PDA

View Full Version : Ipswich after Derry and Freedman?

c_block_lad
08-10-2004, 01:02 PM
From Tribal Football

Ipswich Town boss Joe Royle is being linked with Crystal Palace pair Shaun Derry and Dougie Freedman.
Royle watched both players this week in reserves action against Coventry and could seek a loan deal for one the pair.

cpfc_spc1982
08-10-2004, 01:07 PM
nothing wrong with a loan if we have the option to recall them straight away.
dougie would currently be my second choice striker though., with ventola out.

NO1FAN
08-10-2004, 01:09 PM
As much as I love Dougie I think It's time to let go If the price Is right

Sussex Eagle
08-10-2004, 01:18 PM
I'd definately keep Dougie even as 4th or 5th choice striker, as he's almost guaranteed to come up with some absolutely vital goals for us, given the chance, which I can't genuinely say I yet believe about any of the strikers, other than possibly Shipps & AJ - and to be honest I'd say the only reason to keep Shipps is his good influence/respect behind the scenes. Derry? Can't see us needing him much other than in an injury crisis, loan him out, and then sell him in January once we have more depth in the midfield.

GreatGonzo
08-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Both of them will struggle to make the bench unless there are lots of injuries, would make sense to ease the wage bill a bit.

Of the 2 Dougie is on the most!

18mcpalace
08-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Paul Sturrock was also at the match (2 seats to my right) and seemed to be mentioning Shaun Derry a lot to the 2 Sheffield Wednesday coaches/scouts that he had with him.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get him on loan.

Levski
08-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Would Dougie take a pay cut to leave Palace? Would a Div One side pay that much for a player? What do you think? I hope he stays here for a couple more years at least.

Sussex Eagle
08-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Why would the Dougster have changed his mind about leaving in 2 weeks? He said it 'took him 3 seconds to decide to stay' when he had an offer from Leeds. Can't see Ipswich tempting him any more.

David of Kent
08-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by 18mcpalace
Paul Sturrock was also at the match (2 seats to my right) and seemed to be mentioning Shaun Derry a lot to the 2 Sheffield Wednesday coaches/scouts that he had with him.

He was saying "jesus that guy with the mullet is horrendous" ;)

palacetilidie
08-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Dougie has scored so many crucial goals for us over the years and it would be sad to see him go.

He is an exceptional first division striker (or 'Coca Cola Championship' or whatever you call it now) and as far as the Premiership is concerned I would always keep him on the bench because when you put him on the field in the last 20 mins of any game anything is possible.

I will never forget the 3-1 semi-final playoff at Selhurst against Wolves when Dougie showed his true class. Jamie Smith also saw the error of his ways and joined Palace after scoring for Wolves on that day.

Clapham Grand
08-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Already a thread on this!! Really C-Block I thought you would know better!

Scroatey
08-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Sentiment aside gents, we're building a stronger team that these two won't feature in.

I will always be thankful to both for their respective contributions in the history of CPFC :lux:

LP
08-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Sending Dougie out on loan would be ideal now, it would give him first team football and we could always recall him if necessary. I'd be against him leaving permanantly though, because if we do go down then he'll be an invaluable player for us when we seek to bounce back to the Premiership next season. Especially as Kaviedes and Ventola will leave if we do go down.

PhilD
08-10-2004, 02:36 PM
I saw a rumour on an ipswich board that Palace have agreed a deal for Darren Bent and that Freedman will be moving (initially on loan) as a makeweight in the deal.

cpfc_spc1982
08-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by PhilD
I saw a rumour on an ipswich board that Palace have agreed a deal for Darren Bent and that Freedman will be moving (initially on loan) as a makeweight in the deal.

id settle for that. hes a croydon boy orginally i believe.

st albans
08-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Why would the Dougster have changed his mind about leaving in 2 weeks? He said it 'took him 3 seconds to decide to stay' when he had an offer from Leeds. Can't see Ipswich tempting him any more.

