PDA

View Full Version : Darren Bent


zonin2000
30-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Reading through the icSouthlondon article about the collapse of the Derry transfer, the following quote from Jordan raised an eyebrow.

Ipswich wanted him on loan and were pleading poverty, but if they are so poor, why didn't they accept the 3 million they were offered for Darren Bent?

Which begs the question: did we offer 3m for the Ipswich forward? Or is Jordan refering to a bid from another club?

Bent is an excellent player!

Super Mabbutt
30-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Would be a good signing for us.

Jay_Palace
30-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Too similar in style to AJ and nowhere near as good. Another over hyped Ipswich kid, IMHO.

I think the Article was refering to when (Charlton?) bid 3 million for him.

zonin2000
30-11-2004, 08:09 PM
He would be a fantastic signing for us.

hughff
30-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Oh yeah, we need another striker.

Iain Dowie
30-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Yes we do,what if Ben,Hughsey or Aki get injured?

HarryTheMan
30-11-2004, 08:26 PM
how would a striker help if a centre midfielder gets injured?

forsells no1 fan
30-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by HarryTheMan
how would a striker help if a centre midfielder gets injured?


Cos the only option we have playing 4-5-1 is to play strikers in midfield!

nomad
30-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by hughff
Oh yeah, we need another striker.

So who have we got up front apart from AJ who is capable of succeeding in the Prem? Answer, absolutely nobody, at the moment. However, I don't think Darren Bent is the answer. Now, Marcus, that is another story, just a shame that circumstances dictated he had to go in the first place and with Everton in the form they are in, no chance of getting him back.

cpfc_spc1982
30-11-2004, 10:43 PM
i like him.

Gerry from Sussex
30-11-2004, 10:47 PM
If it was Marcus Bent I'd be getting excited. Shame we had to let him go in the first place

Jay_Palace
30-11-2004, 10:52 PM
I don't rate Darren Bent atall, he is nowhere near the standard of Ashton, who is who we should be looking at. he's young, powerful, excellent in the air, a good finisher and English. We could pick him up for a million, as his contract is near to expiry.

Failing that, I would love to see us get Ellington from Wigan. Unfortunately, I can't see Wigan being prepared to sell.

zonin2000
30-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
I don't rate Darren Bent atall, he is nowhere near the standard of Ashton, who is who we should be looking at. he's young, powerful, excellent in the air, a good finisher and English.

Darren Bent is all those things!

kolinkins
30-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Darren Bent would be perfect back-up for AJ. Shame it's unrealistic though.

christopher
30-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000
Darren Bent is all those things!


Quite.

zonin2000
30-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Darren Bent would be perfect back-up for AJ. Shame it's unrealistic though.

Pourquoi?

hughff
30-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Who do we have up front? Ask Liverpool. We scored against them twice without AJ. I'd rather we brought in another central midfieler and some left sided players.

Also, and far more significantly, if we're going to splash the cash on a new player, he needs to be someone who is significantly better than the current first team player. We should be spending to IMPROVE the side, not cover for the first name on the teamsheet.

arussell
01-12-2004, 12:04 AM
3 million for Bent was Charlton.

They've been sniffing around him since pre-season.

zonin2000
01-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Cool, question answered!

AJ8
01-12-2004, 12:43 AM
imagine aj, darren bent & ashton fighting for a place in the palace team... happy days

christopher
01-12-2004, 12:47 AM
Happy first division days.

cpfc_spc1982
01-12-2004, 02:11 AM
ashton if it is the case is out of contract come the summer should be bidded for , bent would be out of out price range i feel unless wayne goes.

Luke Harwood
01-12-2004, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by nomad
So who have we got up front apart from AJ who is capable of succeeding in the Prem?

Ventola.

Raoul Duke
01-12-2004, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
bent would be out of out price range i feel unless wayne goes.

Or a replacement for AJ :eek:

Cleon
01-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Darren Bent is an excellent player, although similar to Johnson but not as good. Personally I think Ashton would be the better shout.

Scoot
01-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
Ashton, who is who we should be looking at. he's young, powerful, excellent in the air, a good finisher and English.
IMVHO The perfect partner for AJ, get a top class midfielder in and go 442.

Aki Aki Aki
01-12-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Scoot
IMVHO The perfect partner for AJ, get a top class midfielder in and go 442.

I think Arneson of Spuz was watching Ashton last night. Get your check book out quickly SJ.

cpfc_spc1982
01-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Aki Aki Aki
I think Arneson of Spuz was watching Ashton last night. Get your check book out quickly SJ.

would have been impressed with his goal last night then.

cpfc_spc1982
01-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
We could pick him up for a million, as his contract is near to expiry.



his contract will have a year left next summer.

David of Kent
01-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Seems like SJ is talking about another club.

PhilD
01-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by arussell
3 million for Bent was Charlton.

They've been sniffing around him since pre-season.

Yeah - I thought Charlton's bid was quite well publicised.

eaglejez
01-12-2004, 09:27 AM
heard from an Ipswich mate that two 5m bids will be made in Jan for him (not from Palace though)

smileysmith
01-12-2004, 09:42 AM
All this talk of Ashton - we bid 2m for him in the summer - I'd love him to come to Selhurst too, but it does seem rather unlikely. Helgusson at Watford is my new hope ...

Radders
01-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Luke Harwood
Ventola.

Don't think they'll let him play with his walking frame.

davematt
01-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by smileysmith
All this talk of Ashton - we bid 2m for him in the summer - I'd love him to come to Selhurst too, but it does seem rather unlikely. Helgusson at Watford is my new hope ...

Ashton is a HUGE possibilty in January. He is out of contract and we could easily get him for 1-2 million.

cpfc_spc1982
01-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by davematt
Ashton is a HUGE possibilty in January. He is out of contract and we could easily get him for 1-2 million.

hes not out of contract this summer.

Clapham Grand
01-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Ashton would be a good signing

Celestial Empire
01-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Gradi was on Sky earlier, saying that he has told Ashton he would be better off moving in the Summer, "but obviously, if a big club came in with the right bid and the right proposal (1st team assurances ?), we might have to let him go in Jan".
Given Gradi's apparent 20 year grudge with Palace :rolleyes: I take it the 'big club' bit was to warn off ID. Lucky its not really down to Gradi then. Come on Dean, how about a small, tactical injury ?

Spurs could be a possibility, like Carrick, I'm sure Ashton/Gradi would be able to kid themselves that Spurs are a big club, and rumour is that they are already tired of Defoe and want rid of Kanoute.
Spurs - the career killers.:moo:

nomad
01-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Luke Harwood
Ventola.

Yes, if he was fit, but he never is. If he was regularly fit, he would be playing for Inter, not us, as that was the only reason he was loaned out.

Malakite
01-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Bent has been very consistent over the past couple of seasons no question.....I wonder if we have a bid lined up for him come January?..Fingers crossed aye? :)

Braders
01-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
Gradi was on Sky earlier, saying that he has told Ashton he would be better off moving in the Summer, "but obviously, if a big club came in with the right bid and the right proposal (1st team assurances ?), we might have to let him go in Jan".
Given Gradi's apparent 20 year grudge with Palace :rolleyes: I take it the 'big club' bit was to warn off ID. Lucky its not really down to Gradi then. Come on Dean, how about a small, tactical injury ?

Spurs could be a possibility, like Carrick, I'm sure Ashton/Gradi would be able to kid themselves that Spurs are a big club, and rumour is that they are already tired of Defoe and want rid of Kanoute.
Spurs - the career killers.:moo:

Good post,my thoughts exactly.:p

hernehilleagle
01-12-2004, 06:55 PM
He is a quality player - i would love it if we signed him. He is very exciting to watch - and an England-U21 international.

Freddy Kurz
01-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by eaglejez
heard from an Ipswich mate that two 5m bids will be made in Jan for him (not from Palace though)
Jordan mentioned recently that Ipswich had turned down a 3m bid for
Bent and then pleaded poverty!
Think he will be out of our price range.

Kirby
01-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Darren Bent would be a quality signing!

I think Jordan was referring to Charltons bid though.