PDA

View Full Version : Dowie on Jan transfers

Il Padrino
22-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Dowie still open for business
By Leo Spall, Evening Standard
22 October 2004
Iain Dowie expects to to be wheeling and dealing in the transfer market at least until the end of January.

The Crystal Palace manager has brought in 13 new players since the summer after winning promotion to the Premiership.

The club's outlay has been relatively small, with half of them free transfers or loans, but Dowie has still been one of the busiest managers around.

His most recent addition, Vassilis Lakis, joined at the end of last month when the transfer window had closed.

He was only eligible for a move because he was out of contract at AEK Athens. Dowie, whose side take on West Brom at Selhurst Park tomorrow, is looking for similar deals before the next trading period when he expects to have funds for established top-flight players. He also anticipates letting some of his squad leave.

Dowie said: "I would think there would be movement before January.

"Probably 24 or 25 players is a decent-size squad so there could be a fair few changes to come. I am not going to keep players here for the sake of it." Palace's firstteam squad currently numbers 31 and among those who could be vulnerable are Neil Shipperley, Dougie Freedman, Tommy Black, Shaun Derry and Darren Powell.

West Brom's Neil Clement is a possible transfer target. However, the full-back is suspended tomorrow along with Darren Purse but Zoltan Gera, who Palace tried to buy in the summer, should play.

Neither team have any new injury problems

22-10-2004, 10:06 AM
sounds good

timmy heald
22-10-2004, 10:10 AM
sounds good to me.

however, i was very upset to google search : ian dowie, and see uglyfootballers.com as the first site to pop up!

completely untrue Ian....you are a God.

Neil 154
22-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by timmy heald
sounds good to me.

however, i was very upset to google search : ian dowie, and see uglyfootballers.com as the first site to pop up!

completely untrue Ian....you are a God.

He hee. But perhaps if you could spell his name right you'd come to a different website?

Raoul Duke
22-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Any incoming transfers will depend completely on our league position come January.

DaveTuttles
22-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Iain Dowie

GanbareWashi
22-10-2004, 12:17 PM
My God, maybe Iain has an ugly brother called Ian?!!

silver
22-10-2004, 08:54 PM
nice one

Ben H
24-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Derry and Black must be most vulnerable.

Sussex Eagle
24-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Powell, Shipps, Derry, Black will almost certainly be on their way I suspect. Dougie on the other hand seems to forcing his way into the squad against ID's initial instincts? But our genuine first-team squad is not 31 as the article says - that has to include every kid who's on the programme. Looks like at least a couple of really good players coming in in January if all goes to plan.

18mcpalace
25-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Spadeface Bruce brought in a couple of players like Dugarry in the January of the Brumscum's first season in the Premiership which really helped to give them a real fighting chance of staying up. So long as we look like we have a strong fighting chance of staying up (and after out last 4 performances, we should do!) I'd expect Dowie to have a few quality signings lined up.

GUCCI Eagle
25-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Freedman looked almost back to full sharpness on Saturday - I hope we keep him, he cvould be very useful.

gold76
25-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Dougie certainly looks like he's forced his way back into first team contention. Black, Derry & Powell look like they're on the way out by the end of the season, although I think Shipps is worth retaining in the short term at least. On the incoming front in January, I think Clement would be a good addition to the squad & another midfielder like Michael Brown.

Beanie
25-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Surely, departures are not dependant on the transfer window, as none of the players we are likley to want to sell will go to a premiership side. Only reason I suppose might be that as a Coca Cola side sells a "crown jewel" in the window they will look to replace with somebody we might sell.

75points
26-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Dougie must be kept for at least a season as an insurance policy against relegation - which would be likely to spell the departure of AJ.

martin.cpfc
27-10-2004, 09:11 AM
OUT
Powell to Reading
Togwell / Soares out on loan
Black to go.... anywhere.

Lords Eagle
27-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle
Freedman looked almost back to full sharpness on Saturday - I hope we keep him, he cvould be very useful.

Have to say, I didn't think he looked very sharp at all and out of his depth

GreatGonzo
27-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Have to agree with that.

He got all the opportunities against Hartlepool as well which didn't inspire confidence. He has been a great servant to the club and has scored both good and importnat goals but he is not premiership quality.

Every game he plays, both for the first team, on the bench and in the reserves is halting another player from trying to make the grade.

jazman
27-10-2004, 11:54 AM
31 players? Are most of them strikers?

Agreed, Dougie looked sharp on Saturday and with the injuries to Ventola, lack of form for Torghelle and Kaviedes missing, Dougie can take his chance against Dowies better judgement.

