focal point for players to look to. Petit could be that man.

Unfortunatley I think there will be better options for him than us, and we will miss out AGAIN !!

JJO
23-09-2004, 02:02 PM

What year is this? Who's the president!??! AAAAARRRGHHHH!! :D

Petit is most likely by far the best we can do at this point. If he can come on right away and help us until january it'll surely add a few points to our tally. I'm sure he can cut it as a makeshift playmaker until Jan, then if Dowie can find an attacking midfielder to do that job then Petit can shift into his normal two way role replacing Riihilahti.

He's got good distribution, a hard tackle, never gives up and has good vision. Eve though he's old he's still a quality 2-way midfielder who also happens to be a world champion, european champion and premiership winner. That kind of experience doesn't come along too often and where could we use it more than at our weakest area, center midfield?

sjmac
23-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Erm distinct lact of fact in that post unless you have information not readily available to the rest of us.

Gera was met at the airport on his way to talking to us by an agent who wanted to help him sign for West Brom, from being in the driving set we went to nowhere.

Kiraly was made an offer verbally which then wasn't followed through on in paper and so he was reluctant to sign.

If you apply the same logic the only reason we will keep Dowie as manager is cos no-one else wants him. He too was offered one thing verbally and a different thing in reality which is why it is taking so long for him to sign!

Completely different senario. Dowie is here already and is making progress. Him not signing contract has more to do with the compensation fee.

I was only referring to the way that agents work. Gera was already in talks with us and had been for some time before we knew anything about WBA's interest. This was obviously used to get a better deal out of West Brom.

I am aware that we d1cked Kiraly around, but he too would not have signed had another club come in for him.

I was merely pointing out that if Petits agent were to agree a deal with us, it only means it will be used to invite other clubs to offer better.

Duffle Coat
23-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Palace are being used to sound out players worth in the market. Marcus Albeck was one such. Would have been a good signing, now with Wolfsburg is it ? Petit might be ok but he is a hairstyle more than a substantial midfielder.

Mickey Gilley
23-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Would be a fantastic signing. The year he won the double with Arsenal he was the best midfielder in the Premiership and his achievements with France would make him the highest profile player the club has ever signed.

He may not be the player he once was, but he was still good enough to play for Chelsea last season and would have made plenty of appearances if it wasn't for the injury that he's now recovered from.

There's no question of whether he's good enough to get into the Palace team, in fact it would be such a good signing that i just know its not going to happen.

Eagle123
23-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by JJO
What year is this? Who's the president!??! AAAAARRRGHHHH!! :D

Petit is most likely by far the best we can do at this point. If he can come on right away and help us until january it'll surely add a few points to our tally. I'm sure he can cut it as a makeshift playmaker until Jan, then if Dowie can find an attacking midfielder to do that job then Petit can shift into his normal two way role replacing Riihilahti.

He's got good distribution, a hard tackle, never gives up and has good vision. Eve though he's old he's still a quality 2-way midfielder who also happens to be a world champion, european champion and premiership winner. That kind of experience doesn't come along too often and where could we use it more than at our weakest area, center midfield? I agree, I cant believe how picky some people are being even considering not considering him (if you know what I mean:p ). We have noone who can play creative midfielder as theyre natural position thats good enough for the prem (and if someone says Freedman again I'll scream!). Yes hes been a spoiled brat in the past, Yes hes knocking on a bit but do people really think we have a chance of signing a 27 year old world class creative midfielder. This is the best we can hope for.

Freddy Kurz
23-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Duffle Coat
Palace are being used to sound out players worth in the market. Marcus Albeck was one such. Would have been a good signing, now with Wolfsburg is it ? Petit might be ok but he is a hairstyle more than a substantial midfielder.

And Speroni's hairstyle? What does bloody
hairstyle do with a man's footballing ability?
Our aim THIS SEASON is to STAY in the
Premier League NOT to win it, and Petit is
one player who could help us achieve that
aim. He would also give the team and the
fans self-belief, put 3,000 on our home
gates and help pay for his wages out of
the extra dosh. Go for it Mr. Jordan it
could make very good sense.

Shoreditch CPFC
23-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Eagle123
I agree, I cant believe how picky some people are being even considering not considering him (if you know what I mean:p ).

Don't worry, they are the same people who said we shouldn't sign:

Bowyer
Butt
Hargreaves
Hasselbank
Ferdinand
Sheringham
Djorkaeff
Yorke
Jansen
Ronny Jonsen
etc.

Now I'm not saying for a minute we could have signed any of these players, but when they were discussed many on here thought they wouldn't be good enough for us, which is even more laughable now than it was then.

Chief Brody
23-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Sick Bucket
I would guess that coming to us would be a depressing prospect for Petit, what a great way to finish your career, relegation from the Prem with Palace on half the money you used to be on.

Yeah, life would be tough earning £20k a week!

GUCCI Eagle
23-09-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm not really bothered.

Petit isn't going to save our season. I'd be inclined to save the money and attempt to do a West Brom.

It's more important for us to retain our assets - I'd much rather the money we could save not getting Petit was used to keep hold of Johnson and Routledge for one more season.

Jasper
23-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Wait, would Petit force Derry out of the side?

Beanie
23-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Sick Bucket
Half waht he used to be on perhaps - but a lot more than he's on now!

Offer him a huge "keep us up bonus" to his weekly wage (something like 500k). If he did turn the season round we could afford it, if he doesn't we don't need to pay out.

Jim Cannon
23-09-2004, 03:43 PM
I haven't read all the posts on this - are we REALLY in talks with him or is this just resurrecting earlier speculation from the summer?

