PDA

View Full Version : Powell Off On Loan

arussell
18-11-2004, 07:30 PM
The BBC are reporting that Darren Powell is set to sign on loan for (surprisingly) West Ham on Friday morning.

No news on how long - but I'd assume it's a month initially with an option to go to three.

Pardew obviously has given up on Melville and Brevett.

And I;m sure Coppell at Reading will be miffed with him as well, as a centre back is exactly what they're after right now.

davematt
18-11-2004, 07:37 PM
West Ham need our back up centre backs!!!

LOVE IT!:D

Calder2
18-11-2004, 07:37 PM
They need cover, as they lost Davenport (sp?) earlier in the week.

JamieBcpfc
18-11-2004, 07:39 PM
and Mackay is injured as well

Eagle
18-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Had a feeling he would go to Reading after seeing Steve Coppell at the reserve game the other night against Watford.

I would rather see Powell only go on loan cos i do feel he is better than Hudson and may need him later on in the season.

However, as someone said, isnt it great to see West ham needing help from us!

kolinkins
18-11-2004, 08:24 PM
1 month, with view to a 300k permanent move.

kolinkins
18-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Eagle
I would rather see Powell only go on loan cos i do feel he is better than Hudson and may need him later on in the season.

Recent selections show Hall and Popa to be first choice, Serondo to be next in line, followed by Boyce as a centre back, and then Hudson, even Leggy. Powell frankly doesnt feature.

SpikeyMatt
18-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Does this mean that Hall is fit, we wouldn't let go of a central defender when they're at a premium for us at the moment.

Just a thought.....

Who Cares?
18-11-2004, 09:07 PM
West Ham borrowing our 7th choice centre back...haha...ha ha

Can't wait to see my Hammers supporting mate...no stop it....

Webb
18-11-2004, 09:11 PM
If he goes, I'll wish him luck. Still think he could do a job for us though.

c_block_lad
18-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Powell set for Hammers loan move

Powell has struggled to establish himself in the Palace first team
Crystal Palace centre-half Darren Powell is set to complete a loan switch to West Ham on Friday morning.
Powell, 28, is expected to make his Hammers debut against Millwall at the New Den on Sunday.

The former Brentford defender has struggled to force his way into the Eagles first team this season.

And West Ham manager Alan Pardew is keen to strengthen his defence after Callum Davenport's loan spell at Upton Park was cut short by Tottenham.

1dougiefreedman
18-11-2004, 09:51 PM
i can't see why he has slipped so low in the pecking order, obviously the long injury and a couple of bad performances before the injury havent helped. But i still think he is a quality defender and either our second or third best (central defender).

eagles #1
18-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Damn, anywhere but hamsters, smallwall or the gayboys.

oh well, good luck Darren.

cpfc4ever
18-11-2004, 10:06 PM
GUTTED he is going there!

Shoreditch CPFC
18-11-2004, 10:06 PM
I hope they are paying 100% of the wages.

Good luck Darren & I hope you come back better for the experience.

Rog 007
18-11-2004, 10:09 PM
This is because Spurs recalled Davenport, Powell from pathetic is there on loan at present I think. How our Powell does well

Kirby
18-11-2004, 10:54 PM
I ******** love Darren Powell! :lux:

Really, really hope we keep him and he gets his chance in the first team squad. I really think he has the potential to be a top quality centre back. But who am I to argue with God? :angel:

hughff
18-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Good luck to him. Quite frankly, if he's going to figure in the first team this season he needs a loan spell somewhere to prove himself again. I think he'll be useful for the hammers too.

oz_da II
18-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Good luck to Powell...

The worst of luck to his new teammates.

chelmsfordeagle
19-11-2004, 02:24 AM
I'm not suprised by this, as someone else has said he's 7th choice CB. Hall, Sorondo, Popovic and boyce are our main men and both Hudson and Leigertwood are above him and have time to devlop further as they are younger. even looking at a worse case senario that we get relageted this season I think we'd be able to keep 4 of the 6 players above which in div 1 is enough.

I always thought of powell as a good div 1 CB. I hope he does well for them because he was always a committed player for us.

He along with black and Shipps are for me the 3 obvious players that Dowie can trim from the squad.

magician
19-11-2004, 05:47 AM
nice for him to get some 1st team action, still could do a job for us this season i'm positive about that .

Benzhiyi
19-11-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by arussell
Pardew obviously has given up on Melville and Brevett.

Brevett's an out and out left back Al. Surprised at you!!

Shows how far we've come since the Play-off final when West Ham want to loan our sixth choice centre back. :)

Good luck Darren!

