PDA

View Full Version : Dowie battles to keep Routledge


Lion
27-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Can't see this posted elsewhere. From the BBC,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/crystal_palace/3957449.stm



Crystal Palace boss Iain Dowie is hopeful midfielder Wayne Routledge will stay at the club despite interest from Premiership rivals Tottenham.

The 19-year-old was a 3m target on transfer deadline day and is stalling over a new Selhurst Park contract.

"Wayne will know in his own mind what he wants to do," said Dowie. "I desperately hope he wants to stay.

"His body language would intimate that. There's definitely something we can do and we have to sit down with him."

Dowie described Spurs' interest as "head-turning" for the England Under-19 international.

But he added: "I think his development is very important and I think he should have a few more years here yet before he makes that next step, if indeed he does. We're hopeful of sorting something out.

"I'm in the business of building a team, not dismantling one, and Wayne's one of the fundamental building blocks of that.

"I haven't found Wayne to be unsettled. I talked to him at the time and since then he's been terrific. I've no issues with him. He's always bright and bubbly."

davematt
27-10-2004, 08:05 AM
I do hope Dowie persuades him, but I feel Wayne's mind is already made up.

Ballon
27-10-2004, 08:10 AM
I agree with Davematt however to lose him for 0 would not be right.
However i don't feel that he is coping as well with the Premiership as some other players, perhaps a new contract and some work with the weights in the gym would have the desired effect.

Tommy Pickle
27-10-2004, 08:14 AM
I think Dowie is doing all he can, just gotta hope it will be enough. The 1st step will be to convince WR that Palace is the place to be for the next couple of years, which IMO ID will be capable of, the hardest bit is matching his financial expectations. I don't know how important this will be to Wayne, but i don't think we would be able to compete with Spurs in terms of wages.

Tommy Pickle
27-10-2004, 08:14 AM
thanks for article Lion.

drizzt
27-10-2004, 08:23 AM
We certainly would'nt lose him for nothing as he is under 24 we can ask for a fee, if the two clubs can not agree a fee it would go to a tribunal. We most likely would'nt get market value but certainly would'nt be free.

Tommy Pickle
27-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by drizzt
We certainly would'nt lose him for nothing as he is under 24 we can ask for a fee, if the two clubs can not agree a fee it would go to a tribunal. We most likely would'nt get market value but certainly would'nt be free.

No consolation IMO

Merton Eagle
27-10-2004, 08:27 AM
Spurs will duck and dive to get hime as cheap as possible like they did with Paul Robinson. They are very shrewd, tight, scheisters in the transfer market these days.

Palace121
27-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by davematt
I do hope Dowie persuades him, but I feel Wayne's mind is already made up.

Not if we beat Arsenal, Newcastle and Liverpool. :o

I hope he doesn't leave. He's such a talent. We have Tottenham on the last game of the year, maybe he'll make up his mind then.

Stubby
27-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Do you think he would just walk into the Spurs team?

hughff
27-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Check who his agent is. He's going. We need to get as much as we can for him by starting a bidding war.

BaldEagle96
27-10-2004, 08:58 AM
If he wanted to stay why has he not signed a new contract.... If he wants to go then good riddance. We really do not need players who do not want to be part of our club and our future, however good they are! (unless of course it was AJ :D)

Thanet Eagle
27-10-2004, 09:04 AM
It will not be Waynes decision but his agents,sad but true.

TheCharmer
27-10-2004, 09:22 AM
This article doesn't suggest the player want s to leave, but who know s Dowie could be putting a positive spin on it. By the way how long does it take to organise these 'sit downs' to discuss contract s,etc?

Shoreditch CPFC
27-10-2004, 09:44 AM
no inside info, but I just wondered how people would feel about Jamie Redknapp + cash in exchange for Routledge ? Longer term I would rather keep him, but in terms of our prospects for this season, I wouldn't mind.

davematt
27-10-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Shoreditch CPFC
no inside info, but I just wondered how people would feel about Jamie Redknapp + cash in exchange for Routledge ? Longer term I would rather keep him, but in terms of our prospects for this season, I wouldn't mind.

