PDA

View Full Version : Replacements for Popovic?

Icarus
30-10-2004, 12:06 PM
So far there have been a few names branded about and murmurings about the replacement of Pops. In all honesty just 10 mins into the Birmingham game and I'm nervous when he has the ball. I think a replacement needs to be blooded into the team now I still say Dean Richards though at the moment I'd be happy to see anyone (wel within reason) partnering Hall. Bottom line is that Pops just isn't up to it!

BUNGLE
30-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Think Granville will be replaced before Pops is, thankfully.

MikeyDread
30-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Suppose there is no chance of swapping him with Sol Campbell ;-)

Dave
30-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Lets get behind the team that spent *TEN* times less than the opposition in the summer and who are also and ESTABLISHED premier league side.

JamieBcpfc
30-10-2004, 12:55 PM
No way, even if Popo is dropped we have Sorondo, Hudson and Powell

budgie
30-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by JamieBcpfc
No way, even if Popo is dropped we have Sorondo, Hudson and Powell

Agreed. I think in Sorondo, Hudson and Powell we have very capable replacements. In fact, I would probably prefer them all to Popovic which is no disrespect to Pops.

Holmesdale Boy
30-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
Think Granville will be replaced before Pops is, thankfully.

Dont know if we have ben watching different Danny Granvilles, but from my view he has looked pretty solid and does his work getting up the line.

andy m
30-10-2004, 02:49 PM
After seeing Sorondo and Hudson play against Charlton I have no worries about either of them coming into the side if needed, and would probably put them both above Pops, but then see no reason to change a winning side unless necessary.

stwilley
30-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Everytime I watch Sorondo I think he is the best player to play alonside one size. After todays performance against Brum I am in no doubt.

:p Sign him permanently Iain, the man is an animal.:o

Shipp Ahoy!
30-10-2004, 02:57 PM
SORONDO :lux:

Him and Hall at the back is a superb defence! :p

EagleinOz
30-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Yeah I'd like to see Hall and Sorondo start together. Though Sorondo did give away a silly free kick in a dangerous area earlier. I just think Pops, much as I like him, is a fackin liability!

Clapham Grand
30-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Icarus' agenda against Popovic continues

Shipp Ahoy!
30-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Sorry but I have to agree, I still don't and never have rated Popo as a Premiership player.

gold76
30-10-2004, 03:33 PM
I thought Popovic was playing alright today until his injury.

welshneil
30-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Lets get behind the team that spent *TEN* times less than the opposition in the summer and who are also and ESTABLISHED premier league side.

Here here, Pops isn't the quickest player but he has settled down and I like the way he just wants to get the ball away. Come on we do have a pretty impressive defensive record so if it's not broken don't fix it!

Henfield Eagle
30-10-2004, 04:03 PM
POPA is Ok

KungFuCharlie
30-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Pops is fine. Granville is tops of my 'replace' list.

But then if it ain't broke...

PalaceMonkey
30-10-2004, 05:05 PM
granville gives his all and his playing at 100% of his game at the moment.

BUT he's not quick enough, I would replace him b4 popa

Oliver V
30-10-2004, 05:09 PM

Pistike
30-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by budgie
Agreed. I think in Sorondo, Hudson and Powell we have very capable replacements. In fact, I would probably prefer them all to Popovic which is no disrespect to Pops.

Without wishing to appear rude why don't you go f*** yourself!

Pistike
30-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Don't believe we just kept our third clean sheet to win away from home and people want to change the team. If Popovics is fit he plays you stupid arsed morons!

JFBeagle
30-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by KungFuCharlie
Pops is fine. Granville is tops of my 'replace' list.

But then if it ain't broke...

I wouldn't replace either, unless we buy someone better. I think they are both showing how well suited they are to the Premiership, and with so many half backs there is competition. If he's still crocked nest week who plays in Pop's place. Hudson or Sorondo?

AJ
30-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Pistike
Don't believe we just kept our third clean sheet to win away from home and people want to change the team. If Popovics is fit he plays you stupid arsed morons!

