PDA

View Full Version : "Jordan has cash for four new men"

c_block_lad
14-11-2004, 11:55 AM
From SP.

Simon Jordan is planning to splash the cash in the January transfer window in a bid to keep Crystal Palace in the Premiership. He said: "We brought in 14 players in the summer, and sold none, so we are building a squad here. But I will go and buy another four or five in the transfer window if it means we have a chance of staying up."

Holmesdale Boy
14-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Good news

Hypodam
14-11-2004, 12:07 PM
What is the current state of play with reference to Jordon selling? Does the fact that we've had such a good run of recent form and there is a good chance that we won't get relegated mean that he now is happy to keep Palace?

MasterYoda
14-11-2004, 12:11 PM
I seem to recall he said he's in it for a while yet.

ANDYEAGLE
14-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Hypodam
What is the current state of play with reference to Jordon selling? Does the fact that we've had such a good run of recent form and there is a good chance that we won't get relegated mean that he now is happy to keep Palace?

I should not think it would make any difference to what SJ has in mind, the run of form may have made us look slightly more attractive, but the facts remain it can not be easy to sell a football club, especially with the fact that we don't own the ground. I doubt he has had any offers or if he has the offers maybe have been too low. If the right offer comes in I am sure he will sell.

bigee
14-11-2004, 12:54 PM
If our beloved SJ has more money for new players does that mean he may at last offer a new deal to those near the end of their contracts?

MasterYoda
14-11-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm sure if dowie wants them kept offers will be forthcoming

AJ
14-11-2004, 01:20 PM
The stakes have changed. If Palace goe down there are a number of players who will be "hot" targets for other premiership teams. Therefore, I think Jordan has a way to finance any new purchases.

Mr. Eagle
14-11-2004, 07:48 PM
We should by Michael Brown from Tottenham a realistic transfer target. Another keeper would be nice and another two left sided players plus a quality forward.

Latvian Eagle
14-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Left winger, Left Back, Attacking Mid, and a goalkeeper/Striker in my opinion.

:)

Shipp Ahoy!
14-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Blimey, I didn't think we really needed many if any!

I guess maybe another Defender, should Powell go.
Left Back
Left Winger
Midfielder
MAYBE a Striker like Ellington?

Sir.S.C Remembered
14-11-2004, 08:13 PM
I hope our purchases are selective as the team is doing well, and ones that add real quality without financially crippling us. Maybe worth a look at loan moves.

I also hope that alot of the promotion money is put towards clearing debts and possibly purchasing the ground as a legacy must be left

Dave
14-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Hypodam

If after 5 years the fans coulndn't spell my name I'd sell too

Moonbeam
14-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Do people really think JordOn will splash money? Why not buy the ground and tell people that you are here to stay and not willing to sell to the highest bidder?

Whoops can't say that can I?

ANDYEAGLE
14-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Moonbeam
Do people really think JordOn will splash money? Why not buy the ground and tell people that you are here to stay and not willing to sell to the highest bidder?

Whoops can't say that can I?

I think you will still find that RN does not want to sell to him and would still put an overinflated price on it anyway if he did. I agree that the ground should be the most important issue though.

Back to players needed agree left back, centre and left sided midfield,striker dependant on how Ventola shapes up. Ashton would still be my choice.

eagles #1
14-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Agree, get Ashton

pedro
14-11-2004, 09:13 PM
West Ham have admitted an interest in Furlong so maybe Harewood could be on the move come January. If so it will either be to us or Norwich. Assumptions I know but the rumour never seemed to go away so it might still happen.

ANDYEAGLE
14-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Not sure I would like Harewood Pedro. Be carefull though mentioning his name might bring some Hamsters out of hibernation. After yesterday they should stay there. Losing to Brighton at home, how bad can it get?

AJ
14-11-2004, 09:21 PM
If 4 players are to be bought, I would hope to see a left sided defender and left sided midfielder. Also, we need a backup for Hughes or/and Watson, on top of that we need another fast forward who can back up AJ.

pedro
14-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Spoke to my Hamster mate this evening and he too reckons Harewood will be off in January. I was very keen on him before the start of the season but not sure now although he might be the option needed up front if we ever lose AJ for a period of time as he has both pace and power although his finishing isn't as good as it could be.

AJ
14-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
Losing to Brighton at home, how bad can it get?

There are lots of worse things than can happen when the word Brighton is mentioned....:o

james powell
14-11-2004, 10:09 PM
i didnt know we bought 14 players i only thought we bought 11 or possibly 12

hughff
14-11-2004, 10:16 PM
The only areas where I feel we have good depth are up front and centre back. I'd like a fourth winger (left footed pref.) and another central midfielder with a defensive mindset. I'd also rather have two really good players than four journeymen.

