PDA

View Full Version : Matias Almeyda

cpfcben
06-12-2004, 12:30 PM
http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=25245

Martin H
06-12-2004, 01:17 PM
Prem duo linked with Almeyda
Crystal Palace and Everton have both shown interest in former Inter defender Matias Almeyda after he said he wants to leave Brescia. "I can't say my Brescia experience has been a negative one," said Almeyda. "But in a situation like this the players are the least important and things must change. I am only interested in playing football. For this reason I'll look for a new team in January."

cpfcben
06-12-2004, 01:27 PM
....FABULOUS PLAYER. WE WERE PROBABLY TRYING TO KEEP THIS ONE UNDER WRAPS!!

davematt
06-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by cpfcben
....FABULOUS PLAYER. WE WERE PROBABLY TRYING TO KEEP THIS ONE UNDER WRAPS!!

Yeah. He aint coming now!:D

Kevan Woz Awful
06-12-2004, 01:37 PM
We cannot afford another 'play 2 games - then out injured for 8 weeks' player, and that's what we seem to perpetually get from European clubs.

I think we should go for players who are fit, aren't afraid of working hard and are prepared to give their all for Iain Dowie and the club. In other words 'Boyce' type characters.

I'll happily sacrifice reputation/ability for enthusiasm/doggedness.

Richwak
06-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Sorry but Almeyda is crap, I also follow Inter and he was terrible for them. Christiano Zanetti would be a far better option.

RDSdaEAGLE
06-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Richwak
Sorry but Almeyda is crap, I also follow Inter and he was terrible for them. Christiano Zanetti would be a far better option.

Yeah.

It would also be a far more expensive option.

zonin2000
06-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Richwak

Hmm... Almeyda was voted Serie A player of the season not so long ago, whilst at Lazio.

Terrific holding player.

Funk Butter
06-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful
We cannot afford another 'play 2 games - then out injured for 8 weeks' player, and that's what we seem to perpetually get from European clubs.

I think we should go for players who are fit, aren't afraid of working hard and are prepared to give their all for Iain Dowie and the club. In other words 'Boyce' type characters.

I'll happily sacrifice reputation/ability for enthusiasm/doggedness.
I guess we better get rid of Riihilati, Kolkka and Kiraly before they get injured. Just to be on the safe side, we should probably get rid of Hughes too. All those years in France, you know.

cpfcben
06-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Matias Almeyda.

YOU DON'T HAVE 34 CAPS FOR ARGENTINA IF YOU ARE RUBBISH.

Lee B
06-12-2004, 03:35 PM
In the words of Kelvin Koogan, 'I would love it' but I am pretty sure that Everton and a few other clubs will be ahead of us for Almeyda.

You never know though Ventola and Sorondo might put a word in....

Palaceboy222
06-12-2004, 03:36 PM
i dont know much about him but i sounds good

Excowboy
06-12-2004, 03:40 PM
sounds good to me

even he is similar to Aki, central midfield is exactly the place we're lacking depth. Providing he stays fit and responds to Dowie's motivation i think he could be an excellent signing. I doubt we should have to pay too much for him at 31 and considering his situation at Brescia; my only worry is wages - if we pay him loads, why shouldn't Aki and Hughsey get similar deals for their extensions?

Clapham Grand
06-12-2004, 05:24 PM
West Brom in for him too apparently

Pokerface
06-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Robson or Dowie. Hmmmm

Jim Cannon
06-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
West Brom in for him too apparently

He'd be a muppet to go there then:D

BW_Palace
06-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Would be a very good signing. If you think he's rubbish - don't you think he'd be better than what we've got? (Not that Aki, Hughes, Watson are rubbish, but Almeyda is better).

Aki Aki Aki
07-12-2004, 08:55 AM
It has been reported that he is in talks with WBA.

Ruskin Old Boy
07-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Brescia has a policy of letting fans into their training ground to berate the players. Imagine the local branch of the BNP and their mates being let into Beckenham to lecture AJ and co. It's no wonder he wants to leave that kind of set-up; be great if he came here.

Tommy Pickle
07-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Fingers crossed. IMO his high wages would be worth it.

Sussex Eagle
07-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Very good player, but mightn't we have to drop Aki to accomodate him?

GreatGonzo
07-12-2004, 12:43 PM
We currently play 3 in midfield and with the unwillingness to put Derry on the bench we only have 3 central midfielders.

Hughes has been looking out of sorts, Aki has an injury and it is always a good idea to give younger players (Watson) a rest every now and then.