Although, I would have phrased it differently I totally agree with you.

PalaceMonkey
30-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by JFBeagle
I wouldn't replace either, unless we buy someone better.

sorry to sound stupid, but why would we sign someone worse?

daz_eagle
30-10-2004, 05:21 PM
poppo's alright. sorondo looks more than an adequate replacement.

shortbutsound
30-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Leave the team, its winning. I agree there is no harm in looking, ready for January. Although Hudson is pretty solid.

Al From Bromley
30-10-2004, 05:31 PM
I hate moronic threads like this. We've just won away from home against an established premiership side who have spent a packet more money than us AND kept a clean sheet and people are asking questions of Popovic and Granville. Unbelievable!

PalaceMonkey
30-10-2004, 05:36 PM
it's not moronic, just because we won doesn't mean that DG had a good game. He often looked outstretched by Gronkjear (sp), just because Gronk can't cross v well doesn't mean DG should be the 1st on the team sheet

Icarus
30-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Can't you see we are riding our luck, last week Earnshaw was dire a half-decent striker would have put a few of those chances away and today let me say 'I AM THANKFUL' Pops got injured as Sorondo came on and I could watch the game a bit easier. I know this sounds personal it isn't Pops is just out of his depth at this level and the sooner Sorondo, Hudson, et al get a run in the side we'l do alright.

P.S. I love the Palace and wouldn't have it any other way and we're definately staying up Rodney m-ARS-h!

jolly_jallopee
30-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Well ID saw fit to make pops the captain, so maybe he offers more than just skills, but as a stabilizing factor.

75points
30-10-2004, 07:41 PM
had Pops stayed onto today we may well have conceded. Pop was again very shaky - not commanding in the air ,not sure footed and
not always clean in his clearance. He's still got a role in the club but currently Sorondo looks more accomplished.

hernehilleagle
30-10-2004, 07:51 PM
I thought Sorondo looked very good today - and I still rate Hudson

Ruskin Old Boy
30-10-2004, 07:55 PM

Normally I would agree with the sentiment expressed here though might not sign up to the language but it's Saturday night. Beats me why anyone would want to change the team (except when ID decides it needs to be changed). So go for it Pistike - nail them stupid arsed morons:p

wedgetail
30-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Don't believe we just kept our third clean sheet to win away from home and people want to change the team..........
bump

Farawayeagle
31-10-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by gold76
I thought Popovic was playing alright today until his injury.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank God somebody was watching the same game as me.

Sure he made some mistakes --- but all defenders do.
That's often why we have goals in football!! Hall made mistakes, Sorondo made mistakes, Granville too ---- shall we drop them all and look for the perfect robot defender??

I just watched 3 complete games today (actually between 9.45PM and 4a.m Oz time) Palace vs. Brum -- Portmouth vs Man Utd and Blackburn vs Liverpool.

I saw Ferdninand, Heinze, Silvestre, Hyypia and a few others make defensive mistakes -- I saw Rooney give the ball away stupidly on a number of occassions. So are they all ---- not good enough for the Premiership?

What is this nonsense. We've had 3 clean sheets with Popovic in the defence. Let's just be happy we are winning and also that we have in fact got Hudson, Popovic, Hall, Powell and Sorondo as central defender cover.

Popovic has soldiered through what could have been the confidence shattering experience of scoring two own goals, as the team sunk to the bottom of the table -- that says something about the man -- his character -- and why Dowie has chosen him as Captain.

With due respect Icarus -- I'll go with Dowie's opinion over yours. He works with Popovic every day. So he knows if he can handle the Premiership or not. If he had a doubt he would have replaced him with one of the other central defenders we have.

He hasn't. Nuff said!! :p :p

Gollum
31-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Pops is a perfectly adequate defender and deserves his place both as a player and captain. The nearest challenger to his place is probably Sorondo although I have a sneaking suspicion that Boyce may move to the centre in time and provide additional pace alongside Hall.
I do find it surprising how many of you rate Hudson. Sure he was adequate last season in the Champ league (although remember the penalties conceded) but he now has to reach a new level and his chronic lack of pace suggests he'll struggle. A decent reserve but not much more.