NO!!! Jamie is a good player but too injury prone. I would rather have a player like Rohan Ricketts, as he has potential and is still young.

Beanie
27-10-2004, 10:09 AM
No club will offer more than about 1m for Wayne in Jan unless theyare desparate as they will know the tribunal fee would be lower in another 6 months. So, if I were ID I'd make certain he's still here in Feb by simply saying no as he did in August. We might lose a bit of money but not a lot - and he could help us stay up which will more than compensate the loss.

bigee
27-10-2004, 10:33 AM
I dont believe WR has even been offered a new deal as of yet.

Kirby
27-10-2004, 10:47 AM
A straight swap for someone like Brown or Davies (who are in and out of the team) would be good. Doubt it'd happen though.

Think Ricketts is on loan at Cov.

cpfc_spc1982
27-10-2004, 10:49 AM
if we get 3mil , which may or may not be the case come jan i still think he can be replaced. not saying he hasnt had a big role this season with his assists though.

Malakite
27-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Any more news on the Wayne situation guys?

PeterH
27-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Anymore than 2 million and we take it.

A lot depends on whether we have a realistic chance to stay up come January.

King William
27-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by davematt
I feel Wayne's mind is already made up. what makes you think that?

nottsunieagle
27-10-2004, 11:43 AM
dowie's on the case. he'll do all he can for us. there's no point speculating any more as this'll just turn into another of those 100+ threads.

davematt
27-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by King William
what makes you think that?

Just a hunch.........................:(

Daddy Long
27-10-2004, 11:57 AM
We have got to offer Wayne a contract to consider. Until then, its all conjecture.

gold76
27-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Whilst Wayne's an exciting prospect, one of the best home grown talents we've had in years, we've still got the very promising Lakis on hand in case he leaves. Like others on here, I wouldn't be too unhappy if we get Brown or Ricketts in exchange.

bigee
27-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Would we really be happy to take the money?If we bought in a new replacement(or play Lakis for that matter)do you think they could improve on WRs assists record to date-7 in 10?And remember he has cost us nothing,i think ID is right to battle to keep him-just be quick about it!!

ANDYEAGLE
27-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Kirby
A straight swap for someone like Brown or Davies (who are in and out of the team) would be good. Doubt it'd happen though.

Think Ricketts is on loan at Cov.

Brown or Davies are not in the same class as Wayne IMO .
It is still total speculation that Wayne wants to leave and until he is actually offered a new contract who knows?
My personal feelings are he will sign a new contract ( dependent on terms) it is certainly not up to his agent. Time will tell.

hernehilleagle
27-10-2004, 12:21 PM
I hope we can keep him - at least to the end of the season

Pub Idol
27-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
Anymore than 2 million and we take it.

A lot depends on whether we have a realistic chance to stay up come January.

A pathetic amount for the best player we have produced since Gareth Southgate.

Ron Dogers
27-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Any comments re Wayne and his Prem performances or swapping him for Spurs journeymen would have (or at least should have) been dead in the water if the subscribers had seen him against lads his own age for the U-20's against Holland.

Lee B
27-10-2004, 12:35 PM
On another thread (Marvin Elliott) it's been rumoured that the Spuds will offer us 3mil + Ricketts.

I also saw on another thread (from a poster who said that they know Wayne) that he's not happy that he wasn't offered new terms when we went up. If that's the case then we've rather shot ourselves in the foot here.

Wayne is undoubtedly one of the best players to ever come through the youth at Palace (the sky's the limit for him imho, I still remember his keep-ups at half time when he was in the academy afew years ago) and it would be a loss. But we've signed a Greek international as cover / replacement so that shows how good our manager is.

Would he get into the Spuds team above Davies? I doubt it at the moment, but they are building for the future and Wayne has a great one ahead of him.

