PDA

View Full Version : Steven Sidwell

kolinkins
12-12-2004, 12:44 PM
No rumour or link, just a wish to see him at Selhurst Park.

Whether we play 4-4-2, in which case he is the perfect box to box player to play with Aki, or is we play 4-5-1, in which case he'll slot in nicely with Aki and one of Watson/Hughes, I think he would a great sigining for us.

While we're talking about Reading, Nicky Shorey would not go amiss.

cpfclife
12-12-2004, 12:47 PM
totally agree

Jim Cannon
12-12-2004, 12:51 PM
if enough people keep agreeing with you we'll get linked with him in the papers

Palaceboy222
12-12-2004, 04:12 PM
I went to see Reading (2) vs Cardiff (1), and i was looking out for him as i'd heard good things and wondered if he would be a possible solution for our midfield if we play 4-4-2, i don't know if he had an off day, but he didn't look up to prem standerds

Braders
12-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Would be an excellent signing.......is'nt he a Palace fan also?

ian_the_eagle
12-12-2004, 06:34 PM
He was a Palace fan until he singed for Arsenal and still lives in the Purley area. Would love to see him in Palace colours, but would he get infront of Hughes, Aki or Watson?

limited_edition
12-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Is Shorey a left back ?

Flappy Chicken
12-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Have you been drinking? :eek:

maestro
12-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Dont think he's anywhere near premier league quality, overrated imo, uf he was that great why do you think arsenal got rid of him?

ian_the_eagle
12-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by maestro
Dont think he's anywhere near premier league quality, overrated imo, uf he was that great why do you think arsenal got rid of him?

Maybe because he wasn't as good as Viera, Petit et al. He is one of the best players in the Championship, so why not? We won't be able to attract players from other Premier teams, only those who are playing in the reserves, then people start questioning why we are buying players that can't get into first teams at other clubs!

Jim Cannon
12-12-2004, 06:56 PM
If he's a Palace fan and lives in the area he would probably love to sign, but the possibility of getting relegated might put him off.

Stonewall
12-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Not sure if He is a fan, but is a local lad. Him and his Brother(Lee) both played for Chipstead when they were boys, Lee as I understand, now plays for Whyleafe after moving from AFC Wimbledon.

jim the eagle
12-12-2004, 09:43 PM
would make a great signing and his brother plays for whtyeleafe in the rymans league and would be worth a look at

chelmsfordeagle
13-12-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by kolinkins
No rumour or link, just a wish to see him at Selhurst Park.

Whether we play 4-4-2, in which case he is the perfect box to box player to play with Aki, or is we play 4-5-1, in which case he'll slot in nicely with Aki and one of Watson/Hughes, I think he would a great sigining for us.

While we're talking about Reading, Nicky Shorey would not go amiss.

You seem to be a big fan of Nicky Shorey. I don't remember him playing against us (though I rarely remember opposition players) what kind of LB is he? does he have a similar style of play or qualities as anyone other players.

etu
13-12-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Jim Cannon
If he's a Palace fan and lives in the area he would probably love to sign, but the possibility of getting relegated might put him off.

I don't see why, its not like he isn't in the Championship already.

And as for why did Arsenal released him... they released Matthew Upson, who I wouldn't mind; same with Julian Gray, Rohan Ricketts, Jerome Thomas... Just because a player isn't good enough for Arsenal at the age of 20 doesn't mean he isn't good enough for us with a bit of first team experience under his belt.

Clapham Grand
13-12-2004, 10:44 AM
How is Sidwell's form this season? He had a great couple of years but has he gone off the boil a bit lately?

Good player mind

davematt
13-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
How is Sidwell's form this season? He had a great couple of years but has he gone off the boil a bit lately?

Good player mind

Have heard some good things about him this season. Some other midfielders worth looking at in the Chapionship are:

Andy Reid (Obviously, but too much competition from other Prem clubs)
Richard Chaplow
Paul Iffil & Marvin Elliot
Michael Tonge

Will we get any of them??? Maybe.....

NewRoadBee
04-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Just checking you weren`t after any Bees!

Sidwell, then only 18 or 19, was on loan with us under Coppell when we reached the play off final. He is class. Box to box, two good feet, hard tackler who is aggressive but not dirty. everything you could want in a midfielder. Since he moved onto Reading he is their captain, scores goals and by all accounts a real leader. It is just a matter of time before he is snapped up by a Premiership club, I expect if Reading don`t get up this season he will move on.

Tomo
04-01-2005, 08:27 PM
My cousin and uncle are a Reading fan and say he is very good and would be disappointed but no suprised to see him to a premiership club.