I cannot see Petit signing now because:

1. He hardly needs the money (which won't be much by his standards anyway)

2. Why finish your career in a desperate battle against relegation

3. Can't see him fancying the Harbin training regime

I hope I am wrong though.

Beanie
23-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Jim Cannon
I haven't read all the posts on this - are we REALLY in talks with him or is this just resurrecting earlier speculation from the summer?

On the other hand -

1 - are you serious? a player who doesn't want more money!

2 - or if he is actually self-confident - why not finish his career leading a "miraculous turn round" and avoiding a relegation

3 - can't agrue with that!!

GreatGonzo
23-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Completely different senario. Dowie is here already and is making progress. Him not signing contract has more to do with the compensation fee.

I was only referring to the way that agents work. Gera was already in talks with us and had been for some time before we knew anything about WBA's interest. This was obviously used to get a better deal out of West Brom.

I am aware that we d1cked Kiraly around, but he too would not have signed had another club come in for him.

I was merely pointing out that if Petits agent were to agree a deal with us, it only means it will be used to invite other clubs to offer better.

My point was the only reason people don't sign contrcats with us is because we don't follow through on promises made!

Duffle Coat
23-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Smells like a Brolin deal. Forget it.

sjmac
23-09-2004, 04:28 PM
My point was the only reason people don't sign contrcats with us is because we don't follow through on promises made!

Sorry to harp on, but thats not the ONLY reason people dont sign contracts with us. There are plenty of other reasons. In most peoples eyes we are odds on to finish bottom this year. On that basis alone a player would rather sign for any other club in the prem.

I mentioned this before, but as an agent, had you negotiated a contract with Palace, you wouldn't leave it at that, you would do what your paid to do and look for a club who will offer more money and has a better chance of staying in the prem.

All credit to Dowie for the players he has managed to bring to the club.

I stand by my point that if we did agree a contract with Petit and he joined, it would be fairly safe to say that no other premiership club wanted him.

Eagle123
23-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Duffle Coat
Smells like a Brolin deal. Forget it. Rubbish! Brolin was finnished when signed for us. Are you suggesting Petit is?

selhurst star
23-09-2004, 04:50 PM
More crap. Petit, LOL

BUNGLE
23-09-2004, 04:54 PM
We have lost the midfield battle every game so far this season. If Petit comes in and is half the player he was at arsenal he would be better than we have at the moment.

Eagle123
23-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
We have lost the midfield battle every game so far this season. If Petit comes in and is half the player he was at arsenal he would be better than we have at the moment. At last some sense!!!

Sandowneagle
23-09-2004, 05:12 PM
We have lost the midfield battle every game so far this season. If Petit comes in and is half the player he was at arsenal he would be better than we have at the moment.

Spot on

Stockport_Eagle
23-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Absolutely. If we are bottom at Christmas, we are down (historically anyway), so any January transfer may be too late. He seems to be the best we would be allowed to sign.

Mr Palace Porky
23-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Would love this rumour to be true.
Every one jack of us knows that it's the midfield that is lacking.
Think it would raise the morale of the fans and the team alike.
Would really give us that 'oomph' feeling once again.
Could turn out to be as good as the signing of Lombardo, imho.

Sick Bucket
23-09-2004, 07:16 PM
I would like to see it happen but just can΄t see Petit wanting to come here, at all, sorry.

Shipp Ahoy!
23-09-2004, 07:28 PM
As most have said I would absolutely LOVE this to happen.

Just with our luck especially in the transfer department I just hate to say I wouldn't put any money on it!

The Vicar
23-09-2004, 09:21 PM
[B]

I stand by my point that if we did agree a contract with Petit and he joined, it would be fairly safe to say that no other premiership club wanted him.

Questions:

1. Are you an agent?
2. If Petit wanted to stay in London above all, does that mean he still would rather sign for West Brom, for example?
3. What if Palace offered more quid than the other clubs?
4. If he wants to stay in London, who would sign him...Chelsea? Spurs? Arsenal? Fulham might be a problem, or Charlton. If they were interested.
5. Is it possible that Petit might like playing for someone like Dowie? Or does he view managers as all the same?

Very biased perspective.

The Vicar
23-09-2004, 09:23 PM
selhurst star
Online 23-09-2004 03:50 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

The Vicar
23-09-2004, 09:23 PM
GreatGonzo
Offline 23-09-2004 02:53 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

Micky Spilane
23-09-2004, 09:50 PM
It would have been a great move to have gone for him in the summer, but I'm not so sure that getting Petit now would be the answer, is he still in training? Is he stil match fit? Would it take until about November/December before we see if he's still got it? I admit the guy was class and his chances through injury and squad rotation limited his opportunities at Chelsea, but, whilst trying to see if he could do a job for us someone like Kaviedes may be pushed back from the frontline that may have been a better option, for me this would be a big gamble.

Tin Hat
23-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Petit would poo in his sports support at the prospect of the training regime.

LeeH
23-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Think he would be a good signing

For those who dont:

Who have we got now that can match Petit for skill or experience?

And yes, it may be a risk but who is to say that he wont play some of his best football in the last years of his career - if he does, wouldnt you kick yourself if you said you didnt want him and he did that elsewhere?

He could be SO much more than just a midfielder - an experienced head on the pitch and a voice of experience off the pitch for the young and inexperienced in the squad

Oh and I would hope that if he is clubless, that an agent wouldnt be a problem - am sure Petit wuld make it clear that he would be happy if he was playing in the Prem - the one stumbling block there is SJ. But I cant imagine that ID would show an interest now, if he hadnt fronted SJ about it beforehand?

Mr Palace Porky
23-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Tin Hat

Jesus wept.

