PDA

View Full Version : Dean Ashton - 30 Scouts


GreatGonzo
01-12-2004, 12:58 PM
All over Sky Sports yesterday evening was teh fact there were 30 scouts at Gresty Road to watch the game with Millwall. Now i have no doubt that many will have been from Championship sides who are playing the 2 sides between now and the middle of January but teh vast majority must have been looking at players and top of that list must be Ashton.

Now we had a 2m offer for him rejected pre season, he is currently top scorer in the Championship and has 18 months left on his contract.

I assume we are still interested and were one of teh clubs represented last night but do we have a chance of signing what is a great prospect with teh likes of Tottenham, Man City and Everton also definately interested? (along with many more clubs)

Benzhiyi
01-12-2004, 01:01 PM
The problem is that Liverpool have a first option clause which would have to be purchased first. I believe it's in the region of 250k.

Given SJ's reluctance to pay extras on top of any transfer fee, that alone could be a stumbling block.

oz_da II
01-12-2004, 01:02 PM
He's been a great prospect for ages.

I hope someone signs him up.

I have money on Jason Roberts being the top goal scorer in the Fizzy Drink League.

eagles #1
01-12-2004, 01:02 PM
I personally dont think we can compete with the likes of Spurs, City, Charlton, Villa.

Would love him at Palace though.

Raf
01-12-2004, 01:04 PM
He'd quite possibly rather stay up north as well - e.g. Man City.

Cleon
01-12-2004, 01:06 PM
I think that Jordan would pay 250k to Liverpool if they had that as a clause. That's just a contractual clause that Liverpool have presumably 'bought' off Crewe at some point. It simply adds 250k to his market value, or it could be seen as simply being part of his market value. What Jordan objects to is paying for somebody who is actively working against him, which is not the case if the above is true.

John C
01-12-2004, 01:06 PM
30 scouts...well at least the attendance was increased

Icy
01-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Id rather we sign Nathan Ellington than Ashton.

Jay_Palace
01-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Raf
He'd quite possibly rather stay up north as well - e.g. Man City.

I can't see how Man City would be in a position to afford Ashton, judging by the size of the debt that they currently have.

Popester
01-12-2004, 01:17 PM
I dont think he'd come here because we are playing one up-front and we have several strikers on the books already. Everton are a much better shout - if Liverpool would let him go there of course.

Shipp Ahoy!
01-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Helguson!!!

GreatGonzo
01-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Surely 1st option means all Crewe need to do is say X are offering y are you prepared to offer that - job done.

Didn't Roma have a 3m 1st option on Owen? It means nothing.

Ashton would be a lot cheaper than Ellington, is scoring in a struggling side rather than top 6 side.

I think we might struggle to compete with other prem sides but if he talks with Dowie and his intentions are to play AJ and him up front he may see that as a very good option.

Icy
01-12-2004, 01:29 PM
He'd be roughly the same price as Ellington especially if 30 clubs are looking at him and they turned down 2M bids in the summer. Ellington would give us more options in terms of different attributes he'd bring to the team.

Asterisk
01-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Surely any player, with more than one Premiership club interested in him, is going to pick the team he thinks is most likely to stay up.

GreatGonzo
01-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Asterisk, it is never that simple though is it. Different players will look for different things.

He will be thinking about the money, the teams survival and his 1st team chances. Depending on which of these he puts in what order depend on where he is likely to go.

cpfc_spc1982
01-12-2004, 01:56 PM
sadly he will attract better clubs than us.

GreatGonzo
01-12-2004, 02:00 PM
cpfc_spc1982

Which clubs would offer him the same sort of 1st team opportunities we can if we changed back to 4-4-2 which i think is a bif possibility?

cpfc_spc1982
01-12-2004, 02:12 PM
whose to say we would revert back to a 4 4 2 we were hopeless before we had the 5 man midfield (or at least 3 central midfielders).

it would depend on out position in january - alot of those who have been reported to be looking at him are also down there so that might not rule us out - id also say alot of them would be able to offer him football - southampton , everton , man city , celtic , birmingham. but id imagine a player who has had alot of hype around him for quite a few years now would have an agent so this might hamper us as well. we should have returned with a larger bid in the summer.

