PDA

View Full Version : Another Formation thread...

PalaceFan@UGA
13-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Before reading: Please make youself comfortable as this might take a while....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and none of us really have a say because Dowie knows what he's doing, more than us fan "managers." In my opinion, Dowie has earned every right to use what he wants to use without criticism and I have the utmost respect for him and believe he will get us out of danger. I've recently read a lot of threads criticizing our formation as well as our players and after watching Palace at Selhurst for the first time in 7 years on Saturday against Blackburn (I live in America), I was a little disappointed.

The Obvious: 1) Granville is a liability 2) AJ needs help up front 3) Our central midfield is absolutely knackered! 4) Kollka needs the ball more often 5) We're struggling at the moment

What needs to be done? 1) Stregthen the squad come January 2) Possibly change formation?

My solution (Sir Iain Dowie, please ignore): 3-5-2
Kiraly is a game-saver and is a must in goal. Hall has had solid performances and dodgy ones like on Saturday but definately belongs in the starting XI. Popovic has had his poor moments this year but I felt he was solid on Saturday and his leadership is invaluable. Boyce has been the bargain of the Premiership this year and his ability to play central defense (i cant remember if it is spelled defence or defense in England) allows Palace to play the 3-5-2 formation and Granville to improve his game before returning to the 1st team. The 5 across midfield is needed at Palace I think, as it allows us to hopefully neutralize more talented Premiership midfields. However, depth for this unit is desperately needed in January. Then comes the complement to AJ....it is definately needed but who can it be? I honestly think Ventola would be superb with AJ as long as he could stay healthy for more than an hour or two (which doesnt look likely). Wayne Andrews looked lively and several fans criticized him in the section I was in on Saturday, however, I dont think he did to much wrong: he chased a lot, fought back and won some balls, attacked effectively for the most part. We must remember that Andrews was making his Premiership debut and wanted to impress, and therefore may of been trying too hard to make something happen. With more experience, I think him and AJ could terrorize the opposition. Torghelle has lost my confidence for the time being but there is no rush to sell him already....he needs some acting classes to work on his dives to make them more believable ;). I've seen Ships mentioned as a possibility and he definately deserves to play a little for what he helped accomplish in the playoffs last year. Freedman and Kaviedes should also get opportunities.

With that said, Dowie and Palace have a lot to do but just a thought (a long one apparently) to try the 3-5-2. I'm still glad all over to be Premier League! :lux: Come on Palace....make me proud! :p

BW_Palace
13-12-2004, 08:02 PM
3-5-2 will never work in the Premiership. Do you really want to give Cristiano Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs all that room?...

PalaceFan@UGA
13-12-2004, 08:07 PM
at least one of them is getting all that room anyway with Granville at the back.....at least this allows us to play with 10 "effective" players instead of 9.

Tomo
13-12-2004, 08:07 PM
5-3-2

Wingbacks.

Richwak
13-12-2004, 08:15 PM
I think that this is the winning formula lol
4-4-1-1
Kiraly - goal - legend
Boyce - R-back - good consistent perfomances
Granville - L-back - in my opinion crap but the only player we have in this position
Popovic - C-back - people moan about him but i think he is great, well in popo!
Hall - C-Back - clearly out best player in my opinion, class
Routledge - R-Wing - really finding his feet in the premiership now
Kolkka - L-Wing - Good player, always trying his best
Riihiliathi - Centre Mid - has been great throughout the season
Hughes/Watson/Lakis - Centre Mid - Hughes is not up to premiership in my opinion, watson has gone off the boil, Lakis would be good but i think that he is more of a wide player
Kaviedes - Att Midd- his skill outclasses the rest of the palace team, behind AJ i feel he could be deadly
AJ - striker - speaks for itself really

BW_Palace
13-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Tomo
5-3-2

Wingbacks.

Sorry, but Kolkka and Routledge will not work as wing-backs.

aj_is_god
13-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace
Sorry, but Kolkka and Routledge will not work as wing-backs.

my thoughts exactly

4-4-2

gk kiraly

dr butterfield

dl graville

dc popo

dc hudson

mr routledge

ml kolkka

mc aki

mc watson

fc shipps

fc aj

MasterYoda
13-12-2004, 10:44 PM
dropping boyce completely? hudson back in? weird.

Aray
13-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Do we have the players for 3-5-2? Definitely have enough central defenders but we lack midfielders and Wayne can't defend well enough to play wingback. Perhaps go to something like 4-2-3-1? I know this is a version of what we play right now. Aki and Watson play in front of defence. Routledge and Kolkka on the wings AJ upfront with Kavidies or whoever in the hole? I love Hughes but he is getting on and might need a rest. One problem with this format is Aki and Ben might get drawn too close to the defence. But it would allow us different options.

Henfield Eagle
14-12-2004, 01:04 AM
As I mentioned on a previous thread, IMO the 4 5 1 is a new way of describing what used to be 4 3 3 (the way we play it)Having two "wingers" and AJ.Playing two forwards would really be like 4 2 4 !!
I believe that with the current personel available,to play 4 4 2 we need to play ONE "winger" OR at least some one that can defend well on a flank as well as attack.Playing two out wide up front leaves us exposed through the middle as we all saw at the start of the season.

Sussex Eagle
14-12-2004, 01:24 AM
Flat 4-4-2. Basic fact - the load needs to be eased from AJ's back.

GK: Kiraly
DR: Butterfield
DL: Leigertwood
CB: Boyce
CB: Popovic
MR: Routledge
ML: Kolkka
MC: Riihilahti
MC: :( Watson, Hughes or Derry I guess, desperate need for hole to be filled here.
FC: Johnson
FC: Shipperley (Nowhere near good enough but he might do a job for 3 or 4 games before we get a real partner for AJ in January)

Frisky
14-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Henfield Eagle
As I mentioned on a previous thread, IMO the 4 5 1 is a new way of describing what used to be 4 3 3 (the way we play it)Having two "wingers" and AJ.Playing two forwards would really be like 4 2 4 !!
I believe that with the current personel available,to play 4 4 2 we need to play ONE "winger" OR at least some one that can defend well on a flank as well as attack.Playing two out wide up front leaves us exposed through the middle as we all saw at the start of the season.

Totally agree. We simply do not have enough quality throughout the team to get away with 2 wide midfielders.

I would now be looking at a solid 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 on Saturday. I'd go with something like:

--------------------Kiraly-------------------
Boyce------Hall------------Sorondo-----Granville
Watson----Hughes------Aki-----Legeitwood (sp!)
---------------Routledge or Lakis-------------
--------------------AJ-----------------------

...with Kolka on the bench to switch back to our existing formation quickly if things aren't working out and Torgelle or Shipps on the bench if we need more muscle up front. Add Popo, Soares and Speroni and I think we have enough players there for an eventuality.

GUCCI Eagle
14-12-2004, 02:44 PM
3-6-1

Kiraly

Boyce Hall Sorondo

-Leigertwood-

Routledge Watson Riihilahti Hughes Kolkka

Johnson

Dillenger
14-12-2004, 03:35 PM
at home against oppostion not in top 6 we should play 4-4-2, away the 4-5-1 suits us nicely.

definately look to replace granville, other than that drop one of watson or hughes in place of dougie up front.