but leeds are shit and going nowhere, wheras ipswich have a good chance of going up this year, so i can definately see them tempting him

st albans
08-10-2004, 02:50 PM

one rumour i hope would be true, although can't see where or when he would play this season with all the other strikers we have. i could only see him playing IF we go down and then he'd be where he is now (playing in the championship)

Bent will be off to everton in january, mark my words....Marcus Bent has apparently been talking to him already

Big Fella
08-10-2004, 02:53 PM

And that would possibly tie in with Routledge going to Spurs. After all, Bent can play right side as well as up front.

Jimbo ?
08-10-2004, 02:59 PM
would be a good move for them now, and come back and assess their squad positions or come back with some form.

cpfc_spc1982
08-10-2004, 03:20 PM
how much was the charlton bid they turned down for bent ?

Big Fella
08-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Think it was 3 million.

arussell
08-10-2004, 03:31 PM
They've obviously been reading my match report.

He, Paul Sturrock and Ronnie Moore were all at the Coventry game, probably watching our fringe players and possibly Coventry's Suffo and Shearer.

Sussex Eagle
08-10-2004, 03:34 PM
From sporting life

ROYLE PLAYS DOWN FREEDMAN TALK
Ipswich boss Joe Royle has played down reports linking him with a loan swoop for experienced Crystal Palace striker Dougie Freedman.

Royle watched the 30-year-old in scoring action for the Eagles' reserves as they went down 2-1 to Coventry at Nuneaton on Wednesday.

But he said: "There is nothing imminent. I watched the game - I wouldn't deny that - but I was simply having a look along with other managers.

"It's all part of the on-going process, nothing more than that. We have an ever-changing list of possible loan targets but there is no need for urgency at the moment.

"I have said I'm keen to bring in one or two players on loan and that still remains the case, but there is no specific target. It will depend on our needs.

"There isn't a lot wrong with the team at the moment - it's like the Americans say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. On the other hand we have to be ready just in case something does happen - that's where we're at right now."

BUNGLE
08-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Neither players would be a great loss.

Sussex Eagle
08-10-2004, 04:15 PM
I can live with the potential loss of Dougie when I am certain we have clearly superior players in his place. AJ, Ventola, Kaviedes & Sanyi may well soon fulfill this statement in my eyes. But I'd rather wait until it has been proven by the players with results (individually) on the pitch.

hernehilleagle
08-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Wouldn't miss Shaun, and his ridiculus hair. I'd prefer to keep the Doug though.

Clapham Grand
08-10-2004, 04:36 PM

That would be a good deal!

BLUE BOY
08-10-2004, 06:30 PM

I like this deal a lot!

weh8millwall
08-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by hernehilleagle
Wouldn't miss Shaun, and his ridiculus hair.

Oi, i've spent months perfecting my hair to look just like Shaun!

nottsunieagle
08-10-2004, 06:42 PM
if the bent rumour is true it would be a brilliant move on our part. dougie is a palace legend but db has time on his side and him and aj upfront would be phenomenal.

08-10-2004, 08:22 PM
can anyone confirm this

maestro
09-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Doubt that rumour is true as they turned down a good offer from Charlton for Bent

Brett
10-10-2004, 01:51 AM
I dunno. Much as Dougie's a lazy git, he's got a bit of extra class... the only thing that separates him from the Bergkamp's is work rate.

Probably not the thread for this but what a wasted career. :(

gold76
10-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Brett
I dunno. Much as Dougie's a lazy git, he's got a bit of extra class... the only thing that separates him from the Bergkamp's is work rate.

I think that's a tad harsh. Dougie's had a good career, played in the premier league, play-off finals & represented his country, albeit briefly. Most people would give their right arm for that.. Back to the thread though, I'd love to see Bent come here, I think he's a top prospect, who'll grace the premier sooner rather than later, doubt it'll be with Palace though! With both the Doug & Derry out of the first team picture a loan move to Ipswich might be in their best interests.

c_block_lad
10-10-2004, 11:24 AM
A player of Dougie's talent should have been a permiment fixture in the Premier League, not just the odd cameo apperance.