They will be 4 or 5 out the door though surely.

Malakite
27-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 75points
Dougie must be kept for at least a season as an insurance policy against relegation - which would be likely to spell the departure of AJ. Nope no way......AJ is not going anywhere....and also, keep Freedman even if we STAY up! :p

adrenalin john
27-10-2004, 01:52 PM
don't knock dougie he's got plenty of bouncebackability his career is full of successful comebacks and beaten full backs

Daddy Long
27-10-2004, 01:58 PM
I suppose it depends what positions we strengthen. Dowie was certainly looking for a new left back before the transfer window closed. Who would that spell the end for - Granville or Borrowdale?

Powell (a shame), Derry, Black, Shipperley, Freedman must all be crossing their fingers.

David of Kent
27-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Surely, departures are not dependant on the transfer window, as none of the players we are likley to want to sell will go to a premiership side. Only reason I suppose might be that as a Coca Cola side sells a "crown jewel" in the window they will look to replace with somebody we might sell.

Also probably as we don't wish to decrease our squad before we can replace those leaving

Cleon
02-11-2004, 10:16 AM
31 players is about right - our current squad as:

Kiraly
Speroni
Cronin
Boyce
Butterfield
Hall
Popovic
Hudson
Sorondo (loan)
Powell
Leigterwood
Granville
Borrowdale
Routledge
Lakis
Black
Watson
Riihilarti
Kolkka
Hughes
Danze
Kaviedes (loan)
Derry
Soares
Johnson
Freedman
Torghelle
Ventola (loan)
Andrews
Shipperley

I'm guessing that Powell, Derry, Black and Shipperley are all potentially on their way out of the club, leaving us with around 23 fulltime players, and 3 loanees. In many ways, Dowie's easy work has been done - the squad has been built up. Now he will need to make hard choices about who needs replacing within the squad to make the team better, to ensure that we continue to move forward without overloading our wage bill.

Personally I would rather work with what we've got, and replace judicously and carefully, rather than go and add 5 new players in January.

dj3071
02-11-2004, 10:31 AM
I don't think you can include Cronin, Soares, Borrowdale or Andrews because they are all still learning their trade and are unlikely to have any sort of run in the First team. I would imagine cover for Kolkka should be the priority. Same old names come to bare Ships, Powell, Black, must be on the danger list. Which is a shame because none of them have had a decent run in the first team. Not that I am complaining because we must play our best players when ever they are available.

lordanton
02-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Cover for Granville to remember....

Freddy Kurz
02-11-2004, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dj3071
I don't think you can include Cronin, Soares, Borrowdale or Andrews because they are all still learning their trade and are unlikely to have any sort of run in the First team. I would imagine cover for Kolkka should be the priority. Same old names come to bare Ships, Powell, Black, must be on the danger list. Which is a shame because none of them have had a decent run in the first team. Not that I am complaining because we must play our best players when ever they are available. [/QUOTE

Thought Borrowdale v Chortleton in the Cup at the Valley showed he isn't
too far off Premier League standard.

Spender
05-11-2004, 04:33 PM
We need a left back as a priority in January.

Doug suprised me with his brilliant performance at Charton but he , Derry, Shipps , Black and Powell look to be under threat.

Personally I rate Powell more highly than Hudson.

Loan move and regular 1st team football should be a priority to develop Borrowdale.

Sires
05-11-2004, 09:45 PM
I also saw nothing wrong with the performances of Leigertwood so why has he suddenly been left out of the picture he did really well during the play off final

Latvian Eagle
06-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Sires
I also saw nothing wrong with the performances of Leigertwood so why has he suddenly been left out of the picture he did really well during the play off final

Been said about 200 times in the last couple of weeks that he's been out injured since pre season, and only just coming back.

etu
06-11-2004, 07:54 PM
And played most of the match today - seems to indicate he's going nowhere.

BLUE BOY
06-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by etu
And played most of the match today - seems to indicate he's going nowhere.

Would like to see liegertwood play left back instead of Granvile to be honest.

nomad
06-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by BLUE BOY
Would like to see liegertwood play left back instead of Granvile to be honest.

Totally agrere with this as I said the same thing myself. I thought he played a blinder today and, apart from Wayne, Granville was our weak link as he gives the ball away far too much.

Shoreditch CPFC
07-11-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by nomad
Totally agrere with this as I said the same thing myself. I thought he played a blinder today and, apart from Wayne, Granville was our weak link as he gives the ball away far too much.