Stavros 69
14-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Left defender, Left winger
Centre Midfielder
Striker

I think we're ok with a keeper untill the summer and we'll see where we are then

Harewood would be great because he can play on the wing as well

limited_edition
14-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Stavros 69
Harewood would be great because he can play on the wing as well What ? Like the Play Off final ? Don't kid yourself. Harewood is never a winger. It's just Pardew being a dickhead with his tactics. He's had Rebrov playing on the wing this season. And Mullins at left back last.

Teddy
14-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
Left winger, Left Back, Attacking Mid, and a goalkeeper/Striker in my opinion.

:)

goalkeeper/striker hey, not too many oh those knocking about, maybe we could get campos or Chilavert out of retirement.:D

TheCharmer
15-11-2004, 06:34 AM
Back up left midfielder, quality left back, central midfielder and back up keeper. And as previously said if Ventola is not going to be fit regularly get another striker too.

Sussex Eagle
15-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Hmmmm. I think we could do with 5 in an ideal world.

Goalie - No-one special, just someone solid and consistent. Vaesen would do it if he could be convinced to play second fiddle. Speroni can go on loan to the Championship or League One and get some confidence/form.
Left Back - I like Granville, but he's probably not one of our stronger players, so we might be looking for someone a bit special here.
Left Winger - Not sure we need to splash the cash here as Joonas is more than adequate. Somebody cheap with untapped potential.
Centre Midfielder - As well as the three we have are doing, I think we need more than back-up here, as there is no competition for these positions and one injury would force our hand into change. Jimmy Bullard of Wigan is good - but Wigan players are hard to get.
Striker - Ellington or Ashton - Both would be good as alternatives/partners for AJ, and unless NV proves himself before then would fill a rather gaping hole beyond AJ, and to an extent Dougie, up front.

DennisUphill
15-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by pedro
Spoke to my Hamster mate this evening and he too reckons Harewood will be off in January. I was very keen on him before the start of the season but not sure now although he might be the option needed up front if we ever lose AJ for a period of time as he has both pace and power although his finishing isn't as good as it could be.

Funny that, I can remember similar sentiments expressed about AJ when he first arrived. Amazing what a bit of confidence can do to a person's form.

Hypodam
15-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Dave
If after 5 years the fans coulndn't spell my name I'd sell too

Ooops!, I did of course mean "Jorden", sorry. :embarrassed smiley:

Gooders
15-11-2004, 07:31 AM
Harewood hasn't done nearly enough to show he's worth a move to the Premiership.

ozzieEagle
15-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Yehp bring back Julian gray ;) and one more very strong striker half as prolific as AJ, would be good enough., Someone older for Granville to model himself on and compete for a place in the team. Plus A very good Midfielder, (a Boyce like charactor, from the lower divisions ) to keep ours honest,

It's a real pity about Julian Gray, Imagine him crossing to AJ from the Left and Routlidge from the right, With the physically strong striker picking up from the mayhem caused. (we should already have that in torghelle though ?) Beautiful, i can just see it

gold76
15-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Just my opinion but I think Ricketts of Spurs would add to our squad, plus maybe Clement of the Baggies or Huzti of Hungary down the left, both having been linked in the past.

winners
15-11-2004, 09:27 AM
clement looks good everytime i see him (which isnt a lot, but everytime they are on tv!)

nookiebear
15-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Left defender, Left winger
Centre Midfielder
Striker

I think we're ok with a keeper untill the summer and we'll see where we are then

Harewood would be great because he can play on the wing as well

Agree with everything but think we do need a decent back-up to Gabor as i don't rate Speroni at all.

nicky
15-11-2004, 01:05 PM
We need a left back and an attacking central midfielder.

God knows who though.

WBA fans think Clement is shit, although he is playing centre mid. I suspect hes one of those players that is fantastic in Div.1 but crap in the Prem.

Daddy Long
15-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by AJ
on top of that we need another fast forward who can back up AJ.

Andrews is back from injury and was on the bench last weekend....

Son of Ron
15-11-2004, 01:13 PM
I think the signings will be largely dependent on where we are in the table.

If realistically we are going to stay up then I think he'll splash the cash a bit, otherwise I think he'll keep it rather than panic buy in a desperate attempt to stay up.

I am sure the squad we've got now are more than capable of promotion from the Championship IF we go down.