Answer we need 1 possibly 2 central midfielders!

davematt
07-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
We currently play 3 in midfield and with the unwillingness to put Derry on the bench we only have 3 central midfielders.

Hughes has been looking out of sorts, Aki has an injury and it is always a good idea to give younger players (Watson) a rest every now and then.

Agree, but we really do need a central midfielder with a bit of pace.

cross
07-12-2004, 12:47 PM

Completely agree. I'd like to see 2, 1 defensive and 1 attacking.

With another defensive midfielder we can rest Aki / Watson when necessary (Aki has an injury for example) or even rest Hughes and give Watson more license to push forward. Dowie has said many times that he thinks Watson should be a box to box player so would be good to see him have more freedom.

honeysuckle
07-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Matias Almeyda has played for Lazio, Parma and Inter which suggests some quality. However he's gone off the boil in an average Brescia team and fallen out of favour.

Some of the girls and boys will love him though since he came near top of some Italian pole for best looking footballer.

The Italian papers were actually linking him to a move to Espanyol last month. He is highly regarded in Spain after a successful spell in Seville.

This sounds more likely than a move to Crystal Palace.

Sussex Eagle
07-12-2004, 01:31 PM
My feeling is that the (hopefully) 4 new players we bring in in January all need to be in genuine contention for a starting place for us to have our best chance of staying up this season. And I think we have two options in terms of what position players we get, depending on our formation.

If 4-5-1 is to be a long term thing, then I think 2 new midfielders is indeed necessary. Aki is almost undroppable the way he's played, but my feeling is Hughes may be somewhat past the time when he can do it week in week out, and Watson is not quite ready. In this situation, Almeyda would be a great buy, and we would then need to get in an attacking player to 'complete' the midfield as such -

Routledge - Almeyda - Aki - Mysterious Attacking Midfielder - Kolkka

If we are to switch back to 4-4-2 long term (which I suspect is the healthy choice, otherwise we rely too much on AJ taking the two chances a game he gets all on his own against big Premiership defences) then Almeyda wouldn't fit into the squad imo. In this situation, I think a double swoop at the JJB might be in order, leaving us like this -

Routledge - Aki - Jimmy Bullard - Kolkka
AJ - Nathan Ellington

Well, thats my $0.02, anyways. Nostradamus Eagle out!

GreatGonzo
07-12-2004, 06:59 PM
hehe like it, where is the 8m+ for Ellington and Bullard coming from?

That is like Wigan packing any chance of promotion on the first train bound for london! ;)

Pokerface
07-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle

Routledge - Almeyda - Aki - Mysterious Attacking Midfielder - Kolkka

Routledge - Aki - Jimmy Bullard - Kolkka
AJ - Nathan Ellington

Routledge - Almeyda - Kristiansen - Aki - Kolkka

Routledge - Aki/Almeyda - Kristiansen - Kolkka
AJ - Ventola

Haven't seen Kristiansen play but I believe the hype.

Sussex Eagle
08-12-2004, 12:57 AM
hehe like it, where is the 8m+ for Ellington and Bullard coming from?

That is like Wigan packing any chance of promotion on the first train bound for london! ;)

;) A boy can dream, can't he?

Might be able to convince Wigan with about 4-5mil if we pull some dirty tricks to unsettle them. Oh dear, too much FM2005, isn't it?

Tommy Pickle
08-12-2004, 11:06 AM

If we are to switch back to 4-4-2 long term (which I suspect is the healthy choice, otherwise we rely too much on AJ taking the two chances a game he gets all on his own against big Premiership defences) then Almeyda wouldn't fit into the squad imo.

I agree that long term 442 is a healthy choice, but don't rule out playing 2 defensive central midfielders depending on the oppo. This way Almeyda would still fit nicely into the squad.

Beckenham Boy
10-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Read yesterday on teletext that Norwich are ready to sign him up on a pre transfer window contract in the next few days so he can join the club as soon as it opens. Not sure how true that is though...

Sussex Eagle
11-12-2004, 09:16 PM
A mate tells me that a bloke fitting Almeyda's description was seen arriving at the ground today in a sports car with Italian plates. Perhaps he misrecognized Sorondo or something, who knows. Watch this space, I guess. After today's performance I thoroughly agree with you Tommy. We could do with this guy however we are going to play.

