PDA

View Full Version : Butts to reading?

Excowboy
08-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Reading Football Club boss keen on Palace defender
13:31 December, 8, 2004
Steve Coppell is looking to bring Danny Butterfield to Reading Football Club

The defender has made only two starts for Crystal Palace so far this season, both in the Carling Cup and Reading were keen to seal a loan switch for the former Grimsby man.

Palace have turned down a temporary switch but are looking to trim their squad after heavy recruitment in the summer and may consider a permanent switch for Butterfield.

Coppell has been given the go-ahead to sign a new defender with the Reading back line having looked less secure since Adie Williams’ move to Coventry.

I think this would be a trim too far. Hasn't played much but Important cover for both FB and midfield IMO

ROCK'N'ROLL
08-12-2004, 01:42 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davematt
08-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Very sad if true. He deserves his chance.

Shipp Ahoy!
Why the hell did we turn down a temporary move while Danny could be a decent Premiership player once he has got some games back under his belt?

If we let him go I for one will be disgusted!

TonbridgeEagle
Never going to happen IMO

Shane
08-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Now this would be both disappointing and surprising to say the least.

GreatGonzo
08-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Its silly season for rumours now and will be for 6 weeks, take it with a pinch of Salt!

cpfc_spc1982
08-12-2004, 01:46 PM
interesting one i always got the impression dowie didnt rate butts high enough defensively as he would take him off if we were looking to see out games sumtimes.

would be sad to see him go.
realisticly we do need to get rid of quite a few players though.

GUCCI Eagle
08-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Don't think so somehow.

Popester
08-12-2004, 01:52 PM
interesting one i always got the impression dowie didnt rate butts high enough defensively as he would take him off if we were looking to see out games sumtimes

I think that is a good point. Dowie has brought in 2 right backs since he has been here (Marlene and Leggy) and played Leggy when Boyce was moved to centre back.

However, there is nothing in the article that makes me think that this is anything other than pure speculation.

Radders
08-12-2004, 01:54 PM
He's not going anywhere.

sydney eagle
08-12-2004, 01:54 PM
I'd be extremely angry if we let butts go

cpfcben
08-12-2004, 01:57 PM
..........there is absolutely no chance. Absolute bollocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cleon
08-12-2004, 02:04 PM
This is ridiculous - Butterfield is one of our best players. What a pointless idea.

Big Fella
08-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Maybe Butterfield hasn't fully recovered from his injury. Those who have seen him in the reserves say he's not quite the same player. Maybe a loan would be good, to get him match sharp again.

Joeymaz
08-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Loan definitely but will be very surprised if it is permanent

cpfc_spc1982
08-12-2004, 02:17 PM
loan could be an option for them as murty is injured and they only have newman or soares' brother.

daz_eagle
08-12-2004, 02:19 PM
no way! butts is our best right back and one of the most popular players at the club i'd say.

love the guy and his attitude - we must not sell!!!

christopher
08-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Its silly season for rumours now and will be for 6 weeks, take it with a pinch of Salt!

Yep.

Gooders
08-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Surely we can't sell one of our most consistent players from last season? I've been looking forward to him getting back in the first team.

I would drop Popovic, bring Danny back in on the right - and play Boyce and Hall in the middle.

Owngoal
08-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Butts can't be properly 'fit' yet as ID is not having him on the bench even. A loan spell would give him the chance to regain match sharpness.

LP
08-12-2004, 02:25 PM
He's got his work cut out with both Boyce and Leigertwood ahead of him now, but I still wouldn't sell him. Maybe a month on loan would help him get fully fit though?

st albans
08-12-2004, 02:30 PM
i could see it happen as a loan move, as that would benefit both parties, but i think ID knows he's part of his plans, albeit only as back up. couldn't see him leaving permanently, unless we have a suprise signing in that position in Jan.....

st albans
08-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by daz_eagle
butts is our best right back

2nd best

Nelson Muntz
08-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by daz_eagle
no way! butts is our best right back
Unfortunatly Butts isn't the best right back at the club anymore, at least Dowie doesn't seem to think so.
With Emm & Mikele ahead of him maybe it's time Danny moved on. He will get regular football and the chance to prove Dowie wrong.