Did you get get your name from people slapping you on the head?

Ian Hart
23-09-2004, 10:20 PM

What basis have so many people for suggesting he doesn't like to train hard?

I'm sure Harbin does push players more than most, but I think he's built his reputation as much on ingenious and original methods that he uses. It's a bit fanciful to believe Palace now train considerably harder than any other team in the country, which is the impression you'd gain from reading some posts.

Petit played several years for Arsenal. Somehow I doubt that Wenger allows his coaches to let the players stroll around in training, and doubtless demands they achieve the optimum level of fitness. I'm pretty sure that Ranieri would have demanded a tough training regime too. I can't think that Petit would let our training be a factor in his considerations at all.

Sussex Eagle
23-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Ian Hart
What basis have so many people for suggesting he doesn't like to train hard?

I'm sure Harbin does push players more than most, but I think he's built his reputation as much on ingenious and original methods that he uses. It's a bit fanciful to believe Palace now train considerably harder than any other team in the country, which is the impression you'd gain from reading some posts.

Petit played several years for Arsenal. Somehow I doubt that Wenger allows his coaches to let the players stroll around in training, and doubtless demands they achieve the optimum level of fitness. I'm pretty sure that Ranieri would have demanded a tough training regime too. I can't think that Petit would let our training be a factor in his considerations at all.

Good post.

Wenger is in fact well known for his rigourous training regime - and you don't get to be a World Cup & Premiership winner without putting some effort in. I think some people are overestimating the Harbin business - it is of course considerably tougher than the shitty training we had under Kember & Francis, and is tougher than most Premiership club's, but it is not a major motiviating factor in players joining or not, imo. It'd be interesting to see how many of the people who don't want Petit have moaned about our 'lack of proven quality' :rolleyes:

kettle
23-09-2004, 11:12 PM
one thing I think would work in Palace's favour is the fact Petit would be more likely to get in the team, whereas at Fulham/Charlton he wouldn't be as likely to get regular 1st team action.

imashed
23-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
I would guess he'll want £20,000 to £25,000 a week.

And a) I don't think Jordan will pay it and b) I'm not sure he's worth it anymore.
sj has'nt got a choice an less he don't mind if we go down i do,25k a week for 1year deal a'int bad .and if we go down he won't have too pay him off too get rid of him:afro:

disco mixx kidd
23-09-2004, 11:52 PM
sorry but he woz great with viera but shit at barca and chelsea-hes lost the plot and has the worst hair style i've ever seen-a ••••••• poser!!!!!!!!

RDSdaEAGLE
24-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by disco mixx kidd
sorry but he woz great with viera but shit at barca and chelsea-hes lost the plot and has the worst hair style i've ever seen-a ••••••• poser!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't say shit.

At Barca he hardly got a look in, as he was a panic buy by the then president.

At Chelsea, he suffered from injuries and never got a good run in the team.

I'd cream myself if we signed him, a great player and exactly the kind of class that we need.

The man is a World Cup and European Championships winner for christs sake!

Shipp Ahoy!
24-09-2004, 01:28 AM
But seriously? Petit or Hughes?

Not saying I don't rate Hughes but would you really pick him over Petit?

Shipp Ahoy!
24-09-2004, 01:29 AM
Still not going to get a "big" name signing then? ;)

Jesus-Gods son
24-09-2004, 07:13 AM
we should go in for petit and then try and get Parker on loan, yeah there wages would be high but if we do go down we say goodbye to them, i recon this would make a huge difference to our team.

Ollie Ox
24-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Its a no brainer we have to try and sign Petit, he is clearly better than what we have and what we have isn't good enough.

Fatman
24-09-2004, 07:22 AM
as someone as already said...a player in the centre on midfield who can put his foot on the ball, look up and pass it...we've been crying out for that for the last 3 or 4 seasons, let alone this year.

CPFC-DIEHARD
24-09-2004, 07:25 AM
There is no doubt that our midfield needs strengthing and Petit is a quality player. We should play him and Danze in centre midfield, if we did that we would start winning games and ID knows it.

Freddy Kurz
24-09-2004, 07:48 AM
i was actually referring to someones elses comment when i said that , but peitit - yeh he was world class , no idea if he still is , but he is only one player.

Fair enough. But with the provisos I've laid down
earlier: ie Petit's fitness, appetitite for the game
and whether Palace can afford him - he is the
type of gifted, experienced, midfielder capable
of helping to develop our team performance
and individual colleagues, as well as raise
morale among players and fans alike.

GanbareWashi
24-09-2004, 08:04 AM
No way would we sign him without a trial. Then if he impress ID and JH he has got to be worth up to 20k a week imho. Be interesting to see how a "star player" reacts to the Palace training regime!

Bryan
24-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Petite is far better than anything we have. Not so long ago he would have be challenging for a place in a world 11.

34 is not so old either (in terms of fitness) and has advantages in terms of his wealth of experience. We have little choice but to desperately try and get him in. I still doubt he would come to our "unfashionable" club though. How fashion relates to football I can't say.

pedro
24-09-2004, 08:27 AM
and has the worst hair style i've ever seen-a ••••••• poser!!!!!!!!
You not seen our goalie then! :D

SKATE
24-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Petit on a pay per play deal would be excellent......however I'm not holding my breath!

Young Trolley
24-09-2004, 08:46 AM
I can't believe anyone, in our current predicament, can react negatively to this news. He would be an absolutely fantastic signing, as has been pointed out this guy is a double winner, a world cup winner and a euro championship winner for Christ's sake! Why on earth would you not want him pulling the strings in our, quite frankly, woeful midfield. He is ten times any of the other players we have in midfield. I think some of you really need to get a handle on reality. 34 or not this would rank alongside attracting Lombardo IMHO

Gerry from Sussex
24-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Jim Cannon

Sorry, but I'm not sure I follow the logic of any of this.