Dave
15-11-2004, 01:17 PM
clement looks good everytime i see him (which isnt a lot, but everytime they are on tv!) I agree fwiw

Malakite
15-11-2004, 03:10 PM
I think thats excellent news I really do. I also thik it makes perfect sense to wait until january before splashing the cash..look what happened last time we invested in a panic state of mind...we went down, the had a huge wage bill and squad of players that were underperforming in the 1st Division, then slipped into administration and then had to sell them off for pathetic prices :(

Batsta
15-11-2004, 03:13 PM
I guess alot will depend on whether we have 20-22 points by Xmas.

El Aguila
15-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Kristiansen?
Not that I've ever seen him play, of course, but everyone who has seems to rate him.

JJO
15-11-2004, 03:17 PM
At left back Dowie should look for an extremely experienced option as Borrowdale represents a very possible future player at this position (and until then Granville is solid back up). Someone like Graeme Le Saux springs to mind if the saints go with Jelle "Hard Target" Van Damme more and more this season.

At left wing I'd like it if Dowie went looking for a young option (or possibly a fill-in veteran on a 1-2 year contract) willing to play second fiddle to Kolkka. If somehow Palace manage to loan Kily Gonzalez I'd fancy Kolkka down the right and a solid 3-man rotation down the flanks with Wayne. I think Kily played a number of games in center midfield in te Olympics, maybe he could play there as well.

I'm not sure if another striker is needed, first I guess we have to see if Ventola will ever be fit and if Kaviedes has something to offer.

Batsta
15-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Dowie likes younger players. He's building for the future.

colinw
15-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Kenton from Southampton at left back/wing was rumoured at the same time as one size and would be a good buy. Up front Bent (Ipswich not Everton) has speed and strength and scores lots of goals - a good partner for AJ

Fat Andy
15-11-2004, 03:30 PM
It does worry me a bit when people say they want back up to our midfielders. Don't get me wrong they've all done brilliantly so far but I feel IF we are going to stay up we should be looking at players that are actually better than the ones we've already got.

Stavros 69
15-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Batsta

All well and good but that wont keep us in the Premiership

GreatGonzo
15-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Why is everyone suggesting a partner for AJ?

I cannot see ID changing the system which has coincided with us playing better! Now we have a system we have to look to make sure we have good players in every position and back ups for them in case of injury and suspension.

Gooders
15-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by colinw
Kenton from Southampton at left back/wing was rumoured at the same time as one size and would be a good buy.

I think he plays on the right.

And whenever I see the Saints on tv, he seems to be making mistakes.

Malakite
15-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Batsta

Yeah, good on him for that too, its definately the way forward! :p

Batsta
15-11-2004, 03:45 PM
All well and good but that wont keep us in the Premiership

Maybe your right, I don't know. But none of Dowies signings so far have been old. I can't see him buying like Redknapp does. Signings like onesize are more Dowie's cup of tea.

L'head Eagle
15-11-2004, 03:48 PM
We need a midfielder who can do a bit of everything. This has been our target before the season started. Cahill would have been the ideal but that was not meant to be. Its not the emergency that I thought it once was, Aki and now Ben Watson have both far exceeded expectations. I don't think Granville has been too bad either.

I expect only 1 player to come in January. If I was going to put a name into a hat it would be Jason Koumas. He is IMO a better player than Cahill.

c_block_lad
15-11-2004, 03:50 PM
We do not need any strikers unless with get rid of some, we have 7 of them as it is!

GreatGonzo
15-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by L'head Eagle
I expect only 1 player to come in January. If I was going to put a name into a hat it would be Jason Koumas. He is IMO a better player than Cahill.

Surely you are having a laugh?

Cahill scores more goals than Koumas, assists more goals than Koumas and also puts in the odd tackle!

If you are looking for a luxury player who will blow hot and cold and put in 1 challenge a season if you are lucky, then and only then would Koumas be anywhere near the top of the list!

Sussex Eagle
15-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
We do not need any strikers unless with get rid of some, we have 7 of them as it is!

Well I would advocate the sale/release of Shipperley & Black - and possibly Andrews (though of course he deserves a chance to prove he's better than his record suggests). Also, Torghelle should be loaned out imo, as he seems to need to settle into England and grow up a bit. So that leaves us with the brilliant AJ, the decent Dougie - and NV & IK who are both clearly talented, but one seems to be injury-prone, and the other appears to have a stinking attitude. So, by my rather harsh rational, a new striker is a must. As our midfielders improve (and if we get one more in with some class), 4-4-2 may become an option again. And if Ventola doesn't turn up this season, we have no well-suited replacement for AJ if we stick to 4-5-1.