Bearzer
31-10-2004, 01:03 AM
I am going to defend Pops here. I don't think he did that well in the scrap that is 1st Division football, but I have seen him at international level on a few occassions and think he has done very well. In particular, I have seen him shackle Beattie and Benni McCarthy extremely well.

The Premiership is a totally different kettle of fish and he is taking a little time adjusting just like everyone in the squad has. Please remember that we have 3 or 4 ball playing centre backs compared to many teams' none! This is the type of centre back that will prosper individually and collectively at this level. So let's get off Pop's back shall we?

Despite the fact that we rode our luck a bit today, I think 2 goals conceeded from the last 5 leagues game says an awful lot!!!!

OneSize
31-10-2004, 08:44 AM
I think popovic has done ok for us and there isnt much need to replace him yet...although, if there is another Fitz Hall out there, we should go for him :D

Icarus
31-10-2004, 02:33 PM
When are you guys going to learn sentiment will not win games, it is clear as ice that Pops is struggling at this level, yeah maybe ID sees more to Pop's game maybe for his leadership qualities, however on the pitch his control, reading of the game and all round play must have ID biting his nails down to his knuckles. I know the philosophy of 'if it ain't broke, dont fix it', though we must be pro-active in wanting to improve the quality of the team if that is at the expense of the captain -so be it!

BUNGLE
31-10-2004, 07:13 PM
I personaly don't see many problems with Popovics defending, his just probably got more to do as he has to cover for a constantly out of position and below average granville... :)

Farawayeagle
31-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Icarus
When are you guys going to learn sentiment will not win games, it is clear as ice that Pops is struggling at this level, yeah maybe ID sees more to Pop's game maybe for his leadership qualities, however on the pitch his control, reading of the game and all round play must have ID biting his nails down to his knuckles. I know the philosophy of 'if it ain't broke, dont fix it', though we must be pro-active in wanting to improve the quality of the team if that is at the expense of the captain -so be it!

--------------------

I just watched the Brum game again. Paying special attention to Popovic -- on and off the ball. What I saw was a defender marshalling the defence well and making life as difficult for Heskey as possible. I didn't see him struggle at this level -- his reading of the game was pretty good. His support for other defenders was good.
Yeah -- Heskey won a few headers -- but most attackers of his size will against any defender.

I don't know what your problem is Icarus. Sentiment doesn't come into my opinion (and before anyone says anything, I'm not Aussie -- I'm just living here) -- all I've heard from Dowie is praise for Popovic. It seems that some people are still hankering after tinkering with the team.

We struggled as a team --- at the beginning of the season -- to handle the premier level. Now Dowie has a system that is working and a group of players he's comfortable with -- you want him to remove part of the successful formula.

Again with due respect. -- I'm really glad I don't work for a company you are managing.

You seem to be in the minority with your thinking --- which is fine. But it should tell you that maybe you're being too critical, and watching Popovic -- expecting him to struggle. I don't know. But your opinion baffles me. :p

Hang the D J
31-10-2004, 09:36 PM
I thought Popovic, Granville and Aki were the three certain players who would find the step up to this level too much. how wrong I was.

Popovic and Hall have been superb in recent weeks (one lapse of concentration on half time at Bolton aside our defence has not been breached for 360 minutes of Premiership football), although it has to be said that Sorondo is pushing very hard to break into the starting X1. However, just as with Boyce/Butterfield, no-one can be dropped at the moment.

Enfield eagle
31-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Pop looked very shakey against everton, chelsea, boro (own goal), awful at pompey. Good at norwich, not seen rest - run out of money.

Anyway, is there any point getting someone that takes 6 months to gel and in the meantime, damaging our defensive understanding. As long as Gabor stays and keeps playing, we'll stay up anyway.

Sussex Eagle
31-10-2004, 10:52 PM
I've been a fan of Tony P since day one, and I think he's still worth his place in the side (for all the criticism of him by a vocal minority, the defender who looked 'out of his depth' this season for us was undoubtably Mark Hudson imo) - however, I stick by my little theory that it will be Hall and Leigertwood in the centre back slots by the end of the season - he's got something about him that one.

