PDA

View Full Version : Danny Granville turns down new contract

Tommy Pickle
17-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Dannys contract is up in the summer and he (like others) is apparently still awaiting an offer from the club. Do you think the club should renew it?

davematt
17-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Yes. Danny may not be the best full back in the world, but is definetly a good player to have in the squad.

He has been abit of a revelation over the past 11 months, whatever people think.

Jasper
17-11-2004, 11:52 AM
played well this season, adds a bit of experience to the team. Also gary borrowdale's contract is up. Would be a shame to lose him, good player in my opinion.

Fatman
17-11-2004, 11:53 AM
played very well this season...solid performer...deserves a contact...think Jordan may wait until after Christmas to get it sorted?

st albans
17-11-2004, 11:55 AM
played well last season, struggled a little in games when up against pace this season, but good squad player and pleased to have him in the squad

AJ
17-11-2004, 12:00 PM
He was on high wages in the First Division, so, I reckon' he won't get an offer until after this season is decided.

Benzhiyi
17-11-2004, 12:00 PM
In terms of his performances he probably deserves a new contract as a back up player, but the problem here is money.

Danny was signed before the collapse of ITV Digital and is on between 8,000 and 11,000 a week, which is a hell of a lot of money, particularly when we could probably find a better left back for less cash, like Baines at Wigan or Shorey at Reading. If and when we do strengthen here, do we also want to be paying a back up player five figures a week?

LP
17-11-2004, 12:02 PM
He needs some competition for that left back spot....but also deserves a new contract.

Webb
17-11-2004, 12:02 PM
I reckon he'll get one, but as has been said, he will have to take a reduction in wages, even if we do stay up.

Joeymaz
17-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Good squad player to have. Wait til Jan transfer window and seeing who we buy will depend on whether he gets the contract

Nelson Muntz
17-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Getting lots of undeserved stick on here this season.

RENEW

davematt
17-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz

RENEW

AGREE!!!!!

Bartman
17-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Good squad player who scores the odd goal.

jazman
17-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Agree that he is worth a new contract but I guess Sj may wait until season decided bearing in mind his high wages

Son of Ron
17-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
In terms of his performances he probably deserves a new contract as a back up player, but the problem here is money.

Danny was signed before the collapse of ITV Digital and is on between 8,000 and 11,000 a week, which is a hell of a lot of money, particularly when we could probably find a better left back for less cash, like Baines at Wigan or Shorey at Reading. If and when we do strengthen here, do we want to be playing a back up player five figures a week?

Last season I heard he was highest paid player at the club (probably not now the likes of AJ have signed new deals) on 13k a week. Good for Div 1 !

If you'd asked me a year ago I'd have said he was the 1st one needing to be shipped out, but under Dowie the transformation has been amazing.

He's never going to be the best left back in the world but I'd say he's done more than enough to warrant a new deal but whether its at the same money will depend on which league we're in, and thats clearly why the delay in SJ offering new deals.

Pezzadoner
17-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Has raised his level of performance from the start of the season and IMO played extremely well in a few of the key games on the way to promotion, so go on SJ give him a new one.

Something that got me thinking though is the fact that WBA are clearing out 6 players or so and with Clements contract up at the end of the season and with our previous enquiries it looks like that he could well be competition for Danny's spot arter xmas.

GreatGonzo
17-11-2004, 12:33 PM
No place for sentiment - not renewing.

He is not a 1st team left back, i expect us to go shopping for one of them in January. After that you are looking at back-up and i would rather have borrowdale as back-up.

Think the guy has improved a lot just not quite at the level we will need in the premiership next season.

GreatGonzo
17-11-2004, 12:35 PM
A 3 year contract on his current salary is over 2m!

A 5 year contract for Borrowdale would be half that - and extra 1m to strengthen the squad!

Fatman
17-11-2004, 12:38 PM
so we buy another left back for 2 million and pay out more in wages? thats crazy...stick with what you've got which at the moment is a solid performer

sydnsteve
17-11-2004, 12:47 PM
New contract, but less money would be my suggestion. He has done really well, but is probably still the weakest link in the defence. Having said that, no-one has embarassed him this season.

GreatGonzo
17-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Get in a better left back, pay him the money, borrowdale as back up.

There is better than Danny out there and i would trust the brothers Dowie to bring in one of them!

ANDYEAGLE
17-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo

There is better than Danny out there and i would trust the brothers Dowie to bring in one of them!