Beanie
27-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Pub Idol
A pathetic amount for the best player we have produced since Gareth Southgate.
Perhaps - but with 6 months of a contract left and a tribunal lilely to come up with half of that because of the amount he has played I'd say it's optomistic.

cpfc_spc1982
27-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Ron Dogers
Any comments re Wayne and his Prem performances or swapping him for Spurs journeymen would have (or at least should have) been dead in the water if the subscribers had seen him against lads his own age for the U-20's against Holland.

not really. the under20s is a poor age group.

Jay_Palace
27-10-2004, 12:55 PM
We can't even contemplate selling him in january, IMO.

If we were to sell him during the transfer window and would still be in with a fighting chance of staying up, then we would fatally undermine our chances of staying in the division.

I think this is all rubbish about Wayne not being prepared to sign a new deal because of his agent, because from what I have heard, Palace are yet to offer him terms! How can he be stalling on a new deal when we haven't sat down and discussed a new one with him yet?

A move for Wayne to Spurs would be a disasterous carer move for him, and would cause him irreparable harm. What can Spurs offer him that Palace can't? First team football? Err nope. An inspiring coach? Err nope. A family atmosphere and a comeradery? Err nope again.

I would be kidding myself if I believed that wayne's long term future was with this club, because to be blunt it isn't, but he certainly needs to spend at least another 3 seasons at this club, perfecting his game. After that, we can sell him for around 6 million to a proper big club and it will be a good deal all round for all parties.

However if Wayne decides to jack in what he has at palace for Spurs in the near future, then I will be very disapointed for him, because Spurs will not benefit him.

PeterH
27-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Pub Idol
A pathetic amount for the best player we have produced since Gareth Southgate.

Indeed. But Jules went for nothing. If he wants to go then I suspect this is all we can get for him if Spurs put a bid in. They will wait until they can get him on a tribunal fee otherwise, and that will not be more than 2 million.

Best we can hope for is some good follow up clauses.

PeterH
27-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Lee B
I also saw on another thread (from a poster who said that they know Wayne) that he's not happy that he wasn't offered new terms when we went up. If that's the case then we've rather shot ourselves in the foot here

And that my friends is the rub.

Tommy Pickle
27-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by gold76
Whilst Wayne's an exciting prospect, one of the best home grown talents we've had in years, we've still got the very promising Lakis on hand in case he leaves. Like others on here, I wouldn't be too unhappy if we get Brown or Ricketts in exchange.


The very promising Lakis is in his 30s (i think) and the very promising Routledge is 19.

Jay_Palace
27-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Pickle
The very promising Lakis is in his 30s (i think) and the very promising Routledge is 19.

I was sure that he was around 26, but don't quote me on that.

Luke the Pirate
27-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
I was sure that he was around 26, but don't quote me on that.

Too late, just did.

Tommy Pickle
27-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
I was sure that he was around 26, but don't quote me on that.

28 - sorry. Dunno where i got 30 from?!?

BIG DAVE
27-10-2004, 01:31 PM
I think if Wayne were to leave, it would be in our best interest for him to leave in the summer. He would be a main part of our first team for us staying up which, which if we did stay up would be worth more than 2M if we sold him.

If he leaves in the summer I doubt we would even get 1M. But I would rather he stayed and we stayed up and then he left for nowt, then him leave now.

Les Butler
27-10-2004, 01:40 PM
As I said on another thread my brother talked to Waynes mum (she cleans where he works) and she said he is gone in Jan no doubt.

Hey but things change ,you never know.

Jay_Palace
27-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Les Butler
As I said on another thread my brother talked to Waynes mum (she cleans where he works) and she said he is gone in Jan no doubt.

Hey but things change ,you never know.

He can't go unless we agre to sell him though, can you imagine ID cashing in our chances of styaying up, just to involve a repeat of the Gray incident?

As much as I hate to say it, I would rather he walked for free in the summer and we stayed up, rather than us selling for 3 million in Jan and going down.

Selling him in the transfer window will not benefot Palace in the slightest.

eddieskyclad
27-10-2004, 01:45 PM
The end of the day if we pay him a large enough wage with a big fat signing on fee he'll stay. Chances are we won't.

