PDA

View Full Version : Whitehorse Fans 2nd Class Citizens?

Nelson Muntz
12-12-2004, 06:57 PM
The fans in the Whitehorse are being treated more and more badly as every match passes.
Just to clarify from the start, adults pay the same for season tickets as the Holmesdale Lower, but......

We cannot see the Jumbotron.
We cannot see the wonderful fireworks that get exploded from time to time. It is the 'Family Stand' after all.
We do not have any Television sets behind the stand anymore. We do not always know whats going on. If we want to hear the latest interviews from PalaceWorld or hear about the forthcoming events at Palace we have to guess. No Jumbotron & no Televisions = No Info.
The lateset thing is that the Half-Time Challenge has been moved to the Holmesdale End for the last two games.

We understand that it is our choice that we sit there and we are not going to see the screen, but surely a Television or two behind the stand wouldn't go amiss. we used to be able to check the scores of other games at half time and full time on the TV's now, nothing.
The fans in the Holmesdale have the Jumbotron for half-time entertainment, we have nothing, so what do Palace do? Move the H-T challenge up the other end.

The new season ticket brochure says that '...this seating area is becoming increasingly popular, with improved facilities' What improved facilities? If anything the facilities have deteriorated vastly since last season.

Come on Palace, treat us Whitehorse fans to some of the things we were used to before. We are easily pleased, but everything is slowly disappearing in front of our eyes.

eagles #1
12-12-2004, 07:12 PM
I sat in the Whitehorse end last season but moved to block D of the Holmesdale this season and i love it! much better atmosphere, view and you get to see the Jumbotron. I love it :p

Oh and i qualified for a junior season ticket by 6 days so i get to sit there for 90 :)

Thanet Eagle
12-12-2004, 07:16 PM
May be an idea to send a letter to the club Nelson,I can sympathise with you.

CP Satellite
12-12-2004, 08:23 PM
You did'nt mention the occasional piece of corrugated sheeting that falls out of the roof and nearly decapitates some of the fans Nelson!

On the plus side, you get the chance to barrack visiting fans in the "Exec Boxes" face to face, I particular enjoy seeing their faces when Palace score at that end! Although most fans are on the quiet side, this means players can actually hear any verbal abuse that comes their way, a valuable, match winning feature!

Daily Mal
12-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz

The fans in the Holmesdale have the Jumbotron for half-time entertainment, we have nothing, so what do Palace do? Move the H-T challenge up the other end.

What do you think appears on the Jumbotron at half-time? Clips from previous games? A goal or two dug out of the archivces featuring the likes of Don Rogers? Unfortunately not.

All the Jumbotron shows is several graphics congratulating one person or another on their birthday/anniversary etc, and what looks like a cut'n'paste of the half-time scores from Sky, but it's too small to be legible. No way can it be described as 'entertainment'

Seagulleater
12-12-2004, 08:39 PM
I heard they was thinking of turning the whitehorse back into the away end, would be nice(memories) but cant see it happening .....SGE

Justin
12-12-2004, 08:43 PM
You do pay for what you get. The Whitehorse is amazingly cheap compared to the rest of the ground.

75points
12-12-2004, 08:46 PM
plus male tiolets swimming in urine cascading onto the paved concourse.
As much as like my seat - always felt that if the 2000 of us was put in the Arthur the atmosphere at selhurst would improve significantly - could keep a small section of the Arthur ( whitehorse end) in the corner for away fans.

Dave
12-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Is there a proper bar in the whitehorse?

CP Satellite
12-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Is there a proper bar in the whitehorse?

Yep, I can confirm they have a bar, I think it's a Yorkie.

Teagle
12-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Daily Mal
What do you think appears on the Jumbotron at half-time? Clips from previous games? A goal or two dug out of the archivces featuring the likes of Don Rogers? Unfortunately not.

All the Jumbotron shows is several graphics congratulating one person or another on their birthday/anniversary etc, and what looks like a cut'n'paste of the half-time scores from Sky, but it's too small to be legible. No way can it be described as 'entertainment'

Beat me to it. The Jumbotron could not be described as entertaining in any way. Unless, that is, and this is hugely rare, the early kick off is shown. Other than that, I never watch the Jumbotron. I actually bloody miss the old score board, with the clapping hands and "come on palace".