Tommy Pickle
04-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Jim Cannon
if enough people keep agreeing with you we'll get linked with him in the papers

So true.

aadams
04-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Sidwell is a good player, but prem? It would be a gamble. Like most
British youngsters at Arsenal they don't get a chance

Ricky_Wood2003
05-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Steve Sidwell

Club From: Reading
Club To: Charlton Athletic , Crystal Palace
Transfer Amount: 1.25million
Confirmed: No

Charlton Athletic and Crystal Palace will fight it out for the signature of Reading midfielder Steve Sidwell, who could be available for 1.25million.

GUCCI Eagle
05-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Charlton have got loads of underperforming midfielders - if Sidwell wants a game, he's better off coming to us.

cpfc_spc1982
05-01-2005, 11:56 AM
on the few games reading have been on sky recently he hasnt looked much/any better than what we have to be honest.

Cleon
05-01-2005, 01:32 PM
At 1.25M it sounds like a gamble worth taking.

NewRoadBee
05-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
At 1.25M it sounds like a gamble worth taking.

at that sort of fee it would be money well spent. Or maybe Reading would take one or two of your fringe players in exchange. Surprised if Reading would willingly sell him though, and 1.25m sounds too cheap for a player of his potential and class. He is still young but has the ability to play at the top, no doubt about it.

BW_Palace
26-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Just thought I'd bump this up, because in a FourFourTwo interview this month, he said Palace were his boyhood team and he went to all the home games (and admired Wright/Bright).

Shame that the deal's dead? (Or is it?)

gold76
26-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Could be worth looking at in the summer if Reading dont win promotion.

JHJ EAGLE
26-01-2005, 09:46 PM
A lot of people said that Cahill would be a risk in the prem, look at him and Everton now!!!

Skint Eagle
26-01-2005, 10:15 PM
I went to school with Siddy for bout 12 years and played boys footy with him, he was always head and shoulders above everyone, and did always support the Arse, no he spent a lot of time about palace and has known coppell since those days so that explains why they've always been everywhere together and the ties with palace.

As for today im not sure he's quite the player we all hoped but sure was developing. he was the captain of Arse youth team that won the cup but come on centre mid's a hard position to crack at arsenal. He certainly aint the flair or attacking player we need but think box to box wise he's as good as we can reasonably afford and although he don't live in the area now he does spent quite a bit of time here post season and has a bunch of mates he's still in touch with so sure he'd jump at chance to move back.

aj4england
11-06-2005, 03:24 PM
no mention of him recently yet would be a great addition to the squad??

May won't to move to a bigger club

jordanismygod
11-06-2005, 03:28 PM
http://cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96824&highlight=steve+sidwell
http://cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88406&highlight=steve+sidwell

David of Kent
11-06-2005, 03:36 PM
If he leaves Reading it'll surely be for the Prem, not for another Champ League club.

3rd_Lion
11-06-2005, 08:14 PM
No chance of us getting him and I may be the only one who thinks he is a bit lightweight!

Palaceboy222
11-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by 3rd_Lion
No chance of us getting him and I may be the only one who thinks he is a bit lightweight!

i live near(ish) to reading and go and watch them with mates when im not going to palace, i saw them/him on about 5 occations last season, and i think he is seriously over-rated, he wouldn't be cheep and i would leave, theres much better buys out there, and yes, he is lightweight

3rd_Lion
12-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Yeah I thought so....:p

LeftHandedEagle
12-06-2005, 12:26 PM
What Palaceboy222 said... living in Reading and writing for the local I get free tickets thrown at me now and then, and there are only a couple of Royals players I would even think about having in our side.

Sidwell isn't one of them! He got voted the best player outside the Prem by 442 mag and most Reading fans can't for the life of them understand this. Ok, he went off the boil in the last season and didn't seem to have much energy about him, and fans memories often resemble that of a goldfish, but even when he was on top form during the two seasons before that I got the impression that he wasn't quite sharp enough for the Prem.

Not that it helps playing for Reading though... the club needs a revamp from top to bottom- it stinks of mediocrity!

OneSize
14-06-2005, 07:02 PM
http://forum.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20016

says we are rumoured to have bid 1.5M plus Michael Hughes

Jay_Palace
14-06-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm not a Sidwell fan, he is hugely over-rated and would be too expensive.

follow cpfc
14-06-2005, 07:28 PM
He is overated on the BBS but i wouldent be too dissapointed if i saw him at shelhurst

Palaceboy222
14-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by OneSize

i wouldnt give them Hughes in a straight swap!

OneSize
14-06-2005, 08:39 PM
i would

Palaceboy222
14-06-2005, 08:39 PM

They seem to rate him VERY highly - they dont like simon jordan either!

c_block_lad
14-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Sidwell was voted the best/most valuable player outside the Premier League, although we are a bigger club than Reading, it would still be a side-step for the lad.

eagles #1
14-06-2005, 08:44 PM

says we are rumoured to have bid 1.5M plus Michael Hughes Fuk off!! Dont do it Hughsey! Give em.....Wayne Andrews :D

Jay_Palace
14-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by follow cpfc
He is overated on the BBS but i wouldent be too dissapointed if i saw him at shelhurst

He seems to be overrated by the football world in general. He's a decent enough player, but the hype he receives seems to suggest that he is the perfect central midfielder. I get the impression that he has a good thing going at Reading and will sit there for the forseeable future, with no real pressure on him and certainly no realistic chance of promotion.

