PDA

View Full Version : Interesting January . . . .

britabroad
13-12-2004, 02:54 PM
I get the feeling now that January could become very interesting at Palace.
Dowie, most likely, would have been hoping (expecting) a good December with which to back up his demands in the January transfer window.

With things looking a little poor so far this month, it is in Jordans nature (and I don't blame him for this) to tighten things up financially for what could be a tough second half of the season.

He may decide against taking more players on with short contracts and high wages, which would be required to get individuals who would give us a decent chance of survival.

How will Dowie react to this as his nature is to never give in . . . .

GUCCI Eagle
13-12-2004, 03:00 PM
I think it'll be a big disappointment. We'll be linked to lots of promising players, but none will come. On deadline day, we'll sign a couple in sheer desperation.

I don't mind though, I'd like to see the players we have give it a good crack. There's a touch more romanace in that.

Simon A
13-12-2004, 03:01 PM
lots of 'ifs' there..........

Sussex Eagle
13-12-2004, 03:02 PM
I think you're right - getting points on board against Pompey, Spurs & Fulham could be doubly important now if we are to get the players necessary for survival in. Hadn't thought of that angle.

Jim Cannon
13-12-2004, 03:06 PM
If Jordan tightens the purse strings now we will be in big trouble. For a start, Dowie has been saying for the past couple of months we would be looking to bring more players in in Jan and if this was against SJ's wishes there would be friction there already. Of course there could be a problem though because he talked of a few players leaving and so far no-one has gone. But the fact remains the current squad is too weak in terms of Premiership experience a run of injuries or suspensions would leave us even more vulnerable than we are already. So IMHO we have to bring a couple of players in.

El Aguila
13-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Can anyone remember five good January signings in the history of the transfer window? I can't- so let's not get our hopes up.

davematt
13-12-2004, 03:07 PM
We HAVE to sign a few quality players in January to make the difference. If we fail to improve on what we already have, we will go down, and recent results and performances prove that.

Brixton Boy
13-12-2004, 03:08 PM
I would imagine most of the business that Dowie expects to do in January has already been initiated. A good/bad/indifferent December won't have much bearing on Jordan's decision to release the funds to Dowie, however, a particularly bad December might dissuade some players from joining us.

Realistically, a win against Pompey would see us with 17 points at the half way point in the season (assume a blank at Moan U), which isn't far away from survival progress.

Sussex Eagle
13-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Birmingham got a few good 'uns in durin their first January. And hasn't it only been in effect for 2 or 3 years? IMO we need 3 players who are actually better than what we have in our first 11 (rather than just adding to the squad) to have a great crack at staying up. Difficult but possible.

britabroad
13-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by davematt
We HAVE to sign a few quality players in January to make the difference. If we fail to improve on what we already have, we will go down, and recent results and performances prove that.

And this is exactly my point. While things are going well, the Jordan/Dowie axis will work. But they do have very different attitudes and personalities. Jordan will look at this financially and may make his mind up that to secure Palace for next season he will not splash the cash. Dowie will be all about getting the best possible players and taking the gamble (although in his mind he will not see it as such) that the new players will keep us up. This is where it could become interesting . . .

davematt
13-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila
Can anyone remember five good January signings in the history of the transfer window? I can't- so let's not get our hopes up.

Jonathon Woodgate - Leeds to Newcastle
Jermaine Defoe - West Ham to Spurs
Matthews Upson - Arsenal to Birmingham
Christohpe Dugarry - Bordeaux to Birmingham
Jose Antonio Reyes - Seville to Arsenal

All five of those have proved inspirational signings for the club buying, especially the Birmingham two as they made the difference for them when they were really struggling. We need a signing in the same calibre of Dugarry.

Dorking .Eagle
13-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Whilst it was pre-January window, a January loan signing from years gone by - Paul Stewart in 1994 - gave a team in the middle of a wobble a boost, and pushed us on to the (1st Division) title.