Dave
08-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
Surely we can't sell one of our most consistent players from last season? I've been looking forward to him getting back in the first team.

I would drop Popovic, bring Danny back in on the right - and play Boyce and Hall in the middle.

He isn't excatly setting the world on fire in the reserves.

Pezzadoner
08-12-2004, 02:48 PM
I can't believe some people are sayin get rid off him. He has been one of the top 3 most consistent performers over the past two seasons and would gutted if he was shipped out! He just needs to get fit and then I'm sure he would be the best option at RB once ID has figured out our strongest CB partnership.

Boyce = Solid defender
Butts = man with more vision and quality longs balls and crosses.

Iggles
08-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Maybe there's already a done deal for a right back coming in January e.g. Neil Clement.

cpfc_spc1982
08-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Iggles
Maybe there's already a done deal for a right back coming in January e.g. Neil Clement.

even though hes a left back.

ANDYEAGLE
08-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
Unfortunatly Butts isn't the best right back at the club anymore, at least Dowie doesn't seem to think so.
With Emm & Mikele ahead of him maybe it's time Danny moved on. He will get regular football and the chance to prove Dowie wrong.
IMO he still is but has to prove it to displace Boyce who has done well.
Like to see him back in the first team certainly dont think he should be loaned to anyone. Dont believe it anyway.

Batsta
08-12-2004, 02:54 PM

Agree with every word.

Pops has done ok, but maybe not enough.

Batman
08-12-2004, 02:58 PM

I'd second that.

daz_eagle
08-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by st albans
2nd best

boyce has done very well, but i still think butts is better. but we're in the premiership, we need good cover in all positions. i don't think butts is going anywhere anyway.

zonin2000
08-12-2004, 03:06 PM
:eek:

:sob:

I would be so disappointed to see him go! :sob:

Everyone loves this guy.

And for those of you saying that he's 3rd choice right back, it was only because of an injury in the penultimate match of preseason that he didn't start the season as 1st choice.

He was given the number two shirt, vice captaincy, and started all of our preseason games untill we played Samp.

nookiebear
08-12-2004, 03:17 PM

Same here

Butts is a quality player, Dowie would be insane to let him go

Braders
08-12-2004, 03:25 PM

I agree, good call Gooders.

Gooders
08-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Dave
He isn't excatly setting the world on fire in the reserves.

So I have heard (mind you, who is?).

Still can't believe we might never see him make a start in the Premiership though - he was one of those I thought would almost certainly make the step up.

And despite the fact that the Elephant says he doesn't get forward enough, I think he actually plays a lot better with Wayne than Boyce does. Not having a pop at Boyce by the way, I just think that Danny and Wayne had a good thing going towards the end of last season.

And we also discovered that talent he has for striking the ball from distance. :p

cpfcben
08-12-2004, 03:31 PM
BUTTS IS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTICO!!!!!!!! OUR MOST CONSISTENT PERFORMER OVER THE LAST 2 SEASONS. A REAL STAR.

CPFC247
08-12-2004, 03:37 PM
This can't be true!!!

IMO the sooner he gets back to full fitness and form, and therefore gets picked ahead of Boyce, the better.

Jay_Palace
08-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Excowboy
Reading Football Club boss keen on Palace defender
13:31 December, 8, 2004
Steve Coppell is looking to bring Danny Butterfield to Reading Football Club

The defender has made only two starts for Crystal Palace so far this season, both in the Carling Cup and Reading were keen to seal a loan switch for the former Grimsby man.

