PDA

View Full Version : John Hartson

The Omen
09-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Well Trolley seems to be hinting at this with his 'inside' knowledge - although I've never seem him get anything right apart from stating the bleeding obvious!

Saying that though, I saw on the BBC site today that Hartson may be sold in the transfer window so maybe there could be something in it....

Personally, I would rather not see him in a Palace shirt.

LP
09-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Exactley what we need, I'd definately be happy with it.

PalaceMonkey
09-12-2004, 11:56 AM
i would have thought both transfer fee & wages would be too much

eagles #1
09-12-2004, 12:00 PM
No way will he come to Palace. Come on people lets be realistic here, yes we're Premiership but these players will be wanted by teams with a higher pedigree than us.

Radders
09-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
i would have thought both transfer fee & wages would be too much

He's not getting any younger so I can't see the fee being that ridiculous.
Just the type of player AJ would feed off. Would be a good move IMO.

Palace Please
09-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Don't really see he can offer that much more than Shipps?

If were are going to revert to the tactics needed for Hartson to prosper, we may as well give up!

Hartson is a fat pie muncher, always has been, always will be.

Asterisk
09-12-2004, 12:07 PM
I'd put him in the same catagory as Dennis Wise and Lee Bowyer as players I would hate to see in Palace shirt.

Radders
09-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
No way will he come to Palace. Come on people lets be realistic here, yes we're Premiership but these players will be wanted by teams with a higher pedigree than us.

In this case I don't think so.

Hartson is no spring chicken so the big clubs will not be interested. If he does return to the prem it will be the likes of ourselves and the Boltons, Blackburns and Southamptons (Especially if they cash in on Beattie) that will be looking for this type of player. Hartson will probably go for the best deal offered so it would depend on what we offered. Like him or loathe him, he's strong, hard, committed and knows where the goal is.

Palace Please
09-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Asterisk
I'd put him in the same catagory as Dennis Wise and Lee Bowyer as players I would hate to see in Palace shirt.

Totally Agree!!!!!

eagles #1
09-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Radders
In this case I don't think so.

Hartson is no spring chicken so the big clubs will not be interested. If he does return to the prem it will be the likes of ourselves and the Boltons, Blackburns and Southamptons (Especially if they cash in on Beattie) that will be looking for this type of player. Hartson will probably go for the best deal offered so it would depend on what we offered. Like him or loathe him, he's strong, hard, committed and knows where the goal is. I think you will find (sadly) that until we 'establish' ourselves in the Prem everyone will choose those teams over us.

La Bombonera
09-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
Personally, I would rather not see him in a Palace shirt.

If it is true ... luckily for Hartson that Diadora's shirt sizes are ample :p

Sussex Eagle
09-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Bit of a thug, but he might prove to be just what we need short-term ie: physical presence up front. Of course, it wouldn't be a Sussex Eagle post in the Transfer Hotline if I didn't mention that Nathan Ellington would be approximately 100 times better.

Kirby
09-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Hmmmmmm.

Could be prolific, could be a mess.

Would rather buy Ashton.

Radders
09-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I think you will find (sadly) that until we 'establish' ourselves in the Prem everyone will choose those teams over us.

Possibly, I think it will depend more on what is on offer rather than who is offering it. This may mean he is considered "mercenary" but if he scored 5 goals and set up 5 for AJ that kept us up I wouldn't give a monkeys!

Riccardo
09-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Kirby
Would rather buy Ashton.

For 5m or whatever Gradi wants for him ?!

I wouldn't mind seeing Hartson at CPFC. Wages would be v. high though...plus, would he really want to come to us ?

brighton_eagle
09-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Palace Please

Hehe....are you serious? :D

Hartson is a quality player, with a proven record at a high level and is capped for his country many times. I'd estimate he's about 4,000,000 times better than Shipps.

If he was interested I would be very keen on this. He'd offer us a real presence up front and AJ would have a field day playing off him. I think the wages would be a massive problem though.

eagles #1
09-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Radders
Possibly, I think it will depend more on what is on offer rather than who is offering it. This may mean he is considered "mercenary" but if he scored 5 goals and set up 5 for AJ that kept us up I wouldn't give a monkeys! And you dont think those teams would be offering more than we would?

Ballon
09-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Riccardo
[B

I wouldn't mind seeing Hartson at CPFC. Wages would be v. high though...plus, would he really want to come to us ? [/B]

He would look better in our vertical stripes that Celtics horizontal - should sell it to him!