The coverage on SSN sounds like he's on his way and that we're looking to pimp him out to other clubs in search for the biggest fee.

Gooders
27-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Alarming echoes of the Julian Gray situation (from all sides). :(

bigee
27-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Lets try and look at this from WRs point of view,a virtual everpresent since ID took over,current young player of the year,on the verge of U21s,top assists in Prem,and yet he has seen lots of new players arrive (ie,new deals) and most of the old squad having their contracts renegotiated meanwhile the club have yet to even speak to him!He must be asking himself 'why not me' and possibly do the club want him to stay?or are THEY looking to cash in on me!

eddieskyclad
27-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by bigee
Lets try and look at this from WRs point of view,a virtual everpresent since ID took over,current young player of the year,on the verge of U21s,top assists in Prem,and yet he has seen lots of new players arrive (ie,new deals) and most of the old squad having their contracts renegotiated meanwhile the club have yet to even speak to him!He must be asking himself 'why not me' and possibly do the club want him to stay?or are THEY looking to cash in on me! According to SSN Wayne has stalled on signing a new contract.

bigee
27-10-2004, 05:47 PM
I will say this only once.......WR has not been offered a new deal.

eddieskyclad
27-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by bigee
I will say this only once.......WR has not been offered a new deal. Well if that's true we won't even be able to get a fee for him should he leave after his contract expires. Since if the club does not offer a reasonable contract extension a player may move clubs for free regardless of age.

nottsunieagle
27-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by eddieskyclad
Well if that's true we won't even be able to get a fee for him should he leave after his contract expires. Since if the club does not offer a reasonable contract extension a player may move clubs for free regardless of age.

that is true but the FA themselves set a precedent with bellion. sunderland didnt offer him a deal, he went to manure, the mackems complained to the FA about a lack of a fee and they got 2million out of united.

he will get offered a new deal, but i agree with jay_palace - i'd rather he go for nothing at the end of the season and we stay up. no one player is bigger than the club.

pedro
27-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by nottsunieagle
no one player is bigger than the club.
Unless his name is Andrew Johnson ! :D

cooper83
27-10-2004, 07:40 PM
It would be a great shame to lose him - not only for us, but also for him. I believe that a move to Spurs will do his career severe damage. Let us not forget that for all his skill and flair, Wayne can still be incredibly frustrating to watch. To an extent he gets away with it here because we know what he's capable of and we view him as one of our own. However, WHL will be a far less forgiving place and Spurs fans in particular will expect the skill that they see in edited highlights in every match. As we well know, that ain't gonna happen. For 3 mill (going on the alleged bid), they will expect a level of consistency and maturity that I don't belive Wayne is capable of providing just yet. What can he lose by staying? Not much, but then I doubt his sodding agent will see it the same way. I fear for him if he goes now and I'm confident that Dowie will make this apparent in no uncertain terms.

Funk Butter
27-10-2004, 11:33 PM
What about if Wayne goes to Spurs in January, we go back after Kily Gonzalez. He ain't getting a whiff of even the bench at Inter and even if we get him on loan for the 2nd half of the season, he will probably provide more than Wayne in the fight to stay up. (And maybe Sorondo and Ventola will be able to butter him up about the club, as well) Whether we go after a permanent move in the summer if we do stay up or get a cheaper option, we can get lots of use out of Kily.

TheCharmer
28-10-2004, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Funk Butter
What about if Wayne goes to Spurs in January, we go back after Kily Gonzalez. He ain't getting a whiff of even the bench at Inter and even if we get him on loan for the 2nd half of the season, he will probably provide more than Wayne in the fight to stay up. (And maybe Sorondo and Ventola will be able to butter him up about the club, as well) Whether we go after a permanent move in the summer if we do stay up or get a cheaper option, we can get lots of use out of Kily.

Kily plays on the left, Wayne on the right?

Luke Harwood
28-10-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by TheCharmer
Kily plays on the left, Wayne on the right?