Sussex Eagle
31-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
I hate moronic threads like this. We've just won away from home against an established premiership side who have spent a packet more money than us AND kept a clean sheet and people are asking questions of Popovic and Granville. Unbelievable!

*Cough, Cough* - so says the creator of a certain 'fancy dan' thread. Gotta agree though - am I missing something or wasn't Granville one of the best players on the pitch yesterday?

Marshall
31-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Just look how many goals we have let in recently....Pops cant be doing to much wrong...and hes stopped scoring them which is good.

NZsparky
31-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
*Cough, Cough* - so says the creator of a certain 'fancy dan' thread. Gotta agree though - am I missing something or wasn't Granville one of the best players on the pitch yesterday?
Blinkers

arussell
01-11-2004, 12:10 AM
So far there have been a few names branded about and murmurings about the replacement of Pops. In all honesty just 10 mins into the Birmingham game and I'm nervous when he has the ball. I think a replacement needs to be blooded into the team now I still say Dean Richards though at the moment I'd be happy to see anyone (wel within reason) partnering Hall. Bottom line is that Pops just isn't up to it!

Dean Richards is no better than Popovic.

Palace should start with Hall and Hudson.

TheCharmer
01-11-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by arussell
Dean Richards is no better than Popovic.

Palace should start with Hall and Hudson.

I agree that we shouldn't change a winning team. Sorondo is pushing hardest for a place at the back, but Poppo will play if fit. Don't understand the fixation with Hudson, an alright squad player but lacking in pace and we ve played better without him in the team.

Gronkjaer was the most fouled player last year in the Premiership, and there s a reason for that, he s a handful. Granville and Boyce both did ok against him.

GanbareWashi
01-11-2004, 07:26 AM
Pops is not as good as some of the centre backs in the Premiership, but he is still very solid. He is also playing well with Hall and the more they play together the stronger they will get. We are on a great run, so let's support the lads ffs all of them.

Richwak
01-11-2004, 10:59 AM
popo is our captain, he is solid, he is a lej

Icarus
02-11-2004, 08:15 AM
1, I am a Palace fan through and through

2, This is not personal against Pops

3, I am for the betterment of Palace

4, Pops is struggling at this level

5, Just be honest and not sentimental

pedro
02-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Here we are looking more likely to survive in the Premiership than at any other time and all I can see are negative threads like 'who is going to replace Popovic', 'who is going to replace Routledge' and 'AJ is on his way'. Why are we always such doom and gloom mercants and to think people have accused me of negative comments in the past!

Cleon
02-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Look, Dowie picks the team. He has so far chosen Popovic for most games, and has made him captain. To me, that's enough. Nothing further to add.

In terms of the squad, I see no point in adding another central defender. We already have Sorondo, Hudson, Powell and Leigterwood to fall back on, and I'd have no concerns about playing two of those, and only marginal concerns about the other two.

With regards Danny Granville, I think he's been doing well. Not spectacular, but for a player that I thought was a complete liability, he's turned himself around. Yes, there are better left backs out there, but again, if Dowie thinks he's good enough, and he continues to perform well, then why should we think to change at the moment? Who, realistically, could we get? First division players who haven't proven it in the Premiership either? Unless Dowie knows of another Boyce (who was so highly rated by Luton that their right-back was twice player of the season), I think we should stick with what we've got. In terms of squad, we have Borrowdale coming through, and he needs to earn the right to be given his chance.

Tommy Pickle
02-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Bearzer
Please remember that we have 3 or 4 ball playing centre backs compared to many teams' none! This is the type of centre back that will prosper individually and collectively at this level. So let's get off Pop's back shall we?

Are you saying that Pops is a ball palying centre back?

Sussex Eagle
02-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by TheCharmer
Gronkjaer was the most fouled player last year in the Premiership, and there s a reason for that, he s a handful. Granville and Boyce both did ok against him.