Dowie has played him there for the reserves hasn't he ? I think in Jan we need a top quality left back, decent cover for Kolka and now that we are playing 3 central midfielders I would think we need at least 1 attacking and 1 defensive midfielder as well. If Routledge goes we will need cover on the right as well.

Hopefully most of the players unlikely to get a run at the moment we can send on loan so they get some good experience and we don't have to pay their wages. I would think Powell, Black, Derry, Soares, Togwell fall into this category and possibly Andrews and Shipps if Dowie feels they won't get a sniff this season and maybe Borrowdale if we do bring in a quality left back.

SE25Eagle
07-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Being realistic Routledge is leaving in January, so i think 2 wind men will be on the shopping list for I Dowie as Kolkka hasn't really lived up to expectations

Luke Harwood
07-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by SE25Eagle
Kolkka hasn't really lived up to expectations

You're right. He's only made the loss of Gray a distant memory, provided many attacking opportunities, is two footed and tracks back to make sure Danny G isn't overwhelmed. :rolleyes:

nomad
07-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Being realistic Routledge is leaving in January, so i think 2 wind men will be on the shopping list for I Dowie as Kolkka hasn't really lived up to expectations

I thought that Wayne going would be a massive blow but Lakis played far better than Wayne when he came on. I have been very dispapointed with Wayne this season and I think his agent has convinced him that he is a better player than he is - shades of Julian Gray, possibly.

Grunt
07-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Kolkka hasn't really lived up to expectations Disagree. I think he's been improving all the time and was one of our best players against Arsenal.

eagles #1
07-11-2004, 11:40 AM
What did Granville do wrong yesterday against the best attacking team in the world??

Granville has played well this season. Well done Danny.

lordanton
07-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by eagles #1
What did Granville do wrong yesterday against the best attacking team in the world??

Can only agree with that. Made just one or two mistakes against the Champions.

MasterYoda
07-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Kolkka hasn't really lived up to expectations Given that hardly anybody knew anything about him when he signed what did you actually expect?

glaziers fan
07-11-2004, 05:00 PM
In the transfer we need to keep Routledge and sign 2 players. A top-class young left-back (Arca?) and a top class left winger (Gonzalez or Reid). That's it! I don't honestly think there'll be many new players coming into the squad during the summer, even if we stay up.

So far, these players have PROVEN themselves to be Premiership standard:

Kiraly
Popovic
Hall
Hughes
Aki
Watson
Johnson.

These players are in the process of proving themselves:

Boyce
Hudson
Leigertwood
Routledge
Lakis
Kaviedes
Ventola
Torghelle
Kolkka

The only player who continues to make mistakes is Granville, and Speroni still looks dodgy on crosses, judging from his performance vs Charlton.

If you look at the players who have proven themselves, it is only the wide men we are lacking. BUT don't forget that Danny B and WR were 2 of our best performers last season, the former of which hasn't played in the Prem due to injury and the latter of which already has 6 Prem asists to his name.

Kolkka is improving but isn't as good as Julian Gray and Danny G is still not quite good enough, but if we sort out our flanks we are going to be very difficult to beat! (Not that we aren't already:p )

krupa
07-11-2004, 05:16 PM

Courtney Pine or is that more yer Tony Blair type of wind ...sorry mate couldnt resist :p

mean
07-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1

Well said mate. He's been solid from the start of the season in my view. It seems to be becoming fashionable to slag him, next the cabbages will start booing, and then wonder why he leaves and the recovery is stalled!! We havnt seen many better this season in the oposition either.

READING EAGLE
07-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Every team must have a poorest player, Granville is possibly ours, however it does not mean we need to replace him.
Most teams are strongest right side therefore the left back has the hardest job and Granville has shown he is up for it with 100 % effort time and time again.

BUNGLE
07-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Would of thought Dowie would be looking for:
a left back,
Centre midfielder
and a Winger if Routledge goes.

budgie
07-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Have the recent events at Spurs, meant that Routledge might not be wanted by them any longer.

pedro
07-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by READING EAGLE
Every team must have a poorest player, Granville is possibly ours,
Cannot agree, Kollka looks like a little boy lost and apart from a few nice touches he spends the game trying to hide. Finding someone to replace him is far more necessary than a replacement for Granville who is having a fairly decent season.

jordanismygod
07-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Hide?
The bloke is constantly looking for the ball. His team mates don't pass to him enough!

pedro
07-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by jordanismygod
Hide?
The bloke is constantly looking for the ball. His team mates don't pass to him enough!
Exactly, what does that tell you, even his own team mates use him as a last option.

cstickner
07-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Derry Black Powell and Shipperley can all go . Harsh but fair I know.

