PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Harding

DaveTuttles
18-11-2004, 12:33 PM
Gers eyeing Seagull
by Simon Fudge - Last Updated 18 Nov 2004

Daniel Harding

Rangers:

Brighton & Hove AlbionRangers are thought to be interested in Brighton & Hove Albion defender Daniel Harding.

The Old Firm giants may look to lure the England Under-21 international to Ibrox in January's transfer window, with Gers boss Alex McLeish reportedly monitoring the progress of the promising left back.

The Seagulls are keen to extend the 20-year-old's contract with the English Championship club, but with Harding hesitating on putting pen-to-paper, the South Coast club might consider selling the defender during the transfer window.

Brighton boss Mark McGhee believes Harding has the ability to become a proven talent with a club like Rangers in the future.

"Harding is a guy who has maybe played about 35 first team games at the minute and who has broken through on the international scene with the England Under-21s," McGhee said.

"He is tall, very quick and a good solid defender. He is at his best as a left back in a four-man defence.

"We know there is interest there from a number of clubs and we are trying very hard indeed to secure him on a longer contract at Brighton.

"Unfortunately, Daniel isn't keen to do that at this stage and that might well mean we have to sell him in January.

"I don't think he is a Rangers player at this stage, but he has the potential to reach the top level.

"I'm convinced he'll make the grade and it's all about experience and learning the game at this stage of his career."

Any thoughts on this as a potential relacement for DG.

El Aguila
18-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Is this journalist a regular correspondent on things Brighton? If so I think he should form a society with Kerry Packer.

Fatman
18-11-2004, 12:44 PM
who cares??

Shoreditch CPFC
18-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Fatman
who cares??

Well we do if he is a decent left back and we are likely to try and bring one in.

Gosling
18-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila
Is this journalist a regular correspondent on things Brighton? If so I think he should form a society with Kerry Packer.

Fudge/Packer PR

:D

paf
18-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Simon Fudge !!! Brilliant !!

Jay_Palace
18-11-2004, 12:57 PM
What's wrontg with Borrowdale?

I'm sure that he is at least as talented as this guy.

f we are to replace Granners, then we need to do so with a proven left back.

OneSize
18-11-2004, 01:01 PM
we were linked with a bid for this guy before the window closed. could be worth a look.

Shoreditch CPFC
18-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
I'm sure that he is at least as talented as this guy.

Really, have you been monitoring his progress for some time then ? What do you see as his main strengths and weaknesses vs Borrowdale ? Why do you think Peter Taylor is picking him for the under 21s ahead of Borrowdale ?

lauren_of_hove
Borrowdale is a more talented player than Harding.

jazman
Maybe I am missing something here but does that report say that the Seaweed are scouting their own player?

Jay_Palace
18-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Shoreditch CPFC
Really, have you been monitoring his progress for some time then ? What do you see as his main strengths and weaknesses vs Borrowdale ? Why do you think Peter Taylor is picking him for the under 21s ahead of Borrowdale ?

Borrowdale is a regular for the England under 19's, where he has been a consistently good performer. He was also given a run out in our first team last season (before Granville came back into the fold) and looked to be an excellent little player.

My point is why should we force Borrowdale further down the pecking order, just to accomodate a player who is by all accounts, very similar? We should be looking to cultivate our own youth policy.

If Borrowdale got a chance in the first team at Palace (which he may well do at some point) then he would be in the under 21's, no question.

Anyway, do you have a problem with me expressing my opinion?

Fatman
18-11-2004, 01:28 PM
not good enough

Shoreditch CPFC
18-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace

Anyway, do you have a problem with me expressing my opinion?

Of course not. You just said you were sure he was no better than Borrowdale and I was inviting for you to explain why, which you still haven't done by the way. Have you seen him play at all ?

eagles #1
18-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Dont like to burst the bubble but Brighton fans think this guy is absouloute cack and cant believe he's getting the interest he is!

lauren_of_hove
18-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
Dont like to burst the bubble but Brighton fans think this guy is absouloute cack and cant believe he's getting the interest he is!

This seems to be the general feeling amongst my Seaweed friends. The majority of them have seen Borrowdale play at some point and have been impressed with him.

eagles #1
18-11-2004, 01:45 PM
http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39619

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39616

They really dont think he's very good!

Jay_Palace
18-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Shoreditch CPFC
Of course not. You just said you were sure he was no better than Borrowdale and I was inviting for you to explain why, which you still haven't done by the way. Have you seen him play at all ?

Yes I have, and also know a Brighton fan who thinks that he is decidedly average.

Knowing what I do about Borrowdale, I think that he's a better prospect.

DaveTuttles
18-11-2004, 01:48 PM
So were a bigger club than Rangers and have an even better scouting system in place. This seems to be the agreed conclusion then?

Dont think I'll bother next time.

STEVECPFC
18-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Both Granville and Borrowdale are out of contract, next summer, so who knows what might happen? Clement (WBA) for Palace in January

18mcpalace
18-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Ever since he was 15 or 16, I have heard exceptional reports about Daniel Harding. Personally I have seen very little of him myself, but surely there would be no harm in the club running the rule over him. Particularly in an area where I am not certain we have strength & depth.

GreatGonzo
18-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Borrowdale is a year younger. If he was playing 1st team football in the championship he wold be kncoking on the door for the 21s.

Bring in a quality replacement for Granville, that will give us 3 left backs till the end of the season so we can loan Gary to a championship club for experience!

arussell
18-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Gary Borrowdale deserves his chance with us. Hopefully Dowie will soon be tieing him to a long term contract.

Celestial Empire
18-11-2004, 07:05 PM
If a young English player moves to a Scottish club, you can be sure that he has no ambition, and is settling for a less demanding life (Sutton).
Same goes for managers Mr O'Neill.

Jay_Palace
19-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
If a young English player moves to a Scottish club, you can be sure that he has no ambition, and is settling for a less demanding life (Sutton).

Very true.

chelmsfordeagle
24-11-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire

I'd say O'Neill has a more demanding time at Celtic than he did at Leicester. At Leicester he was in a no lose situation at Celtic he is expected to beat Rangers evertime and bringing European trophies to a club which doesn't have the resources to compete with the top european clubs