Agree with you Gonzo. I think many are being rather sentimental towards Danny. I think he lacks the ability at this level.

LP
17-11-2004, 12:58 PM

But Granville is currently ahead of Borrowdale in the pecking order on merit so surely Danny should be the 2nd choice at least if we bring in a new left back.

That would then mean we could loan out Borrowdale to a Championship side for much needed experience.

gold76
17-11-2004, 01:01 PM
I think we'll sign Clement if not in January, at the end of the season. I'm sure Danny G will be offered a new deal, he's done ok. It may be that we release Borrowdale, which would be a shame..

Cleon
17-11-2004, 01:01 PM
We need two decent leftbacks at this club, which is what we currently have. Danny Granville is currently in the form of his life, and in the team on merit. However, to take the club forward, we need to drop one of the two and bring in a better player. Personally, I would allow Granville to leave, sign up Borrowdale to a new contract, and bring in somebody better. What I can't tell you at the moment is who that somebody better is.

nottsunieagle
17-11-2004, 01:05 PM
i can't see us letting borrowdale go, he's got a bright future at the club. danny has been solid but agree it does depend on how much borrowdale forces himself into dowie's reckoning. i'm afraid, despite how good he has been, if borrowdale comes along more then we should not renew.

jempie
17-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Pezzadoner
Has raised his level of performance from the start of the season and IMO played extremely well in a few of the key games on the way to promotion, so go on SJ give him a new one.

Something that got me thinking though is the fact that WBA are clearing out 6 players or so and with Clements contract up at the end of the season and with our previous enquiries it looks like that he could well be competition for Danny's spot arter xmas.

I don't know how true it is, but I heard that Clement wants to move to London as his family are here.

Ever since we enquired about Clement his performances have got better. Hopefully he was trying to impress us.

I think Granville has played well. Couple of goals as well.

But I think he will have to lower his wages to get the contract. And to be fair he was signed in ITV digital era (as mentioned).

Tommy Pickle
17-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm unsure whether Danny would take a cut in wages, particularly as we are now in the prem. If we go down, then i think he will move on. If we stay up, i still dont think we should pay him as much as he earns now. Either way IMO hes a good player to have at the club.

GreatGonzo
17-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by LP
But Granville is currently ahead of Borrowdale in the pecking order on merit so surely Danny should be the 2nd choice at least if we bring in a new left back.

That would then mean we could loan out Borrowdale to a Championship side for much needed experience.

So we bring in a quality left back, Granville backs him up for the rest of the season, Borrowdale goes out on loan and comes back a better player for next season.

Those who are suggesting we let borrowdale go who is young and upcoming and retain an overpaid player edging towards retirement are mad!

GreatGonzo
17-11-2004, 03:14 PM
In 2 months time Granville will be 30 and Borrowdale will still be 6 months off his 20th birthday!

Elephant with mouse gyp
17-11-2004, 03:24 PM
I think we need a new left back, probably two - one as a late Christmas present, one in the summer sales. One thing about Palace is that we have had too many short and slight players for too long. I get the impression Dowie is trying to change that especially at the back - Boyce and Hall are both nice and strong for example - so my totally without inside knowledge guess is that Borrodale won't figure in the future.

Shoreditch CPFC
17-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Bartman
Good squad player who scores the odd goal.

Yeah, but how may open goals is he going to miss this season ?

If we can get a top quality left back in I'd let him go & keep Borrowdale. If not, keep him, but hopefully on a reduced salary.

LP
17-11-2004, 03:34 PM
So we bring in a quality left back, Granville backs him up for the rest of the season, Borrowdale goes out on loan and comes back a better player for next season.

Those who are suggesting we let borrowdale go who is young and upcoming and retain an overpaid player edging towards retirement are mad!

So basically Gonzo you've taken a u turn? If you read through my post you'll see that I'm advocating exactly what your suggesting. Granville is currently better than Borrowdale and therefore more equipt to provide back up to any new left back brought in. Borrowdale meanwhile is a good long term prospect who'll benefit from a spell on loan, I've certainley never suggested he leave the club permanantly, I do feel that he is not ready for the Premiership yet though.

ebyeeckeagle
17-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Shoreditch CPFC
...If we can get a top quality left back in I'd let him go & keep Borrowdale. If not, keep him, but hopefully on a reduced salary.

Yep.

Ev
17-11-2004, 03:44 PM
if you offer a player reduced wages on a new contract (which we would surely have to do even if we wanted to keep him), he's free to walk away anyway.