Ardent Eagle Forever
19-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Good luck Darren,

Clapham Grand
19-11-2004, 10:07 AM
It'll do him and the club good

arussell
19-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Brevett's an out and out left back Al. Surprised at you!!

I did know Ben ! - I was just generalising.

He's been sticking with playing Mullins at left back lately instead of him.

Sussex Eagle
19-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Recent selections show Hall and Popa to be first choice, Serondo to be next in line, followed by Boyce as a centre back, and then Hudson, even Leggy. Powell frankly doesnt feature.

Leigertwood is well ahead of Hudson in the pecking order, who has frankly been the worst player in the squad thus far this season. (Well, him or Speroni)

Amusing that they are having to loan a player, without whom, they would probably be in the Premiership right now. Good luck to Darren, a shame for him to play such a big role in our promotion and quite likely never get on the pitch in the Premiership. But perhaps he can convince Dowie with his form in this loan?

daz_eagle
19-11-2004, 10:22 AM
hope dazza comes back, he's a lot better than hudson.

Tommy Pickle
19-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Might not go through now as it seems the Hammers have just signed Taricco from Spurs.

nookiebear
19-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Don't sell Powell :(

st albans
19-11-2004, 12:01 PM
hammers have got taricco (laugh, ******** hate him), so it may not go through, although to be honest apart from reserve team games i can't see him playing much this season. i personally like him, thought he did well in the 3 carling cup games he played, maybe lost a little of his pace since last seasons injury probs, but can't see how he will get ahead of hall, poppa, sorondo, mikele, boyce (in centre with butts on right), hudson

Calder2
19-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by st albans
hammers have got taricco (laugh, ******** hate him), so it may not go through, although to be honest apart from reserve team games i can't see him playing much this season. i personally like him, thought he did well in the 3 carling cup games he played, maybe lost a little of his pace since last seasons injury probs, but can't see how he will get ahead of hall, poppa, sorondo, mikele, boyce (in centre with butts on right), hudson

Beat me to it :)

Son of Ron
19-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Mullins has a suspension upcoming aswell though to add to their woes.

Whereever Powell ends up or if he stays at Palace he'll always have a place in our hearts with that goal at Sunderland, but it might be best for all concerned for him to move on - if he has slipped that far down our pecking order.

Kirby
19-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by arussell
He's been sticking with playing Mullins at left back lately instead of him.

Love it! :D :lux:

arussell
19-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Now that they've signed Tarrico from Spurs on a free today - where will Mullins play ??

And he STILL picks Repka ! :D

SpikeyMatt
19-11-2004, 06:03 PM
POWELL GOES ON LOAN

Darren Powell has joined West Ham United in a one month loan deal and he will go straight into the Hammers' squad for their game against Millwall on Sunday.

The 28-year-old central defender scored a last minute equalising goal at the Stadium of Light to send the play-off semi-final into extra time but this season he has only made three appearances after suffering a series of injuries over the last few months.

West Ham United manager Alan Pardew says "On Powell, he added: "You need a big centre-half in this division and Darren at 6ft 3ins is certainly that. He's a real warrior, another player with a lot of character, and hopefully we can complete his signing.

"I know him from my early days at Reading, and I even played Sunday League football with him towards the end of my career. Although, he's suffered with injuries Darren is now fit again, and if he joins I'm confident he'll do a very good job for West Ham United."

The signing of Powell has come only hours after the arrival of full-back Mauricio Tarrico from Tottenham Hotspur on a free transfer.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

SpikeyMatt
19-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Scratch that, Tarrico's gone to West Ham

I had my heart in my mouth then

eagles #1
19-11-2004, 06:14 PM
LOL!!!

100% Palace
19-11-2004, 06:16 PM
I take it he will be partnering Sheringham up front tomorrow? Or maybe on the wing?

Phil's Barber
19-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 100% Palace
I take it he will be partnering Sheringham up front tomorrow? Or maybe on the wing?

:D
Or in goal maybe!

Kevan Woz Awful
19-11-2004, 06:33 PM
I liked Pardews comment about Tarrico;
"He's a proper West Ham player"
I assume he's referring to him being a cheating scumbag?

Batsta
19-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful

??

What?

Div1 standard :)

maestro
19-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Suprised we let him go at the moment with Hall touch and go and sorondo out

Gooders
19-11-2004, 06:41 PM
I liked Pardews comment about Tarrico;

All they need now is a proper West Ham manager.