Also; he's a notorious (and successful) diver.

Tommy Pickle
02-11-2004, 09:44 AM
I've been a fan of Tony P since day one, and I think he's still worth his place in the side (for all the criticism of him by a vocal minority, the defender who looked 'out of his depth' this season for us was undoubtably Mark Hudson imo) - however, I stick by my little theory that it will be Hall and Leigertwood in the centre back slots by the end of the season - he's got something about him that one.

I agree that there is something about Leigertwood. Dont know whether there will be enough time to get him in before the end of the season, but in time he will start for us. IMO he had a great game in c mid against Charlton.

I know what you mean about Hudson, he doesn't seem to have much consistency, but wen he plays well he tends to have a blinder. His game against Chelski was the best i have seen him play. Pops may still be worth his place in the side, but only because we have no one who is a great deal better. IMO Popovic was a worry against Brum, and i felt (a little) more confident with Sorondo at the back

TheCharmer
02-11-2004, 09:49 AM
Also; he's a notorious (and successful) diver.

No doubt about that, and a tosser too, but my point remain s the same Danny G and Boyce did ok against him. Now Reyes and Ljunberg pose a few problems, and there s that bloke Pires too......oh and Henry he drags out wide.....

honeysuckle
02-11-2004, 10:00 AM
This really is all about opinions. Personally I think Popovic has played well and is leading the side well. He has the Aussie desire to win and a Croat toughness. He should stay in the team unless his form deserts him completely.

I am surprised that some people think we need strengthening in the Central defence. We have quality in depth with Sorondo outstanding whenever he appears;One Size who is fast becoming a star of the team; Hudson who last season was one of our best players; Powell who is solid and dependable and the gifted Leigertwood .

The latter lacks confidence and has played in an inhibited manner but when he learns to control his nerves he is going to be a fine player. He is already one of the best pass makers at the club and against Charlton he showed that he can dominate.

I'd say that if the defence needs changing then under th present system Granvile at left back is a concern. he's a right sided player and sometimes looks arkward.

TheCharmer
02-11-2004, 11:38 AM
I'd say that if the defence needs changing then under th present system Granvile at left back is a concern. he's a right sided player and sometimes looks arkward. [/B][/QUOTE]

Eh. Granville s a right sided player? Not from where i m sitting....

Farawayeagle
02-11-2004, 09:57 PM

------------------------

What do you mean sentimental. I don't see anyone being sentimental on here about Popovic. They just think he's doing fine and that we have plenty of centre back cover as it is.

Just to throw in a "left field" idea -- anyone for Sorondo at left back?

Shipp Ahoy!
02-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Look, Dowie picks the team. He has so far chosen Popovic for most games, and has made him captain. To me, that's enough. Nothing further to add.

Ok Ok fair enough.

Lets delete all the threads and posts this could apply to then, in which Dowie has made a decision so thats good enough.

BBS?!?! Where did you go? ;)

kong
02-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Farawayeagle
anyone for Sorondo at left back?

Not for me. Sorondo defends like a monster - he was clouting Heskey all round the pitch at Brum. And was immense at Charlton. IMO he's one of those players who is so suited to his position that it's madness to play him elsewhere. But then I haven't seen him given the chance to cross the ball, run the line etc.

The head says no, the heart says.....no.

In keeping with the thread I'd say....if Popo's out, play Gonzo.

Skid Row
03-11-2004, 12:31 AM
If Popovic is still injured for Arsenal then Sorondo must be given the nod. He just looks so comfortable and relaxed on the ball.

hugosabin
03-11-2004, 07:48 AM
I think a replacement needs to be blooded into the team now I still say Dean Richards

We don't need anybody 'blooded' into the side and certainly not a player as hopeless as that cart horse Dean Richards. We have already had a thread about him and that was just as foolish as this one. Richards was a very good player a few years ago although he has struggled at tottenham and is not young enough to make it a worthwhile purchase.
Look at what options we have got with Sorondo and Hudson before making such ludicrous suggestions.

Icarus
03-11-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
Ok Ok fair enough.