Kolkka is right footed so I imagine he would be shipped off to the right wing and Kily would be brought in on the left - assuming Wayne leaves.

Gooders
28-10-2004, 06:45 AM
Er, Lakis?

sydney eagle
28-10-2004, 07:02 AM
I can't see how it will benefit wayne by going to Spurs in January.If we get relegated (which we wont) then i can obviously see him wanting to move on in the summer but what would be the point of going to Spurs mid season to probably sit his arse on the bench or in the reseves.I can't see him getting in their midfield right away.Surely a full season here at Palace will not only be good for him playing a complete premier league season but may also lift his value because the kid is talented and an extra half season will show that more and more.

Palace Don
28-10-2004, 07:22 AM
If he goes good luck to him. He is a great prospect, but still has loads to learn. I think Lakis would be a good replacement IMO, and although i would hate to see WR go from Palace, there isnt much you can do if he wants to. His agent is a scumbag, and will be doing everything to get him out of Palace and make himself (the agent) some money.

We will survive if he goes, and might be better for it. I actually think Lakis is a great prospect. Saying this, I would love it if he were offered a new deal and stayed at Palace. I certainly wouldnt got o Spurs either. They are playing their wing backs as FULL backs at the moment. Boring boring Spurs

Beanie
28-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by eddieskyclad
Well if that's true we won't even be able to get a fee for him should he leave after his contract expires. Since if the club does not offer a reasonable contract extension a player may move clubs for free regardless of age.
There's 8 months until June - no doubt Wayne will be offered a deal well before then, in fact I'd say it's pretty sure he'll be offered one before the window opens. No need to panic yet. Can't see that offering the deal early make him any more or less likely to sign. In fact I'd say it will have worked in his favour - having done reasonably well in the Premeirship I'd expect the offer to be better than it might have been before the season started.

eagles #1
28-10-2004, 10:12 AM
If Wayne goes anywhere, it wouldnt suprise me that he'll join his mate Julian at Brum.

honeysuckle
28-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Sadly history suggests that Routledge will join the exodus of talented players to leave Palace. We just don't seem to be able to break the cycle. He'll go to Spurs as did Chris Armstrong and Peter Taylor before him.

I do think though he should wait until the end of the season. He's not been one of our better players this season and is still learning. He may not reach his potential if he moves away from the nuturing environment of Selhurst.

Fat Andy
28-10-2004, 11:27 AM
As a few others have said, I would prefer to see WR leave at the end of the season on a free rather than lose him in January, if we are to stay up WR will play an important role in this, and 2 million will mean nothing if we go down....

The worrying thing is that I feel Lakis was bought as a ready made replacement for him.

GreatGonzo
28-10-2004, 11:35 AM
From what i understand, becausewe have not offered him a new contract Wayne does not believe Palace want him to stay.

He is aparently upset and frustrated by the whole situation, however i am hearing more positive noises about he might sign if offered - a few months ago there was no way he would sign even if offered a new contract.

TommyEagle
28-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
From what i understand, becausewe have not offered him a new contract Wayne does not believe Palace want him to stay.

He is aparently upset and frustrated by the whole situation, however i am hearing more positive noises about he might sign if offered - a few months ago there was no way he would sign even if offered a new contract.

Interesting. So why is there a delay in offering him a new deal?

Jay_Palace
28-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by TommyEagle
Interesting. So why is there a delay in offering him a new deal?

The club are working on it as we speak, I'm sure of it.

Thwere is not a hope in hell that Jordan and Dowie will sit on their hands and let our best young prospect walk away, without us doing something to keep him at the club.

I must admit though, that it is extremely puzzling that we haven't offered him new terms up to this point, but there surely must be a reason behind this. It just wouldn't make sense otherwise.

I have no doubts in my mind that wayne wants to stay at Palace. He is a local boy and Dowie has brought him on as a player 100% since he came to the club. He is really a part of something special at this club, and he would have to go one hell of A long way to be able to match that at another club. He seems to have his head firmly attached to his shoulders, and will realise that his immediate [though not long term future] lies with CPFC.