1. If this were true then all top internationals would retire by the age of about 26, by which they are rich enough to live comfortably for at least two lifetimes.

2. If he came here this season and we went down he would still have a couple of playing years left if wanted to carry on so this doesn't have to be his last stop.

3. I've never understood this idea that top big name players wouldn't fancy a rigorous training regime. I'd expect the opposite to be true - winners in any sport mostly get to be that good by always wanting to push that bit harder to get an edge over their opponents. For counter evidence to your view look, for example, at Roy Keane or even our own Atilio Lombardo who, when he arrived at Palace, said he was surprised that English training wasn't harder than it was.

Gerry from Sussex
24-09-2004, 08:54 AM

Thyat prize surely goes to David Seaman, with Shaun Derry getting the runner up spot.

Gooders
24-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Gerry from Sussex
Thyat prize surely goes to David Seaman, with Shaun Derry getting the runner up spot.

It does indeed. Petit's hairstyle suited him - Seaman just looked like a prat.

I thought Petit had had his hair chopped anyway.

palaceporky
24-09-2004, 09:01 AM
I just heard on talksport that todays Evening Standard will be running a story on a 'very interesting transfer rumour'
Anyone in the know?

Phil O'Sophical
24-09-2004, 09:12 AM
From Sky

Palace contact Petit
by Patrick Haond - Last Updated 24 Sep 2004

Emmanuel Petit travelled to London on Wednesday, where it is believed he discussed a move to Crystal Palace.

The Frenchman is still a free agent and available to sign for a club outside of the transfer window.

After a move to Bolton Wanderers fell through, the 34-year-old is still keen to ply his trade in England after stints with Arsenal and Chelsea.

A switch to the capital would suit Petit and the defensive midfielder has been contacted by Iain Dowie's Eagles.

Dowie is aware of the need to bolster his squad as the club are still seeking their first Premiership win this term and were taken to extra time by Hartlepool United in the Carling Cup in midweek.

Petit has been training hard to maintain his fitness and could prove to be an excellent short-term option for Palace if they can meet his personal demands.

The ex-Monaco man is not keen to take up a lucrative offer from Qatar, as he would prefer to play in London.

Phil O'Sophical
24-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by palaceporky
I just heard on talksport that todays Evening Standard will be running a story on a 'very interesting transfer rumour'
Anyone in the know?

The Standard are running one on Arsenal being interested in Sean Wright-Phillips. Doesn't appear to be anything on Petit although Sky (above) seem more positive

eagles #1
24-09-2004, 09:25 AM
i hope we get him but i doubt very much we will

Gerry from Sussex
24-09-2004, 09:34 AM
My waters are telling me this one is going to come off. He wants to play and he wants to play in London. There don't appear to be any other London clubs in for him so, provided we can meet him half way on wages, I can't see why it couldn't happen. After all, he wouldn't have bothered to meet up with Dowie on Wednesday if he thought the idea of playing for Palace was out of the question.

Sussex Eagle
24-09-2004, 09:42 AM
I agree. Though if we do get him, he'll probably actually sign the contract in March :(

GUCCI Eagle
24-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Standard piece doesn't mention Petit - just Danze.

GUCCI Eagle
24-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Also says Ventola is injured.

sjmac
24-09-2004, 09:59 AM
1. Are you an agent?
2. If Petit wanted to stay in London above all, does that mean he still would rather sign for West Brom, for example?
3. What if Palace offered more quid than the other clubs?
4. If he wants to stay in London, who would sign him...Chelsea? Spurs? Arsenal? Fulham might be a problem, or Charlton. If they were interested.
5. Is it possible that Petit might like playing for someone like Dowie? Or does he view managers as all the same?

1. No
2. Easy, if he wanted to stay in London and could then of course he wouldn't go to West Brom.
3. Probably, money talks, but we don't have much.
4. If any of the mentioned teams wanted to sign him he would chose them over Palace.
5. It is possible that Petit might like playing for someone like Dowie and i doubt that he rates all managers the same.

I was replying to an earlier post claiming that the ONLY reason people didnt sign our contracts was because we agreed something verbally and then didnt back it up. This doesn't help, but I still feel the main problem we have is that we are odds on to go down. We have lost out to other clubs already this season and for whatever reasons coming to Palace doesn't seem like a great prospect. Dowie is a God, and he has been the crucial factor in signing Fitz and Hudson.

All i am saying is that if another prem club were to want Petit, they have so much more to offer than we do - other than location. Its not a criticism just IMO the reason we have struggled to attract players.

Report from sky looks promising, fingers crossed.

sjmac
24-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Very biased perspective.

Towards who or what?

Bryan
24-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Don't know if this is anything new - doubt it.

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=130924

Brett
24-09-2004, 10:42 AM
His signing would have a great impact on Joonas Kolkka. You'll see a lot more of the Finn doing the sort of damage he did for PSV, BM and Pana.

It's absolutely critical that we get him. AJ would also benefit tremendously.

johnnytemper
24-09-2004, 10:42 AM
The midfield is severely lacking and needs improvement - and Petit playing at 25% of the level he achieved at his peak is still miles ahead of Aki's 99% graft, 1% quality...

Surely money for wages isn't going to be a huge stumbling block assuming Petit is sensible (after all we were attempting to sign Gonzalez permanently for £4M, and I doubt he would have settled for less than £25k a week...)