Palace have turned down a temporary switch but are looking to trim their squad after heavy recruitment in the summer and may consider a permanent switch for Butterfield

Coppell has been given the go-ahead to sign a new defender with the Reading back line having looked less secure since Adie Williams’ move to Coventry.

I think this would be a trim too far. Hasn't played much but Important cover for both FB and midfield IMO

This is a typical example of the tabloids using flawed logoc to come up with an even more flawed conclusion.

This has all arisen from the misinterpretation of SJ's comments, when he said in the local paper that it's good housekeeping to get rid of the fringe players from the squad. This was interpreted by the tabloids as SJ saying that we desperately had to slash the squad, in order to bring in new faces.

This is another example of the shoddy journalism in the Mirror.

There isn't a hope in hell that ID would sell Butts, end of story.

Excowboy
08-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
This is a typical example of the tabloids using flawed logoc to come up with an even more flawed conclusion.

This has all arisen from the misinterpretation of SJ's comments, when he said in the local paper that it's good housekeeping to get rid of the fringe players from the squad. This was interpreted by the tabloids as SJ saying that we desperately had to slash the squad, in order to bring in new faces.

This is another example of the shoddy journalism in the Mirror.

There isn't a hope in hell that ID would sell Butts, end of story.

Is it in the mirror too? i got it off fansfc.com

Jay_Palace
08-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Excowboy
Is it in the mirror too? i got it off fansfc.com

The story came from the Mirror, I believe.

Says it all, really.

Benzhiyi
08-12-2004, 03:51 PM
I don't want him to leave...

... but wouldn't be surprised. It's not the first rumour to have emerged from the club which says he may be shown the door.

zonin2000
08-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Go on... :sob:

Webb
08-12-2004, 03:53 PM

Still can't believe we might never see him make a start in the Premiership though - he was one of those I thought would almost certainly make the step up.

And despite the fact that the Elephant says he doesn't get forward enough, I think he actually plays a lot better with Wayne than Boyce does. Not having a pop at Boyce by the way, I just think that Danny and Wayne had a good thing going towards the end of last season.

And we also discovered that talent he has for striking the ball from distance. :p

Can't say anything more than that. Spot on, Gooders.

GanbareWashi
08-12-2004, 03:54 PM
No way should this happen. I also don't agree that Leigertwood is rated as our second best right back. He comes on for Boyce as sub, but that is because he is on the bench to cover both positions. I can not see him starting at RB ahead of a fit Danny Butts.

Benzhiyi
08-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000
Go on... :sob:

Dowie sees Boyce as his first choice right back, and Leigertwood is a decent back up. Thus if the right offer came in for Butts, who has had a poor season in the reserves and is yet to make the bench for a league game, he'd probably be allowed to leave.

I think that on his day, Butts is a better all round full back than Boyce or Leggy - but only Dowie's and Symons' opinions matter on this one. :(

Jay_Palace
08-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
I don't want him to leave...

... but wouldn't be surprised. It's not the first rumour to have emerged from the club which says he may be shown the door.

Really? I haven't heard of any others.

It is utterly incomprehensible that we would sell our most versatile and most consistent performer from last season. Butts signed a new 4 year contract in the summer and is held in high regard by ID.

This is just an example of shit stirring by the anti Palace Mirror.

Spender
08-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Butts has not got the physical presence, athleticism or pace of Boyce both of which are big factors for a quality Prem defender.

Butts was great for us in Div One but IMHO would be a bench player at best in the Prem.

arussell
08-12-2004, 04:22 PM
I gather that Coppell's move was to get him on loan only, but was flatly turned down by Palace.

I am wondering whether there's some sort of injury problem with Danny, as he's only impressed in a couple of reserve matches.

Personally I think it's way too early to be considering moving him on though.

Jay_Palace
08-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Spender
Butts has not got the physical presence, athleticism or pace of Boyce both of which are big factors for a quality Prem defender.

Butts was great for us in Div One but IMHO would be a bench player at best in the Prem.