Funk Butter
28-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by TheCharmer
Kily plays on the left, Wayne on the right?
Well between the Copa America and the Olympics, I'm pretty sure I saw Kily playing all across the midfield. But as was said, Kolkka could move to the right if needed. Just trying to fashion some possibilities for what would happen if Wayne left.

glaziers fan
28-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by TommyEagle
Interesting. So why is there a delay in offering him a new deal?

Great Gonzo answered the question for you when he said something like

"a few months ago wayne would NOT sign a new contract even if it was offered. Now he might sign."

This is an improvement and we should sign him up now, on the back of beating Charlton with our reserves at the valley before he changes his mind again! (Not that I think we will lose vs B'ham.)

LLCOOLSTEVE
28-10-2004, 07:28 PM
He will walk if he isnt offered a contract.

c_block_lad
28-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Wayne is off regardless if he his offered a contract or not.

Sounds like good spin from noises within the Roultedge camp.

bigee
28-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Anyone care to speculate why(presuming its true)the club have not spoken to/offered WR a new deal as of yet,ie well into the season and also to the end of his current contract?

Gooders
28-10-2004, 07:43 PM
As an extremely promising youngster in the final year of his contract, it seems to me that there can be only one reason that he hasn't been offered a contract.

He is going; the club knows he's going: therefore there is little point doubling or trebling his wages whilst he's still here.

kolinkins
28-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
He will walk if he isnt offered a contract.

He cant.

kolinkins
28-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Wayne is off regardless if he his offered a contract or not.

Sounds like good spin from noises within the Roultedge camp.

People that know Wayne say the opposite.

c_block_lad
28-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
People that know Wayne say the opposite.

Half and Half.

I aint one to make bullshit lies up, but from what I have heard from people close to Wayne, he will be leaving regardless if he is offered a new contract.

I hope I am wrong, I really do, Wayne is a fantastic talent, but sadly I am almost certain Wayne will be off come May or even earlier.

:sob:

bigee
28-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Chicken and egg spring to mind,was it WR that decided to leave or the club somehow knowing he was going to?Either way surely last season WR would have signed a new deal if it was offered,why did SJ/ID not forsee this current situation happening?WR was obviously highly thought of last season and yet nothing was done!!

El Aguila
28-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by bigee
Chicken and egg spring to mind,was it WR that decided to leave or the club somehow knowing he was going to?Either way surely last season WR would have signed a new deal if it was offered,why did SJ/ID not forsee this current situation happening?WR was obviously highly thought of last season and yet nothing was done!!
Ah! bigee...."For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been'."
I fear Palace are guilty of "Letting 'I dare not' wait upon 'I would,'
Like the poor cat i' th' adage".

bigee
28-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Yes indeed,for if WR does leave us it will most certainly be a case of 'What' it might have been........

LLCOOLSTEVE
28-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
He cant.

I was quoting a family member of his :)

kolinkins
28-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
I was quoting a family member of his :)

How can he walk when he is under 24? Surely we can do what we did with Gray, except this time for another 4 years.

Ian Hart
29-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by kolinkins
How can he walk when he is under 24? Surely we can do what we did with Gray, except this time for another 4 years.

I'd love to be able to agree with you. But sadly, I think you've got it wrong. He can walk. But because he's under 24 (as you quite correctly imply) anyone who takes him would either have to agree a fee with Palace or let a Tribunal decide on a fee.

Technically, the position is, as you say, the same as it was with Gray. But in reality I feel it's very different. At the time when Gray tried to walk away, at the end of the season before last, he'd been in and out of a mediocre team, and although he clearly felt he could attract someone to sign him, his CV wasn't that impressive. The calculation a tribunal would have employed might have lead to a fee around 750k, and his form the previous season (and presumably at each club where he had a trial) simply wasn't good enough for teams to wish to gamble that sort of sum on him. Palace had made it clear that if any team wished to sign him direct, they wanted close to the fee he might attract at a tribunal, so in the end he couldn't find a club.