Pikie Punisher
19-11-2004, 06:46 PM

Yes, a dirty ba5tard.

gcwhite
19-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
All they need now is a proper West Ham manager.

Thank god we didn't get Pardew.

nomad
19-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by maestro
Suprised we let him go at the moment with Hall touch and go and sorondo out

Not surprised at all. Ought to sell him as soon as we get the chance, We have Popo, Hudson, Boyce and Leigertwood, any of whom are better than Powell. Sorry, I know we owe him a huge debt for his goal against Sunderland, but he is just not Prem quality and never will be. Added to which, he is very injury prone.

Gollum
19-11-2004, 07:46 PM
And Powell's contract runs out in the summer. A succesful trial and sale for @300k next month would be decent business.

Shipp Ahoy!
19-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Hardly, I rate Powell very highly and to let him go would be very silly! Unless we get an amzingly player in as a replacement.

nomad
19-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
Hardly, I rate Powell very highly and to let him go would be very silly! Unless we get an amzingly player in as a replacement.

Eberybody is entitled to their opinion but you are plainly wrong!!!! There is nothing to support the theory that he is Prem class and I think he will even struggle in the Championship. Cannot see the loan at West Ham lasting long before he is back at Palace. Sell him to Reading and pocket the cash.

Benzhiyi
19-11-2004, 10:26 PM

Whether you rate him highly or not, we do not need six centre backs on decent money.

kolinkins
19-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Whether you rate him highly or not, we do not need six centre backs on decent money.

Popa
Hall
Sorondo
Boyce
Hudson
Leggy

Thats the 6 - Powell is the 7th!

Added to this, Kit, Togwell, Granville and Borrowdale can in a desperate situation fill in there. At least 6 of the above are ahead of him in the pecking order. Good move all round me thinks.

andy_cpfc
19-11-2004, 11:56 PM
I like Darren Powell, but unfortuantely I do not see a future for him at this current time. Hope he does well but also hope that West Ham dont get promoted at the same time

The Omen
20-11-2004, 03:56 AM
Little bit of a shame when you consider how happy he was scoring the winner at the SOL.

Good luck Powell! If it wasn't for injuries, I'm sure you could have made it here.

Randomly Random
22-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Gollum
And Powell's contract runs out in the summer. A succesful trial and sale for @300k next month would be decent business.

Agreed!

Malakite
23-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Yup, I think if Powell OxO's together with Tommy and Carvery (Derry) it means that our wage bill is getting less and less which can never be a bad thing right?

st albans
23-11-2004, 03:53 PM
i'm all for it

Gosling
23-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Good luck, Darren Powell! (I always rated him...)

Sleeping Giant
28-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
Don't sell Powell :(

I wouldn't want Powell to go. I'm really hacked off that we bought Hudson who is absolutely no improvement. A pointless signing in my view. Powell is a "winner". He just has something, When he came on at Cardiff I immediately felt confident we were going to do it. Dowie has said himself that he doesnt really know where Powell is in the pecking order. If we did go down he'd be vital next year when Hall leaves for another Premiership side. Does anyone seriously think he isn't as good as Popovic at the moment?, he'd panic less than Mikele and is better than Boyce in the centre from what i've seen so far. RE-SIGN POWELL PLEASE PALACE. There are many players that can go before him.

Celestial Empire
28-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Sleeping Giant
I'm really hacked off that we bought Hudson who is absolutely no improvement. A pointless signing in my view.

I agree, and an expensive one. Hope ID is making it clear to Hudson that his time is running out. We can't afford to have expensive signings in the reserves, especially when they don't want/can't be assed/are incapable of coming up to Prem scratch.

Oisin
28-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Powell wasn't good enough a ball player for Dowie, no one doubts hid defending. He scored yesterday.

eagles #1
28-11-2004, 09:01 PM
I believe Powell is a better defender that Popo. In all aspects infact.

Chris Finch
28-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
I believe Powell is a better defender that Popo. In all aspects infact.

Popovic has international experience and just a lot more general experience of playing against "better" players. If we were in the championship now I bet Powell would be playing, fortunately we are not and he simply can't/won't get a chance to cut it in the premiership.There are only 38 games and a good 10 or so have already gone.

There is no room for sentiment in top flight football today.
It is dog eat dog

Chester 76
28-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Powell is a moderate championship player,if he had played instead of Hudson last season we would have been playing Watford yesterday.

eagles #1
28-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Chris Finch
Popovic has international experience and just a lot more general experience of playing against "better" players. If we were in the championship now I bet Powell would be playing, fortunately we are not and he simply can't/won't get a chance to cut it in the premiership.There are only 38 games and a good 10 or so have already gone.