Lets delete all the threads and posts this could apply to then, in which Dowie has made a decision so thats good enough.

BBS?!?! Where did you go? ;)

Very well put Shipp:p

Farawayeagle
03-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
Ok Ok fair enough.

BBS?!?! Where did you go?

----------------------------------------
Very well put Shipp:p

------------------------------

Shipp Ahoy -- BBS is alive and kicking -- that's why Cleon gave his opinion.
Icarus gave his etc --- we don't all have to agree.

You and Icarus seem to want to question Dowie's judgement re: Popovic.

Others don't = healthy discussion and keeps BBS vital.

Dobbo
03-11-2004, 10:49 AM
I noticed Sorondo didn't play for the reserves on Monday - suggested to me that Poppa is not 100% for The Arse. Given Dowie's comments about how well he reads the game, which could be vital against a very fluid & imaginative front line, my guess is that Gonzo plays, which is fine by me :)

Scoot
03-11-2004, 11:06 AM
We are going to need a bit of Speed, guile and composure on Saturday so I have to say that I favour Hall and Sorondo and hope that Boyce continues to impress (he really has been superb considering he was at Luton last year) and that Danny G has one of his better games although I have to admit to being surprised by him this season.

Malakite
03-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Popovic was pure class last season simple as..and although he had a couple of mares early on this season, I feel he is now settling back into the stride of the Premiership, just like the rest of the squad! :p

cpfc_spc1982
03-11-2004, 11:45 AM
gardner is spurs let him leave. pop isnt doing too bad though.

Sick Bucket
03-11-2004, 12:06 PM
I am delighted that we have so much quality at the back now with lots of good/interesting combinations, have to say what Ive seen of Sorondo I think he looks superb and remember he has only just arrived in England so will probably get even better.

Ron Dogers
03-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by kong
Not for me. Sorondo defends like a monster - he was clouting Heskey all round the pitch at Brum. And was immense at Charlton. IMO he's one of those players who is so suited to his position that it's madness to play him elsewhere. But then I haven't seen him given the chance to cross the ball, run the line etc.

The head says no, the heart says.....no.

Poppo was getting bossed about by Hesley, including the follow through that put him out of the game..............Strange as I thought it would be the other way round but true. Sorondo turned that around straight away and blanked out the Brum's only weapon.

KennyB
03-11-2004, 01:04 PM
I rate Pop, but yes he has made a couple of mistakes. And yet (for the first time for years) I believe we have virtually a replacement for every player. To me Sorondo fits that bill.

However, (and this does worry me slightly if Pop is out for a prolonged injury), ID has made Pop captain. This is because he perceives (and I agree) that Pop has more qualities than just an out-and-out defender. It means he reads the game, can muster the defence, can motivate the team and isn't scared to shout/direct/give bollockings where necessary.

That is the bit we might miss out on. Can't really expect Sorondo to do that bit as well. So who could ?

And I do not believe in captains being forwards or even midfielders.

This is the bit that worries me against the Arse on Saturday.

Sires
03-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Bollocks KennyB people have said this before and I shall repeat I get nervous when the ball comes near hi and if any striker burst through and only had one defender to beat before being through on goal Popovic is the defender I would least like to be that last man. I would rather it was Richard Shaw and now that is a strong statement so take it like that

Freddy Kurz
03-11-2004, 05:49 PM

There is well known adage: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". We have an excellent manager, Iain Dowie, who I seem to recall did a fairly satisfact-
ory job last season in taking us from 3rd bottom in the First Division to
the Premier League in just over 5 months, has since then assembled a
team for next to nothing which is now beginning to hold its own in that
League, whose Reserves beat Charlton first team away in the League
Cup and is paid to pick the team for Crystal Palace in each game.
When you, Icarus, can put something like the above-mentioned achieve-
ments on your CV then some people on BBS may have a mind to take your advice. In the mean time most Palace fans will continue to
be guided by our manager's team-selections and not yours.
If you care to make a study of successful football teams, you will find
that those which tend to make the fewest team changes in a season
usually end up winning most matches and trophies. This is a
known historical fact.
Popovic has proved that he is not only one of the most consistent
centre-backs Palace have had since the days of Thorn and Young,
he also provides vital international experience and has excellent
leadership qualities. Palace's defence has usually tended to under-perform when he is missing from our line-up. A few weeks ago
after he had done the round-trip from Britain to Australia and back to play for his country v the Solomon Islands, I was amused to note
one BBSer calling him for him to be dropped, without taking into
account the physical and mental demands such a journey would
place on any player. He quickly returned to his best form in the
very next game v WBA.
Fortunately we now have good back-up for Popovic in Sorondo, but
it would be inavisable to tinker with our present team unless we
really have to.