Sussex Eagle
01-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Perhaps I don't understand the concept, but isn't a first option meaningless if Liverpool don't want the player - ie it doesn't stop other clubs bidding but Liverpool would be the only ones accepted at a certain price?

st albans
01-12-2004, 02:18 PM
he was excellent against us when they beat us in the infamous game 3-1 last season at SP. i've said for a couple of years now that we should go in for him, and think we should have offered more in the summer. my Crewe friend says he could easily play in the top flight. i know the formation would be a problem at the moment, but him and AJ up front (two young exciting england prospects) would be awesome

Tommy Pickle
01-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Would be a great signing. IMO we will struggle to compete against other clubs.

Sussex Eagle
01-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Oh, and I'd still prefer Ellington if he's available :)

maestro
01-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Gradi said that he talked to Ashton and advised him to go in the summer and really wants him to stay. Although he did say that if a big club spoke to him (gradi) and offered a good price, could offer him first team football and was the right move for ashton then he wouldnt hold him back but nothing like that has happened yet

GreatGonzo
01-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
id also say alot of them would be able to offer him football - southampton , everton , man city , celtic , birmingham.

Southampton - Phillips, Beattie, Crouch, Pahars
Everton - I agree would be cometition
Man City - 58m in debt and Keegan has spent a fortune going nowhere
Celtic - Would probably prefer the premiership
Birmingham - Need a striker but have spent a lot this season already, would be competition if they went for him.

Us - AJ, Kaviedes and Ventola (both loans and could be sent back in the next weeks/months) Shipperly and Freedman (questions over long term opportunities and quality) Torghelle (Unproven) Andrews (not see the 1st team yet)

If i was Ashton and i saw taht set of players and ID explained that he was reverting to a 4-4-2 why he was doing that and said i would be in his plans, 1 look at that list and i would be confident i would be 1 of teh 2!

Tomo
01-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Wouldn't say no. We need back up for AJ but if dowie doesn't want to change formation I can't see Ashton wanting to move down South if he will just be an understudy.

GreatGonzo
01-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by maestro
Gradi said that he talked to Ashton and advised him to go in the summer and rea;;y wants him to stay. Although he did say that if a big club spoke to him (gradi) and offered a good price, could offer him first team football and was the right move for ashton then he wouldnt hold him back but nothign like that has happened yet

If we wait until the summer then we have virtually no chance of getting him. The best option is a raid in January, i believehe will score goals in the premiership, something i believe only 1 of our current striker is capable of doing regularly at the moment! He also on the occasions i have seen him seems to have a good work ethic and doesn't just float around the top of the pitch waiting for teh ball to come to him!

Dillenger
01-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Icy
He'd be roughly the same price as Ellington especially if 30 clubs are looking at him and they turned down 2M bids in the summer. Ellington would give us more options in terms of different attributes he'd bring to the team.

you'd have to find at least 4M to get nathan now. to think we could have signed him for half the money we paid for akinbiyi, and then brought him through as a long term replacement for clinton.

hernehilleagle
01-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Would be a good signing, but I think he is too similar to Torghelle - when he gets used to it here i think he will be a very decent player.

cpfc_spc1982
01-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by hernehilleagle
Would be a good signing, but I think he is too similar to Torghelle - when he gets used to it here i think he will be a very decent player.

ashton is probably already twice the player torghelle will ever be.

Freddy Kurz
01-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Player with great potential but he will not be coming to Crystal Palace.
Too much competition from top clubs. Lets all move on.

Gooders
01-12-2004, 09:02 PM
How disappointing.

I thought this was going to be another "kiss and tell" story involving a high-profile footballer.

Celestial Empire
01-12-2004, 10:17 PM
The worst possible outcome would be if Crewe bugger us about in an auction with no intention of dealing, until the window closes.
I hope the Dowies have learned from our early season experience, size up the situation, and if it doesn't look likely, move on quickly to a more certain target (Helguson ?)

Jay_Palace
01-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
ashton is probably already twice the player torghelle will ever be.

And has Ashton scored goals at international level against Brazil and Germany?

Sanyi has received a lot of unfair press on here, and I'm sure that he will come good and will be an excellent partner for AJ, provided that we could bring in the quality midfielder that we have been crying out for, in January.

cpfc_spc1982
01-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
And has Ashton scored goals at international level against Brazil and Germany?



has ashton played against them , that is irrelevent.
has torghelle scored against millwall?

