PDA

View Full Version : What has gone wrong?


pallet
13-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I know if we knew we would all tell Wowie Dowie so he could put it right, but after the Arse game I was so confident we would stay up no probs.After the Liverpool game, I was gutted but happy, 2 goals at Anfoeld without AJ and they scored from a poorly conceded penatly.Since then its been awful. The last two games, were not only winable but important to our end of season surival, we now have to go to Old Trafford to try and get something to stay out of the bottom 3.
Next weeks fixtures:

12:00 Birmingham West Brom Draw
15:00 Blackburn Everton Away win
15:00 Bolton Man City
15:00 Charlton Fulham Home win
15:00 Chelsea Norwich Home win
12:45 Liverpool P - P Newcastle
17:15 Man Utd Crystal Palace Help
15:00 Middlesbro Aston Villa
15:00 Tottenham Southampton Draw

Palaceboy222
13-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Although i'm going next week and would love us to win, i'm not too botherd but we HAVE to beat portsmouth,


on a side note, my dad was at the 5-0 vs manure and he said if we beat them next week (by any score) it would top that, what does everyone else think?

fat pigeon
13-12-2004, 09:48 PM
One of the things the main things that have gone wrong is that we have not taken our chances.

However badly we have played, however poorly we have defended, however cheatd we have been by referees, we had gilt-edged chances to win the games against Southampton and Charlton, and we (and dare I say it, AJ) flunked them. A similar story to earlier in the season (Everton, Portsmouth).

Tommy Pickle
13-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Lakis has missed a couple of sitters.

NO1FAN
13-12-2004, 10:26 PM
I think the games that we actually won Fulham, West Brom, Birmingham could of gone either way (with the exception of Fulham maybe)

Against West Brom they had a fair few chances but muppet boy Earnshaw spurned them all :D Against Fulham they looked a very poor side who were out of sorts and we beat them comfortably. Then of course against Birmingham, It was backs to the wall all game and with a break away we scored. In them 3 games we scored 6 goals and I doubt we had more than 10 chances In total. We hit a good patch, everything we touched seemed to go our way. We thought we could take on the world and the fact that we got a point against the mighty Arsenal just intensified the feeling.

These are the facts as I see it

We don't create enough chances

We can't rely on AJ to score all of our goals

Playing five men In the middle doesn't work If all they are doing Is containing the oppositions midfield

AJ shouldn't be dropping back into midfield to collect the ball when he is playing as a lone striker

When we do get into positions on the wing the midfielders aren't getting into the box quick enough

We are not scoring more goals then the opposition

We are not winning matches :(

Duffle Coat
13-12-2004, 10:33 PM
We have got a bit of a record against MU and I think we can keep it going in OT. Just hope AJ is OK and no one scores an OG unless its an MU.
p.s. I like initialising, please forgive.

Beanie
14-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Not sure a whole lot has gone wrong. Newcastle was predicatable, if unfotunate, we should have beaten Charlton and admittedly Blackburn was awful - but what did we seriously expect? Were we not going to have at least one spell like this during ths season? Out of the bottom three is all we seriously hoped for - and that was more than many expected - and that is where we are. We were supposed to be cut adrift by now, but we aren't. What is needed is something new - if only because the way we've been playing seems to have been sussed and two or three key players look a bit tired. We need everybody at 100% all the time, and that simply was never going to happen, people get tired and have a dip in form.

I'm sure ID has his tactical brain on right now for Portsmouth and the transfer window.

BaldEagle96
14-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by NO1FAN

We don't create enough chances

We can't rely on AJ to score all of our goals

Playing five men In the middle doesn't work If all they are doing Is containing the oppositions midfield

AJ shouldn't be dropping back into midfield to collect the ball when he is playing as a lone striker

When we do get into positions on the wing the midfielders aren't getting into the box quick enough

We are not scoring more goals then the opposition

We are not winning matches :(


Must admit I agree with all of that and would add our left sided defence is just not good enough at this level!

stushirts
14-12-2004, 12:18 PM
we need some new proven faces to come in january otherwise we will be dommed , doomed I say .
hopefully we can get 13 points from the remaining fixtures and just stay up.