Jim Cannon
13-12-2004, 03:16 PM

All five of those have proved inspirational signings for the club buying, especially the Birmingham two as they made the difference for them when they were really struggling. We need a signing in the same calibre of Dugarry.

Don't know about Woodgate they couldn't believe their luck when Real Madrid came in for him!

Cleon
13-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Well, I said that with less than 20 points in the bag by fulltime v Fulham on New Years Day that Jordan may well start budgeting on a quick return to 'The Championship'. That said, not only is 20 points still obtainable (with Portsmouth at home, Tottenham away and Fulham away all winnable games), but Jordan may also be prepared to take some risks.

We've done reasonably well so far, despite many of our summer signings not having set the world alight just yet. The potential remains to off-load some players (including Black, Shipperley, Powell etc.), and bring in a real 'humdinger' of a signing. Personally I feel that we definitely lack a decent left back, but that the position that could make all the difference is a real Premiership quality central midfielder. Of course, easier said than done, but with just two signings I think we could take a significant step towards Premiership survival.

Gooders
13-12-2004, 03:21 PM

I think you'll find he meant 5 signings for one club. Which is what we need.

davematt
13-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Jim Cannon
Don't know about Woodgate they couldn't believe their luck when Real Madrid came in for him!

When Woodgate is 100% fit and in top form, he is one of the best Central Defenders in Europe. Unfortunetly for the lad, this is a rare chance.

davematt
13-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
I think you'll find he meant 5 signings for one club. Which is what we need.

The January transfer window has never applied to us, so there is non whatsoever.

Brixton Boy
13-12-2004, 03:25 PM

If Smiffy had got a certain Mr Dowie and Ray Houghton in January we may well have survived that year

Jim Cannon
13-12-2004, 03:28 PM
When Woodgate is 100% fit and in top form, he is one of the best Central Defenders in Europe. Unfortunetly for the lad, this is a rare chance.

Couldn't agree more - good player but always injured so not a good signing.

davematt
13-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Couldn't agree more - good player but always injured so not a good signing.

Fair enough, but the other four on my list aint that bad!:D

pedro
13-12-2004, 03:37 PM
More to this signing than has ever come out due to an 'alleged' gagging order on the press. :eek:

davematt
13-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by pedro
More to this signing than has ever come out due to an 'alleged' gagging order on the press. :eek:

It will all come out eventually. Be interesting to see what injury he picks up next as he is due back soon, or will they actually play him?

El Aguila
13-12-2004, 03:42 PM
No, I've been living with the January transfer window for years in my guise of Jordi Pujol, Barça fan, and can only really recall Davids at Barça, and I guess the De Boer twins for a while. I can remember quite a few disastrous signings though..... Bogarde, Amunike - and I can't remember Real Madrid ever signing anything but a dud in January - I know it's a different set of problems but if a club wants to get rid of a player mid season, either he's no good, or you have to pay a premium.

EagleinOz
13-12-2004, 03:52 PM
if a club wants to get rid of a player mid season, either he's no good, or you have to pay a premium.

But the truth is there are players out there that are sitting on the bench for their respective clubs or not getting games at all but could still improve our squad

El Aguila
13-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Fingers crossed, then. I think we need two first teamers and two good reserves.

The Vicar
13-12-2004, 04:07 PM
We need, in this order:

1. Quality centre mid (Hughes and Watson are both knackered, and what happens if one of them were to be injured?...not getting Cahill was a real blow)

2. Left back with pace and good left foot

I don't think we absolutely need a forward. We might need cover for Coca Cola.

If we were to only get #1, but it was the right player, we have a fighting chance of surviving.

britabroad
13-12-2004, 04:12 PM
I think that the only chance we have of getting these players is if Dowie has already concluded the deals (or as close as dammit). If our December doesn't improve then January could see the players we need, quality wise, avoiding the club due to its likely drop. This month is looking very important to us.