Jay_Palace
01-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
has ashton played against them , that is irrelevent.
has torghelle scored against millwall?

So Ashton has scored a few goals in division one, against the likes of Millwall and in your eyes is a better player than an internationally proven striker?

Utter garbage.

cpfc_spc1982
01-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
So Ashton has scored a few goals in division one, against the likes of Millwall and in your eyes is a better player than an internationally proven striker?

Utter garbage.

hes scored 3? international goals and scored 8? last year in a very poor league hes hardly proven. torghelle is very very raw.
and yeh in my eyes he is a better player in probably every department of his game.

Jay_Palace
01-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
hes scored 3? international goals and scored 8? last year in a very poor league hes hardly proven. torghelle is very very raw.
and yeh in my eyes he is a better player in probably every department of his game.

Torghelle hasn't been given a long enough run in the team to be able to dismiss him, but in the games that he has played, he has shown immense promise and is certainly a player who will be an important player for us.

he was tremendous against Norwich, and his injury set him back a long way.

Ashton is the raw one, he has only been playing regular football for a couple of years and while has shown immense promise himself, is certainly rawer than Sanyi.

I am an enormous Ashton fan though, and would love him here to cpmpete for a place.

xmasape
01-12-2004, 11:55 PM
I don't think Palace have too much of a problem scoring goals, probably more defending against them.

I would look more towards the midfield/backs and spend what we need to sure up the defence.

sydnsteve
02-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
How disappointing.

I thought this was going to be another "kiss and tell" story involving a high-profile footballer.

ROFL!

cpfc_spc1982
02-12-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
Torghelle hasn't been given a long enough run in the team to be able to dismiss him, but in the games that he has played, he has shown immense promise and is certainly a player who will be an important player for us.

he was tremendous against Norwich, and his injury set him back a long way.

Ashton is the raw one, he has only been playing regular football for a couple of years and while has shown immense promise himself, is certainly rawer than Sanyi.

I am an enormous Ashton fan though, and would love him here to cpmpete for a place.

torghelle's temprement shows how raw he is. he put himself about against norwich and fought well but in my opinion there wasnt alot of quality there, he gave away alot of fouls and the ball didnt stick much. i agree the injury set him back , also a lack of confidence -after his goal during the week he improved slightly and a run of games would help, but he is a quite a way short of the standard needed at this level in my opinion to get a run of games.

st albans
02-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by xmasape
I don't think Palace have too much of a problem scoring goals, probably more defending against them.

I would look more towards the midfield/backs and spend what we need to sure up the defence.

agree

GreatGonzo
02-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
So Ashton has scored a few goals in division one, against the likes of Millwall and in your eyes is a better player than an internationally proven striker?

Utter garbage.

So in your eyes Sando having scored against Germany is a better player than AJ who scored a few goals in Division One, against the likes of Millwall?

GreatGonzo
02-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Also we are not scoing any more goals than those around us, we are not conceeding any more than them. If you improve either area you will improve!

If we had scored 1 more goal or conceeded one less in each game we would be in 7th!

Lords Eagle
02-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
has ashton played against them , that is irrelevent.
has torghelle scored against millwall?

Are you saying Millwall are as good as Germany and Brazil? :eek:

ANDYEAGLE
02-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
Torghelle hasn't been given a long enough run in the team to be able to dismiss him, but in the games that he has played, he has shown immense promise and is certainly a player who will be an important player for us.

he was tremendous against Norwich, and his injury set him back a long way.

Ashton is the raw one, he has only been playing regular football for a couple of years and while has shown immense promise himself, is certainly rawer than Sanyi.

I am an enormous Ashton fan though, and would love him here to cpmpete for a place.

Whilst I agree that Torghelle has not been given much of a chance and has potential I do not agree that Ashton is rawer than him on the back of a few games for Hungary. Ashton has played at under21 England level and if he were Hungarian or an equivalent say Scottish or Welsh he would be a long standing International already. Ashton imo is far the better player at the moment. I think just by the fact that the number of Premier clubs chasing him proves this. I didnt see a dozen scouts at Selhurst on Tuesday night watching Sandor, lets hope it happens then we know we have a sought after player.

nicky
02-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Dean Ashton is about as un-raw as any 21 year old striker could be.