Sussex Eagle
07-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by pedro
Exactly, what does that tell you, even his own team mates use him as a last option.

My god. You admit you were completely wrong and claim it proves your point, all within 3 minutes. Amazing.

Clapham Grand
07-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by pedro
Cannot agree, Kollka looks like a little boy lost and apart from a few nice touches he spends the game trying to hide. .

Jesus Christ:rolleyes:

pedro
07-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Jesus Christ:rolleyes:
Is that your choice for a replacement, I heard he wasn't very good on crosses. I'll get my coat!

TonbridgeEagle
07-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Kolkka is quality. Said it since the day he signed :p

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
07-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by TonbridgeEagle
Kolkka is quality.

Hear hear.

Ralph
08-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Kolkaa started averagely and has progressed significantly into a fairly decent player. If that progression continues then we dont have a problem, it's probably a confidence thing as he was out for a long time at Monchengladbach.

I wish people had more faith in players. I think we need cover for him but I thought Lakis could play on either side!?

El Aguila
08-11-2004, 08:39 AM
I think Pedro dislikes left wingers.

jordanismygod
08-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Maybe he's a Tory boy?

cpfc_spc1982
08-11-2004, 09:20 AM
if crap like norwich make a move for darren bent so should we. he would be a excellent replacement for wayne playing right midfield/striker, should wayne leave. would add abit more aerial presence up top as well.

Great Lombardi
08-11-2004, 09:38 AM
would add abit more aerial presence up top as well.

I don't think Bent is particularly renowned for his aerial presence. He is a bit overrated if you ask me, but did score a corker at the weekend.

Dean Ashton is the man to buy.

GUCCI Eagle
08-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Nope, Dave Kitson is the man in my opinion.

Stubby
08-11-2004, 09:47 AM
I though Leigertwood did very well when he came on on Saturday!

Great Lombardi
08-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Nope, Dave Kitson is the man in my opinion.

Come on, no-one likes a ginger :D

smileysmith
08-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Can't beleive anyone is criticising any of the team that played yesterday - they were all awesome. I think Dowie's got some tough choices if he is going to let anyone go ...

pedro
08-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by El Aguila
I think Pedro dislikes left wingers.
:D

Ron Dogers
08-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Kolkaa started averagely and has progressed significantly into a fairly decent player. If that progression continues then we dont have a problem, it's probably a confidence thing as he was out for a long time at Monchengladbach.

I wish people had more faith in players. I think we need cover for him but I thought Lakis could play on either side!?

Can maybe play on either side but wish he could hit a cows arse with the proverbal banjo!:D

honeysuckle
08-11-2004, 11:20 AM
We are well organised at the moment playing a system designed to stop our opponents playing.Hughes and Aki have been superb at disrupting the attacking play of other teams. We also have an abundance of pace with which to counter attack and two wide players to get the ball into the box quickly. Its been working well.

However a word of caution, we are going to struggle to score should Johnson get injured and this system means we are not getting into scoring positions often enough. We have had no more than a handful of chances in our last two league games.

Therefore in January we will need to strengthen the team and bring in another attacking left sided player and cover for Aki and Hughes in Midfield. We may be a good position to stay up by January so might be able to get a player with premiership experience such as Thompson at Celtic.

Doogie has shown great character to prove Dowie wrong and is back in contention with the first team entirely through merit. A great performance at Charlton and with an average of 1 goal to every three games, far better than other contenders he's got to be worth his place.

I also seem to recall that last year many thought Danny Butterfield would be a star this year. I think they were right so when he comes back into the team we will be stronger. Also if Legertwood can contribute as he did against Arsenal we might not need to buy another midfield player.

And above all we have a manger of great tactical awareness who can motivate and innovate. The future looks good this week.

Randomly Random
08-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Couldn't agree more Honeysuckle. As shown against Arsenal Iain Dowie has great tactical awareness. Without a doubt we must bring at least a defensive midfielder and a left back. Even if Routledge does leave in January (which IMHO is highly unlikely) we could play Butterfield at right wing. It's an option, I'm not saying it's what should happen.

A left winger might also be a good idea as cover for Kolkka who has looked alright so far. He needs time to settle down to the pace of Premiership football. He is very quick with bags of experience so I'm sure by Christmas we'll see how good he really can be.

sydnsteve
08-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Honeysuckle. I can't see DB getting back in at all. A real shame as i like him, but with Boyce and Leggy playing as they are how will DB ever get a look in?