There is no room for sentiment in top flight football today.
It is dog eat dog Are you saying you'd rather have Popo in the team than Powell? If you want a quick, strong, good in the air and tackle kind of player Powell's your man?? Maybe i see it differently but id personally prefer Powell partnering Hall at the back.

cantspell
28-11-2004, 11:07 PM
could have done with him yesterday when that beanpole came on

arussell
28-11-2004, 11:19 PM
?

Whilst I like Powell, I fail to see any logic in that !

And Hall is our tallest defender anyway.

Celestial Empire
29-11-2004, 05:28 PM
I wonder who Hall prefers to play with.

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
29-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire

Too easy to make a dirty comment on this........... :rolleyes:

smileysmith
01-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Would rather be rid of Hudson, or to be honest Popa than Darren Powell. :(

etu
01-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire

I believe DaddyLong said that when he met God, God had indicated Sorondo and Hall have a very good partnership.

Stellavista
01-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by etu
I believe DaddyLong said that when he met God, God had indicated Sorondo and Hall have a very good partnership.

They would be my first choice - if only Sorondo could get off the physio's table.....

Shipp Ahoy!
01-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Chester 76
Powell is a moderate championship player,if he had played instead of Hudson last season we would have been playing Watford yesterday.

Thank god you are not a Palace scout!

Jay_Palace
01-12-2004, 04:12 PM
I rate Powell as a player, but apart from his goal against Sunderland (ok, it was bloody briliant!) he has done little to impress Dowie, as he has been perpetually injured.

RDSdaEAGLE
01-12-2004, 04:13 PM
One big difference.

Dowie works towards the future. Hudson has years ahead of him in which he can improve. Powell doesn't have as many.

Hudson will be on less money than Powell, and therefor it'd be a cheaper option to keep him than to offer Powell another contract.

In footballing terms, there's little difference, but we have to be realistic. Besides, Dowie has said that he wants to assess whether to keep him following the loan spell, as he hasn't seen Darren play much first team football.

kiralyspyjamas
01-12-2004, 04:26 PM
He's scored a couple of gols since going to West Ham. Good Luck to Him. We owe it all to him, if he hadn't scored at Sunderland, we might not be here.

Shipp Ahoy!
01-12-2004, 04:39 PM
WE WOULDNT BE HERE!

RDSdaEAGLE
01-12-2004, 04:51 PM
WE WOULDNT BE HERE!

The same can be said for Shaun Derry, Neil Shipperley and Tommy Black.

What's your point?

LP
02-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
One big difference.

Dowie works towards the future. Hudson has years ahead of him in which he can improve. Powell doesn't have as many.

Hudson will be on less money than Powell, and therefor it'd be a cheaper option to keep him than to offer Powell another contract.

In footballing terms, there's little difference, but we have to be realistic. Besides, Dowie has said that he wants to assess whether to keep him following the loan spell, as he hasn't seen Darren play much first team football.

Good point, I'd say that Powell is currently better than Hudson, but looking to the long term it perhaps makes more sense to keep Hudson as a developing player and acknowledge that Powell's at an age when he needs regular first team football. Lets face it both players are currently some way off even being our back up centre halves right now and we have Sornodo back soon as well. Clearly though Hudson needs to make progress, otherwise he'll be shown the door soon as well.

Reps AJ
02-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by LP
Clearly though Hudson needs to make progress, otherwise he'll be shown the door soon as well.

Yeah, he's been at the club (permanently) for 4 months now and he's not broken into the England squad. Get rid of the useless tosser!

Sussex Eagle
02-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Just wanted to say good luck to Darren, as it's obviously very unlikely he'll ever play in Red & Blue again. He's already an immortal for the Stadium of Light, and for my money he's a fair bit better than Hudson atm - but, as RDS said, Hudson has a lot more time to improve - and we have 4 or 5 more CB's who are better than Darren. Best of luck with the 'ammers Darren - move to a proper club as soon as possible!

Malakite
02-12-2004, 04:25 PM
I rate him so much, and of course, I would never question 'The Messiah' about team selection, as lets face it, he MUST see things during training etc that we obviously do not, however its very frustrating to think that he has never really seen Tommy Black or Powell play in the first team at all :(

Riccardo
03-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Gutted that Darren has gone.