Club career:

139 starts
31 as sub
68 goals

plus of course international appearances at various levels.

Tommy Pickle
02-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
ashton is probably already twice the player torghelle will ever be.

IMO this is an unfair and foolish thing to say. I would love to see Ashton sign for Palace tho.

Clapham Grand
02-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Papers saying today he is going to Spurs in January for 2.5m

I.Flyer
02-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Well if we can soundly beat Spurs on 28th December, perhaps DA may change his mind ;)

GreatGonzo
02-12-2004, 02:05 PM
That would make sense, go to a club and fight for a place with Kanoute, Keane and Defoe!

Will kill his career IMHO

Celestial Empire
02-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Very interesting that no real "big club" has been in for Ashton before. Chelsea buy Kezman, Arsenal buy Jeffers, van Persie, Blackburn (not "big" I know) buy Stead, Newcastle buy Lua Lua, etc.
Why were none of these clubs interested in Ashton ?

Jay_Palace
02-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
That would make sense, go to a club and fight for a place with Kanoute, Keane and Defoe!

Will kill his career IMHO

Indeed, Spurs have a quite shocking record of 'nurturing' promising young talent.

Bobby Zamora, anyone?

ANDYEAGLE
02-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Yes Don't go Wayne sign a contract with us and Ashton should do the same.

Jordan's Jacket
02-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
Helguson!!!

Agree with this....

pallet
02-12-2004, 09:00 PM
30 Scouts at Crewe, were they doing thier football badge???

Frisky
02-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
Very interesting that no real "big club" has been in for Ashton before. Chelsea buy Kezman, Arsenal buy Jeffers, van Persie, Blackburn (not "big" I know) buy Stead, Newcastle buy Lua Lua, etc.
Why were none of these clubs interested in Ashton ?

Everton (not "big" I know but third in the league and in a similar position to us on the striker front) tried to buy Ashton a few years ago (pre Moyes). Given location I'd say they must be warm favourites for him.

etu
03-12-2004, 01:02 AM
If its true Liverpool have first option and with their current striker crisis, its quite possible Ashton would be headed there instead.

Trolley
03-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by pallet
30 Scouts at Crewe, were they doing thier football badge???

A certain young laddie by the name of 'Billy Jones' is also attracting the attention of the scouting 'fraternity'.

;)

Sussex Eagle
03-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Trolley
A certain young laddie by the name of 'Billy Jones' is also attracting the attention of the scouting 'fraternity'.

;)

I presume this is just standard Trolley waffle, but Billy Jones would probably be a better buy than Ashton long-term imo. Sign him up :p

Trolley
03-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
I presume this is just standard Trolley waffle, but Billy Jones would probably be a better buy than Ashton long-term imo. Sign him up :p

I can state without fear or favour that my statement apropos the young laddie is certainly NOT 'Waffle' in any shape or form.

;) ;) ;)

cpfc_spc1982
04-12-2004, 03:35 PM
more goals.

Jay_Palace
04-12-2004, 03:39 PM
The boy is class, way too good for the likes of Crewe. I would be amazed if he's not a Premiership player, come January.

SpikeyMatt
04-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Two more for Ashton this afternoon.....

He is to Crewe, as AJ is to Palace.

stinky
04-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
All over Sky Sports yesterday evening was teh fact there were 30 scouts at Gresty Road to watch the game with Millwall. Now i have no doubt that many will have been from Championship sides who are playing the 2 sides between now and the middle of January but teh vast majority must have been looking at players and top of that list must be Ashton.

Now we had a 2m offer for him rejected pre season, he is currently top scorer in the Championship and has 18 months left on his contract.

I assume we are still interested and were one of teh clubs represented last night but do we have a chance of signing what is a great prospect with teh likes of Tottenham, Man City and Everton also definately interested? (along with many more clubs)

struggling with spelling 'the'?! heavy night was it?

Sussex Eagle
04-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by stinky
struggling with spelling 'the'?! heavy night was it?

He always seems to do that. Odd, like a typographical speech disorder.