Pikie Punisher
10-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by maestro
Doubt that rumour is true as they turned down a good offer from Charlton for Bent

That's cos Bent said he didn't want to go to a boring club with "train spotting :clown: type" fans who sit there with picnic hampers wearing waxed jackets, pink shirts, brown corduroys, shiny brogues and who's main songs are "Charlton rah, rah, rah" and "we are red we are white we are flipping dynamite" :confused: :clown: :clown: .

BUNGLE
10-10-2004, 12:28 PM

Oh come on, what if only dougie had ran abit more he would have been as good as bergkamp?

Lets get some perspective people.

(Bent would be a good signing imho.)

Brett
10-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
Oh come on, what if only dougie had ran abit more he would have been as good as bergkamp?

Lets get some perspective people.

(Bent would be a good signing imho.)

You really have shown a total lack of understanding and simplicity with that comment.

Kirby
10-10-2004, 01:51 PM
It'd be sweet as if we got the Bender!

Doubt it though.

Ouzodan
10-10-2004, 02:17 PM

I couldnt agree more Brett - although I dont think his career has been wasted he has achieved alot and full credit to him he deserves it.
I think he should definitely be a regular in both the Premiership & Scotland's national side, and to drop back down a league again is Criminal.

we_8_brighton
10-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Would love to see Bent at Palace.

Loaning out Derry and Freedman wouldn't be a bad idea as they can't get near the team at the moment. Freedman does have that extra bit of quality, but in the prem you need people with quality and with a decent work rate.

Brett
10-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Ouzodan
I couldnt agree more Brett - although I dont think his career has been wasted he has achieved alot and full credit to him he deserves it.
I think he should definitely be a regular in both the Premiership & Scotland's national side, and to drop back down a league again is Criminal.

I'm not saying it's been a total waste. He's reached a level most of us can only dream about and much as he irritates me out on the park, he's - with Kaviedes the exception - the only player we have with the ability to unlock the best defences.

I just feel that with spunk, application, desire and work rate, he could have been Scotland's modern day Kenny Dalglish.

pete eagle
10-10-2004, 03:19 PM
I always thought it was consistency that was Freedman's problem, would be wonderful one game and then lame the next. Maybe that has to do with what Brett says about laziness but I think it was he couldn't reproduce week in, week out.

BUNGLE
10-10-2004, 03:58 PM
It's not laziness he can't reproduce week in week out, 50% of times his flicks and tricks work, 50%of the time they don't. With players like Bergkamp about 90% of the flicks and tricks work.

Great Lombardi
10-10-2004, 04:19 PM
With players like Bergkamp about 90% of the flicks and tricks work.

Yeah because Arsenal's player are probably used to that skilful style of forward play. They can read what bergkamp is going to do, while some our players are probably more used to big strong target men like Shipperley, or pacy front runners like AJ.

Ben H
10-10-2004, 09:57 PM
I thought Freedman would have been given more of a look in. He played well against Everton and showed that the extra time you get in the Premiership suits him. Then again Dowie's game play is based heavily on work rate/tempo so I can see why he's fallen out of favour.

chelmsfordeagle
11-10-2004, 03:49 AM
would let them both go. i think there both not quite good enough for the prem.

and i can't except the comaparing dougie to bergkamp. Bergkamp has performed to high standards in top league and at international level, dougie has had some very good performances at div 1 level. I agree his effort has held him back a bit but not that much.

Whitney
13-10-2004, 09:52 AM
Dougie has been over-rated by many Palace fans for a while now. Not consistant enough for Div 1 let alone the Premier league.

Will always :love: him for his efforts for the Palace thou.