Tommy Pickle
03-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by KennyB
I rate Pop, but yes he has made a couple of mistakes. And yet (for the first time for years) I believe we have virtually a replacement for every player. To me Sorondo fits that bill.

However, (and this does worry me slightly if Pop is out for a prolonged injury), ID has made Pop captain. This is because he perceives (and I agree) that Pop has more qualities than just an out-and-out defender. It means he reads the game, can muster the defence, can motivate the team and isn't scared to shout/direct/give bollockings where necessary.

That is the bit we might miss out on. Can't really expect Sorondo to do that bit as well. So who could ?

And I do not believe in captains being forwards or even midfielders.

This is the bit that worries me against the Arse on Saturday.

Wen Pops went off injured the defence did ok. I was worried too that there would be no leader. We played a bit too deep for my liking, but the organisation was still there. We still played the offside trap on a number of their free kicks. I'm not so sure that we will miss Pops leadership qualities as much as you think. My main concern is that although Sorondo looks very composed and strong, he is also very slow. Pops aint exactly to quick off the mark either.

Icarus
03-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz

ments on your CV then some people on BBS may have a mind to take your advice. In the mean time most Palace fans will continue to

I am not questioning ID's tactics at all. I really thought the BBS was about generating discussion- You dont have to agree with me if not come back with valid points and in that way we can generate discussions about our common interest CPFC - Deal?

KennyB
04-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, Mr Sires, all I am saying is if Sorondo takes Pop's place (no problems there) who is the captain? ID obviously sees Pop as captain material (for the reasons I list above).

That's all. (And he isn't that bad!)

LP
04-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Fitz Hall has clearly made one centre back berth his own, who partners him is always going to lead to some debate. Personally I feel that Popovic is shakey at this level, for me he lacks the pace. presence and composure and we have better options. I have a lot of time for Poppo, but you have to forget sentiment sometimes. We have other options, which are better im my view. Sorondo looked imposing when he came on at Brum and also put in a good display at clownton, I certainley felt more comfortable with him there. Boyce is also knocking on the door when you consider his displays at right back and the fact that
centre 1/2 is actually his natural position. What he also gives us is the option of bringing Danny Butterfield back in at full back. Add Hudson, Leigertwood and Powell to the equation and I feel that we certainley have the most central defensive depth of any of the teams in our mini league in the Premiership.

Sires
04-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Ah well KennyB it just seems that Mr Dowie is going to have to nurture someone else into the captainy role of Popo keeps frightening my while in defence

GreatGonzo
04-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by kong

Thanks for the offer but i really am not a dfender, if anything i need to play up front! ;) :D :o

Icarus
07-11-2004, 08:11 PM
All this talk of replacing Pops with Dean Richards et al was over the top, not because we don't need to replace him or that we need to venture into the market as Mikele Leigertwood's performance was something else he must now surely must be knocking on the door for a starting place- well done Mikele you've given the wizard that is ID one mother of a headache, Hall-Pops, Hall-Sorondo, Hall-Mikele, Pops-Sorondo, Pops-Mikele, Sorondo-Mikele. I'm gonna opt for Hall and............... oh boy!

.................Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet! Methinks Mikele might just nick it by 2005!

Icarus
06-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by swissroll
Saw the game on Star India last night. A feed from Sky TV. One of the studio pundits (Steve Gadsby?) said he knows Popovich and when they met at Selhurst before the start of the season, Popovich said he didnt think he was good enough at this level and expected to be on his way elsewhere.