Brixton Boy
14-12-2004, 12:37 PM
But remember last season, we didn't start playing til after Christmas so, looks like Eufa cup qualification at the least

Gooders
14-12-2004, 12:41 PM
In the First Division, you can get away with 3 or 4 people having an off-day, and still grind out a result.

In the Premiership, if more than 1 or 2 are not performing close to the peak of their powers, then you will get found out.

Unfortunately, we have lately had about 4 or 5 people per game having a bad day at the office, and we've no chance whilst that continues.

The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
14-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Brixton Boy
But remember last season, we didn't start playing til after Christmas so, looks like Eufa cup qualification at the least That's exactly right. Wasn't it about this time last year that we lost 0-5 at Wigan and thought we were going to go down to Div 2. Have faith!!!!

bkcbongo
14-12-2004, 12:46 PM
being out if the bottom three means little when its so tight - one bad week and we could be bottom.

with our squad its all about belief - thats been the difference between these tight wins and narrow defeats. Unfortunaltely we lost the chance to regain belief and momentum against some 'easy' teams (if there are any), now we've got to hope that we get a couple of good results under our belts sharpish and hit form again.

and what better way than a result against man u. everyones worked out the 451, and it doesnt say a lot for our ambitions - so why not surprise Ferguson with a positive attacking formation, and give the lads some belief that Dowie thinks they can go out and do the business.

we might get hammered, but if we play as we have been that's gonna probably happen anyway!

MikeyDread
14-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by NO1FAN
I think the games that we actually won Fulham, West Brom, Birmingham could of gone either way (with the exception of Fulham maybe)

Against West Brom they had a fair few chances but muppet boy Earnshaw spurned them all :D Against Fulham they looked a very poor side who were out of sorts and we beat them comfortably. Then of course against Birmingham, It was backs to the wall all game and with a break away we scored. In them 3 games we scored 6 goals and I doubt we had more than 10 chances In total. We hit a good patch, everything we touched seemed to go our way. We thought we could take on the world and the fact that we got a point against the mighty Arsenal just intensified the feeling.

These are the facts as I see it

We don't create enough chances

We can't rely on AJ to score all of our goals

Playing five men In the middle doesn't work If all they are doing Is containing the oppositions midfield

AJ shouldn't be dropping back into midfield to collect the ball when he is playing as a lone striker

When we do get into positions on the wing the midfielders aren't getting into the box quick enough

We are not scoring more goals then the opposition

We are not winning matches :(

Add to that excellent post but we are lumping too many long balls up in the air for AJ to chase when he will always get beaten due to size. :(

Pistike
14-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Nothing it was always going to be like this.

Jimbo ?
14-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by pallet


15:00 Blackburn Everton Away win



would agree with the other but i would be surprised if blackburn dont get something in this one.

whats gone wrong? well I think we need to get another striker on and so we actually have 2 goal scorers onm the bpitch - Aj is doing a great job but he cant keep us up by him self

Fluffynuts
14-12-2004, 03:29 PM
We'v been sussed! Teams know how we play after watching against Arsenal, and we havnt got the strength or depth to change it!!

tonkers
14-12-2004, 03:31 PM
I think a 442 is in order

ps. congrats on first post duffy!

Scoot
14-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Far too many hit and hope long balls.

We have stopped playing football.. passing was what our game was all about and it has gone. :sob:

Fluffynuts
14-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Scoot
Far too many hit and hope long balls.

We have stopped playing football.. passing was what our game was all about and it has gone. :sob:

Very true, we need to bring in a creative midfielder in january
:rolleyes:

Putney Eagle
14-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Why the doom and gloom??

we are doing ok.

If someone would have said to me in August that we would be fourth from bottom now, I would have taken it.

Ok, a couple of teams have played us off the park, but no one has really caned us, which was what all those so called experts (Hansen etc) thought would happen.

We know it is going to be a struggle, but there are 5 or 6 teams in the same predicament - it is going to come down to a couple of points, and it could be worse, look at Leeds!!!!