I think he'll be leaving.

Tommy Pickle
17-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Very interesting that both are out of contract. Can anyone see both players leaving when their contracts run out?

LeeH
17-11-2004, 03:46 PM
think that Danny has stepped up to the plate this season - After the first couple of games I thought he'd really struggle but he seems to have settled well and I'm never disappointed or overly happy when he is included on the teamsheet

I wonder if it's just that he is one of those players who isnt 'prolific' (doesnt stand out in a team of 11 and does a lot of unseen work) and because of this he will always be seen as a squad player. I agree, there are better quality players out there but I still say renew and give him some competition to sharpen up his game.

BLUE BOY
17-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Ok, i know im going to get shot down here, but i would out Granvile and get a new left back, and if we cant get a new 1 i would play Borrowdale.

Granvile has zero pace and imo a liabilty against decent wide players.

Benzhiyi
17-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Ev
if you offer a player reduced wages on a new contract (which we would surely have to do even if we wanted to keep him), he's free to walk away anyway.

I think he'll be leaving.

But how many clubs would come in for Granville's services, even if he were available on a free?

I very much doubt anyone in the Prem would be interested, and no-one in the Championship would pay an average left back more than 5k a week, tops.

He's better off staying with us and, if necessary, taking a pay cut, than chancing his arm elsewhere.

Ev
Originally posted by BLUE BOY
Ok, i know im going to get shot down here, but i would out Granvile and get a new left back, and if we cant get a new 1 i would play Borrowdale.

Granvile has zero pace and imo a liabilty against decent wide players.

Generally agreed.

He's not the quickest and he got slaughtered by an average winger like Gronkjaer.

Trying hard though (as they all are) and worth a place until we target someone better.

B the Bad
I think it's mad that ANY player ever gets released for free. Unless totally terrible or the guy is totally stubborn as far as signing a new one goes.

Ev
17-11-2004, 03:52 PM
But how many clubs would come in for Granville's services, even if he were available on a free?

I very much doubt anyone in the Prem would be interestedin

Yep, correct.

Cos he's not a premiership quality full-back, in my opinion

Tommy Pickle
17-11-2004, 04:24 PM

I very much doubt anyone in the Prem would be interested, and no-one in the Championship would pay an average left back more than 5k a week, tops.

He's better off staying with us and, if necessary, taking a pay cut, than chancing his arm elsewhere.

Totally see what your saying. Assuming that is the case and we are still in prem when his contract runs out, why would we want to keep him?

Also suggests that we could pretty much wait right up until the end of his contract before offering a new one, as there is no fear of any other (attractive) clubs coming in for him

Tommy Pickle
17-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by B the Bad
I think it's mad that ANY player ever gets released for free. Unless totally terrible or the guy is totally stubborn as far as signing a new one goes.

What if the player in question is not in the managers plans and there is a better and affordable replacement? Would it not then be even madder not to let him go for free?

etu
17-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Granville's not embarassed himself and has put in some good performances, but I'd still say he's one of the weaker performers - which has as much to do with the quality of those he's surrounded by as anything. Left back is an obvious position for strengthening.

We don't need 3 left backs and we'd be mad to let a 20 year with England youth experience walk away.

Given this, letting his contract expire seems the only obvious - if somewhat harsh - thing to do.

Brett
17-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Believe me, I really want Danny to do well b...

TN16_Eagle
17-11-2004, 06:52 PM

He is not a 1st team left back, i expect us to go shopping for one of them in January. After that you are looking at back-up and i would rather have borrowdale as back-up.

Think the guy has improved a lot just not quite at the level we will need in the premiership next season.

Agreed

kezza
17-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Granville should go, I really do think we need a better left back with decent pace and a better tackle. What about the likes of Gabbidon from Cardiff ?, Clement would be great also. Really looking forward to the Jan window ( feel that we will be doing well and so be an attractive option to all we are interested in)

Jay_Palace
17-11-2004, 08:02 PM

Danny was signed before the collapse of ITV Digital and is on between 8,000 and 11,000 a week, which is a hell of a lot of money, particularly when we could probably find a better left back for less cash, like Baines at Wigan or Shorey at Reading. If and when we do strengthen here, do we also want to be paying a back up player five figures a week?

:eek: :eek: :eek: He's earning that much?

Shipp Ahoy!
18-11-2004, 01:09 AM
Well I think we need a new left back but he could be good as cover, add some depth to the squad. But it depends on his wages I suppose. He must be getting on a bit now so I am sure he will stay as even as a squad player we are probably his only or best chance of any premier football.

Sussex Eagle
18-11-2004, 01:19 AM
Really not sure - depends on how ID rates Borrowdale and how successful the inevitable new left back bought in in January is. I like DG but suspect this is his last season at Selhurst, whether we stay up or (spit) not - not the best we can get one way, too expensive the other?

Sussex Eagle
18-11-2004, 01:22 AM

On balance, I agree with this. Though I would be happy enough for DG to play every game this season if we don't get a new lefty in Jan.

hughff
18-11-2004, 01:28 AM
I think he's done enough.

Rog 007
18-11-2004, 07:35 AM
Yes he's been agreat player, especially under Dowie

cpfc_spc1982
18-11-2004, 08:54 AM
renew his contract , hes made mistakes but hes not the only one.

glaziers fan
18-11-2004, 09:43 AM

Totally agree with this.

glaziers fan
18-11-2004, 09:43 AM
A 3 year contract on his current salary is over 2m!

A 5 year contract for Borrowdale would be half that - and extra 1m to strengthen the squad!

And this!

glaziers fan
18-11-2004, 09:49 AM

If you don't think many clubs would come in for him on a free and we're looking to establish ourselves as a Premiership side, surely he has to go at the end of the season? Like you said, it's doubtful anyone in the Prem would be interested in him, so why should we? No room for sentiment. Yes Granville has improved but Borrowdale has the potential to be at least as good (have been impressed by him in recent games) and I think it's a choice between the 2 for a squad position. There is no doubt that left-back is still our weakest position.

Benzhiyi
18-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
If you don't think many clubs would come in for him on a free and we're looking to establish ourselves as a Premiership side, surely he has to go at the end of the season?

Didn't I say that on the first page of this thread??!

cpfc_spc1982
18-11-2004, 12:34 PM
konchesky would probably be available in january but hes been playing left mid for the past seasons for charlton and spurs and reserve football. that yakubu guy has also been playing left midfield for barnet. i wouldnt say clement was any better a player than granville. harding doesnt look bad at brighton , baines is pretty small for a left back at wigan.

BW_Palace
18-11-2004, 01:56 PM
No - unless he takes a paycut, there's no way he's worth the wages he's currently on IMO.

Jordan's Jacket
18-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Not good enough, I still think he is a weak link

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
18-11-2004, 02:04 PM
I think he's played ok this season but he's paid too much for what he can do. I think we should definately keep an eye out for another left back option

Tommy Pickle
18-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace
No - unless he takes a paycut, there's no way he's worth the wages he's currently on IMO.

Would he take a pay cut? Surely he would have to, if so how much? IMO we'd need to half his wages.

Daddy Long
18-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Konchesky is certainly worth a look.

Selhurst Guy
18-11-2004, 05:58 PM
He's proved to be a good quality player for us in the Premier. I'd say keep him until Borrowdale is good enough to take over.

Bartman
18-11-2004, 07:30 PM
I forgot to mention that he's on about 35k / month!

Iain Dowie
18-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Sign him up,some people even say he's our best full back since Jim Cannon,Sign him up now!

Beckenham Boy
19-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Interesting article here about Grnaville and Borrowdale and a bit about Wayne also.

GRANVILLE REJECTS EAGLES DEAL
by Paul Higham - Last Updated 19 Nov 2004

Danny Granville has turned down an initial offer of a new deal at Crystal Palace, while the club are in more positive talks with Wayne Routledge and Gary Borrowdale.

Eagles chairman Simon Jordan revealed that Granville was keen to remain at Selhurst Park, but had turned down their first offer.

"Danny has indicated he would like to stay, but what we offered wasn't what he wanted," Jordan told the South London Press.

"It's a case of suck it and see with Danny."

Granville, Routledge and Barrowdale are all out of contract in the summer and Jordan is looking to keep all three men at the club.

Jordan says that he is having informal talks with Routledge and Barrowdale, aimed at getting the best possible outcome for both parties.

"It's a balancing act between rewarding them for what they have achieved and not letting them get carried away with the money side of things.

"We are speaking to them at the moment, and we'd rather do that than speak to their representatives at this stage.

"We are dealing with Wayne and his mother, both of whom I know very well, and Gary and a friend of his parents. Rest assured it is being handled properly."

nottsunieagle
19-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Beckenham Boy
Interesting article here about Grnaville and Borrowdale and a bit about Wayne also.

GRANVILLE REJECTS EAGLES DEAL
by Paul Higham - Last Updated 19 Nov 2004

Danny Granville has turned down an initial offer of a new deal at Crystal Palace, while the club are in more positive talks with Wayne Routledge and Gary Borrowdale.

Eagles chairman Simon Jordan revealed that Granville was keen to remain at Selhurst Park, but had turned down their first offer.

"Danny has indicated he would like to stay, but what we offered wasn't what he wanted," Jordan told the South London Press.

Granville, Routledge and Barrowdale are all out of contract in the summer and Jordan is looking to keep all three men at the club.

Jordan says that he is having informal talks with Routledge and Barrowdale, aimed at getting the best possible outcome for both parties.

"It's a balancing act between rewarding them for what they have achieved and not letting them get carried away with the money side of things.

"We are speaking to them at the moment, and we'd rather do that than speak to their representatives at this stage.

"We are dealing with Wayne and his mother, both of whom I know very well, and Gary and a friend of his parents. Rest assured it is being handled properly."

yeah i saw that too. to be honest out of that i'm more glad that he is talking to wayne and gary's families rather than the agents for the time being.

nomad
19-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Iain Dowie
Sign him up,some people even say he's our best full back since Jim Cannon,Sign him up now!

Very few I would think. As he has now rejected Pallace's initial offer, let him see out his contract and bring Borrowdale in. In the interim, loan GB out to get more first team experience.

Personally, I think that Granville is out of his depth in the Prem (yes, I know he has played there before) and cannot defend to save his life. His positional sense is atrocious and speedy wingers go round him as though he wasn't there.

adonkis
19-11-2004, 09:00 PM
dunno if there is already a thread on this but according to sky sports, danny granville has turned down an offer of a new contract, informal talks are under way with routledge and borrowdale and hughes wants an extension!

chav_hater
19-11-2004, 09:03 PM
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=239028&cpid=8&CLID=31&lid=&title=Granville+rejects+Eagles+deal for the full story

Gooders
19-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Perhaps he knows there's a replacement coming in January?

maestro
19-11-2004, 09:37 PM
like it how he gets all the agents out the way!

Pikie Punisher
19-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by adonkis
and hughes wants an extension!

Give it to him, no argument.

Shipp Ahoy!
19-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Granville won't get anything like the deal he probably thinks he should, if I remember rightly he was signed pre-digital.

JHJ EAGLE
19-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Thank God! May be we`ll get a decent left back in now. On Sky this afternoon I.D said that he wanted 2 or 3 new bodies in in January but only if they had the right attitude, wanted to come to Palace and that it didn`t upset the equalibrium of the current squad. Happy days!

MikeyDread
19-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Obviously Dowie and the management team want Danny Boy to stay but they want to pay the right money for each players contracts, which makes commercial sense.

It also frees money up for the arrival of new players - so all in all in the best interest of the club and if he decides not to accept, I don't think he's good enough to get a host of clubs rushing in with their cheque books.

Palaceboy222
20-11-2004, 09:46 AM
If Dowie wants him to re-sign, so do i, I think he's done well this season, Palace fans seem to want to get on his back for the sake of getting on his back! Vs Arsenal he was brill, he was slightly mis-positioned for the goal, and everyone gets on his back!!

wilton days
21-11-2004, 10:14 AM
I think along with not so soooper wayne they should let him go , both routledge and granville dont seem to be able to hack it , as for routledge i think i`ll start another thread for that toss pot

Braders
21-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by wilton days
I think along with not so soooper wayne they should let him go , both routledge and granville dont seem to be able to hack it , as for routledge i think i`ll start another thread for that toss pot

:rolleyes:

Jimbo ?
21-11-2004, 06:46 PM
granville is a player we could replace. so it would be mad to spend stupid money trying to keep him. wait and see - wouldnt be surprised if he signed on later in the season/summer

Tomo
21-11-2004, 06:54 PM

HAve you considered comedy?

Skid Row
22-11-2004, 02:52 AM
Thank god you've only posted 46 times.

Jim Cannon
22-11-2004, 11:57 AM

Your a Millwall fan right? :D

Jim Cannon
22-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Am I missing something here - why is this thread saying he's turned down a new contract when it seems he hasn't been offered one yet?

Aki Aki Aki
22-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Jim Cannon

A very uneducated one :D

Sussex Eagle
22-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Am I missing something here - why is this thread saying he's turned down a new contract when it seems he hasn't been offered one yet?

All of which seems to be mildly reassuring.

GreatGonzo
22-11-2004, 12:28 PM

Cos he turned one down at the end of last week so the thread title was changed seeing as he was offered one.

What people should look at is:
Arsenal - score from a cross
Liverpool - Cross for their only goal from open play
Newcastle - First goal coming from you guessed it a cross

Where did all these crosses come from? We need to sort out the left hand side to stop a goal a game coming from there! Clubs will have seeen that this is our weakness and that is why it is being exploited week in week out!

GloverUK
22-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz

RENEW

I agree.

one of the few to play in (START) every game. Hasn't let us down yet agaonst some very good opposition. Sign him up!!:p

Jim Cannon
22-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Cos he turned one down at the end of last week so the thread title was changed seeing as he was offered one.

Got it.

You are right about the crosses. He isn't a bad player but his pace lets him down too often, and on a few occasions on Saturday when he had made runs forward, only for the move to break down, he was too far upfield to get back, leaving us exposed. Also, he relies too much on the offside trap - we simply can't rely on linesmen getting it right all the time. I would still offer him a new contract, but look for another player to challenge him for the starting place.

Clapham Grand
22-11-2004, 01:20 PM
i'm in 2 minds about this - we really should be looking to strenghten here

suits_you
22-11-2004, 07:45 PM
yes, just incase we cant sign a new left back in january

JFBeagle
23-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Yes - but make the wages linked to the league we are playing in.

Popester
23-11-2004, 01:13 PM
No - give Borrowdale and Routledge improved contracts and sign Clement to replace Granville. I think he is a good player, but not good enough for this division.

Tommy Pickle
23-11-2004, 01:40 PM
and Hughes wants an extension.
Originally posted by Pikie Punisher
Give it to him, no argument.

Except wages, and length possibly?

Falco
23-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Popester
No - give Borrowdale and Routledge improved contracts and sign Clement to replace Granville. I think he is a good player, but not good enough for this division.

Like many on here, I am in two minds. Danny has had a good season and has not let himself down. But he does struggle against someone quick, hence why Shaun Wright-Phillips gave him a roasting v Man City. So even though I am basically a fan, the premier league is a tough place and sometimes you need to be ruthless and look to make improvements. But if we are to replace him, we need to get someone significantly better: Clement is not significantly better, he too struggles against pace and is a very similar player (in terms of attributes and quality).

adrenalin john
23-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Falco
Like many on here, I am in two minds. Danny has had a good season and has not let himself down. But he does struggle against someone quick, hence why Shaun Wright-Phillips gave him a roasting v Man City. So even though I am basically a fan, the premier league is a tough place and sometimes you need to be ruthless and look to make improvements. But if we are to replace him, we need to get someone significantly better: Clement is not significantly better, he too struggles against pace and is a very similar player (in terms of attributes and quality).

For gods sake shaun wright Phillips has manged to beat pretty much every defender he has come up against.

Malakite
23-11-2004, 03:18 PM
with a bit of luck we will OxO him and not bother...he has been very poor this season IMHO even though he was very good last..perhaps he just cannot make the step up? Boyce looks better..we just need competition for him if he is to stay....

NO1FAN
23-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Popester

Good shout

eagle eyes
24-11-2004, 10:44 PM
team i think thay palace should hang on to him for him for a while he's a jem

zonin2000
24-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Granville's a tricky one.

He'll be on a fat pre-ITV collapse contract, and he'll want at least the same, if not more, now. But we'd want to put him in line with players such as Boyce and Popo. If he demands too much, there's no point offering it to him. He's limited as a Premiership full-back, and he's (probably) not going to improve significantly over the next couple of years.

If he wants to stay on our terms, then fine. Otherwise it's up to him to lower his demands, or look elsewhere.

zonin2000
24-11-2004, 10:50 PM
And I don't mean that as a reflection on Danny's playing contribution, as much as I do with regard to the fact that he'll be used to taking home a large pay-packet, and may have mortgages and other debts to keep on repaying at the same rate, which is why he'd be holding out for a similar deal.

And that is possibly the longest, and worst, sentence ever :eek:.

imashed
24-11-2004, 10:50 PM
it will may then see how the land lies

Jim Cannon
24-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000

If he wants to stay on our terms, then fine. Otherwise it's up to him to lower his demands, or look elsewhere.

And with respect to the player, where the f***ing hell does he think he's going to get big money from? He is nearly 30 and at best an average player. Can't see any current premiership clubs taking him, so at best he'll get a move to a promoted team this summer. Palace would be crazy to be held to ransom by a player who could be easily replaced.

Jay_Palace
24-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000

He'll be on a fat pre-ITV collapse contract, and he'll want at least the same, if not more, now. But we'd want to put him in line with players such as Boyce and Popo. If he demands too much, there's no point offering it to him. He's limited as a Premiership full-back, and he's (probably) not going to improve significantly over the next couple of years.

Granville's contract is not so much fat as obese. He is reportedly on over 12k a week, which is far more than his ability warrants, IMHO.

If he wants to stay then all well and good, but he is certainly not irreplaceable and we should hold firm on our offer to him.

ANDYEAGLE
25-11-2004, 12:48 AM
12k a week who ever told you that must have had a few.

chelmsfordeagle
25-11-2004, 01:20 AM

What people should look at is:
Arsenal - score from a cross
Liverpool - Cross for their only goal from open play
Newcastle - First goal coming from you guessed it a cross

Where did all these crosses come from? We need to sort out the left hand side to stop a goal a game coming from there! Clubs will have seeen that this is our weakness and that is why it is being exploited week in week out!

the clubs you mention are all in the top 30 clubs in the world and their players can score against the very best. Maybe LB is an area we can strengthen but I think it's harsh to critisize for goals against these teams. Plus wasn't it Kollka who was at fault against liverpool?

Sussex Eagle
25-11-2004, 01:27 AM
Apparently DG has now made 100 Palace appearances (with 7 goals scored) - congrats to him on that.

pete eagle
25-11-2004, 01:45 AM
Kolkka was at fault against Liverpool and Arsenal, both times losing track of his man. Newcastle's goal looked distinctly like Bellamy running at Popovic, not Granville.

Danny has played well this season, he was part of our revival last season and has continued that good form into this season. If Dowie wants him to stay then that's good enough for me. As far as money goes, I think danny would know that he wouldn't be highly in demand if he were to leave this summer, but he doesn't want to let Palace completely rip the piss in terms of a wage cut.

BUNGLE
27-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
Kolkka was at fault against Liverpool and Arsenal, both times losing track of his man. Newcastle's goal looked distinctly like Bellamy running at Popovic, not Granville.

The reason Bellamy got to run outside of popovic wa sbecause of the space where a certain Mr Granville should have been, he even arrive lates and pulls out of a challenge through fear of bringing him down.

Granville can talk and running jump, I wouldn't renew his contract anyway let alone improve it.

wilton days
28-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Not a millwall fan jim , not missed a game home or away this season, and what ive seen of both danny g and wayne not so sooper rout i dont think they are good enough for the first team, rout gives the ball away all too easily and granville only has one foot and one direction hoof it straight up the line , just giving my opinion like anyone else got a problem with that?

Shipp Ahoy!
28-11-2004, 01:33 AM
Sorry don't rate Danny at this level, not anymore. He shows his ability, but its an outdated ability. A few years ago he would have still had it but these days its beyond him.

BaldEagle96
28-11-2004, 10:28 AM
He is the weakest link and as such we need to stengthen that position. Keep Gary B as back up and bring in someone new in January in my opinion.

Iain Dowie
28-11-2004, 10:41 AM
I cannot belive 80% of you want Granville to leave,he's fantastic considering his age,he does good tracking,puts in good passes and tackles.I wouldn't replace him and sign him up to a new contract,.

BaldEagle96
28-11-2004, 12:18 PM
The poll shows only 30% want him NOT to be offered a new contracxt by the way ID!!

Spender
28-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Offer him a new one year contract on same wages as someone like Kollka. Anyone know how much that is (7k a week ?).

If he does not accept then so be it.

sandfields
28-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Not a millwall fan jim , not missed a game home or away this season, and what ive seen of both danny g and wayne not so sooper rout i dont think they are good enough for the first team, rout gives the ball away all too easily and granville only has one foot and one direction hoof it straight up the line , just giving my opinion like anyone else got a problem with that?

your only a palace fan when you buy your own ticket and not nick roys:D :D :D

wilton days
28-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Got me own lol,and i aint going there with that one ok, so is this to be another one with insults or what??

Brixton Exile 2
28-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Must be,doesnt know the first thing about Football.
Routledge a toss pot ?

KungFuCharlie
28-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Crosses from our left back position resulted in goals against Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool, and by sounds of it Southampton.

Give him a new contract, stick him in the reserves, but for god's sake replace him.

Brixton Exile 2
29-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by KungFuCharlie
Crosses from our left back position resulted in goals against Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool, and by sounds of it Southampton.

Give him a new contract, stick him in the reserves, but for god's sake replace him.
Another Millwall Fan ?

Twiggy
29-11-2004, 06:03 PM
I just think that if palace are looking to improve the first team that this is one area that we could possibly be looking at. If not then as on another thread "where would we look to strengthen the team".....if we cannot improve the team then why are we near the bottom of the table?

Popester
29-11-2004, 06:17 PM
But we'd want to put him in line with players such as Boyce and Popo.

Which one Zonin?

Popps is an established international who is club captain and recently renewed his contract. Boyce was signed from a Division 2 club, presumably as a squad player (back-up for Butts). Their salaries are likely to be 000s apart per week.

Granville was responsible in part for Southampton's 1st goal. We should be replacing him with someone better if we stay up. To me, there seems little point in renewing his contract before the end of the season as we dont know what league we will be in and who we can get to replace him. If we stay up, there is little doubt that we could attract players of better quality than Granville to the club.

Gerry from Sussex
30-11-2004, 10:53 PM
DG has improved a lot but his best isn't good enough so I'd like to see him go.

zonin2000
08-12-2004, 11:30 AM
I think opinion of this man has taken a sharp downturn since Sunday.

GSG cpfc
08-12-2004, 07:34 PM
No. He has been crap all season.

benrothberg
08-12-2004, 08:59 PM
I hope I am not the only one who thinks this, but Danny G has developed superbly over the past year, and I feel he is an integral part of our defence. We would be mugs not to offer him a competitive contract to keep him, after all, who could we realistically sign to replace him? Gary Borrowdale is on his way to becoming more of a prospect, but he is too inexperienced, and apart from a couple of exceptions, our shopping spree in the summer did not go so well. I think we need to retain the players we have.

By the way...what do you make of Redknapp going to Southampton. Warfare on the south coast?!!

bern5161
08-12-2004, 09:18 PM
who could we realistically sign to replace him?

My old Granny.

nomad
08-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by benrothberg
I hope I am not the only one who thinks this, but Danny G has developed superbly over the past year, and I feel he is an integral part of our defence. We would be mugs not to offer him a competitive contract to keep him, after all, who could we realistically sign to replace him? Gary Borrowdale is on his way to becoming more of a prospect, but he is too inexperienced, and apart from a couple of exceptions, our shopping spree in the summer did not go so well. I think we need to retain the players we have.

Tell me that this is some sort of wind up? "Danny Granville has developed superbly over the past year". Have you been to Selhurst Park recently? The latest example of his incompetence and lack of football brain was against Charlton when with only seconds remaining, instead of pushing the Charlton player wide, he lets him cut inside him and score. Nice one Danny. The latest in a caltalogue of woeful defending. You are the weakest link, goodbye.

palacemad1
11-12-2004, 08:59 PM
i say let him go div 1 player makes to many mistakes

75points
11-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Dani G has gone down hill in last 4/5 games but for first 10 or so played far better than expected - Palace should only play with one winger - left side needs more defensive cover .

glaziers fan
12-12-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by 75points
Dani G has gone down hill in last 4/5 games but for first 10 or so played far better than expected - Palace should only play with one winger - left side needs more defensive cover .

Or we could get a new left-back so that it didn't?

Ruskin Old Boy
12-12-2004, 04:48 PM
A year ago he wasn't in the first team - Kember didn't rate him so wouldn't play him. Then ID was appointed and look what happened - he did a great job last season and despite the moaners on here ID still rates him. His game always suffers when Kolkka is substituted.

I.Flyer
12-12-2004, 08:42 PM
I think Danny Granville gets a very unfair bad press from Palace fans. It could be that DG wont be appreciated until it is too late.

I think he is judged on the amount of money he earns rather than his abilities on the pitch which is unfair. This is/was all about timing. I do agree that his wages should be brought into line with others in the squad and if he can't accept that then he should look elsewhere.

I hope he stays though.

pedro
12-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Or we could get a new left-back so that it didn't?
We need both as neither are good enough but left midfield is more of a priority.