PDA

View Full Version : Marcel Desailly

Big Guns
11-10-2004, 07:44 AM
He turned us down recently!

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=230761&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Desailly+reveals+snub+for+trio

jolly_jallopee
11-10-2004, 07:47 AM
i call bull

Neil
11-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Bothered.

Son of Ron
11-10-2004, 07:54 AM
at least we weren't one of the forgotten others.

but we don't need him and his exorbitant wages anyway.

Aki Aki Aki
11-10-2004, 08:13 AM
I think he would have struggled at his age in the Premiership. I know he had many fantastic years and was a superb player but he was showing signs that he was not the same player anymore, hence Chelsea letting him go. I believe that we have better players in this position at Palace.

st albans
11-10-2004, 08:15 AM
what a shame

hugosabin
11-10-2004, 08:20 AM
good, don't need signings like him

MasterYoda
11-10-2004, 08:23 AM
don't believe it - would go completely against dowie's young player philosophy and in a position where we didn't really need to strengthen (not that i believe he would have strengthened)

johnnytemper
11-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Obviously on the lookout for who was offering the most money - turning down Premiership football with us, Champions League football with Celtic and manager of Ghana - to play in the new retiring grounds for past-it players...the likes of Petit (ie a player in positions where we are weak) then okay, but Marcel at centreback would be a liability nowadays...and if Desailly doesn't know that then he would have found out about it very quickly training with AJ, Routledge etc - nevermind in a match

TheCharmer
11-10-2004, 08:40 AM
a once great player but his legs have completely gone. Thank God we didn't get him

Benzhiyi
11-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Rubbish.

honeysuckle
11-10-2004, 08:52 AM
Desailly has played in European Cup Finals for at three seperate clubs as well as in a winning France side at the World Cup (Where he was sent off I recall) and at Euro 2000.

Age maybe has withered him a tad but I'd say he had something to add to the Palace squad and apparently so did: Dowie, O'neil and Harry R who oviously know nothing about a player.

eagles #1
11-10-2004, 08:58 AM
phew! thank god for that. good luck Marcel :p

Benzhiyi
11-10-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by honeysuckle
Desailly has played in European Cup Finals for at three seperate clubs as well as in a winning France side at the World Cup (Where he was sent off I recall) and at Euro 2000.

Age maybe has withered him a tad but I'd say he had something to add to the Palace squad and apparently so did: Dowie, O'neil and Harry R who oviously know nothing about a player.

Did you see him at Chelsea last season?

He'd be a liability at ANY Premiership club. Too old and too slow - simple as that.

honeysuckle
11-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Hello Benzhyi - No - I only saw Chelsea once or twice on the television and its not possible to tell much about a performance from the box since only a part of the playing field is visible at any one time.

His form suffered towards the end of the season according to my many Chelsea friends (most of whom never attend a match) but class is permanent and his experience is an attractive asset . As I mentioned previously a number of pre emminent Football people believe he can still cope with the demands of the Premiership.

It is a similar situation to that of Fernando Hierro at Bolton whom Alladyce has signed. He's only going to play a dozen games or so but his experience and class will be invaluable.

Webb
11-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Quite how someone so slow last season could pick up such a wage packet.
It's a pity when players are a shadow of their former greatness, and I'm actually suprised we went in for him.

Jimbo ?
11-10-2004, 11:09 AM
thank god for mark hudson!!! just imagine what might have been

DaveTuttles
11-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Probably just Dowie looking interested to throw other clubs of the scent of our real targets. Redknapp does it all the time.

Clapham Grand
11-10-2004, 12:32 PM
glad to see he didn't choose us!

Braders
11-10-2004, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clapham Grand
glad to see he didn't choose us! [/QUOTE

Same here!

fat pigeon
11-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Great player in his prime, but well over the hill now.

Pikie Punisher
12-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Trying to boast of who turned him down :confused: !? Pi55 off Desailly you heap of old 5hit.

c_block_lad
14-10-2004, 06:13 PM
From Croydon Guardian.

Lure of pay day in desert sun too strong for Desially

Former France and Chelsea captain Marcel Desially turned down an offer from Crystal Palace in order to take a massive pay day in Qatar.

Palace boss Iain Dowie admitted this week that he had spoken to the World Cup winner about a possible move to Selhurst Park, but after a friendly chat with the French defender the Palace manager revealed money was certainly an issue.

Dowie said: "We had a conversation with Marcel, there's no question about that we did. We had a very positive conversation with him, we hoped to attract him as an experienced pro with a young side, but he declined our offer politely.

"We were a little bit short on the money judging by his move to Qatar!"

Desially claimed this week he received offers from Portsmouth and Celtic, as well as Palace, and was strongly tipped to join Barcelona to aid their defensive crisis, but instead opted to join the many other nineties legends plying their trade in the super-rich Qatar league.

According to Dowie one of the attractions of Desially was that he could play in the holding midfield role, which could have seen the former AC Milan man deploy the position he was once regarded as the best in the world when he starred and scored in AC Milan's 4-0 drubbing of Barcelona in the 1994 European Cup final.

But Dowie did receive some good news this week with the return to training of frontman Nicola Ventola and defender Darren Powell after their respective knee and cheekbone injuries, and was further boosted with defender Danny Butterfield's return to reserve team action last week.

The young defender has so far not featured this term and Dowie admitted Butterfield's return will give him further options at he back.

Dowie said: "Danny Butterfield will always give you a selection headache, but Boyce's the man in possession.

"But he's a quality player Danny, and he's done exceptionally in training. He's a great character, certainly got Premiership quality and is a great passer so he'll be a big boost for us."

Kirby
14-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Tut tut C_Block, you should know better.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92954&highlight=desailly