Decent player but is he really any better than Soares or Watson, who is actually a similar type player? I would prefer to see Watson given a chance because I rate him highly. He deserves to have a good run out in the team.

Jay_Palace
14-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Palaceboy222
They seem to rate him VERY highly - they dont like simon jordan either!

At least SJ has actually put his money where his mouth is, instead of spunking it on Cilla Black, as John Madjeski seems happy to do thesedays.

Most neutrals who seem to dislike SJ really don't know anything about him, apart from what the gutter press prints.

cpfc_spc1982
14-06-2005, 09:09 PM
whenever i saw reading this season he spent more time covering for harper going forward than he got to go forward himself which is clearly the best part of his game. he would have been far better playing with a reognised holding midfielder.

Pikie Punisher
14-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
whenever i saw reading this season he spent more time covering for harper going forward

Tell you what, when I saw the Palace/Reading games season before last (plus a few other Reading games on the box), Harper looked bloody good, wonder if he could be prised away?

maestro
14-06-2005, 09:29 PM
What exactly has steven sidwell done? he isnt that great, very overated, Micheal Hughes was named in Strachans premiership 11 of last season! I think we'd be a far worse side if we swapped the two, last time we were in the championship Hughes used to control the games.

PhilD
14-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
At least SJ has actually put his money where his mouth is, instead of spunking it on Cilla Black, as John Madjeski seems happy to do thesedays.

He's built them a fantastic stadium and spent plenty of money on the team in fairness. He may be spending less these days, but I actually think he's doing the right thing in trying to make Reading financially self-reliant and ensuring that should he wish to walk away the club can run itself. SJ may have put his money where his mouth is, but I bet he wishes he'd been a bit more circumspect when he first took over now. Whatever happens in the future Madjeski will leave Reading on a strong financial footing with a ground they could not have financed without him. Will Jordan be able to say the same?

Sidwell is a decent player, but to my mind 1.5m plus Hughes is too much to pay. We need experienced players like Hughes around the club and I'd be surprised to see Dowie cast him aside.

saxo_demon22
14-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Pikie Punisher
Tell you what, when I saw the Palace/Reading games season before last (plus a few other Reading games on the box), Harper looked bloody good, wonder if he could be prised away?

I've always liked Harper too. When we played Reading season before last he always looked sharp and wanted to go forward with the ball. However, living in Reading I know a huge amount of Reading fans who claim he is total shite!

Justy C
14-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Sidwell has looked a good player from what little I've seen on the box and one that I'd be pleased to see at Palace. Interesting however to read that some Reading fans don't rate him too highly, even though FourFourTwo voted him the best player outside the Premiership. Got to say that I think Hughes will be crucial for us next season, so would be gutted to see him go.

Have posted this before on the BBS, I think Sidwell is a Croydon boy and I've read interviews with him where he has stated he used to be a Palace fan and watched Wright and Bright before becoming an Arsenal fan when he was on their books.

Jay_Palace
14-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by PhilD
He's built them a fantastic stadium and spent plenty of money on the team in fairness. He may be spending less these days, but I actually think he's doing the right thing in trying to make Reading financially self-reliant and ensuring that should he wish to walk away the club can run itself. SJ may have put his money where his mouth is, but I bet he wishes he'd been a bit more circumspect when he first took over now. Whatever happens in the future Madjeski will leave Reading on a strong financial footing with a ground they could not have financed without him. Will Jordan be able to say the same?

Sidwell is a decent player, but to my mind 1.5m plus Hughes is too much to pay. We need experienced players like Hughes around the club and I'd be surprised to see Dowie cast him aside.

He's still not done as much for them as SJ has done for us though, IMHO. Their childish comments aimed at SJ are unfair (not that I give a shit, because there are some ignorant people out there) considering he is a man who should be admired and not disliked. He is a proper football fan chairman, something that Madjeski doesn't appear to be. He may well have built them a stadium, but he owns the stadium, not the club.

Royals Mad
15-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Harper is a very inconsistant player. Plays blinding one week and can be shite the next. Very good passer of the ball with both feet, by couldnt tackle a granny off the ball to be honest. Got dropped for a while for ricky newman and apparently said he couldnt car but that could be just rubbish made up as fans at reading like to victimise players for no reason. But if he did say that my opinion of him would be very low and you would be welcome to him. Would rather sell you him than sidwell any day of the week