:D

Igor Iconic
09-12-2004, 12:38 PM
I would welcome whoever ID brings in. Not sure we need Hartson though if we have Torghelle already.

gold76
09-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Would certainly do a job for us, can't see us agreeing terms though. I think he'll end up at somewhere like Spurs, they're crying out for a bulldozer type striker.

Owngoal
09-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I can remember him failing medicals on a suspect knee when he was at Arsenal and missing out on a couple of clubs because of it. Will it stop him getting insurance cover again?

KennyB
09-12-2004, 01:11 PM

Wise, I agree. Bowyer, I agree.

But what is so wrong with Hartson ?

As I said on another thread, we need someone up front who puts himself about a bit, and who can take the heat off AJ.

But I do appreciate he is not exactly a young footballer.
However, he would give us quite a presence in the box,

Clapham Grand
09-12-2004, 01:13 PM
it's an interesting one

eagles #1
09-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by KennyB
Wise, I agree. Bowyer, I agree.

But what is so wrong with Hartson ?

As I said on another thread, we need someone up front who puts himself about a bit, and who can take the heat off AJ.

But I do appreciate he is not exactly a young footballer.
However, he would give us quite a presence in the box, :D Sandor can put himself about abit!!

DrewHimself
09-12-2004, 01:14 PM
One of the worst professional players I have ever seen, he's a big lump, would be useless at this level.

Cyneagle
09-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Has long periods off with back injuries.

Radders
09-12-2004, 01:19 PM
And you dont think those teams would be offering more than we would?

Well I don't know!?! Which is why I said it depends on how much we offer!! :rolleyes: :D

Palace Please
09-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Just cant see the attraction at all to hartson. He was useless and a joke in our league and his goal scoring rate for the best team in Scot is hardly amazing!

Smacks of desperation to even consider him.

Lee B
09-12-2004, 01:23 PM
I'd love to see him in a Palace shirt.

A big Palace shirt.

The bloke's a winner.

Palace Please
09-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Where in England has he been a success?

1 good season with West Ham but thats it.

Shoreditch CPFC
09-12-2004, 01:30 PM
could be an inspired signing under the Dowie / Harbin team.

Shane
09-12-2004, 01:38 PM
A loan deal until the end of the season may suit all parties.

He is one of those strikers that makes an instant scoring impact upon joining and then fades to a little after that......With that in mind, he may well be just what we need to get more wins on the board in the new year.

Is certainly an Iain Dowie type player when you consider that he signed Torghelle and played Shipperley last season.

Niceaction
09-12-2004, 01:43 PM
I cant stand the bloke. But I reckon he would offer something we are missing.

mojoeagle
09-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Celtic arn't offering him a new contract as they can't afford him, IMO we don't have more money than Celtic. No chance of this happening.

CHE
09-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Kirby
Hmmmmmm.

Could be prolific, could be a mess.

Would rather buy Ashton.
agreed.

Duke
09-12-2004, 02:06 PM
don't like him but he could certainly keep us up - has always scored goals whereever he has been

these stats look pretty good to me for a player who is defo within our range
http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=3315

adrenalin john
09-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Shipperley's fat brother mmm long term bad buy but if we were to revert to 442 we might get a few good months out of him. One thing he isn't is nice or naive maybe he could provide some of the experience and beleif we need. Long term give me a Heidar Helgusson any day.

Chester
09-12-2004, 02:09 PM
sandor and hartson up front. better increase the police presence at selhurst in the future.

Holmesdale
09-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Club League Apps League Goals

Celtic 75 60
Coventry 12 6
Wimbledon 46 19
West Ham 59 24
Arsenal 43 14
Luton 32 11

Unquestionably a great goalscorer but too good and too expensive for Palace. He'll go to somewhere like Everton, Spurs or Villa.

Jimbo ?
09-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Holmesdale
Club League Apps League Goals

Celtic 75 60
Coventry 12 6
Wimbledon 46 19
West Ham 59 24
Arsenal 43 14
Luton 32 11

Unquestionably a great goalscorer but too good and too expensive for Palace. He'll go to somewhere like Everton, Spurs or Villa.

spot on! he is a key part of celtic now and I cant see him leaving them at the moment. record speaks for its self

SE25Eagle
09-12-2004, 02:35 PM

:eek: are you on drugs :eek:

lets be honest 99% of palace fans was gutted to see shipps come back, he's carrying at least 3 stone to much, has no pace, and isn't exactly the greatest in front of goal.

