PDA

View Full Version : Teddy Sherringham

Dex
04-10-2004, 12:10 PM
I noticed that Teddy Sherringham scored another goal at the weekend:lux: Does anyone agree that he could have been a good out of contract player for us?

He's been dumped as not good enough by Man Utd, went to Spurs, dumped again, went to Portsmouth, dumped yet again!, gone to the claret & blue east Londoners - and keeps scoring!!!.

Now don't get me wrong, I know last season he romped at the beginning of the season, then flagged, but I think he could have been a good partner for AJ with the following qualities to get us off to a winning start:

English - no language barrier
Prem experience - undoubted!
Fitness - questionable!

What does anyone else think?

RDSdaEAGLE
04-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Why do you think he keeps being dumped?

Malakite
04-10-2004, 12:15 PM
I dont know? I think he is pure class Rob don't you then mate?

RDSdaEAGLE
04-10-2004, 12:19 PM
I think he's trouble.

It seems to big a pattern to ignore, the fact that he's been released by so many clubs.

Dex
04-10-2004, 12:20 PM
I appreciate the fact that he is getting on a bit, and probably not as fit as he was, but doesn't that say something that at his age, he's still getting what he's paid to do - score goals!!

Jay_Palace
04-10-2004, 12:30 PM
The story goes that we were in for him but he turned us down, because he wanted to play for his boyhood club, West Ham.

Jim Cannon
04-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
I think he's trouble.

It seems to big a pattern to ignore, the fact that he's been released by so many clubs.

But has he REALLY been dumped? He left Millwall for Forest and then Venables bought him for Spurs. Then Man U bought him (not many players would say no them) and he had a couple of good years and when they felt he'd had his day they let him go. I certainly don't think they dumped him.

Beanie
04-10-2004, 12:52 PM
I think he's simply on the down side of the hill is all. It was a safe signing for Wham as he was always likely to score in Div 1, would have been risky for us in the Prem. We'll never know if he would have done it unless Wham go up and keep him in the side.

Lords Eagle
04-10-2004, 12:55 PM
He came on as sub for a 1st divsion side, must say something that he can't get in the 1st XI

Benzhiyi
04-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
I think he's trouble.

More down to the fact that he still demands big bucks than anything else.

oz_da II
04-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Dex
I noticed that Teddy Sherringham scored another goal at the weekend:lux:

Why are you applauding a West Sham goal?

Dex
04-10-2004, 01:13 PM
It could have been for anybody!, it's the fact that he's still doing the business at his age.

oz_da II
04-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Dex
It could have been for anybody!

Even for my Wednesday night six-a-side team.

He's too old for the Premiership and would not have lasted the season in my opinion. Similar to last season at Portsmouth. Not bothered we "missed out" on him.

Seat31
04-10-2004, 01:20 PM
wet spam release an old timer (Brian Deane) only to replace him with another one....why? Teddy must still have something about him.

wrinklereeves
04-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Think he's class for his age,could do a job!

oscarthecat
04-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Lords Eagle
He came on as sub for a 1st divsion side, must say something that he can't get in the 1st XI

He was being rested.

DANCOO
04-10-2004, 06:23 PM
I'm waiting for someone to say it...

Latvian Eagle
04-10-2004, 11:09 PM
He turned down us because his familly are Millwall last season I believe, then he goes and signs for West Ham! :rolleyes:

gold76
05-10-2004, 08:44 AM
A good player, but hardly one who could develop at cpfc. Not too disapointed we didnt get him

oscarthecat
05-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
He turned down us because his familly are Millwall last season I believe, then he goes and signs for West Ham! :rolleyes:

His family Millwall? Not sure about that. His brother is West Ham though

Freddy Kurz
05-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Sheringham is 39 next April, is contracted to
West Ham until August 2005 and is probably on
15k a week + promotion bonuses. Is there
anything else to say?

hernehilleagle
05-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Quality player but the opportunity has passed

05-10-2004, 06:06 PM
if we get relegated and no 1 wants im get im on 2k a week

ANDYEAGLE
05-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by oscarthecat
He was being rested.

Bit like you Oscar taking a rest eh?

We don't need Sheringham he is past his premier sell by, ok for the likes of the lower leaque clubs like West Spam.

Should'nt think he will be on 15k a week like Freddy suggests though maybe half that he could hardly command that sort of salary at this stage of his career. Probably doing it for charity his team need it.

forsells no1 fan
05-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by gull_palace1

Yeah and we can flog AJ to finance it!:rolleyes:

ANDYEAGLE
05-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by gull_palace1

When we get relegated Sheringham will be Sixtyfive would you still want him? There's a song there somewhere.

Freddy Kurz
06-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
Bit like you Oscar taking a rest eh?

We don't need Sheringham he is past his premier sell by, ok for the likes of the lower leaque clubs like West Spam.

Should'nt think he will be on 15k a week like Freddy suggests though maybe half that he could hardly command that sort of salary at this stage of his career. Probably doing it for charity his team need it.

You may well be right ANDYEAGLE, although there
are almost certain to be promotion bonuses invol-
ved. He certainly isn't one to be part of our
future plans. Saw him as a 16 year-old playing
for Scumwall against our Juniors and rated him
highly then, but his achievements have since far
exceeded my expectations. Probably the finest
all-round forward England has produced since
Johnny Haynes(if not quite as polished a perform
-er!)

LP
06-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Good signing for the Championship but tbh I'd rather have AJ ,Ventola, Torghelle and Dougie than a 39 year old on big wages.

LP
06-10-2004, 08:57 AM
& Kaviedes.