I don't agree, Butts is a fundamentally better player than Boyce. fair play to Emmerson as he has played brilliantly and has siezed his chance with both hands, but had Butts not been injured in pre season, he was always going to be the number one choice.

zonin2000
08-12-2004, 04:38 PM
And also, Butts is a very competent central midfielder. Could have done with him coming off the bench on Sunday :(.

Malakite
08-12-2004, 04:42 PM
I think thats pathetic if he goes. He is TOP TOP class and by FAR our best right back no question whatsoever. He was monumental in the playoff final

Tommy Pickle
08-12-2004, 04:46 PM

And despite the fact that the Elephant says he doesn't get forward enough, I think he actually plays a lot better with Wayne than Boyce does...

you mean he did last year, in a lower league. I saw Luton play a few times last year and if you are judging Butterfield and Boyce on their performances last year then Boycie is the clear winner.

'Thats not a fair comparison because they played in different leagues' i hear you cry. Then don't compare Dannys performances in Div 1 to Boyce's in the prem.

trufan
08-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Wouldn't for a moment want to stop you guys trashing the Mirror. ;) But a source at the club told me several days ago that Butts "could" be on his way. Yep, I was surprised too. :(

Tommy Pickle
08-12-2004, 04:50 PM
IMO the best right back at the club is Boyce. In Mikele we have more than adequate cover. If we get a decent sum for Danny it wouldn't be the end of the world. Somehow i cant see it happening tho. As already mentioned, Danny recently signed a lengthy contract, played all games until his injury, and was given the number 2. ID must rate him.

Falco
08-12-2004, 04:55 PM
I would like to at least try him in centre midfield. Plus he provides an option as cover for Routledge. I cannot see any reason to think he would not take well to the premier league. We won't know until he is given a chance.

Jay_Palace
08-12-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm staggered that anyone can justify selling Butts.

He's my very favourite Palace player, and he offers so much to the team when he plays.

Selling him would be a gigantic error.

cpfc_spc1982
08-12-2004, 05:03 PM
butts is impressive ..... defensively boyce and leigertwood are better , distribution butts is better. tough one we are under the cosh a lot so we need better defenders but are we under the cosh as our players cant pass.

personally i think is dowie sees him as 3rd choice we might as well sell.

First safety
08-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Defensively Boyce is the better player but Butts gives much more in attacking options.Some one mentioned Butts in the play off final but in truth you need to look at the Coventry game at the end of last season when his error cost a bad goal.

In my view we ought to keep him at Palace and let him work for a place in the team.

cpfcben
08-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Butts has been outstanding for two years solid. He hasn't even been given a chance to shine in the premiership yet. All this talk of leaving I find quite horrific. Don't do it WOWIE DOWIE

gold76
08-12-2004, 05:28 PM
I'd be sad to see him leave. For me his versatility is the key, he provides vital cover in a variety of positions. When fully fit, he'll be back in the first team squad.

Clapham Grand
08-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
This is ridiculous - Butterfield is one of our best players. What a pointless idea.

Agreed. Would be very displeased if he went

Kirby
08-12-2004, 05:57 PM
On loan to get fitness, maybe.

Permanently? NO ••••••• WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

c_block_lad
08-12-2004, 06:00 PM
If Butterfield leaves it will show a huge lack of ambition by the football club, and we might as well say goodbye to our chances of us staying up if the likes of Butterfield are allowed to leave.

andymorris
08-12-2004, 06:02 PM
No, it can't happen. He's one of the true class players we have

Brett
08-12-2004, 06:02 PM
The whole idea is feckin ludicrous.

Apropos his reserve performances, he doesn't set the place alight, it's not his style. He impresses with his absolute consistency from game to game.

mojoeagle
08-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Please don't let this happen

Selhurst Guy
08-12-2004, 06:12 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
:veryangry :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

Sunny Fan
08-12-2004, 06:21 PM
I'd be sad if he does leave, but have been very impressed with Boyce.