I'd be more than happy to see Hartson in Red and Blue :D

Marshy
09-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Hartson is out of contract at the end of the season so there wont be a big fee involved. Personally think he will leave Celtic but he has alledgedly been offered 1.5 nett per season to join someone in the bundesliga - so I think that will leave us out of the running!. Cant see it happening.

As a player I think he would be a good foil for AJ - he is big and strong, more intelligent than people give credit and his goal record speak for its self.

Webb
09-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by SE25Eagle
lets be honest 99% of palace fans was gutted to see shipps come back, he's carrying at least 3 stone to much, has no pace, and isn't exactly the greatest in front of goal.
I think your first two statements are a tad unfair, as Shipps is never going to be a pacey, take his man on and beat him sort of player, he was in the side for his aerial and his presense which was vital for the number of goals he created last year for AJ.

brighton_eagle
09-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by DrewHimself
One of the worst professional players I have ever seen, he's a big lump, would be useless at this level.

:eek:

A record of nearly a goal every two games having played in the top flight for 5 different sides and nearly 10 years.

What level exactly is it you are talking about?

Palace Please
09-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by SE25Eagle
:eek: are you on drugs :eek:

I'd be more than happy to see Hartson in Red and Blue :D

What more does he offer than Shipps?

Hartson is just a poor mans Heskey and Shipps is just a poor mans Hartson!

Whatever way, any team playing with these kind of players end up the same way! Playing s*it footy.

Do you want us to play like the old Wimbledon, who by no coincidence bought the fat ******** lump themselves!

Lets get young exciting strikers and play footy on the ground!

brighton_eagle
09-12-2004, 03:32 PM
What more does he offer than Shipps?

At the risk of repeating myself, again, a goal record of nearly one every two games at the top level, for a start.

Dave
09-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Good player - maybe too good for us - O'neil got the best from him be nice to see was the Dowies.

I can't believe people are slagging off someone who scores goals in Europe.

Palace Please
09-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
:eek:

A record of nearly a goal every two games having played in the top flight for 5 different sides and nearly 10 years.

What level exactly is it you are talking about?

He hasn't got a goal every other game (apart from Bloody Scotland) since his West Ham days!

He was s*it at The Dons and @ Coventry! We can do better than a fat pie muncher!

brighton_eagle
09-12-2004, 03:55 PM
He hasn't got a goal every other game (apart from Bloody Scotland) since his West Ham days!

He was s*it at The Dons and @ Coventry! We can do better than a fat pie muncher!

In ten years of playing in the top divisions in two countries he has averaged a goal nearly every two games. That is a fact borne out by his stats. He has scored goals at international level against tough opposition and in European competition.

And you think he's no better than Shipps?

markholmes1991
09-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Good player, cant see why hed sign for us though! Only real factor would be a return to the capital? If he became available would imagine at least 4/5 premiership teams to show interest. Word today is Redknapp is looking to sign him, to replace Beattie who looks set to depart Southampton in January. (HR also worked with Hartson during his time at West Ham)
Ashton seems a much more realistic target.

daz_eagle
09-12-2004, 04:03 PM
seems like a reasonable bloke in interviews and he did kick berkovic in the face (that's a positive in my book), but i still don't really like the guy. certainly preferable to that tosspot sutton on all counts though.

Palace Please
09-12-2004, 04:06 PM
In ten years of playing in the top divisions in two countries he has averaged a goal nearly every two games. That is a fact borne out by his stats. He has scored goals at international level against tough opposition and in European competition.

And you think he's no better than Shipps?

Stats say hes better and I dont doubt he has had a better carrer but if you check what I said, I doubt whether he can offer more than shipps to us, Crystal Palace.

I also do not think he has the ability to score that kind a goal ratio in prem now.

His goal record as a career as better than say Defo or Beattie but I know who I'd rather have. (not sugessting these re realistic targets mind!)

I dunno just wish we could go for someone more like Ashton. Offer us a bit more extiement rather than checking loads of money on in my opinion a rsik!

brighton_eagle
09-12-2004, 04:08 PM
I think Ashton would be more of a risk to be honest. Hartson has actually been proven at this level. No-one knows yet whether Ashton could do it.

Palace Please
09-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Perhaps Perhaps!!!

I spose it's all guessing really!