And okay, its eating up money to be spent in January/next season BUT can our bid for Premiership survival wait that long? Lets face it, worse case scenario: we could be 6 points adrift at the BOTTOM after the weekend...would Petit make a huge difference, who knows, but surely worth the gamble if the club does have serious ambitions at trying to stay up?

LP
24-09-2004, 10:48 AM
A fit, motivated Petit would be just what we need. However is he fit? & is he motivated?

GreatGonzo
24-09-2004, 11:19 AM
SJMAC - my comments were based solely around those who we are TOLD are signing yet the contracts aren't signed.

AJ, Kiraly, Dowie etc - When discussing contracts it seems we say one thing and when in print we say another that is all.

There are of course many other reasons why people do not agree to join us and even get to verbal agreement stage.

Regarding Petit it may just be coincidence but on the FM2005 demo thread it seems EVERYONE signs this guy (of course most sing ravenelli too! ;) )

The guy would be quality, he strikes me as the kinda guy who would organise our midfield, and would instantly command the respect of every player. We have NO organisers in our team, we need one at the back too!

telegraph eagle
24-09-2004, 12:09 PM
does anyone know if we have held talks with petit or if this rumour is true????

GUCCI Eagle
24-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Someone should make a song up to the tune of Denis by Blondie.

stinky
24-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle
Someone should make a song up to the tune of Denis by Blondie.

lets wait to see if this actually happens first shall we? I seem to remember people making up chants about Reo-Coker, Cahill and Cisse... and we all know what happened there.
Would be fantastic if it happened, but remember, all we know is that talks have (supposidely) been held

gatwickeagle
24-09-2004, 12:44 PM
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=227610&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Palace+contact+Petit

thats good enough for me. atleast we're headin gin the right direction

Clapham Grand
24-09-2004, 12:46 PM
yep - SSN claims he came to London on Wednesday to talk to Dowie

GreatGonzo
24-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi Iain
Hi Manu
Nice day!
Yup
Ok See ya
Bye

AJ
24-09-2004, 12:54 PM
My concern here is that he is actually a defensive midfielder, and we need an attacking midfielder?

sjmac
24-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Gonzo - I get you.

Think we both agree - Petit would be a great signing.

Jim Cannon
24-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
yep - SSN claims he came to London on Wednesday to talk to Dowie

Do you have any other info about this CG?

gatwickeagle
24-09-2004, 12:59 PM
we need someone to pull the strings in the middle. akiis great at winning the ball but doesnt have enough ability to split open defences. petit does.

Sick Bucket
24-09-2004, 12:59 PM
I would be amazed but very happy if we signed him.

GreatGonzo
24-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by AJ
My concern here is that he is actually a defensive midfielder, and we need an attacking midfielder?

Kaviedes - as anyone who has seen him play will have seen.

If we get Petit in there who can win the ball as well as Aki can, he can pass better than Aki and then Kaviedes can create.

Beanie
24-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by AJ
At present we have Aki and Hughes or Derry, and both have to largely defend. A quality defensive midfielder such as Petit wouldn't need assistance so we could play Hughes or better Kaviedes in a more forward creative role.

Lion
24-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering, Petit was the player that Dowie was referring after the Borough game (making it quite clear to SJ that we should sign him). Looks like Simon has seen sense.

hernehilleagle
24-09-2004, 03:19 PM
This bloke would be worth investing a bit more money

AJ
24-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
At present we have Aki and Hughes or Derry, and both have to largely defend. A quality defensive midfielder such as Petit wouldn't need assistance so we could play Hughes or better Kaviedes in a more forward creative role.

I think that is well put:p

My concern is not that we don't need him, but, that the need of the team is more to find a strong attack minded midfielder.
Either way, it wouldn't be a bad signing.

GreatGonzo
24-09-2004, 03:30 PM
AJ how can you say we need to find an attack minded midfielder?

These boards are full of praise for Kaviedes who did such a great job on Tuesday and has the potentail to do it at the premiership level.

What that requires though is the Quality alongside him and no offence to AKI but he is not quite good enough even though he has been excellent this season he doesn't give us enough in midfield to support the more attack mindered midfielder.

Barry
24-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Would be great if we got him, but after Cahill, Carrick etc, Im not getting my hopes up.

Its a bit of gamble as he might just be interested in a last pay day at palace, but if the gamble pays off, he could just turn around our season.

Our midfield has no quality at all, Petit could change all that. My only fear is that if we do sign him we'll get stuffed on the contract & end up paying him £30k a week as he sulks on the bench/stays out injured for the year/cant be arsed to play etc

Maybe SJ could work out some kind of 1 year pay-as-you-play contract for him.

Cleon
24-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by AJ

Petit is capable to playing either role, especially considering the quality (or lack thereof) of the other options we have in midfield.

ammiller
24-09-2004, 04:00 PM
I'll be honest and say I have never really noticed what was so special about Petit - although I have never seen him play live. My first instinct is to say no thanks - but looking at the SSN link there are stories about Big Sam trying to sign him this season.
Going by his track record of signings, it is good enough for me.

palace da best!
24-09-2004, 04:53 PM
i think if he comes to palace will be a better side although SJ will not pay his contract

Ben_cpfc4ever
24-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Sign him up on a pay as you play deal......get him fit...then see what he is like for palace....if it doesnt work out and he is not good enough then we are not paying high wages every week for a player that is not giving it there all...but if Sam Allaydace was after him then i would say he is worth a go on.....we need some quality in the centre..

palace & proud
24-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Ive just been told by a BBS member that we have signed Petit on a one year Contract,but i think its boll*ks

AJ
24-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by palace & proud
Ive just been told by a BBS member that we have signed Petit on a one year Contract,but i think its boll*ks

Been talking to yourself again:o

palace & proud
24-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by AJ
Been talking to yourself again:o

How about.......No

AJ
24-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
AJ how can you say we need to find an attack minded midfielder?