Funk Butter
11-12-2004, 09:27 PM
A mate tells me that a bloke fitting Almeyda's description was seen arriving at the ground today in a sports car with Italian plates. Perhaps he misrecognized Sorondo or something, who knows. Watch this space, I guess. After today's performance I thoroughly agree with you Tommy. We could do with this guy however we are going to play.
Yeah, I'm sure he's really gonna be driving his car all the way from Italy to hold talks with us. :rolleyes:

Sussex Eagle
11-12-2004, 09:44 PM
LOL - Didn't sound quite right to me either, just relaying what I heard!

Martian
22-12-2004, 09:53 AM
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=245682&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=West+Brom+bag+Almeyda&channel=Football_Home

West brom have him

chav_hater
22-12-2004, 10:03 AM
What a mug!

Neil 154
Originally posted by Martian

West brom have him

close thread , let's move on.

(bollox!):veryangry

st albans
if he's gone to west brom he can't be that good

GUCCI Eagle
22-12-2004, 10:04 AM
'Matias Almeyda joins Robson fun bus to the Championship'

Martin H
22-12-2004, 10:15 AM
He was the type of quality that we need and if he could play in front of the back four as well as in it then he would have been a great option. Its not clear how keen Dowie was - is it?

Robson's track record with buying in big name players is not that good is it (1 in 3 or 4 come off) so if he was interested perhaps we should be relieved!

Anyhow - move on . . . . next!

cpfcben
22-12-2004, 10:32 AM
WOW WEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Martin H
22-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by cpfcben
WOW WEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

You know Ben, whatever literary shortcomings your content may have sometimes your postings will always be top!

Martian
22-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Neil 154
close thread , let's move on.

(bollox!):veryangry

eh?

eagle dom
22-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Reading that report, it doesn't sound like a done deal.

They can't sign / complete anything until Jan, so watch this space...

It wouldn't be unheard of for an agent to leak something like this, when the only option on the table is an unattractive one. They are hoping for a hijack on this deal I think...

Martin H
22-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by eagle dom
Reading that report, it doesn't sound like a done deal.

They can't sign / complete anything until Jan, so watch this space...

It wouldn't be unheard of for an agent to leak something like this, when the only option on the table is an unattractive one. They are hoping for a hijack on this deal I think...

But as it is a free transfer couldn't his club have just cancelled his contract and then WBA could have signed him. As no money is passing hands it would be in his current club's interest to do this?

Who knows .....

eagle dom
22-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Good point - I'm not sure.

I think that if a player is attached to a club, then he can't even move on a free. I think that is the case here, because Brescia will hold his registration.

I think the difefrence with Lakis, was that he was completely unattached to a club since the summer, and held his own registration. If anyone can shed any light on this, I would be grateful!

PalaceForever
22-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Its on Teletext too, they report his contract at Brescia was cancelled. Shame really, I think an older head in the middle of the pitch to settle things down could have been just what we needed. I would rather get Killy Gonzalez though :)

LP
22-12-2004, 12:59 PM
If we want another inter player that striker Martins is apparently being shown the door, would be good.

The Vicar
22-12-2004, 01:04 PM
How do we manage to lose this guy to WBA of all teams?:(

hairylenny
22-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Martins??? I don't think he'll leave!

Maybe it's just me but I seem less confident of this being a decent signing than you guys (going by page 1 of this thread). Seems to be one of these players that italian clubs collect for the hell of it, Roque Junior being a prime example!

There hasn't been anything on the official site yet either so no-one knows whether the story is true or not

ANDYEAGLE
22-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Whats the situation with Koumas hairylenny? do the fans still rate him? will he be leaving? always been a big fan of his,like him at Palace. Another thread I know. Need a Albion view.

Kirby
22-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Would love to have got Almeyda. I think he'd have been great in our midfield if he stayed clear of injuries.

Hopefully he'll get injured then :clown:

hairylenny
22-12-2004, 01:39 PM
There is no doubting his ability it's just his general attitude. He does have a habit of coming on and just swanning around when you need him to get stuck in. He came on in the Charlton game and looked like our only player that had a clue and he was our man of the match against Blues.

There have been a few whisperings about his private life as well though which never help.

The fans would love him to stay especially if he sorts his attitude out. From the last 2 games it seems like he is but then you never know with him.

Quality player though, definately a premiership player.

Pokerface
22-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Yes, I was quite excited about this rumour. Maybe Dowie didn't want him that much. West Brom over Palace, come on, he can't have had a choice.

Popester
22-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Either he lacks ambission or we didnt actually want him!!

In any event, I think Sky have jumped the gun. The BBC say WBA are set to sign him and there hasnt been an official announcement - which you would expect from Robson having just slated his current squad.