Braders
08-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Great Lombardi
Come on, no-one likes a ginger :D

Huh-hmm...... what about the brilliant Ben Watson.:rolleyes:

Icy
08-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Randomly Random
Even if Routledge does leave in January (which IMHO is highly unlikely) we could play Butterfield at right wing. It's an option, I'm not saying it's what should happen.

Actually it is likely as spurs have supposedly offered him 10k a week compared to Palace's 4k.

Dillenger
08-11-2004, 03:27 PM
maybe leigertwood can provide cover for the defensive midfield position - given his performance on saturday he seems a great squad player.

i think we could do with another left sided midfielder to act as cover or competition for kolka. not so sure about left-back as people seem to have forgotton Borrowdale, who's a good prospect in my opinion.

GreatGonzo
08-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Shipperley, Powell, Derry, Black would be 3 i wouldn't mind if they left.

In terms of who we get in

A left winger, Defensive midfielder and a Striker with bags of pace (All as cover unless Kily comes in which case Kollka will have to make way)

Shoreditch CPFC
08-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Shipperley, Powell, Derry, Black would be 3 i wouldn't mind if they left.

In terms of who we get in

A left winger, Defensive midfielder and a Striker with bags of pace (All as cover unless Kily comes in which case Kollka will have to make way)

4 I think ! I tend to agree, although would like to see Powell get a chance first.

jempie
08-11-2004, 06:01 PM
QPR are after black, albeit only on loan. Might play on Wed - never know.

Ideally we would get cover for AJ - but would this be wise, when we have already bought in Sandor, Ventola and Andrews as well as having Shipps and Dougie. Unless 3 of those left, I can't see it.

We won't buy a left winger - granville can cover there.

A very good creative midfielder would be good, and maybe a replacement for Poppy, who I think is look out of depth the most.

I'm not expecting that much, unless AJ and/or Wayne leave....PLEASE DON'T GO!

BUNGLE
08-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Not sure about selling Shipps, would wait until Torgehelle proves himself as we know Shipps can do the job as a big man in div 1 at least.

nomad
08-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by jempie
QPR are after black, albeit only on loan. Might play on Wed - never know.

Ideally we would get cover for AJ - but would this be wise, when we have already bought in Sandor, Ventola and Andrews as well as having Shipps and Dougie. Unless 3 of those left, I can't see it.

We won't buy a left winger - granville can cover there.

A very good creative midfielder would be good, and maybe a replacement for Poppy, who I think is look out of depth the most.

I'm not expecting that much, unless AJ and/or Wayne leave....PLEASE DON'T GO!

Torghelle - indisciplined. Sent off twice in two games and. currently, suspended.
Ventola - injured most of the time
Shipps - ditto
Andrews - unproven in Prem
Dougie - not a Prem player any more IMO

WE NEED COVER FOR AJ!!!!!

Sussex Eagle
08-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Torghelle was on the bench yesterday.

This 'Prem player' stuff is silly - who'd have thought Boyce was a 'Premiership player' - but he's proven he is. Many doubted our entire squad. Dougie's role this season will be mainly off the bench as a creative injection I suspect - so you're right that he's never going to be direct backup for AJ. Nicola V or Ivan K COULD be the answer but if they haven't imposed themselves by January, I would LOVE to get Ellington if it's at all possible.

But hey, maybe AJ will play every game without a problem. Or maybe Wayne Andrews will turn out to be ID's emergency secret weapon, capable of filling Johnson's shoes?

Reps AJ
09-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
I would LOVE to get Ellington if it's at all possible.

Yeah, you and most of the managers in the Premiership and the Championship! :p

davematt
09-11-2004, 10:01 AM
We will not spend silly in January, as the team are now showing that they are capable of competing at this level. I would like us to definetly sign a new left winger, hopefully Kily Gonzalez, or possibly Andy Reid or Micheal Tonge. A left back would also be recommended, but I still think Borrowdale has something to offer. I would seriously consider off-loading Shipps & Tommy Black, and signing another striker with pace, possibly Darren Bent.

Jasper
09-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Andy Reid would be a fantastic signing although the rumours ive heard suggest he will cost 6-10million and he may be reluctant to join us as we are not yet an established premiership side. Gonzalez could be a possibility though.

Randomly Random
09-11-2004, 10:48 AM
I've read a few times that Kily Gonzalez wants to return to his former club, Valencia.