Best news I've heard since AJ signed a new deal!

RDSdaEAGLE
06-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
if anything i need to play up front! ;) :D :o

God no! :D

Tony
06-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
There is well known adage: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". We have an excellent manager, Iain Dowie, who I seem to recall did a fairly satisfact-
ory job last season in taking us from 3rd bottom in the First Division to
the Premier League in just over 5 months, has since then assembled a
team for next to nothing which is now beginning to hold its own in that
League, whose Reserves beat Charlton first team away in the League
Cup and is paid to pick the team for Crystal Palace in each game.
If you care to make a study of successful football teams, you will find
that those which tend to make the fewest team changes in a season
usually end up winning most matches and trophies. This is a
known historical fact.

I've nothing to add to the thread and this quote isn't selected other than to notice that your curious paragraph affliction appears to be 'on the mend', Freddy. :)

Farawayeagle
06-12-2004, 09:40 PM
quote:
Saw the game on Star India last night. A feed from Sky TV. One of the studio pundits (Steve Gadsby?) said he knows Popovich and when they met at Selhurst before the start of the season, Popovich said he didnt think he was good enough at this level and expected to be on his way elsewhere.

Best news I've heard since AJ signed a new deal!

This is unmitigated crap. I have met Tony Popovic a few times and this is not the person I talked to. This kind of defeatist statement would not come out of his mouth.

Popovic is a confident guy and a fighter.

Sorry to burst your bubble Icarus. But while Poppa was in Sydney for the Solomons game I spoke to him and he said the beginning of the season had been hard but the team was starting to gel. He did not sound like a man ready to quit.
He was very positive about Palace's chances of staying up when interviewed for TV.

What is it with you anyway? Don't you watch any other Premiership games. If you did you'd know that all players make mistakes in games or have off days. Popovic is no different. I've seen clangers and bad distribution from pertty much every defender in the Premiership. I watch five or six full games a week. some of them twice.

The trend with some people to want to change players after every mistake shows a lack of ability to see the big picture. Fortunately Dowie has that ability. That's why he picks the team and why Popovic is one of his first names on the team sheet.

We have a better goal difference than 5 of the bottom 7 teams and we have conceded fewer goals than 4 of the bottom 7. So our defence isn't doing too badly by comparison.

Aki Aki Aki
07-12-2004, 08:57 AM
Gonzo will soon replace Pops, make Hughsie the captain.

cpfc_spc1982
07-12-2004, 09:31 AM
davies at luton.

Icarus
07-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Farawayeagle
quote:

Popovic is a confident guy and a fighter.

If you did you'd know that all players make mistakes in games or have off days. Popovic is no different. I've seen clangers and bad distribution from pertty much every defender in the Premiership. I watch five or six full games a week. some of them twice.

The trend with some people to want to change players after every mistake shows a lack of ability to see the big picture.

If Pop can be honest about his ability then at the very least you should be. I don't know Pop and like I said from the start it's not personal though purely for the good of the team. Pop's is not premier league standard - simple..... .....and it shows week in week out.

Farawayeagle
07-12-2004, 10:27 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

I think he's doing fine. This mysterious "premier league standard" -- how do you quantify it? Because as I said I can analyse a lot of supposed "Premiership standard players" and find as many flaws as Popovic. Some of them cost millions more than him.

But let's leave it where it is. Dowie ihas picked him regularly -- even when Sorondo and Hudson were fit.

sydnsteve
07-12-2004, 10:28 AM
And Aki should be captain, regardless of whether Popps plays or not IMO

lockstar
07-12-2004, 01:30 PM
I don't think popo needs replacing! If anyone needs replacing it wouild be granville because in the premiership the other teams wingers are twisting him up like he isn't even there. Pops is a great defender and rarely makes any mistakes so there is no need to replace him!

cpfc_spc1982
07-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by lockstar
. Pops is a great defender and rarely makes any mistakes so there is no need to replace him!

hehe