But with Routledge the situation is that everyone knows his talent and his potential, and I suspect some clubs would be prepared to match the sort of sum a tribunal might impose (which is likely to be quite high, in view of his international appearances and the fact that we've brought him through from schoolboy level).

Bartman
29-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Skilful, tricky, quick, bright, class, ........................but young and thick. If his agent is any good it won't be hard to twist his arm to go to a bigger club and warm the bench.

As long as he doesn't go too early and waste his talent before it's developed I couldn't care less.

orpington pisshead
29-10-2004, 07:17 AM
maybe we are waiting till jan to offer him a new contract because by then dowie can say to him "look at the new players here wayne, stay for a few more yrs and grow in this emerging team". the money offerd to wayne should only be betterd by aj as these two are the future of the club not saying that others dont deserve better contracts at end of season.

Dave
29-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by kolinkins
How can he walk when he is under 24? Surely we can do what we did with Gray, except this time for another 4 years. Not if he hasn't been offered a new contract. Obviously this isn't a problem as you are convinced he has been offered on already (http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92088) :rolleyes:

CPFC Town
29-10-2004, 08:01 AM
If WR leaves i cannot honestly see him getting first team football with another lcub. He will rot on a subs bench. Everyone knows he a bright young talent on a steep learnign curve but i dunt know if he was to go to them that Santini would want to play him due to his age etc

All our young hot prospects seem to leave early these days! At least if he goes we will get some

Come on Jordon sign him up :D

Tommy Pickle
29-10-2004, 09:40 AM
ID wants him to stay and i reckon hes got it in him to get Wayne to sign a new contract.

Gooders
29-10-2004, 10:14 AM
He wanted Julian to stay too, but didn't get anywhere on that front - despite our promotion.

AJ
29-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
He wanted Julian to stay too, but didn't get anywhere on that front - despite our promotion.

IMHO Gray felt betrayed by Palace(at least SJ) and the fact he tried very hard to find another club last summer showed he was ready to move on. Remember, Gray had reportedly said way back when he signed for Palace, that he saw the move as a stepping stone.

I think the key to Wayne staying will be the clubs position in January. If the club are looking strong, he may sign, if the club is in the relegation zone and losing....well.

The big question is, should Palace keep Routledge no matter what in Jan or sell him?
After all Gray did a fantastic job for Palace, although, he knew he was leaving.

adrenalin john
29-10-2004, 10:26 AM
He hasn't been offered a new contract because he doesn't need to be. Ie he can't do a bosman due to his age and history at Palace.

Great player and would love to see him stay and has made a aluable contribution to our club. However does he see the contribution the club and coach and managers have made to him.

Palace121
29-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by TommyEagle
Interesting. So why is there a delay in offering him a new deal?

A money thing. I expect SJ wanted to keep him on as low wages as possible for as long as possible.:hmph:

Gooders
29-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by AJ

After all Gray did a fantastic job for Palace, although, he knew he was leaving.

Gray eventually did a good job for Palace, after 2 years of appearing to not give a toss. How much of that was down to him wanting to put himself in the shop window is open to debate I feel.

He didn't like the club and he had no respect for the fans (because a minority had given him gyp).

There the parallels with young Wayne end, thankfully. He may or may not see his future with Palace, but at least he does his best every week.

GreatGonzo
29-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Bartman
Skilful, tricky, quick, bright, class, ........................but young and thick. If his agent is any good it won't be hard to twist his arm to go to a bigger club and warm the bench.

Same agent as Wayne Rooney i believe, if that answers your question.

Bellion went to tribunal when Utd took him from Sunderland -tribunal decided he was worth 2m.

They would be likely i would have thought to value Wayne at 3-4m under those circumstances.

I still believe so far Wane has struggles a little bit this season, he is still learning the premiership game and has not yet done that. He would do better to stay that is for sure.

TN16_Eagle
29-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Swap him for Sicknote! ;)

Is Anderton still at Spurs?