These boards are full of praise for Kaviedes who did such a great job on Tuesday and has the potentail to do it at the premiership level.

What that requires though is the Quality alongside him and no offence to AKI but he is not quite good enough even though he has been excellent this season he doesn't give us enough in midfield to support the more attack mindered midfielder.

Yes Palace have attacking midfielders at the club. Kaviedes and Hughes are 2 and I hope both start turning it on. But, IMHO from what I have seen of the team, there are so few goalscoring chances being created from midfield. Now Kaviedes may have turned the corner(Let's hope), but, 40 odd minutes against Hartlepool is not exactly enough to pin our season on him. In fairness, there are about 9 or 10 other positions in the team that also need reviewing, but, IMO the priority is midfield, with a creative player being the most important. Doesn't mean we shouldn't attempt to sign any other potential players who can improve the team.

Who Cares?
24-09-2004, 06:45 PM
This could go on this thread or the Dowie contract one but I wonder if there is some connection with Dowie stalling and the signing of Petit (or Djorkaeff etc).

It seems that Petit has been linked, albeit loosely, for sometime, certainly before the tfr window closed. Then Dowie's pointed comment after Middlesbrough - maybe ID is waiting to see how far SJ is prepared to go in an effort to give us a fighting chance of staying in the Premiership.

I have no idea whether Petit has still got something to offer but if Dowie thinks he can add something and a reasonable deal (and I know that is a subjective phrase) can be reached which is likely to be around £20k a week + bonuses then maybe he is calling SJ's bluff.

I should add that this is in no way meant to cast doubts on or be anti SJ, I get as pissed off with James etc, but really just athought as Dave might say.

Jimbo ?
24-09-2004, 07:06 PM
yawn yawn yawn

stinky
24-09-2004, 07:21 PM
what is the comment that Dowie made after the boro game then? I must've missed it

Tin Hat
24-09-2004, 07:40 PM
I think he said "If we sign Petit I'll show my arse in Woolworths window."

Gooders
24-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by stinky
what is the comment that Dowie made after the boro game then? I must've missed it

When they asked him to comment on Jimmy Floyd's winner from the free-kick, he said "that's what quality free transfer signings can do for you".

eagles #1
24-09-2004, 08:23 PM
I think he said "If we sign Petit I'll show my arse in Woolworths window." cant be any worse than his face :(

sorry ID love ya really

NZsparky
25-09-2004, 01:50 AM
Well I'm off to Wooolworths to show my arse. If thats what it takes to get this kind of quality player at our club then I'll do it(obviously I'll be basting myself in a mixture of mint sauce, lignocaine and some kind of hallucinogenic).
I am really struggling at the moment with some of the negative bolix I am reading on the BBS.
Sort it out you W@nkers or I'll have to end up taking sense for a change.

NZsparky
25-09-2004, 02:04 AM
?

NZsparky
25-09-2004, 02:04 AM

NZsparky
25-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Right I'm back and I have to say to three three people who swiped their credit cards, f%#k that hurts:eek: and no I don't do fly buys.:moo:
Has he signed yet????????????

hughff
25-09-2004, 09:59 AM
I do worry about the money that Petit would be paid but there's no doubt that we need the type of player that he is (or used to be.)

sjmac
25-09-2004, 10:26 AM
maybe ID is waiting to see how far SJ is prepared to go in an effort to give us a fighting chance of staying in the Premiership.

Good point. I don't think Dowie is asking too much. Bolton have proved how free transfers can make all the difference. No matter how much he wants in wages, signing Petit would be a bargain buy at £0. Whether we can afford it is a different matter. As already mentioned the worry is that he gets injured and then we are dishing out loadsa cash in wages for nothing. If it is at all possible we should do everything we can to sign him, especially if it has some bearing on Dowies future.

palace da best!
25-09-2004, 10:46 AM
maybe petit might know where SJ watch is ten at least petit gets 10,000

stinky
25-09-2004, 10:51 AM
maybe ID is waiting to see how far SJ is prepared to go in an effort to give us a fighting chance of staying in the Premiership.

Good point. I don't think Dowie is asking too much. Bolton have proved how free transfers can make all the difference. No matter how much he wants in wages, signing Petit would be a bargain buy at £0. Whether we can afford it is a different matter. As already mentioned the worry is that he gets injured and then we are dishing out loadsa cash in wages for nothing. If it is at all possible we should do everything we can to sign him, especially if it has some bearing on Dowies future.

exacty. at the end of the day he would be costing £0 to buy!!! We were prepared to buy substantial amounts of money for, say, Kily Gonzalez and I doubt Petits wage demands would total anywhere near that amount over a year, so I don't think his wage demands should stand in the way of us signing him.

PoolKing
25-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by stinky
exacty. at the end of the day he would be costing £0 to buy!!! We were prepared to buy substantial amounts of money for, say, Kily Gonzalez and I doubt Petits wage demands would total anywhere near that amount over a year, so I don't think his wage demands should stand in the way of us signing him.

Exactly, even if he was offered a 2 year contract at £50000, that would work out at £2.6million, £1.4million less than Gonzalez' cost. The only problem is that money could be recovered on Gonzalez if we get relegated.