ANDYEAGLE
22-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by hairylenny
There is no doubting his ability it's just his general attitude. He does have a habit of coming on and just swanning around when you need him to get stuck in. He came on in the Charlton game and looked like our only player that had a clue and he was our man of the match against Blues.

There have been a few whisperings about his private life as well though which never help.

Thanks Lenny if he was available we should definantly go for him. Back to the Almeyda thread!

The fans would love him to stay especially if he sorts his attitude out. From the last 2 games it seems like he is but then you never know with him.

Quality player though, definately a premiership player.

Thanks Lenny agree with you he is quality would love him at Palace.

hairylenny
22-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Is Almeyda a defender or a midfield? or both?

Latvian Eagle
22-12-2004, 02:18 PM
I've always known Almeyda to be a midfielder (or in CM terms... DMC).

hairylenny
22-12-2004, 02:29 PM
that might mean we finally have a replacement for AJ! :D

Funk Butter
22-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by LP
If we want another inter player that striker Martins is apparently being shown the door, would be good.
Dude, please. I doubt that Inter would show the door to a player that has 9 goals in 15 appearances. Besides, we already went thru this in the summer. If we had any chance back then, we have absolutely no chance now.

eagles #1
22-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Martins?!?! hahaha dont think so!!

readingeagle
22-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Almeyda signs for West Brom...

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=245682&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=West+Brom+bag+Almeyda&channel=Football_Home

Latvian Eagle
22-12-2004, 02:45 PM
LP is talking b*ll*cks. There is no way Martins is leaving Inter. He's one of the games best young talents and he's still only 19.

He'd go for well over 10m anyhow.

hairylenny
22-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Is Martins really as fast as he is on PES?

Latvian Eagle
22-12-2004, 03:54 PM
You bet. One of the fastest players around. Add to that for a guy of 5'7" he is incredibly strong, and able to hold off most defenders when holding the ball up.

The one part of his game which does need work is his finishing, although he's done well in that aspect this season in Serie A, and the Champions League. He also has the versatile aspect to his game as he can play on either the left or right wing if need be.

Kirby
22-12-2004, 04:27 PM
He's no AJ.

Random*
22-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful

Who? Padovano? Ventola?

Padovano maybe, but Ventola's broken ankle was a freak accident - if it was due to his lack of fitness or a long term problem he would have been packed off back to Italy sharpish.

Brett
22-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Er, Ventola's made a career out of being injured.

Tommy Pickle
23-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Random*
Who? Padovano? Ventola?

Padovano maybe, but Ventola's broken ankle was a freak accident

Ventola is really injury prone. Thats how we managed to get hold of him.

Pokerface
23-12-2004, 01:13 PM
This provided some comfort:

JUST THE MAN YOU WANT IN A CRISIS WBA BOSS ROBSON SIGNS ARGENTINE HATED AT LAST CLUB .. FOR NOT TRYING

Martin Rogers

BRYAN ROBSON has pinned his hopes of leading West Brom to Premiership survival on controversial Argentina star Matias Almeyda.

The Albion boss is set to finalise a deal to bring in Almeyda on a free transfer today after the midfielder fell out at Serie A side Brescia.

He was embroiled in a huge row there in November as fans vented their fury at his poor performances.

Claiming the 31-year-old was not showing enough commitment to the cause, a group of fans stormed the club's training ground and tried to attack him.

The supporters broke down a gate before racing to confront Almeyda, who was forced to make a rapid exit.

He then announced he would refuse to play for the club again, insisting not enough had been done to guarantee his safety.

Almeyda said: "I do not believe this club has any interest in protecting me. I became convinced when the fans broke down the gate and came for me. Maybe it is not the fans who are the problem, but the people who allow them on to the pitch.

"They were allowed on to the training field three times in nine days - for me that is not normal."

The player then refused to play again for the Serie A side, withdrawing himself from the following game against Chievo and spending the last six weeks on the sidelines.

He had only agreed to join Brescia after ripping up a contract he had signed with Argentinian side Independiente earlier this year.

Before he had even kicked a ball for Independiente he took off for Italy, claiming his father had been targeted by gangsters in a kidnap plot.

When the West Brom deal is rubber-stamped today, there will be little sorrow at Brescia, who are glad to see the back of him.

President Gino Corioni said: "Matias did not feel loved by the public anymore and that is why he didn't want to play.

"If he wants to leave us, then you will not see me crying."

Almeyda is set to become Robson's first signing since he replaced Gary Megson at the Hawthorns and the boss hopes he can turn around the club's season.

West Brom have managed just one point in six games under Robson and are bottom of the Premiership with only 10 points.

If Almeyda can reproduce the sort of form he showed at the height of his career, then Albion could have unearthed one of the bargains of the season.

After being signed by Sven Goran Eriksson in 1998, he helped Lazio to the Italian league and Cup double two years later.

He was involved in a bust-up with Chelsea during a Champions League match in 2000.

He has played for his country 40 times and at his best was a dominating defensive midfielder who could also score goals.

When Hernan Crespo joined Lazio from Parma three years ago, Almeyda went the other way as part of the deal and was then valued at 14.5m.

THE RISE AND FALL OF MATIAS ALMEYDA

1991: Makes debut for River Plate, aged 17.

1996: Signed by Seville in Spain and wins first cap for Argentina.

1997: Signed by Sven Goran Eriksson for Lazio.

2000: Key member of Lazio side that wins the Italian Double.

2001: Joins Parma while Hernan Crespo goes to Lazio in same deal.

2002: Goes to Inter Milan but struggles to settle.

June 2004: Returns to Argentina to play for Independiente but rips up his contract before playing a game, claiming his father has been targeted by kidnappers.

July 2004: Signed by Brescia and starts promisingly.

October 2004: Falls out with Brescia coach Gianni Di Biasi.

November 2004: Attacked by fans at club's training ground and vows never to play for Brescia again.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. Any way this article is closure for me.

Funk Butter
23-12-2004, 02:43 PM
I think I'd be packing my bags if fans were allowed to just run riot at the training ground, too. Where in that article does it say he was hated for not trying? It just says, "Claiming the 31-year-old was not showing enough commitment to the cause, a group of fans stormed the club's training ground and tried to attack him."

LP
23-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by hairylenny
Is Martins really as fast as he is on PES?

Tbh I was partially judging his performances on PES! Recoba and Emre are the kings at Inter in that game, doubt we'll get either of them either.

After all stick I've got for my previous suggestion I'll get back to earth and be more realistic and suggest the kind of players we normally are linked with...is Mikel Beck still playing? or Paul Furlong? or Dele Adebola...wait a minute we already had him.:rolleyes:

So if the Almeyda signing doesn't work out can we expect scores of marauding Baggies fans invading the West Brom training ground?

Beanie
23-12-2004, 03:11 PM
This isn't the first time Almeyda has been singled out for not trying. I think he is the perfect definition of SJ's "big time Charlie". No way I can see him being wanted by ID. Looks like he's the sort of player to destroy any team spirit there is. Feel we're well out of this one.

Pokerface
23-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Funk Butter
I think I'd be packing my bags if fans were allowed to just run riot at the training ground, too. Where in that article does it say he was hated for not trying? It just says, "Claiming the 31-year-old was not showing enough commitment to the cause, a group of fans stormed the club's training ground and tried to attack him."

Not condoning players being attacked, but if he was putting 100% into his performances every week and was doing a good job, the fans would probably treat him the way we treat Aki or AJ.

Anyway that's not the point. They may not even have been Brescia fans. The fact is the article provided comfort and hope that this latest transfer hijacking will backfire. My high hopes of Palace signing a saviour were dashed yet again. Stop trying to ruin my coping mechanism.;)

hairylenny
23-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by LP

So if the Almeyda signing doesn't work out can we expect scores of marauding Baggies fans invading the West Brom training ground?

He looks a bit like a pirate so I won't be invading!

CPFC-DIEHARD
23-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Im a bit pissed off to say the least, i thought Dowie signing Almeyda would have given us some of the quality in midfield that we need to stay up this season...

ANDYEAGLE
23-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by CPFC-DIEHARD
Im a bit pissed off to say the least, i thought Dowie signing Almeyda would have given us some of the quality in midfield that we need to stay up this season...

Be patient mate lets see what Santa brings. Could be Rivaldo, Gonzalez and Joe Cole. I still believe in Santa what a fool.

16-01-2005, 05:16 PM
now going to WBA

Jules
16-01-2005, 05:42 PM
No sign of him being at WBA yet...

Hailsham Eagle
16-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Just heard on SSN that he is considering hanging up his boots because of family problems! That or he decided the prospect of playing for West Brom was hopeless!

Also it seems that their Andy Johnson (the centre midfielder) has done serious damage to his knee. Although far from confirmed it puts West Broms midfield in a dire condition!