At the end of the day, I'm just glad we can trust Dowie, whatever he decides!!

brighton_eagle
09-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Very true.

markholmes1991
09-12-2004, 04:18 PM
I think Ashton would be more of a risk to be honest. Hartson has actually been proven at this level. No-one knows yet whether Ashton could do it.

yes, but he wouldn't command half the wages Hartson would want. I have no doubt Ashton WILL go onto great things. Trust me!
If Hartson were to leave Celtic this will no doubt be "his last big money move" which is why I think we should look elsewhere!

Scroatey
09-12-2004, 04:37 PM
I'd put him in the same catagory as Dennis Wise and Lee Bowyer as players I would hate to see in Palace shirt. Sorry but this is the real World, John Hartson, along with Wise and Bowyer are players I'd love to see in a Palace shirt.

As I said on the thread concerning us losing "heroes" of the promotion campaign like Freedman, Derry and Powell, there is no room for sentimentality if you want to stay up in the Premiership.

If Hartson displayed the hunger and fitness required of a Dowie/Harbin player then I'd welcome him with open arms.

Radders
09-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Good player - maybe too good for us - O'neil got the best from him be nice to see was the Dowies.

I can't believe people are slagging off someone who scores goals in Europe.

I can't believe it either. some are showing what they really know. i.e. zilch.

Radders
09-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by markholmes1991
Good player, cant see why hed sign for us though! Only real factor would be a return to the capital? If he became available would imagine at least 4/5 premiership teams to show interest. Word today is Redknapp is looking to sign him, to replace Beattie who looks set to depart Southampton in January. (HR also worked with Hartson during his time at West Ham)
Ashton seems a much more realistic target.

I said exactly that about if Southampton sell Beattie earlier. Redknapp may have had Hartson at W Ham too.

Ashton & Ellington a lot have said are "more realistic targets" but I just think it's the other way round. Someone big will swoop for Ashton as he is a proven goalscorer at Div 1 level and is one most expect to step up to Prem level in the right team. Bigger clubs than us will be in for Ashton but clubs on our level would be competing for Hartsons signature.

Ruskin Old Boy
09-12-2004, 05:02 PM
In response to an email asking for his opinion a Celtic supporting chum writes "beware the ginger whinger!!"

c_block_lad
09-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Would be a massive singning for us, always rated him very highly.

The Omen
09-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Don't know why, I just can't see him being the type of player we need. I don't deny he's a lot better than some of the other strikers we have though - including Shipperly.

Not sure why people think he is too good for us. I really don't share that view at all and seem him as a more possible signing than Ashton who has been linked to much bigger clubs than us.

cpfc_spc1982
09-12-2004, 05:52 PM
hartson would boss defenders put hes got poor fitness , mobility and technique.
ashton at least can play target man and can play football as well.

Gooders
09-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Would be a massive signing for us...

In every sense of that word.

Would rather have Sutton, TBH.

ultra_combo
09-12-2004, 06:06 PM
NO, NO, NO, dear god NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Radders
09-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
Don't know why, I just can't see him being the type of player we need. I don't deny he's a lot better than some of the other strikers we have though - including Shipperly.

Not sure why people think he is too good for us. I really don't share that view at all and seem him as a more possible signing than Ashton who has been linked to much bigger clubs than us.

100% Spot on!:p

silver
09-12-2004, 08:02 PM
i live in wales please we dont want him

DANCOO
09-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Would never want him playing for Palace after what he did to his team mate...can't remember who, but he kicked him in the head in training. ( This has probably already been mentioned, but I can't be arsed to read the whole thread ).

Ben H
09-12-2004, 09:51 PM
I would like to see him at Palace. Just what we, and AJ needs. A target man with a proven goal scoring record at Premiership level (and Europe). The people who mock him know jack IMHO.

And Berkovic deserved it.:)

Twin of Droy
09-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Those are good goal stats.
He must have assissted with at least that many again.
Think of all those knock downs AJ could chase.

Crunchie
09-12-2004, 10:12 PM
This fills me with the same dread as when I first heard about the Akinbiyi rumours.

TonbridgeEagle
09-12-2004, 10:38 PM
People seem to knock Hartson because they don't like him as a person (I know I did), but in the real world, he gets results.

How anyone can say he's a poor man's Heskey is beyond me. Though Heskey definately isn't playing to his best at the moment, so that might be a tad unfair.

