PDA

View Full Version : Charisteas

Sires
04-11-2004, 01:28 PM
That Greek guy has been told he is not going to get a first team place at his club and should leave. Always interesting to go for him as he did so well in Euro 2004 I am surprised nobody snapped him up. Anyway he is a forward and I know we have many of them but an oppurtunity like this does not come every day

RDSdaEAGLE
04-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Incorrect I'm affraid.

He's played 6 league games for them this season, and hasn't played recently due to a back injury.

Beanie
04-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Aside from Euro 2004 - what is the reason we should sign him? What has he done?

GreatGonzo
04-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Looks and plays like a Bolton player!

RDSdaEAGLE
04-11-2004, 01:42 PM
His scoring record isn't all that impressive either...

Bundesliga-Einsätze/Tore: 55/13
Bundesliga-Einsätze/Tore für Werder: 55/13
Europapokal-Einsätze/Tore: 5/2
Europapokal-Einsätze/Tore für Werder: 4/2
Länderspiele/Tore: 33/12 für Griechenland

Sussex Eagle
04-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Aside from Euro 2004 - what is the reason we should sign him? What has he done?

What aside from having been one of the central parts of a European champion's team? Well he's been a regular at a 'bigger' side than us in the Bundesliga. Would be worth getting, but I doubt he's available/would want to. And I'd prefer Ellington next time we go for a new striker if possible, anyway.

Beanie
04-11-2004, 01:53 PM
I said "aside from Euro 2004" for the simple reason that many players (half the Senegal 2002 team for example) have one storming tournament and then nothing, Never wise to sign on one tournament alone. Regular caps, Champions League, decent club sides etc is more important in my mind.

Sussex Eagle
04-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Agree to an extent. But he was a pretty successful top-level player before the Euros. It's just that we never seem to reognise the good Bundesliga players in this country. For instance some of the Czechs they have there. I'd be a bit suprised if we could afford this guy unless they really want rid of him, by the way.

Ouch that Hurt!
04-11-2004, 02:02 PM
I bought a Greek fake Charisteas (meaning Angel in Greek) t-shirt in Zante the other week, so from that point of view alone I say sign him. Funny how they all laughed when I asked if they had Lakis.

OOCO
04-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Ouch that Hurt!
I bought a Greek fake Charisteas (meaning Angel in Greek) t-shirt in Zante the other week, so from that point of view alone I say sign him. Funny how they all laughed when I asked if they had Lakis.

I got one of those when I was there too! :cool:

Sires
04-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Actually check on www.skysports.com and you shall see in the european league section that I am correct the manager told him that he should leave to get regular football

Sussex Eagle
04-11-2004, 02:42 PM
You're right - but next time a link at the top of the page would be appreciated :p

Greece coach Otto Rehhagel has advised striker Angelos Charisteas that he should leave Werder Bremen.

Rehhagel spent many successful years at the Weserstadion himself, but has told Charisteas that the amount of time he is spending on the bench is detrimental to his international career.

The Greek striker joined Werder in June 2002 from Aris Salonika and has scored 14 goals in 61 Bundesliga appearances for the club.

However, the Euro 2004 hero has only started one game this season for the German champions.

He has become out of favour and surrendered his regular first-team spot to either Miroslav Klose, Ivan Klasnic or Paraguayan youngster Nelson Valdez.

"It can't go on like this," Rehhagel told Weser Kurier.

"Angelos must play more in the long run.

"He must find a team in which he is the first-choice striker - and do it during the upcoming winter break."

Sussex Eagle
04-11-2004, 02:43 PM
So, on that basis, I'll say it would be a good buy in January if we got Shipps off the wage bill (and maybe loaned out Torghelle to boot)

Or you know, GET ELLINGTON! PLEASE! :)

Beanie
04-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Scoring record of about 1:4 is not a lot to write home about for a "main" striker. Could that be the reason he isn't playing for Bremen? I think Torghelle has a better strike rate than that, but may be wrong.

Sires
04-11-2004, 08:39 PM
we could play him attacking midfielder as that is where he seemed to play for Greece and he made some great runs during that tournament

Ralph
05-11-2004, 08:30 AM
...I think Torghelle has a better strike rate than that, but may be wrong.

Yes, and Richie Foran probably has a better strike rate than them both but I wouldnt want us signing him!! You need to consider the level they're playing at. Take a look at Ventola's record!

hugosabin
05-11-2004, 08:49 AM
I really don't think he would make a very big difference to the squad. Let Dowie play with what he has got in terms of forwards, unless, of course someone outstanding is on offer.

Farawayeagle
05-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by hugosabin
I really don't think he would make a very big difference to the squad. Let Dowie play with what he has got in terms of forwards, unless, of course someone outstanding is on offer.

I agree. Always thought Charisteas was overrated. Past his best.

Baldy
05-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Sires
[B]oppurtunity

:bash: :bash:

Sussex Eagle
05-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Scoring record of about 1:4 is not a lot to write home about for a "main" striker. Could that be the reason he isn't playing for Bremen? I think Torghelle has a better strike rate than that, but may be wrong.

Torghelle's strike rate was quite poor actually - 9 or 10 goals last season I think - and Charisteas was playing in one of the top leagues in the world, whereas Sanyi was in a backwater in footballing terms.

Sires
05-11-2004, 11:30 AM
I always thought Charisteas was underated untill everyone saw him at Euro 2004. I do not think I heard of him before that. Although to be honest that was the story about the whole Greece team really.