PDA

View Full Version : Jason Euell

Lee B
10-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Heard that he's fallen out with Curbishley and could be leaving the Clowns in January. I think that he would be an excellent signing. 2.5 million is the asking price apparently. Any thoughts?

cpfcben
10-12-2004, 01:08 PM
way too expensive. 1 million max.

zonin2000
10-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Might be, might not be. We don't know enough about his personality; how he'd fit in at the club is, nowadays, every bit as important as a player's ability. It's up to Dowie and his staff to assess this.

But, yeah, he's got some quality about him.

kolinkins
10-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Would be a good addition as a thrid central midfielder.

cpfc_spc1982
10-12-2004, 01:10 PM
good center midfielder who would definatly support the attack well.

arussell
10-12-2004, 01:11 PM
No thanks, his best years are behind him.

BLUE BOY
10-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Could be the goal scoring midfielder we need.

gold76
10-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Would get alot of goals from midfielder, a useful addition imo.

Ian Dowie
10-12-2004, 01:23 PM
how old is he

75points
10-12-2004, 01:24 PM
500k only

cpfc_spc1982
10-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Ian Dowie
how old is he

about 27/28

KungFuCharlie
10-12-2004, 01:39 PM
2.5M? Madness.

Lambeth Palace
10-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Can't get into a very poor Charlton side. As 75points has suggested, 500k tops.

MikeyDread
10-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Lee B
Heard that he's fallen out with Curbishley and could be leaving the Clowns in January. I think that he would be an excellent signing. 2.5 million is the asking price apparently. Any thoughts?

I'm sure he won't be on a large salary and so think he would be a good addition to the squad and after last weeks performance it looks like we need to get some competition going for most positions in the team.

kolinkins
10-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by arussell

Doesnt mean he doesnt have good years ahead of him....

we_8_brighton
10-12-2004, 02:51 PM
No thanks.

MikeyDread
10-12-2004, 03:03 PM

Blimey, you are an ageist at 28 if hes is past it then we shoul definitely lower the retiring age rather than extending it past 65 :eek:

Mr. Eagle
11-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Just the sort of player we need. I have always rated the guy. Would fit in no problem and he would do a job for us. 750k - 1m max. At least we would know what were getting for our money. Jason just needs a fresh challenge and bit of Dowie and Harbin inspiration.

arussell
11-12-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by MikeyDread
Blimey, you are an ageist at 28 if hes is past it then we shoul definitely lower the retiring age rather than extending it past 65 :eek:

Not at all, you've missed the point there.

He adds nothing to what we already have, and hasn't done anything at the Clowns to suggest a reason why we'd be interested.

Braders
11-12-2004, 08:50 AM
No ta :(

cpfc_spc1982
11-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Not at all, you've missed the point there.

He adds nothing to what we already have, and hasn't done anything at the Clowns to suggest a reason why we'd be interested.

height in advanced areas?
goals from midfield?

Tommy Pickle
11-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Would take him straight away for 500k. Not sure i'd pay too much more. Right now i would do anything for a c midfielder who could do the job alongside just 1 other c midfielder.

boxing francis
11-12-2004, 08:49 PM
If we could get him for a bargain then yes

Clapham Grand
12-12-2004, 12:44 AM
2.5m is way too much

nicky
13-12-2004, 12:52 AM
I think hed be good playing behind Johnson

gjtango
13-12-2004, 01:00 AM

NO

chelmsfordeagle
13-12-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
height in advanced areas?
goals from midfield?

yes to both, plus competiton in the midfield, currently we have none. he also adds top level experience.

Timbo
13-12-2004, 02:25 AM
Just become a Jamaican international but I don't think he will get many more games for them since the funds have dried up due to failure to qualify for World Cup

Clapham Grand
13-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Same story has appeared on independent Charlton site

http://charltonathletic.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=905&p=2&stid=8367810

interesting to see his agent is Tony Finnigan...

davematt
13-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Same story has appeared on independent Charlton site

interesting to see his agent is Tony Finnigan...

Please no.

He is rubbish. Why do you think Charlton want to get rid of him.

Benzhiyi
13-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by davematt
He is rubbish.

Is he? Who would you like to play in an attacking midfield role for us, then? Deco, Stevie Gerrard, Robert Pires perhaps?

I think he'd be the perfect foil for AJ, but then again I also can't see him ever coming to Palace...

PhilD
13-12-2004, 02:07 PM
I've always rated Euell. I think he's a realistic target although 2 mil seems a little overpriced in my opinion. Still I think the time has come for us to buy proven quality rather than just potential and Euell fits that model.

davematt
13-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Is he? Who would you like to play in an attacking midfield role for us, then? Deco, Stevie Gerrard, Robert Pires perhaps?

I think he'd be the perfect foil for AJ, but then again I also can't see him ever coming to Palace...

He is not a attacking midfielder. He is a striker who Alan Curbishly has tried and failed to turn into a attacking midfielder. There are better options out there for 2million. He was very good at Wimbledon, but has not done much at Charlton.

Benzhiyi
13-12-2004, 02:47 PM
He is not a attacking midfielder. He is a striker who Alan Curbishly has tried and failed to turn into a attacking midfielder. There are better options out there for 2million. He was very good at Wimbledon, but has not done much at Charlton.

I completely disagree with all your points.

He was a reasonable forward at Wimbledon, who only hit top form when he was converted into an attacking midfielder at Charlton. He scored ten league goals in the Premiership last season, ten the season before, most of those from midfield. And his goalscoring ratio with Charlton, where he has usually played in midfield, is better than it was as a striker at Wimbledon.

Can you name me a Palace midfielder who will get even half that number of goals this season? Tell you what, if the player you name manages ten, I'll pay you 20 quid on the day they pass that mark. You have it here, in writing.

davematt
13-12-2004, 02:54 PM

He was a reasonable forward at Wimbledon, who only hit top form when he was converted into an attacking midfielder at Charlton. He scored ten league goals in the Premiership last season, ten the season before, most of those from midfield. And his goalscoring ratio with Charlton, where he has usually played in midfield, is better than it was as a striker at Wimbledon.

Can you name me a Palace midfielder who will get even half that number of goals this season? Tell you what, if the player you name manages ten, I'll pay you 20 quid on the day they pass that mark. You have it here, in writing.

Well I just feel that he is not what we need. Charlton fans last year were critizing Alan Curbishley for playing him in midfield, but if you say he is, I am sure your right. Signing a player like this for 2,000,000 is a rip off. We already have players as good, or even better in kaviedes & Lakis.

Falco
13-12-2004, 03:21 PM

Agreed, 2 million sounds too expensive, but he is a proven premiership player who has always scored goals whether it is upfront or in midfield. Seems to me a good player who has gone rather stale in a decidedly stale looking team. We could do much worse.

SpikeyMatt
13-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Wouldn't say no to having him here.

Decent, solid player, 27 years old, experienced-ish and can score goals at this level.

Good player IMO.

Geezer
13-12-2004, 03:28 PM

Yep, I was amazed that Charlton paid that much for him in the first place, 4 or 5mill wasn't it?

Il Padrino
14-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Being linked with us here-

GUCCI Eagle
14-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Not too sure.

Jim Cannon
14-12-2004, 10:00 AM
No

Freddy Kurz
14-12-2004, 10:03 AM
With the right motivation, he would be the kind of powerful, goal-scoring
midfield/forward who could help keep us in the Premier League.
Up to the end of 2003/4 he had scored 72 goals in 244 games
for Wimbledon and Charlton, making over 30+ League appear-
ances over the last 6 consecutive seasons - a remarkable
level of consistency for anyone playing at the top level.

Il Padrino
14-12-2004, 10:04 AM
I think its the Tony Finnegan connection and nothing else

hilairehair
14-12-2004, 10:05 AM
2 million is a bit steep isn't it?

BW_Palace
14-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Being linked with us here-

And here... ;)

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96744&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

Freddy Kurz
14-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by hilairehair
2 million is a bit steep isn't it?

With his excellent goal-scoring record and regular first team appearances
over several seasons (many at Premier League level ), together with his
relatively young age of 27 how can 2m be steep? Fitz Hall, with 44
games for Oldham in D2 and 11 for Southampton in the Premier League
cost us 1.5m.

Freddy Kurz
14-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Please no.

He is rubbish. Why do you think Charlton want to get rid of him.

Can you please give us your definition of "rubbish"?

Why do you think Palace got rid of Ian Wright?!

davematt
14-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
Can you please give us your definition of "rubbish"?

Ok, maybe rubbish is abit strong, but he is an average player who would add nothing to the squad. We need to be looking at better players to avoid relegation. Personally, I dont think we should sign him, but If Iain thinks he good enough, I hope I am wrong.

BW_Palace
14-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Not rubbish, just surplus to requirements. We have to accept that Charlton are a bigger club than us and even their 'poorer' players would probably do a job for us.

Look at Fitz Hall for example - out of favour there but he's a great defender for us (if you ignore the distribution ;)).

Panther
14-12-2004, 10:35 AM
I'd be reluctant to go as high as 2m but we'd all surely admit that a few goals from someone other than AJ would be welcome.

Freddy Kurz
14-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Ok, maybe rubbish is abit strong, but he is an average player who would add nothing to the squad. We need to be looking at better players to avoid relegation. Personally, I dont think we should sign him, but If Iain thinks he good enough, I hope I am wrong.

davematt, it really is time for Palace supporters to realise that Jordan
hasn't got the kind of money to bid for top talent. What we can do,
as Sam Allardyce is doing at Bolton and Harry Redknapp did at Pompey,
is to bring in "average" grafters and battlers with top-level experience
and ambition, fashion them into a team and motivate them into play-
ing better than they ever did before. Palace also have two "gems"
in AJ and Wayne and along with a few, experienced, "average" players like Euell could well be enough to enable Dowie to kick-start our season.

davematt
14-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
davematt, it really is time for Palace supporters to realise that Jordan
hasn't got the kind of money to bid for top talent. What we can do,
as Sam Allardyce is doing at Bolton and Harry Redknapp did at Pompey,
is to bring in "average" grafters and battlers with top-level experience
and ambition, fashion them into a team and motivate them into play-
ing better than they ever did before. Palace also have two "gems"
in AJ and Wayne and along with a few, experienced, "average" players like Euell could well be enough to enable Dowie to kick-start our season.

Ok, but I dont think Jason Euell is all that. He may be a good signing, but I would prefer us to sign a few youngsters from the 'Championship' who would not want huge wages. Anyway, 2,000,000 is alot of money, so saying that SJ hasn't got the money is abit off the mark. That 2million could be spent on a young striker or midfielder who has much more potential and ability that Jason Euell.

Cleon
14-12-2004, 10:54 AM
He's a good player, and exactly the type of player that I feel we lack at the moment. He's somebody that could very well fitting in behind AJ in our current formation. Whether or not he's worth 2M is a side-issue. Charlton have historically tried to screw us on deals, so I wouldn't expect a bargain if we did want him.

mojoeagle
14-12-2004, 11:01 AM
I thought he was a strike. If we could get him for under 2million could be good business

Jimbo ?
14-12-2004, 12:46 PM
2M for an out of favour striker who is no superstar seems alot, but then again I said that about james beattie

cpfcben
14-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Alan says no.Curbs: Euell is staying

Charlton manager Alan Curbishley says Jamaica international Jason Euell will not be leaving in the January transfer window.

The 27-year-old has not started a Premiership game since the 2-1 home defeat by Middlesbrough on 30 October.

But Curbishley told the club's official website: "Jason extended his contract in the summer. It's easy for players that are not playing to think about moving away, but as far as I'm concerned when we go into a season the squad I have is there for the year.

"He isn't happy obviously because he wants to play, especially when we play with three central midfielders - he would really relish that - but he'll have to wait for his chance.

"Jason has been our top goalscorer in the last three seasons and if he's not in the side then he has to work to get back into it - but he can't take the easy route. At the moment he's a Charlton player and that's how I want it."

Jay_Palace
14-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Great player, I think that he would add a new dimention to our play.

I can't believe that people don't rate him.

Addickted
14-12-2004, 02:36 PM
From the Offical CAFC Site:

Alan Curbishley has dismissed rumours that record signing Jason Euell is surplus to requirements and may be allowed to leave the club in January.

The player's agent had reportedly suggested that the former Wimbledon striker sees no future for himself at The Valley, after making just six Premiership starts in the current campaign.

But the Charlton boss insists the 27-year-old Jamaica international is staying in SE7.

"Jason extended his contract in the summer," explained Curbishley.

"It's easy for players that are not playing to think about moving away, but as far as I'm concerned when we go into a season the squad I have is there for the year.

"He isn't happy obviously because he wants to play, especially when we play with three central midfielders - he would really relish that - but he'll have to wait for his chance."

He added: "Jason has been our top goalscorer in the last three seasons and if he's not in the side then he has to work to get back into it - but he can't take the easy route.

"At the moment he's a Charlton player and that's how I want it."

Curbishley also denied he had been involved in a row with his 4.75m signing - or any of his other players.

"Jason and I haven't had a bust-up - and I also have never had a row with Dennis Rommedahl. People just want to write these things," said Alan.

The Addicks boss, who oversaw a second successive away victory at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday to take Charlton up to eighth in the table, added: "The squad is as strong as I can get it at the moment.

"Mark Fish is back with the squad and Jonatan Johansson is already in light training, while Kevin Lisbie and Chris Perry are about a week away from training again.

"We will need them all in the Christmas period."

cpfcben
14-12-2004, 02:42 PM
old news.......

Addickted
14-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by cpfcben
old news.......

And there was me thinking you were still concerned about Mark Fish :D

LP
14-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Sorry to be pedantic, but does he have an agent who needs paying?

SelhurstSuperstar
14-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Just like to say how fantastic i think this news is. My flat mate is a clowntown fan, so i don't care how well he does for us I'm just enjoying the fact he obvously wants a move to a bigger club. Superb.

Dillenger
14-12-2004, 03:42 PM
always rated euell, love to see us sign him.

would give us extra options as can play in both attack and midfield, so we could alter the 4-5-1 to a 4-4-2 without substitutions

Dobbo
14-12-2004, 04:16 PM
A colleague who's a Clown fan says
" I like him...doesnt fit in the Charlton system at the moment,
but he's been in the prem top 3 scorers from midfield for 3 yrs.
..always works hard, telescopic tackle, slightly iffy 1st touch,
rasping shot when he winds up etc etc...I wouldnt like to see
him go for just 2m...

Pokerface
14-12-2004, 04:48 PM
I'd love to see Euell come to Palace . The key issue, as mentioned, is any transfer should be for the right price. I played with him for a youth team ages ago and, unless money and relative fame has changed him, he has the right character and work ethic to fit in nicely. A goalscoring, under-rated midfielder is just what we need (though funny enough he was our goalie).

nomad
14-12-2004, 08:12 PM

The last time we spent that sort of money was on Akinbiyi. He wasn't worth anywhere near that figure and nor is Euell.

Addickted
27-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Addickted
"We will need them all in the Christmas period."

Which means he will be available in January. ;)

It'll be interesting to see if he is in our FA Cup squad on Jan 8th.

Celestial Empire
27-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Which means he will be available in January. ;)

It'll be interesting to see if he is in our FA Cup squad on Jan 8th.

So, what do you think of him ?

ANDYEAGLE
27-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by nomad
The last time we spent that sort of money was on Akinbiyi. He wasn't worth anywhere near that figure and nor is Euell.

He is certainly better than Akinbiyi but there is no way we would pay 2.5 million for him more like half that, money is much tighter nowdays.

John C
11-01-2005, 10:51 AM
The Daily Express say that Southampton are going to bid 2.5m for him

Bigfatfishface
12-01-2005, 09:29 PM
I think he would be exactly what we need to bolster our attack and take the pressure off of johnson. He would fit in perfectly playing just behind Johnson and not only would he be great for setting him up, he's also been Charltons top scorer for the last few seasons.

Jay_Palace
12-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by John C
The Daily Express say that Southampton are going to bid 2.5m for him

Highly, highly unlikely.

He's not worth that much.

<_tece_>
12-01-2005, 10:55 PM
No. Euell is over-rated. And he's not even rated very highly.

Clapham Grand
13-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Charlton are not selling him

The Vicar
13-01-2005, 12:03 PM
How about a straight trade: disloyal Wayne for Euall?

Or Wayne for Euall plus some cash.

Another way of looking at it...we need a quality centre mid and/or attacking mid who can score a few goals and lay on some goals for AJ.

Let's use Wayne as leverage for a trade that will improve the squad. We might have more success getting the players we want through this strategy.

John C
28-01-2005, 03:42 PM
FOR GOD SAKE, BUY HIM........
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=252619

Addickted
28-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Good player.

In poor form.

lordanton
03-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Apparently we tried to buy him for 2.75 million but it was rejected.

Phil O'Sophical
03-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Here's the comment from Sky Sports

Curbs rebuffed 2.5m bid
by Adam Marshall - created on 3 Feb 2005

Charlton Athletic manager Alan Curbishley has confirmed he rejected a 2.5 million bid from Crystal Palace for Jason Euell.

The Addicks boss is loathe to lose the Jamaica international, particularly as he admits he may be reverting his formation back to 4-4-2 soon.
Euell's versatility has been unable to aid his cause for a regular start at The Valley and Francis Jeffers is another big name upset at being left on the sidelines.

After Palace chairman Simon Jordan revealed he had tabled a bid for Euell last month, Curbishley responded on Charlton's official website.
"Simon Jordan has a lot to say for himself," stated Curbishley.
"He didn't speak to me, he spoke to the chairman Richard Murray and, when it was passed on to me, it was dismissed.
"Simple as that.

"When I look at Robbie Savage going for 3 million and Barry Ferguson going for 4.5 million, 2.5 million for Jason wasn't going to tempt me.
"And I didn't want to sell him anyway."

gold76
03-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Although he's not been in the best of form recently, I think the goals he would have brought would have been an asset to our survival hopes. Maybe the deal could be resurrected in the summer if we stay up.

HappyLarry
03-02-2005, 06:20 PM
To be honest I think we've been fortunate that Curbishley didn't want to sell him to us - wasn't worth the 4.5m they paid for him & is certainly not worth the 2.75m we offered (Another lucky escape with Zamora as well).

Is the "Simon Jordan has a lot to say for himself" comment a reference to Jordans comments about him expecting us, if we stay up, to consolidate our positon in the premier league but then go on to acheive more and be bigger than the Boltons & Charltons of the world. I believe he said this just before Charlton beat us!

Also, when did Jordan say he spoke to Curbishley - the Guardian article says exactly what Curbishley has said - the offer was provisionally accepted but the manager didn't want to sell. The only difference between the two articles or statement is the tone of them.

forsells no1 fan
03-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Think the money they wanted for him would of been too much if they rejected 2.75million. If these finances were available then its a shame we didnt put it to good use in January!

maestro
04-02-2005, 02:18 AM
I think he would of been a good buy, hes athletic and strong and fits in with the dowie mould.

2.5 is alot of money but would take him over a player like ashton

Icarus
04-02-2005, 05:50 AM
With the transfer window closed are we allowed to take on loan signings? I know we can bring in free players tho what about loan signings?

chelmsfordeagle
04-02-2005, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Icarus
With the transfer window closed are we allowed to take on loan signings? I know we can bring in free players tho what about loan signings?

no loan signings

Gooders
04-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Crappishly quoted in the currant bun today:

When I look at Robbie Savage going for 3million and Barry Ferguson going for 4.5, 2.5 million for Jason wasn't going to tempt me.

Now don't get me wrong, I do think Euell has some quality but if Crappishly thinks that a guy that can't even get a place in Chortletons team is as good as the nutty Welshman who is the hub of every team he plays for, he's dreaming.

Addickted
04-02-2005, 08:48 AM
But Savage is 42. :)

"Crappishly" :S: :S: That's really pathetic for you Gooders.

eagles #1
04-02-2005, 08:54 AM

"Crappishly" :S: :S: That's really pathetic for you Gooders. I agree.

Essexeagle
04-02-2005, 09:00 AM
Reading this thread, I find it quite amusing when juxtaposed with the masses of people criticising Jordan on another thread for putting bids in which he knew were far too low.

Before the deadline, I don't think one person thought Euell was worth anywhere near 2.5m. In fact, it seems that the asking price was 2.5m.

Gooders
04-02-2005, 10:32 AM
But Savage is 42. :)

"Crappishly" :S: :S: That's really pathetic for you Gooders.

I like to dumb down occasionally.

Euell is a lot older than I thought he was.

If I had the choice between 2 seasons of Savage or 4 of Euell I wouldn't have to even think about it.

Clapham Grand
04-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Gooders

Now don't get me wrong, I do think Euell has some quality but if Crappishly thinks that a guy that can't even get a place in Chortletons team is as good as the nutty Welshman who is the hub of every team he plays for, he's dreaming.

Agree. To value Euell over 1.5m is laughable

Supa Ol
04-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Curbishley seems to have a deep dislike for Palace. He just wants to put one over on us in any way he can, whether its demanding over the odds prices for his players or trying to pick up ours for next to nothing.

A Charlton-supporting friend of mine said that everyone at Charlton took great exception to a quote SJ made when he took over Palace which was something along the lines of 'I've bought the biggest team in South London'. When Charlton went 4th in the league a few seasons back Curbishley's programme notes said something like 'Not bad for only the 2nd biggest team in South London' which I thought was astounding considering we were in the division below at the time. It shows the pettiness and small club mentality of Curbishley IMO.