First safety
04-12-2004, 08:37 PM
I listened to an ex pro( Neil Adams ex Norwich) talking about Ashton this afternoon who held the view that Ashton was a good player but felt that for 2/3 million he was too much of a gamble because of the huge leap required for playing in the premier league.This comment was in respect of Norwich(he will not go there)and his views are usually well considered.

We have had no problems with AJ but although Ashton is a good finisher does anyone know whether he has much pace because that is such an important part of a strikers armoury in the top league.

Jimbo ?
04-12-2004, 08:49 PM
he would be a wonderful signing, i wouldnt mind if we didnt get anyone else in jan. lets not make the same mistake as with cahill. a little bit extra would be worth it in the long term

etu
04-12-2004, 09:17 PM
I would if he was the only signing in Jan, central midfield and the left side both need shoring up too urgently to blow it only on one player. I don't think we can afford that amount of anyone other than a guranteed starter either atm.

HARRY MONK
05-12-2004, 06:29 AM
would be an excellent signing , could see him and johnson forming a great partneship

cpfc4life24/7
07-12-2004, 08:06 PM
no we dont have a chance to sign him, with A.J it wnt work there games r too alike and dean ashton would prefer to go to a club were he could be the main man and i dnt think he would want to play second string to johnson

Super Mabbutt
07-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by cpfc4life24/7
no we dont have a chance to sign him, with A.J it wnt work there games r too alike and dean ashton would prefer to go to a club were he could be the main man and i dnt think he would want to play second string to johnson

He won't get the chance to be the main man at many premier league clubs at the moment.

cpfc_spc1982
13-12-2004, 01:00 PM
says on tribal football we are battling with spurs for him.

davematt
13-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
says on tribal football we are battling with spurs for him.

If thats true, he would chose us possibly over them for first team football. At Spurs, he would be 4th choice, unless they sell one or maybe both of Keane & Kanoute. We should do our up most to get Ashton, as he is quality, and would be perfect up front with AJ.

Bounce back
13-12-2004, 01:13 PM
he,s on fire again this season would be a nice dream to get him

skorpie
13-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
I didnt see a dozen scouts at Selhurst on Tuesday night watching Sandor

Roma maybe?


ok I'll get my coat....

pedro
13-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by davematt
At Spurs, he would be 4th choice, unless they sell one or maybe both of Keane & Kanoute.
Both rumoured to be on their way with Keane going to Man City/Everton and Kanoute part of a deal for James Beattie.

glaziers fan
13-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by pedro
Both rumoured to be on their way with Keane going to Man City/Everton and Kanoute part of a deal for James Beattie.

Well if Keane goes I'll be amazed. If Kanoute goes and Beattie comes in, that's another striker in front of him. If he comes to Palace he walks straight into the team to play alongside the 2nd top goalscorer in the Prem and the top English goalscorer. I think he would be mad to choose Spurs over us. Doesn't mean he wouldn't though.

RDSdaEAGLE
13-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Well if Keane goes I'll be amazed. If Kanoute goes and Beattie comes in, that's another striker in front of him. If he comes to Palace he walks straight into the team to play alongside the 2nd top goalscorer in the Prem and the top English goalscorer. I think he would be mad to choose Spurs over us. Doesn't mean he wouldn't though.

You're forgetting the fact that we're not likely to want to spend 4m or so on him.

maestro
13-12-2004, 10:23 PM
I think they'd want 4million or so for him, they rejected a 2 million bid in the summer and his value would have gone up since then after scoring so many goals

cpfc_spc1982
14-12-2004, 06:21 PM
birmingham will apparantly bid 3m, id hope we would match that.

glaziers fan
14-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Jordan has always said there is money available if the player is worth it. If Dowie rates him highly enough, he will put a bid in.

Jay_Palace
14-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Ashton's contract is up fairly shortly, so he will certainly be leaving for a premiership club very soon.

However, for various reasons that I have previously mentioned, it is highly, highly unlikely that he will be coming to Palace.

My money is on either Man Citeh or Birmingham.

RDSdaEAGLE
14-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Jordan has always said there is money available if the player is worth it. If Dowie rates him highly enough, he will put a bid in.

Nope.

Dowie said at the Q&A evening that he already believed Ashton's value to be too high at the start of the season. We bid 2m for him then. Considering he said it a week ago, we won't bid more now.