I so want him to be a Palace hero....then again, that Sunderland goal did help towards that acolade quite a bit.

trub3101
03-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Glad to see I am not the only one gutted that Powelly might not return.
What a hero! And he wants to stay!

http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk/0400crystalpalace/0100news/

Malakite
06-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Just read that powell says he wants to fight for his place in the team, and seeing as he is doing so well down at the Irons, I think thats great news!

smileysmith
06-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Please don't compare Tommy and Darren. Darren is a useful player ...

eagles #1
07-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Come home Darren! Id still prefer him to Popo but then im not Iain Dowie.

Stellavista
07-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
Come home Darren! Id still prefer him to Popo but then im not Iain Dowie.

So would I, but we seem to be in the minority.
If I had to chose three central defenders to definately stay, they'd be Hall, Sorondo, & Powell.

Ollie Ox
07-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Powell is a great player and a Palace hero who hasn't really done a lot wrong in my eyes.

cpfcben
07-12-2004, 12:51 PM
reading may well step into the fray............. watch this space.

cpfcben
07-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Reading may well step into the fray............. watch this space. Would love Darren to stay.

Malakite
07-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Ollie Ox
Powell is a great player and a Palace hero who hasn't really done a lot wrong in my eyes.

Ai gree, I think the same could be said for Tommy though, I mean how many times has Sir Dowie actually seen either play first team football? Like I said earlier, he MUST simply see things in training/reserves that we do not hense his decisions to leave them out?

Owngoal
09-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Just read something on a hammers site in interview with Powell, if true I would be surprised if he ever came back to us. What does 'hopefully there will be many more to come' mean to you?

Its a great stadium and the fans are tremendous, he exclaimed. I love playing in big occasions and for atmosphere Upton Park is really hard to beat. It was great to turn in a good performance in front of the home fans on my debut and hopefully there will be many more to come.

After his impressive home bow Darren put in another commanding display at the Stadium of Light, repelling a potent Sunderland attack and helping the Hammers to their first clean sheet away from home since the opening day of the season.

It was a really strong team performance at Sunderland, agreed Darren. It was important for us to build on the win at Watford, and we showed against Sunderland that we can produce good results away from home.

The team was going through a tough run when I arrived at the Club, but Ive been impressed by the way we have responded to the criticism. We showed tremendous character against Watford and then again at Sunderland, beating a team that had not lost at home all season.

Its important now to build on our good displays over the last couple of weeks. Were going into the Christmas games with a lot of confidence, so hopefully we can put together a good run of results and push ourselves up towards the automatic promotion places.

Sussex Eagle
09-12-2004, 09:15 AM
Probably a case of trying to keep both sets of fans happy. Said in another interview how he was desperate to get into the Palace side.

cpfc_spc1982
09-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Reps AJ
Yeah, he's been at the club (permanently) for 4 months now and he's not broken into the England squad. Get rid of the useless tosser!

if hes shown no potential at the level we wanna be at , why not?

LP
09-12-2004, 10:00 AM

Very droll...but he's been a dissapointment and we need to see improvement, otherwise what's the point in him being there? You either sink or swim at this level.

sydnsteve
09-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by nomad
Eberybody is entitled to their opinion but you are plainly wrong!!!! There is nothing to support the theory that he is Prem class and I think he will even struggle in the Championship. Cannot see the loan at West Ham lasting long before he is back at Palace. Sell him to Reading and pocket the cash.

And you are very clearly wrong, he has been outstanding since going to W Ham, and on what do you base the idea that he is not a Prem player when he has had no chance? I think he is a superb CB, and although we apparently have a plethora of them, Hudson is clearly not in the frame, and Sorrondo seems awfully injury prone. Selling him would be madness, but would see W Ham go up I expect.

Reps AJ
09-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by LP
You either sink or swim at this level.

In a word - b******s.

You try something, you make some mistakes, you do somethings right. You learn from your mistakes, you practice and you get better.This applies to everybody, doing anything, at whatever level.

Eventually, you come to a point where you aren't going to get any further but to suggest that a young player has reached this after a few months at a new club is complete rubbish.

trub3101
09-12-2004, 02:18 PM
I really, really, really hope that Powelly has gone to the Irons just to get match fit and they don't get offered the option to buy. I really do!!!! Really!!!

LP
09-12-2004, 02:47 PM
In a word - b******s.

You try something, you make some mistakes, you do somethings right. You learn from your mistakes, you practice and you get better.This applies to everybody, doing anything, at whatever level.

Eventually, you come to a point where you aren't going to get any further but to suggest that a young player has reached this after a few months at a new club is complete rubbish.

I wasn't suggesting that Hudson should be turfed out yet. If you read my earlier post you'll see that I back MH to stay ahead of Powell because he is young and can improve.