Axie
12-12-2004, 09:06 PM
I've sat in the Whitehorse for quite a few years now, with my Father and two children. As to improved facilities they are really taking the piss. There is no bar, we can't go to Crystals or even into the Glaziers now. As Nelson says there are no televisions anymore, there were but they were removed. We can't see the Jumbotron, we were promised the old scoreboard at the other holmesdale end but surprisingly that never materialised. The fireworks are above us, even though it's a so called family stand. They don't sell chips, actually they only sell white coffee or tea or hot chocolate. No bovril, for some reason they do not sell it anymore.

We really are the poor relations. I sit there because I'm in the backrow, I've got four seats together, in a so called family stand and I sit with a group of people I've sat next to for years, but it really is poor. It is no cheaper than any other family area, if Palace really want to be a family club they need to look after their younger supporters, which in the family stand in the Whitehorse they really don't.

BTW near to me are nutters with a finnish flag, not sure who they are ;)

Nelson Muntz
12-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Daily Mal

I have no idea what goes on the Jumbotron at half time. I expected it to be highlights from the first half or maybe some old games. They certainly do that at other places. In fact I was quite close to the screen at Bolton and really enjoyed watching the first half highlights on their screen. At times, we see the whole of the ground looking up at it and hear some mumbled commentry going on.
CP Sat: I forgot about the roof falling in. I sit too far back to see away fans in the boxes, but we do get the odd sweet wrapper coming down.
Justin: The price for an adult is the same as the lower Holmesdale.
The toilets are always swimming in **** and the celing is too low for anybody taller than 5'6".
Axie: The view is fantastic, thats why we wouldn't dream of moving, the guys near me are a great bunch too (are you one of them?), the facilities are poor though. Anyway, bad news for you. Us Finnish nutters have renewed for next season.

kolinkins
12-12-2004, 10:35 PM
So, where would you have put the big screen?

Nelson Muntz
12-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
So, where would you have put the big screen?
No, you misunderstand. I'm not moaning because we can't see the screen. We know where that is and choose to sit below it. What I'm moaning about is the fact that the facilities have declined badly in the past year.
My gripe is that everywhere else can see the screen and have tele's behind their stands. We have none of that, but had the HT Challenge to keep us occupied, but now even that has been moved.

Justin
12-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Justin: The price for an adult is the same as the lower Holmesdale.

Fair enough and apologies. I was basing my false answer on the fact I wanted to get my 6 year old son a season ticket for this season and was quoted 250 for the Main Stand but it was 100 for the Whitehorse.

jone-zee
12-12-2004, 10:49 PM
The view is fantastic, thats why we wouldn't dream of moving, the guys near me are a great bunch too (are you one of them?), the facilities are poor though. Anyway, bad news for you. Us Finnish nutters have renewed for next season. [/B]

So your point is? ;) Its called football mate and compared to 10/20/30 years ago its luxury :)

kolinkins
12-12-2004, 10:53 PM
No, you misunderstand. I'm not moaning because we can't see the screen. We know where that is and choose to sit below it. What I'm moaning about is the fact that the facilities have declined badly in the past year.
My gripe is that everywhere else can see the screen and have tele's behind their stands. We have none of that, but had the HT Challenge to keep us occupied, but now even that has been moved.

Fair enough, but seriously, fi your gripe is about the HT challenge being moved, then surely it makes no difference? I would move it, as far away from Selhurst as bloody possible.

limited_edition
12-12-2004, 11:03 PM
You can't see the Jumbotron screen from the back rows of the AW, either.

Nelson Muntz
12-12-2004, 11:04 PM
You lot that sit elsewhere are really giving me a hard time ;)

I'm not only moaning about the HT Challenge. It's just part of it. A couple of TV's so we can see the half time scores would be nice. We used to have them.
There have been very few grounds I have been to in the past few years that have worse facilities than the Whitehorse and the ones that were worse were the likes of Rotherham, Charlton and Gillingham.
The last time I was in the Holmesdale to watch the Sunderland away play off game on the Jumbotron. The Holmesdale is like heaven compared the our end.

Justin. I think the price is 60 for a U-16 in the Whitehorse if you book it in December.

kolinkins
12-12-2004, 11:07 PM
I'm not only moaning about the HT Challenge. It's just part of it. A couple of TV's so we can see the half time scores would be nice. We used to have them.

Maybe having the old score board at the other end would be good.

If I was in the Whitehorse, what would annoy me the most is not knowing how much longer was left in the match.

jone-zee
12-12-2004, 11:19 PM

If I was in the Whitehorse, what would annoy me the most is not knowing how much longer was left in the match.