Luke Harwood
29-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Brum I believe.

gilberts knife
29-10-2004, 11:23 AM
dont all jump down my throats but i do think wayne is overated and his
end product is too many times poor,he has no better teacher than dowie,so if he wants to go he is in it for money and i would take 4m with a smile

davematt
29-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Luke Harwood
Brum I believe.

If he left us for Brum then he has no ambition. Football is not about playing with your friends, in this case Julian. If he went to Tottenham at least he would be going their for his own good, not going to Brum with his bum chum.

BUNGLE
29-10-2004, 12:32 PM
A spurs fan I know seems to think there getting SWP in january as well so Routledge definetly wouldn't been in the first team. Though I can't see Man City selling SWP.

Stellavista
29-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
A spurs fan I know seems to think there getting SWP in january as well so Routledge definetly wouldn't been in the first team. Though I can't see Man City selling SWP.

I would have thought his dad might have something to say about that!

Dave
29-10-2004, 03:35 PM
They would be likely i would have thought to value Wayne at 3-4m under those circumstances.
4m? WTF?

Beanie
29-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by adrenalin john
He hasn't been offered a new contract because he doesn't need to be. Ie he can't do a bosman due to his age and history at Palace.
Not sure about that. The age limit on the Bosman was a compromise with the EU who wanted every player to be free to walk at the end of his contract. The U23 bit was put in to protect small clubs who often spend years developing a player (much longer than a normal employer who wouldn't get them until they left school) from getting that player whipped by a big club who get all the benefit for no cost (hence the tribunal who have to work out the cost/benefit balance in setting compensation). The EU said, however, that if the employer did not offer the employee a new deal at least equal to the old one then the employee - whatever his age - could walk at the end of the deal. The fact that no new deal had been offered was taken as admission that the club no wanted the player, effectively releasing him, just as any other employee on a fixed term contract in any other business can. There really is no other angle - if a contract has expired and a new one not offered there can be no basis for the players continued employment.

TommyEagle
29-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Not sure about that. The age limit on the Bosman was a compromise with the EU who wanted every player to be free to walk at the end of his contract. The U23 bit was put in to protect small clubs who often spend years developing a player (much longer than a normal employer who wouldn't get them until they left school) from getting that player whipped by a big club who get all the benefit for no cost (hence the tribunal who have to work out the cost/benefit balance in setting compensation). The EU said, however, that if the employer did not offer the employee a new deal at least equal to the old one then the employee - whatever his age - could walk at the end of the deal. The fact that no new deal had been offered was taken as admission that the club no wanted the player, effectively releasing him, just as any other employee on a fixed term contract in any other business can. There really is no other angle - if a contract has expired and a new one not offered there can be no basis for the players continued employment.

This will ultimately prove academic though as surely Wayne will be offered a new contract. I really don't understand why it hasn't been done already.

Ian Dowie
29-10-2004, 04:32 PM
I SAY LET HIM LEAVE... WHY DO WE WANT HIM.. LET HIM GO TO SPURS AND PLAY RESERVE TEAM FOOTBALL FOR TH ENEXT COUPLE OF YEARS...

JESUS CHRIST.. IF HE DON'T WANNA STAY IT MEANS HIS HEART ISN'T WITH THE PALACE.. REPLACE HIM WITH SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO WEAR THE SHIRT! I SAY TAKE THE 2/3MILL

pedro
29-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Swop for Carrick might be interesting.

Gooders
29-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Do we need a Carrick-like player any more?

We've got Ben Watson. :)

nomad
30-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Bartman
Skilful, tricky, quick, bright, class, ........................but young and thick. If his agent is any good it won't be hard to twist his arm to go to a bigger club and warm the bench.

As long as he doesn't go too early and waste his talent before it's developed I couldn't care less.

His agent is Stretford who is a very dodgy character. More fool Wayne if he stays with him. If he has the same attitude as Gray, then p**s off. If he reallu wants to play for Palace, then please stay.