I'm just scared that two of the three musketeers look like they're on their way out; please please please don't let this be an omen

silver
08-12-2004, 06:23 PM
please no

Sussex Eagle
08-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Would be an absolutely mental transfer. Yes, Boyce has done well and Liegertwood is a great prospect - but his natural position is centre back, and we of course need two out-and-out right backs. We're not going to get a better one than Danny easily if we realise that after the fact. Sort it out Palace.

Hedgehog
08-12-2004, 06:33 PM
It seems that Butts, Derry and AJ are a bit like the three amigos, and seem to be seen a lot out and about Bromley and Beckenham together.

It seems a bit worrying that if Butts were to go, and to be followed by Derry at some time soon, that would leave AJ without his buddies.

Anyone think this could affect his well-being and contentment with being at Palace, and even affect his form.

Jim Cannon
08-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Hedgehog
It seems that Butts, Derry and AJ are a bit like the three amigos, and seem to be seen a lot out and about Bromley and Beckenham together.

It seems a bit worrying that if Butts were to go, and to be followed by Derry at some time soon, that would leave AJ without his buddies.

Anyone think this could affect his well-being and contentment with being at Palace, and even affect his form.

Almost definitely, in any work place if your friends leave it's unsettling.

zonin2000
08-12-2004, 07:36 PM
:sob:

JJO
08-12-2004, 07:50 PM
This isn't the right Danny to ship out. The paper must have mixed Danny B. with Danny G (who is apparently the football equivelent of Kenny G).:o

conway
08-12-2004, 08:12 PM
This cannot be true!!!
Great player huge potential as a Premiership player. In fact he would be playing now if he hadn`t had the hamstring in pre-season.
I was at Anfield when we won and his tackle back racing 40 yds to disposses on the bye-line was the essence of that wonderful night
He must stay. Butts is the future of this Club and others like him.
Forget the fly by nights he is Palace through and through and will become a great player for us and I think also at a higher level

Bounce back
08-12-2004, 08:26 PM
no

Crunchie
08-12-2004, 08:44 PM
I agree with most people on this board.

It would be a huge mistake to let him go permanently, because when fit, to me he is still the best right back at the club.

Boyce is more like a versatile defender who could play at RB or CB, but would be best in the centre.

Leggy is a great talent, but to me (in his early stage of his career) is frightenly inconsistant. Brilliant one day, prone to mistakes the next.(Arsenal at home, then Man U away spring to mind).

I prefer Danny B's consistency, and works well with Wayne. He played quite well at old trafford to me even though he was clearly unfit.

I too think this is just bad journalism, and the competition for the right back spot will become fierce when Danny gets his fitness back.

That being the case, a loan spell for a month might not be a bad idea.

I.Flyer
08-12-2004, 09:51 PM
I really hope this is not true.

Danny has worked really hard for the team and been consistent. Just about to be rewarded for his efforts and he gets injured. Life and football are so unfair sometimes.

Thanet Eagle
08-12-2004, 09:56 PM
No way can I see Dowie letting a player as good as Butters go. If he does I will eat my hat.

Sir.S.C Remembered
08-12-2004, 10:15 PM
I really want us to keep Danny and although I rate Boyce I want to give him some games

the elusive k
08-12-2004, 10:42 PM
I really can't believe this can be true. As has been said, Danny has been immense since he joined and for me he really pushed AJ for player of the season last year.
I vaguely recall a quote from Dowie towards the end of last season saying that Danny was probably the best all round player at the club and a true professional. I still think this is the case and would be very downhearted if he were to leave.
Perhaps with the current form of Boyce, Danny could be used in midfield which would give Dowie an option to rest one of the current three midfield starters.
I'd prefer we didn't loan him out as all the players we loan out seem to leave the club shortly after.