Or the old type 'slot in scores' on a hoarding which would cost nickpence to sort out

Son of Shacker
13-12-2004, 08:19 AM

I must be imagining it but I'm sure they moved the old scoreboard to the corner of the Holmesdale a while ago but then it went! Perhaps they sold it to Millwall?

Maybe not:moo:

Dorking .Eagle
13-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Fans in the Whitehorse used to be able to go into Glaziers pre match if they wanted to use a lounge bar, but this season, Glaziers is for Glaziers ticket holders only.
I'm suprised Noades hasn't realised there is a rich seam of cash to be made, and opened Crystals again pre-match.

The only reason I can see anyone choosing the Whitehorse over the Holmsdale is that the child prices are less on a season ticket.
As a result of paying less, you get less.
Pay more, then you get more I suppose.

I have no problem with the half time shoot out being down the Sainsburys end though - most of the Holmesdale are in the bar then anyway.

Twin of Droy
13-12-2004, 08:50 AM
I too sit in the Whitehorse. All facilities are extremely poor but I prefer this view to the Old & New stands so would rather it didnt go to away fans.
The televisions that were under the stand were a bloody nuisance. People would stand and watch them (fair enough) but it only took 3 people and the place would get jammed. I guess they were removed for safety reasons.

Axie
13-12-2004, 09:02 AM
The prices are slightly cheaper than the holmesdale (but the same as the other family area - block J in main stand). The point is that it's meant to be a family stand and therefore should at least pay lipservice to the needs of children which it fails to do spectacularly.

Nelson, we are to the right of the goal as you look at it, in the back row round about seats 108, and you are right the view is excellent.

ponypunter
13-12-2004, 09:46 AM
I sit in the Main Stand and I can't see the Jumbotron either. And I think my seat is more expensive that yours too. :sob:

Maz
13-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by ponypunter
I sit in the Main Stand and I can't see the Jumbotron either.

It's tough being only 4 foot 3, huh? :(

Nelson Muntz
13-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Axie
Nelson, we are to the right of the goal as you look at it, in the back row round about seats 108, and you are right the view is excellent.
We're in seat 92 & 93. It sounds like it must be your boys that bang on the Adder adverts.

I'd also forgot that Whitehorse enders can't go in Glaziers anymore. The place is empty before games now and the fella's that sit behind me would all like to go in pre match. I got fed up with rowing with the bloke on the door who wouldn't let anybody enter after 2pm last season, so I gave up going in there regularly. It would still be nice to pop in once in a while.

Axie
13-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Frankly Nelson it would be nice to go anywhere within the ground pre-match. We are under the Adder sign but a bit further along from those. My boys 9 so can't quite reach the board. I'll pop along and say hello at the Portsmouth game. Mind you I'm not sure what you look like.

The Planet
15-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by 75points
plus male tiolets swimming in urine.

And this is different from the Holmesdale (and the Arthur Wait come to that) how? :hmph:

gjtango
15-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by The Planet
And this is different from the Holmesdale (and the Arthur Wait come to that) how? :hmph:

I know its a toilet at the end of the day but its own where you deposit your piss. Some of the toilets I've used across the country are shocking in comparison. They never seemed too bad when I sat in the Whitehorse years ago. Holmesdale lower isn't too bad considering the amount of people that use them at HT.

The Planet
15-12-2004, 01:09 AM
The worst toilets I ever came across were at Cardiff students union. Absolutely disgusting. It was as if you needed a boat to take you across to your urinal of choice. My point is this: has the club heard of drainage facilities? Drains are great. They take all this liquid away and you never see it again (unless you work in the business (literally!))

Glaws Eagle
15-12-2004, 06:36 AM
I sit in the Whitehorse with the daughter, moving from the Main Stand for her benefit, and quite like it there.

We are a bit low, so the view aint brilliant, but the leg room is ample. Much more than the Holmesdale.

moi
15-12-2004, 04:53 PM
also, they have closed down the playstation room. they even ran out of coffee before the game had started a few weeks ago! the female toilets are always blocked by half time at the latest

Webb
15-12-2004, 05:08 PM
When the Jumbotron was installed, I remember something along the lines of SJ looking to put the old scoreboard some else in the stadium, so that the Whitehorse users could see how long there was left etc. If I remember correctly, the area just below the disabled section next to the Holmesdale was suggested. Obviously, this didn't happen, but I wonder what the process of rejection for this scheme was?