atillio
15-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Matty Etherington please

heard we are still monitoring the ashdon situation...the only problem is half the premiership have scouting him for the last 18 months

tasty_snacks
16-11-2004, 06:42 AM
no more strikers for crying out loud!!!!

aj- need i say more?

dougie- work rate vastly improved and well worth a spot in the side of late. has experience and premiership quality

ventola- when this guy comes back from injury he will score goals, a top, top quality player

torghelle- lots of huff and puff, but can actually play a bit too. first few games of season looked very useful

ivan- technically brilliant. has the confidence to run at people. when he has settled he could be our di canio

shipps- the man is a legend. should be given a chance solely on that basis. prem experience, works superbly with aj and after all did score nearly 20 goals for a poor wimbledon side not long ago. dowie's kind of heart on sleeve player

andrews- just bought the fella. give him a season or 2 and see how he does.

as far as i'm concerned, that's a premiership squad of strikers.

eagle.hu
16-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Accroding to Hungarian website NB1 ( www.nb1.hu - not very reliable though), Palace are interested in signing Emmanuel Petit who has no team currently and training with Arsenal.

Rog 007
16-11-2004, 07:37 AM
Where did SJ make this quote?

eagle.hu
16-11-2004, 07:38 AM
...not mentioned on NB1

Gooders
16-11-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by eagle.hu
Accroding to Hungarian website NB1 ( www.nb1.hu - not very reliable though), Palace are interested in signing Emmanuel Petit who has no team currently and training with Arsenal.

I think we were interested once, but I doubt we are any longer. We don't need him.

hugosabin
16-11-2004, 08:20 AM
I would take Petit on a six month deal as long as he is hungry and is fully fit. Very experienced and could only strenghtn the squad.

Koumas is nowhere near the quality of Cahill.
I do feel that a left back is a must

Popester
16-11-2004, 08:24 AM
I dont think we could afford Pettit's wages. The guy would probably want a couple of million per season.

ANDYEAGLE
16-11-2004, 09:46 AM
I would love to have had Petit at Palace and still would if he was fit. I cannot understand why he has not agreed a deal with anyone, which makes me think there is a problem not necessarily with wages but maybe his ego. He is training at Arsenal but you would think he would be happy to train at Palace or any interested club to prove he is fit and still able. It appears he does not want to do this. He was offered a deal at Bolton and the contract had stipulations about his fitness which anyone would want. He considered this to be unacceptable as he was a proven world player. Maybe as his head seems to be up his own backside we should leave this one alone.

Cleon
16-11-2004, 10:24 AM
I think that the comment about how many points we have come January is very important. We are currently playing well and picking up points, but December is a critical month for us. Southampton, Charlton, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Tottenham and Fulham are all vital games, and very winable. Man Utd away is the only 'throwaway' game in the month. If we are over 25 points by 2 January, then I think Jordan will feel comfortable enough to put some decent money down for some bigger name players. If we are still south of the 20 point mark then we need to be considering the possibility of Championship football in 2005-06, and budget accordingly.

Regardless, I would expect to see some players move on, possibly Derry, Black, Powell and Shipperley - the squad is now big enough that we should be losing some players as well as adding others. In which case you would hope to see a new central midfielder as we are riding our luck on injuries at the moment, as well as the fact that Aki, Hughes & Watson are all in-form. Any loss of form or injury would be a major setback - Soares is a gamble, Leigertwood a defender and Derry isn't good enough.

Personally, I feel that a top-quality left back is required. Granville is good - but he's playing as well as he will ever play at present. If Dowie wants to move the club forward, we need to up the pace. I don't know who is the answer, but with Borrowdale and Granville's contracts up at the end of the season it would seem an ideal time to make a proper decision as to which two leftbacks we actually want/need at the club.

We probably also require a back-up goalkeeper to Kiraly. Speroni seems to have lost all confidence, and his defence has probably lost all confidence in him. I'm assuming Berthelin has moved on, and that Cronin still is some way off being ready. Myhre may be an option - I'm sure he may be prepared to take that wage cut now since he has only 6 months left on his inflated Sunderland deal and this may be his last opportunity to get a role with a Premiership club.

The final piece of the jigsaw would be another wide left player to back up Kolkka. Again, I have no ideas, but I guess that's the job of Bob Dowie!

So, four in (LB, LW, CM & GK) and four out (CM, RW, CB & ST) providing we do well in December.

maestro
16-11-2004, 02:14 PM
What about that hungarian left back (or was it left midfield) that scored a quality goal against scotalnd, werent we interested in him?

Croydon Exile
16-11-2004, 02:27 PM
New Men? He wants four New Men?

Why does he want to give a load of his cash to a bunch of metrosexuals?