BW_Palace
09-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Can't see why Danny would leave. Boyce is immense, but Danny is important cover for him and possibly midfield (where his long range distribution would be very useful, as at the moment we're stringing nothing together).

Ardent Eagle Forever
09-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! !!

Not Butts, our most consistent player over the last two years!!!

cpfcben
09-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Dowie has stated he's not going anywhere.

Calder2
09-12-2004, 09:37 AM
I will be very disappointed if Butterfield leaves the club in the near future.

sydnsteve
09-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Hope this is just press crap, as it is bad enough letting Powell go.

zonin2000
09-12-2004, 10:18 AM
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93760

BW_Palace
09-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Excellent. :D

SUMMARISED VERSION OF EVERYTHING DOWIE WAS ASKED AND SAID

Danny Butterfield is very much part of Dowie's plans. He's going to have to work hard, but Dowie turned down a move because he wants Danny to play for us...not anyone else.

hayles
09-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Butts deserves his place at palace, Let him play in the first team and he can prove to Dowie and Jordan that he is worth keeping!!!!

Butts to stay !!!! :lux:

CHE
09-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Spender

Just that he is better defensively and going forward though. Still, it's all about athleticism, isn't it?

CHE
09-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Pickle
IMO the best right back at the club is Boyce. In Mikele we have more than adequate cover. If we get a decent sum for Danny it wouldn't be the end of the world. Somehow i cant see it happening tho. As already mentioned, Danny recently signed a lengthy contract, played all games until his injury, and was given the number 2. ID must rate him.

Your opinion is off-beam then. Surely Boyce is one for the future, if anyone should be shipped out of these three it would be Leigertwood.

Jimbo ?
09-12-2004, 02:25 PM
wont happen, one of our top players and must be worth keeping until may and see which division and who stay/goes

Excowboy
09-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by CHE
Your opinion is off-beam then. Surely Boyce is one for the future, if anyone should be shipped out of these three it would be Leigertwood.

liegertwood is 22, boyce is 25

sydnsteve
09-12-2004, 03:25 PM
How can anyone say whether Butts would be any good in the Prem? It is totally ridiculous, as we have no idea, just as we don't with Powell. Who'd have thought Boyce would be so good, esp after the first few games when he was pretty poor (and nearly everyone on here, me included, was calling for Butts to get fit).
Based on games in Div1, Butterfield would have been one of the few you'd have backed to make it. Since plenty of others have shown it can be done, he must be given a chance.

Ruskin Old Boy
09-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Spot on sydnsteve. Call me sentimental but I'd love to see Butters playing in the Premiership. The guy had been almost ever-present since his free transfer from Grimsby.

Jukesy
09-12-2004, 03:46 PM
This thread can end.

Iain Dowie said last night that there is NO WAY Butterfield will be leaving Palace and he WILL be playing over xmas.

tasty_snacks
09-12-2004, 04:18 PM
of course coppell wants to bring in butts- who the hell wouldn't!?! boyce has done very well, but has not a patch on butts for quality and technique.

it's infuriating to see some of the same names posting in this thread about the need to trim the squad of fat, get in better quality players, and with the other hand dismiss butts and condone him moving out of the club. he was one of the only players i would have rated as being good enough for the premiership last season.

this is absoulute madness :bash:

tasty_snacks
09-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Jukesy
This thread can end.

Iain Dowie said last night that there is NO WAY Butterfield will be leaving Palace and he WILL be playing over xmas.

:lux:

Dillenger
09-12-2004, 05:26 PM
would be a good idea for a month loan to regain fitness

Jukesy
09-12-2004, 05:31 PM
STOP!!!!

He is not going anywhere

Scroatey
10-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by tasty_snacks
...he [Butterfield] was one of the only players i would have rated as being good enough for the premiership last seasonWhat he said :p

And I think like us Dowie has recognised he has a quality player in Danny B and he will be going NOWHERE :lux: