PDA

View Full Version : Why is Kolkka subbed every week?

Clapham Grand
12-12-2004, 12:29 AM
I think today's subbing of Kolkka for Lakis yet again finally tested the patience of the crowd too much - and mumblings of discontent were clearly audible.

Kolkka was one of our main attacking threats, and constantly delivers good passes and finds space. Wheras Lakis misses sitter upon sitter.

Is there an agenda against the Finn?

Is he unfit?

Or has Dowie lost faith in him?:(

Essexeagle
12-12-2004, 12:31 AM
In my honest opinion - it's easier than subbing Wayne.

It's good to have a winger on the bench as it means you can replace one of your widemen if needed.

But it doesn't always looks like it's being done on merit.

Celestial Empire
12-12-2004, 01:50 AM
There was a much stronger case for bringing Lakis on for a central mid-fielder (Watson or Hughes).
Could be because John Harbin reckons his (Kolkka) fitness is still not high enough ?

Brett
12-12-2004, 01:55 AM
Because he's not a Dowie favourite?

Woops, did I say that out loud?

glaziers fan
12-12-2004, 01:57 AM
It's especially strange as Kolkka is the only attacking player we have with half a left-foot. Our whole shape went when he left the pitch. I think if Kolkka is drifting out of games but is taking up good positions it's not his fault. He should be given the ball more and kept on the pitch! If on the other hand he is trying to beat his man and failing that's a different matter. However the latter hasn't been the case all season!

Wayne continues to frustrate. I hope he signs but his body language suggested to me for the first time today that he thinks he should be somewhere else. Can't understand why the lad doesn't want to get the whole episode over and done with. Having said that I actually think Spurs would be a good move for him as I think he has a genuine chance of getting a game there now.

In other words I agree with you.

:p

Moonbeam
12-12-2004, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Brett

Dowie isn't begging Joonas to sign a new contract is he?

HARRY MONK
12-12-2004, 06:50 AM
it should be routledge off first everytime once again yesterday he could not get past a 15 stone dominic matteo and why he keeps taking corners just confuses me. he needs to be rested but dowie is to scared to drop him in case he wont sign a new deal.

Les Butler
12-12-2004, 06:52 AM
What I have seen of Kolkka on TV I thought what a great player,he was beating the defence and getting great crosses in.

At times he has looked our only threat to open up and attack...Then he is taken off ?

Don't understand it.

Ruskin Old Boy
12-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Have written about this on at least two other threads - loud cries of No when number 22 was shown on the indicator board.

Subbing Joonas every game is easier than subbing Wayne is it not ...

BaldEagle96
12-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Subbing Joonas every game is easier than subbing Wayne is it not ...

In which case why sub either of them??

Joonas is proving to be a real asset and is starting to really run at defenders. Trouble is when he does get his crosses in we never have more than 2 people in the box and neither of them are taller than 5 foot odd!

tonkers
12-12-2004, 12:02 PM
He subs kolkka instead of wayne because dowie wants wayne to sign a new contract, so he is trying not to sub him

Trist
12-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by BaldEagle96

Joonas is proving to be a real asset and is starting to really run at defenders. Trouble is when he does get his crosses in we never have more than 2 people in the box and neither of them are taller than 5 foot odd!
Exactly... Joonas is a major threat when we go forward down the wing but by playing 4-5-1 it we never seem to get many bodies in the box. The logical solution would be to a switch to a 4-4-2 with a taller player alongside AJ (probably Sandor). Problem is I'm not sure we'd survive with 2 wide men and just the two in the middle of the park.

Kevan Woz Awful
12-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Might as well sub him, the other players ignore him and the spaces he creates for himself most of the time anyway.

On numerous occasions yesterday Joonas was in acres of space on the left and once again Hughes, Watson or Hall swung the pass to the right - exactly where we had no-one.

When he was allowed to join in the game he made some excellent crosses - for which no-one was in a position to make use of.

Let him join in and we might see more of what he can do.

eagles #1
12-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Its such a shame that noone seems to pass to Kolkka, if we used him more we'd definitely be more effective at counter attacking cos Joonas always seems to try and take the opposition on rather than pass backwards.

kolinkins
12-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Maybe he has a fitness problem? He does always seem knackered after 70 minutes.

Or maybe, it is a Dowie tactic - didnt he always take Aki off for Derry with 15 minutes to go beofre the end of every game last season?

75points
12-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Fitness or lack of it and shadowing players rather than tackling good offensive option - but still to really turn his undoubted quality into matching winning performances. Last point applies to Wayne although much younger and works harder/defends better.

stinky
12-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by HARRY MONK
it should be routledge off first everytime once again yesterday he could not get past a 15 stone dominic matteo and why he keeps taking corners just confuses me. he needs to be rested but dowie is to scared to drop him in case he wont sign a new deal.

it really is criminal to not get the ball past the first man. Watson put some excellent balls in the box from dead ball positions yesterday, I don't understand why he doesn't take the corners. As someone on here said a while back, he's by far our best crosser/passer/free kick taker

Pub Idol
12-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Joonas drifts out of games too much IMO. He needs to get involved more. I would imagine Dowie agrees.

BW_Palace
12-12-2004, 03:28 PM
It's hard for him to get involved when he's constantly ignored! I sit in the AW and always see him in terrific positions, shame our midfield don't (Hughes is the main culprit).

budgie
12-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Kolkka was one of our main attacking threats, and constantly delivers good passes and finds space. Wheras Lakis misses sitter upon sitter.

Sorry Clapham, I tend to agree with your posts but this is nonsense.

I agree, Kolkka shouldn't have come off but Lakis should have definately come on. Lakis deserves a chance because Wayne's form has dipped recently.

Celestial Empire
12-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Brett

Woops, did I say that out loud?

Unfortunately, I think you may be right.
Hated the way ID is always bringing up Gray in his interviews, totally misguided and an implied put down to Kolkka. Even the fans have finally given up on discussing Gray. (Saw him as a sub today - he looked exactly the same as in his bad days at Palace !)

JohnA
12-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by BaldEagle96

Spot on. That is a major problem with our set up. I would have 4 in midfield with a target man alongside AJ.

BW_Palace
12-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Yep. Kolkka (and Wayne!) put in several good crosses, but when there's no one getting into the box it's pointless (and then we have a go at Wayne for it, inevitably.)

Hughes, Aki and Watson should be getting into the box. Unfortunately, they're knackered.

Celestial Empire
12-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace

Hughes, Aki and Watson should be getting into the box. Unfortunately, they're knackered.

Then replace with one or more of : Leigertwood, Butterfield, Lakis, Soares ....... :bash: :bash: :bash:

Palaceboy222
12-12-2004, 03:45 PM
got to agree with the above

Walsh-Palace
12-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Kolkka is not doing a bad job. budgie I agree with you, Wayne should be dropped and Lakis playing more.

nomad
12-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Essexeagle
In my honest opinion - it's easier than subbing Wayne.

It's good to have a winger on the bench as it means you can replace one of your widemen if needed.

But it doesn't always looks like it's being done on merit.

Spot on.

Panther
12-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Wheras Lakis misses sitter upon sitter.(

I don't think today's was a sitter as the Blackburn defender in front of him got a touch which took the ball on to Lakis' head giving him no chance to adjust his position before it hit him.

On the main point of your thread I agree that the continuing substitution of Kolkka before certain others is mystifying.