Jimbo ?
25-09-2004, 11:25 AM
ok so financially you guys believe it to be sensible, but from the point of view of palace and the future, i would stay well away. why spend 2M on wages on a 34 year old who will leave at the end of the season. personally i would be more inclined to sign up players more like torghelle aki kollka....who could have a future with palace, who are committed. instead of wasting it on old has-beans

Ollie Ox
25-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
ok so financially you guys believe it to be sensible, but from the point of view of palace and the future, i would stay well away. why spend 2M on wages on a 34 year old who will leave at the end of the season. personally i would be more inclined to sign up players more like torghelle aki kollka....who could have a future with palace, who are committed. instead of wasting it on old has-beans

None of those three players has any premiership experience at all. Petit may be old but it remains to be seen as to whether he is past it. If he improves the team its not wasted money, if he keps us up its a fantastic investment

Braders
25-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Still think with a player like Petit we would have won today.

Ben H
25-09-2004, 08:58 PM
No thanks - the last thing we need is ANOTHER holding midfielder. Especially a 34 year one on megabucks.

davematt
25-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
No thanks - the last thing we need is ANOTHER holding midfielder. Especially a 34 year one on megabucks.

I think Aki is great, but Petit is in a different class. He would give us some experience, and most importantly, some class. He is a good passer of the ball and alongside Hughes would give us a really solid looking midfield two.

Sussex Eagle
26-09-2004, 09:13 AM
If we stick with the 3-man midfield, Petit could become even more useful as he wont be part of a non-existant entity - hope we get him!

stinky
26-09-2004, 10:39 AM
what do you think the chance are that we do get him?

glaziers fan
26-09-2004, 12:50 PM
We don't need him. Money would be better spent on a left-back for now, and a left-winger. Last time i looked, Hughesie was back to his best, Aki was in the form of his life and Watson was performing in the Premiership after being given a run in the team. Soares is ready to come through too. I believe that Petit would just get in the way of the youngster's development. Can't see how he would add much more to our team.

If we were to sign him, how could you drop Hughesie or Aki?

Sussex Eagle
26-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Wouldn't. I'd probably put the apparently undroppable Watson on the bench. :) But I'll admit yesterday's performance makes the midfield look less of a desert. Perhaps Aki & Manu at Selhurst in a 4 then use the 5 away? Anyway, if we can play like yesterday in the middle all season with or without a new signing I'll be pretty pleased.

Ben H
26-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by davematt
I think Aki is great, but Petit is in a different class. He would give us some experience, and most importantly, some class. He is a good passer of the ball and alongside Hughes would give us a really solid looking midfield two.

Agreed but it's not really where our priorities lie is it.

Young Trolley
26-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
Agreed but it's not really where our priorities lie is it. WTF? Are you on drugs man? Where would you say they lie then other than midfield, defence or up front? Yeh I agree let's sign our 10th defender or forward of the year rather than our 2nd midfielder? :rolleyes: Nurse, nurse!!!................

PalacePorky 4
26-09-2004, 07:49 PM
This week is a 'big one' in new transfers, for us.

Braders
26-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by PalacePorky 4
This week is a 'big one' in new transfers, for us.

Care to expand?

Super Eagles
26-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Care to expand?

expand please

PalacePorky 4
26-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Care to expand?

No.
Just stating that this has the potential to be 'a big week' (transfer wise)

Braders
26-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Super Eagles
expand please

Just wanted to know if PalacePorky 4 had any inside info.:eek:

Sussex Eagle
26-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Porky 4's been saying a few things last day or two. Got Dowie's contract right, to be fair. Let's wait and see!

Sussex Eagle
26-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Or are you just mucking about?

PalacePorky 4
26-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Or are you just mucking about?

No, I'm not.

darren_j
26-09-2004, 10:41 PM
What did you get right about Dowie's contract? Sorry I missed that thread.

Originally posted by PalacePorky 4
No, I'm not.

PeterMulford
27-09-2004, 01:02 PM
he's french,
he's quick,
his names a porno flick,
emmanuel, emmanuel

Sussex Eagle
27-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by darren_j
What did you get right about Dowie's contract? Sorry I missed that thread.

He said on some other thread (Dowie or Routledge's contract maybe?) that Petit and Dowie would sign within the week, and soon after the club announced/mentioned in passing that ID had signed up.

GreatGonzo
27-09-2004, 01:27 PM
midfield of

Hughes - Kaviedes/Watson - Aki - Petit - Kolkka

That would look good!

(Routledge is looking too wasteful at teh moment and needs a reality check!)

eagles #1
27-09-2004, 01:31 PM
do people think its actually goin to happen?

grovesy77
27-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Do people think that none of our midfielders will get injured.

We could still have Aki & Hughes as first choice and use Petit as cover and to rest players.

Lion
27-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
do people think its actually goin to happen?

Yes - Wages have been agreed (don't have the details of these i'm afraid) and a medical will be done this week - Palace are hoping to have him all signed and avalible for the Fulham game in which he will start as a sub.

David of Kent
27-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Wow that was thorough Lion. What will his squad number be ;)

Sussex Eagle
27-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Lion
Yes - Wages have been agreed (don't have the details of these i'm afraid) and a medical will be done this week - Palace are hoping to have him all signed and avalible for the Fulham game in which he will start as a sub.

Christ, that's a bit specific by the usual standards on here! Thanks Lion!

smileysmith
27-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Indeed ... thanks Lion. And good news :)

El Aguila
27-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Fingers crossed!

Batsta
27-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Cheers Lion - Is he getting Tommy Blacks alice band?

Shoreditch CPFC
27-09-2004, 02:01 PM

great news :)

zonin2000
27-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Lion,

That's abso-•••••••-bloody-lutely brilliant news.

:D

Now we've arrived in the Premiership.

Lion
27-09-2004, 02:03 PM
If I hear anymore, i'll post an update - let's hope it all goes as detailed and doesn't drag on like the other transfers recently.

Batsta
27-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Are you his agent Lion? :)

Igor Iconic
If I hear anymore, i'll post an update - let's hope it all goes as detailed and doesn't drag on like the other transfers recently.

Crumbs.

Thanks Lion.

glaziers fan
Originally posted by Young Trolley
WTF? Are you on drugs man? Where would you say they lie then other than midfield, defence or up front? Yeh I agree let's sign our 10th defender or forward of the year rather than our 2nd midfielder? :rolleyes: Nurse, nurse!!!................

Nurse, nurse, we have 5 natural central midfielders, Aki, Watson, Soares, Hughes, Derry plus Kaviedes who could play attacking midfield. We also have Butterfield + Leigertwood who could cover if necessary. 3 of the afformentioned starred in our best performance so far this season and you think we need another defensive midfielder?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Who has been consistently the worst 1st teamer in our side? Danny Granville. There's no cover cos Borrowdale won't hack the pace of the Premiership. So that means we are VERY weak in left-side of defence. Kolkka is not only the only left-winger in the squad, he is the only left-winger AT THE CLUB!!! That includes the reserves + youth team squad!! And you think we need another central midfielder?! Please tell me you're joking!:sob: :eek: :)

wrinklereeves
27-09-2004, 02:07 PM
OH MY ******* GOD!:eek:

TheCharmer
27-09-2004, 02:08 PM
No proof. Just a lot of talking, believe it when i see it

Reps AJ
Christ, that's a bit specific by the usual standards on here! Thanks Lion!

Yeah, can we go back to the old vague style please ;)

Lion
Originally posted by Batsta
Are you his agent Lion? :)

I wish!

Sussex Eagle
27-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Nurse, nurse, we have 5 natural central midfielders, Aki, Watson, Soares, Hughes, Derry plus Kaviedes who could play attacking midfield. We also have Butterfield + Leigertwood who could cover if necessary. 3 of the afformentioned starred in our best performance so far this season and you think we need another defensive midfielder?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Who has been consistently the worst 1st teamer in our side? Danny Granville. There's no cover cos Borrowdale won't hack the pace of the Premiership. So that means we are VERY weak in left-side of defence. Kolkka is not only the only left-winger in the squad, he is the only left-winger AT THE CLUB!!! That includes the reserves + youth team squad!! And you think we need another central midfielder?! Please tell me you're joking!:sob: :eek: :)

We do have youth team left wingers, we just wouldn't be likely to consider playing them. If you don't think Petit being here to add some real Lombardo-style class, and to set an example to players like Soares, Routledge, Watson, is a positive, Tu es loco. Could we do with a new Left Back? Probably - why don't you name one who's available to us right now?

Sussex Eagle
27-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by TheCharmer
No proof. Just a lot of talking, believe it when i see it

Lion has a decent record recently, I'm inclined to believe him.

Batsta
27-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I wish!

Not with our chairman :p

Lion
27-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Lion has a decent record recently, I'm inclined to believe him.

To be fair, I aint had the best record recently - I said AJ has signed his contract and was 100% sure of it, but there is still speculation surrounding it!

I know this info is true, it's more a matter of if the club can pull it off or not now though.

palaceporky
27-09-2004, 02:17 PM
This deal, is so,so close.

honeysuckle
27-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Sussex Eagle is right. Information can be found by 'phoning the following number: 0905 121 5244.

I'd have thought Manu will play in front of the defence with Aki and Hughsie.

Petit has impeccable credentials. I just hope that the injuries he has suffered haven't blunted his effectiveness.

What's this about Shipps going off to Sheffield United?

Batsta
27-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Can he play left side of midfield? Has he played there for Arsenal or France?

adrenalin john
27-09-2004, 02:22 PM
I trust Lion to be entirely honest in his postings. He of course is liable to make mistakes though.

I think Petit is a great signing but don't imagine he will be available to play very often having contracted the incurable Andertondarrennicus virus to give it's full name (or sicknote syndrome as it is more commonly known). This virus leaves a player in permenant treatment except for the last 4 or 5 games of everyother season and that following summer. Unfortunately for us that season has to end in an even number.

JJO
27-09-2004, 02:24 PM
This deal would really help Palace. Palace don't have what Petit can offer us. You can't really compare inexperienced and unproven youngesters like Soares and Watson or "career-first divisioners" like Hughes and Riihilahti to one of the most accomplished footballers of our time.

Don't forget what a guy like Petit can offer the young Watson and Soares either. I'm sure he still has bundles to offer and his class will rub off on the rest of the squad.

honeysuckle
27-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Manu Petit played on the left of midfield in the 1998 World Cup Final and scored late in the game after being put through by Patrick Viera. In my mind's eye I'm sure it was with his left foot.

Whether he still has the pace to play there now is unlikely. Mind you Kolka is a supposedly left sided player who doesn't actually use his left foot a great deal.

glaziers fan
27-09-2004, 02:35 PM
We do have youth team left wingers, we just wouldn't be likely to consider playing them. If you don't think Petit being here to add some real Lombardo-style class, and to set an example to players like Soares, Routledge, Watson, is a positive, Tu es loco. Could we do with a new Left Back? Probably - why don't you name one who's available to us right now?

Name the youth team left-wingers. And I don't mean 14 year olds, I mean 17 year olds.

There are no left-backs available at the moment, but I'm sure if we offered £3m for Arca in January transfer window we would get him. What about Konchesky? Is he still unsettled at Clowntown? The fact is money spent on Petit will mean less available for other players.

I'm not against signing Petit. Will just be interesting to see who makes way for him. I'm hoping it's Granville and Petit plays left-back.