Hartson and AJ up front would be amazing - which is why I'm hoping that Shipps regains his place in the first team. Not enough people, for my liking, appreciate what Shipps has done for CPFC.

jim the eagle
09-12-2004, 11:00 PM
surely we can do better then him . may be james beatiee

JHJ EAGLE
09-12-2004, 11:14 PM
NO, NO, NO and again NO!
:bash: :bash: :bash:
Dean Ashton is a much better proposition:p

ANDYEAGLE
09-12-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
In every sense of that word.

Would rather have Sutton, TBH.

So would I Gooders he would certainly do a job for us. Realistically both would demand too much in wages. Ashton will probably go elsewhere and we will be looking overseas again for a striker as we cant compete with other premier clubs for the bid strikers. I hope Ventola gets fit and solves our problem,still think our priorities lie in other positions.

Cleon
10-12-2004, 12:35 PM
I couldn't care about Hartson as a person, but as a player... I still wouldn't bother. He's scoring fairly reguarly for the team with the best service in Scotland. He was no great shakes with Wimbledon (or Arsenal and Coventry), and simply had a short purple patch with West Ham before that. We might as well save our money for a decent left back and put Shipperley abck in the side if we are just looking for knockdowns.

cpfcben
10-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Hertha eye Hartson move

Hertha Berlin claim they are moving closer to signing Celtic striker John Hartson.

Hartson's future at Parkhead has been thrown into doubt as contract talks with Celtic become increasingly protracted.

The Welshman will be free to speak to other clubs in January, given that his current deal expires in the summer, and Hertha are believed to be one of a number of sides waiting in the wings.

The Bundesliga club are hopeful of landing the big striker.

General manager Dieter Hoeness told the Daily Record: "It is our policy never to discuss the individual players but there is no doubt that we are interested in getting a new forward in for the summer.

"Our scouts are watching a number of possible signings and it is correct that John Hartson is a player we are looking at.

"We are now closing the fishing net in more and more.

"We started with a big list of targets and there are fewer and fewer names on it. But Hartson is still there.

"We have had talks with his agent in the last week but I can't say any more than that. I don't comment on intermediate results.

"Let's just say that Hartson is a player we are following very closely."

arussell
10-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Well that's good news at least :)

SE25Eagle
04-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Just read he could be on he's way out of Celtic, would love to see him next to AJ, he's big,strong and can finish as well, and loves to battle

st albans
04-01-2005, 03:33 PM
very old news.

SE25Eagle
04-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by st albans
very old news.

well i'm sorry for breathing Mr ITK himself.

Sick Bucket
04-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Interesting, Fat Jones the welsh man (as I heard a Rangers fan call him) is not one of my favourite figures in football but would indeed be exactly what we want.

aadams
04-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Would he suit our hard working play?
Anyway he will be off to Blackburn with all the other welsh internationals now that Mark Hughes is there

Daddy Long
04-01-2005, 03:40 PM
He's cack. I remember watching him lumber about for Wimbledon and praising all that is holy that he didn't play for us.

Sir.S.C Remembered
04-01-2005, 03:45 PM
We would not get him over Blackburn but he would be great next to AJ even if he is a bit dirty.

Walsh-Palace
04-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Good Player, love him to come to Palace

Chris K
04-01-2005, 03:48 PM
When I saw that Blackburn were after him I also thought that we should go in for him. I think him and AJ would be very effective together.

joe walker
04-01-2005, 03:50 PM
hes top scorer in spl

just shows how shite scottish football has become

DO NOT BUY HIM, PLEASE!!!!

SE25Eagle
04-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by joe walker
hes top scorer in spl

just shows how shite scottish football has become

DO NOT BUY HIM, PLEASE!!!!

I suppose you'd rather see Neil Shipperly in the team...:rolleyes: :bash:

Smythson
04-01-2005, 03:59 PM
fat and ugly in a poor league

Trolley
05-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Smythson
fat in a poor league

I know for a FACT that several moons ago, the laddie was known to some of his friends as "Gutso".

:)

Kirby
05-01-2005, 05:01 PM
WOW

AndyStreet
05-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Trolley
I know for a FACT that several moons ago, the laddie was known to some of his friends as "Gutso".

:)

You really should make sure you phone Reuters newsdesk with these "exclusives."

They're wasted on the likes of us.

Quick, go now Trolley, for the good of the nation.

Sir.S.C Remembered
07-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Signed a new 2 year deal with Celtic