PDA

View Full Version : Hughsie Contract?

LP
17-11-2004, 12:05 PM
The thread about Danny Granville got me thinking about this situation. Hughes was only offered a 1 year contract in the summer which led to a few eyebrows being raised, but I've since got the impression that this would be extended if he performed this season. Given his good displays I just wondered if this extension had clicked in yet? I feel he definately deserves an improved deal.

Webb
17-11-2004, 12:08 PM
I think he gets an extension if he plays a certain amount of games, injury withstanding.

etu
17-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Yup, thats what I read as well - anyone know how many games?

jazman
17-11-2004, 12:23 PM
I am sure that he would be offered a new contract even if we went down but agree that one year contract was a good idea. I beleive Aki and Popo only got two year contacts - am I right?

Pezzadoner
17-11-2004, 12:37 PM
I heard from a friend that its' 20 games in the prem that will trigger the contract renewal. If anybody deserves it he does! IMO he was the part that made us tick all last year(when not suspended or inj) and surely runner up for player of the season.

gold76
17-11-2004, 12:56 PM
He's definatly good for another year. Hughes & Aki partnership in midfield was as solid as anything in Div 1 last season & is crucial to our hopes of survival this season imo.

nottsunieagle
17-11-2004, 01:02 PM
yeah i think its 20 games to trigger the extension. aki and popo both signed two-year deals, and i firmly believe that aki has done enough already to be signed on for longer!

Jay_Palace
17-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by gold76
He's definatly good for another year. Hughes & Aki partnership in midfield was as solid as anything in Div 1 last season & is crucial to our hopes of survival this season imo.

Agreed.

Jasper
17-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Barring injury Hughes will make 20 apps easily. The transformation in the team since him and Watson came into the team has been incredible. Hall and Aki did not work as a midfield partnership but have been outstanding since being allowed to play in their favoured role's

Super Mabbutt
18-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Contract should be no problem unless someone decides to play silly buggers and leave him out just before the clause is activated. (I'm playing devil's advocate before anyone says anything)

nottsunieagle
19-11-2004, 02:45 PM
he wants that clause removed, understandably!

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=238881&cpid=8&CLID=31&lid=&title=Hughes+wants+contract+talks

Asterisk
19-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Good man. He always says the right things about his contract. None of this "just concentrating on my football" "see whats put on the table" rubbish. Obviously we don't know what is said behind closed doors, but isn't it nice to hear a player say "I want to finish my career at Palace" "I want to sign a contract..... Huuuuggghhheeeessiieee!!!!!!

Ruskin Old Boy
19-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Story was lifted from today's Croydon Advertiser

Shipp Ahoy!
19-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Give the man a new contract!

c_block_lad
19-11-2004, 04:20 PM
If Hughes is not offered a new contract it will show a serious lack of ambition from this football club.

BLUE BOY
19-11-2004, 04:23 PM
He should be offered a 1 year extension, The guy deserves it imo.

markd
19-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Yes people like ID have been instrumental in the development of Ben Watson, but who is his hero...of course the Savage beater, and ledgend, Hughsie. we got 2 for 1 there !

He will easily trigger the 20 game scenario (baring injury), but like everybody else it seems, I want to see the clause removed and let him finish his career here.He can't be on that much, but SJ is a shrewd businessman, maybe Alex might soften him up !

glaziers fan
20-11-2004, 08:30 PM
He shouldn't have the clause removed. I thought we should have offered him a 2yr contract, but there's nothing in it for us to remove the clause now. He will trigger the extension if he plays well enough and stays injury-free. And we won't want him if he doesn't.

ANDYEAGLE
20-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
He shouldn't have the clause removed. I thought we should have offered him a 2yr contract, but there's nothing in it for us to remove the clause now. He will trigger the extension if he plays well enough and stays injury-free. And we won't want him if he doesn't.

Is that because he did not play great today? We should give him the deal he deserves for the great performances he has put in now. He would probably get the chance to negotiate in Jan with another club if he so wished on his present contract.