So not all is bad! :o

eagles #1
16-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Hailsham Eagle
Just heard on SSN that he is considering hanging up his boots because of family problems! That or he decided the prospect of playing for West Brom was hopeless!

Also it seems that their Andy Johnson (the centre midfielder) has done serious damage to his knee. Although far from confirmed it puts West Broms midfield in a dire condition!

So not all is bad! :o Surely they will just stick Jason Koumas in which if it wasnt for that twat Robson he'd be playing anyway.

Or is Koumas in the team as well?

The Vicar
16-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Why on earth would any player choose West Brom over us? They are down.

cpfcben
17-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Almeyda move in doubt
by Alex Dunn - created on 16 Jan 2005
SKY BET SPECIALS
Exclusive new markets have been launched by Sky Bet!

Player profiles:
Matias Almeyda
Andy Johnson
Team Pages:
West Bromwich AlbionWest Brom boss Bryan Robson has been handed a hammer blow with the news that Argentinian midfielder Matias Almeyda is reconsidering his decision to move to The Hawthorns.

The 31-year-old had been expected to jet into the Midlands in the next few days but this has now been cast into doubt because of ''family problems.''

Robson had previously been convinced that Almeyda would be lending his considerable talents to West Brom's battle to beat the drop.

Almeyda was available on a free transfer having been deemed surplus to requirements at Brescia, following a fall-out with his Italian paymasters.

Despite having pledged his future to West Brom, reports now claim the player is considering retirement and contemplating a life outside of football.

West Brom have been in contact with both Almeyda and his agent, as they look to ascertain what the future holds for a player who has already delayed his arrival twice.

However, Robson may now have to turn his attentions to other targets as Andy Johnson looks to have suffered a serious knee injury.

The tough tackling Welshman was felled by Luis Boa Morte in Sunday's defeat to Fulham and now faces a prolonged spell on the sidelines.

CPFC247
17-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by The Vicar
Why on earth would any player choose West Brom over us? They are down.

Because they are willing to pay double the wages we do. (Kanu is on 28k/wk). They have done a Charlton, by going up and down the leagues to get the cash, and are now splashing it. Fortunatley for us, they are to date not using the money very well!

Dartford Lad
17-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Matias Almeyda has retired from football, ending West Brom's hopes of signing the Argentine midfielder.
The 31-year-old agreed personal terms with Albion on an 18-month contract in mid-December and was due to start training this month.

But after returning to Argentina to resolve family problems, the former Lazio, Inter Milan and Parma star has decided to retire from the game.

Baggies boss Bryan Robson said: "It's disappointing as it was all agreed."

Almeyda was a free agent after leaving Italian Serie A side Brescia.

And Robson added: "Almeyda is a player I thought would have done a good job for us.

"But he has decided to stay in Argentina because of family problems and we have to respect his decision and move on.

"We are now channelling all our efforts into bringing in other targets."

:D :D :D

David of Kent
17-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Given the choice between retiring and playing for West Brom, I'd retire too ;)

cpfcben
19-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Almeyda: I could still join WBA
by Patricio Figueroa - created on 19 Jan 2005
DESKTOP ALERTS
Newly enhanced newsflashes - free to set up on your computer.

Player profiles:
Matias Almeyda
Team Pages:
West Bromwich AlbionArgentine midfielder Matias Almeyda insists he has not retired from football and he could still join West Bromwich Albion.

The 31-year-old agreed an 18-month deal at The Hawthorns in December and was expected to become Bryan Robson's first signing.

The move stalled and then the transfer was called off after Almeyda reportedly announced his retirement.

However, Almeyda insists he has not hung up his boots and is still considering his options - which include West Brom, although he is also hoping for an offer from River Plate.

"I haven't decided to hang up my boots yet," said Almeyda.

"It's true that I am thinking about it and I still have to decide if I am going to accept to play for West Brom.

"I don't have any other offer and they are calling me every day for an answer.

"The thing is that I still have the hope to play for River. I want to see if they get notified that I am free of contract and then decide to call me".

Almeyda began his illustrious career with River Plate and reports are now suggesting that he could be the man to replace Javier Mascherano - who is expected to leave the Buenos Aries club in the near future.

It remains to be seen how long West Brom will wait for the Argentine.

Raoul Duke
19-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Thank goodness we're not involved in this deal. A player who isn't sure about retiring and which club to join. Would be too much to bare.

Granada allover
19-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
Would be too much to bare.

Lucky lad!