PDA

View Full Version : Crouch on way?

John Jackson
14-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Dowie is an admirer of this player and we need a player of his type to complement AJ.Sports journo I know reckins a bid's in.Might change now Arry's on charge down there tho.

MartinE
14-12-2004, 12:00 PM
You have got to be having a laugh

cpfcben
14-12-2004, 12:02 PM
scored on saturday and I can't see Arry letting him leave to join a relegation rival. Think he would be a good signing for us.

Jim Cannon
14-12-2004, 12:04 PM
This is not even funny

RDSdaEAGLE
14-12-2004, 12:05 PM
He caused us any number of problems when we played them, and if it hadn't been for him they wouldn't have won a point.

He's still a freak though.

wedgetail
14-12-2004, 12:05 PM
We would look funny with the shortest and tallest strikers in the country in the same side.

Jim Cannon
14-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by John Jackson
Dowie is an admirer of this player

1. Allow the above words to sink in for a moment.

2. If they were actually true and I hope they are not how many people would come on here and say "if he's good enough for ID he's good enough for me"

Sussex Eagle
14-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Would be a better partner for AJ than anyone we currently have - but there are better options to be had, I'm sure.

brighton_eagle
14-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Could do a job for us, but it wouldn't be pretty to watch.

OriginalNutter
14-12-2004, 12:13 PM
How could I cheer him on in a Red & Blue shirt after the Freak abuse I gave him at selhurst park. :eek:

Jasper
14-12-2004, 12:18 PM
In the summer i was terrified we might sign him, I was so relived to see him go to Southampton. He is just the kind of crap player we dont need. Rubbish at Villa, Rubbish at Southampton. Freedman, Ventola, Kaviedes, Torghelle, Andrews, Shipperly, Granville, (Bob) Dowie, Jim Harbin and Dom Jordan are all better strikers than Crouch in my opinion.

MikeyDread
14-12-2004, 12:19 PM
There is no way that he would come to us why risk it as a player as we are not yet out of the relegation battle but he would be a good addition to the team as we do need height up front.

maestro
14-12-2004, 12:21 PM
He is horrible to watch but i do think he'd do a great job, look at all those crosses that our wingers put in, i think he'd score loads

Jim Cannon
14-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Trust me he WOULD come. Please do not let this happen.

st albans
14-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Dowie is an admirer of this player

and you know this for a fact?

Radders
14-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Of all the people we have been linked with I like this the least!!

cpfcben
14-12-2004, 12:25 PM
.. SUPRISINGLY GREAT WITH HIS FEET.

Psychokiller
14-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Won't happen. From what I understand Redknapp is looking to recreate the Quinn/Phillips partnership using him.

Brett
14-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Not Harry's cup of tea. I think he got rid of him from Pompey (albeit for a hefty fee).

King William
14-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
He caused us any number of problems when we played them, and if it hadn't been for him they wouldn't have won a point.

he didnt cause us the problems - our defenders did

gold76
14-12-2004, 12:36 PM
I don't see him being any better than any we currently have, unless the Torghelle rumours are true, I can't see Crouch coming here. He'd be an immediate target for the boo-boys.

Jasper
14-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by gold76
I don't see him being any better than any we currently have, unless the Torghelle rumours are true, I can't see Crouch coming here. He'd be an immediate target for the boo-boys.

I'll kick things off

Booooooo-urns :p

WorthingEagle
14-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Has anybody here actually seen Crouch play? As Cpfcben says, he's bloody good on the deck considering his height.

If our dumbass players are going to be launching it long despite having the smallest front four above U9 level, we might as well get someone who has a chance of winning our aimless hoofs!

Jimbo ?
14-12-2004, 12:42 PM
cant really see it happening myself. but would welcome him as he would score goals for us

Gosling
14-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by cpfcben
.. SUPRISINGLY GREAT WITH HIS FEET.

I agree entirely. Crouch is a tidy footballer.

Dave
14-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Has anybody here actually seen Crouch play? As Cpfcben says, he's bloody good on the deck considering his height. A few times - I like him.

How is Kyle doing for Sunderland?

Son of Ron
14-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Won't happen. From what I understand Redknapp is looking to recreate the Quinn/Phillips partnership using him.

can we go in for Beattie then ?!

Pezzadoner
14-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by wedgetail
We would look funny with the shortest and tallest strikers in the country in the same side.

What about Crouch and Phillips then?

IMO Southampton caused us very few problems upfront until it Crouch entered the arena and think he could do a job for us but I wouldn't really want him anyway. Get Ashton in!

TN16_Eagle
14-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by OriginalNutter
How could I cheer him on in a Red & Blue shirt after the Freak abuse I gave him at selhurst park. :eek:

And at St Mary's!
FFFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKK KKKKKK!

Baldy
14-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Sports journo I know

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Gazza2
14-12-2004, 01:31 PM
I would welcome him. We need another option for when we have to chase game. Lets face it, we have not got the qulaity to compete with the top half of the table sides, so route 1 may be only option when we are trailing to them.

GreatGonzo
14-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Crouch USED to be a pretty good 1st division striker, he would bang them in regularly, he just had one major problem - he couldn't head the ball!

In the last few years since i last saw him play LIVE he has learnt to head the ball and i think he would be a great signing for us. On the floor he is useful, in the air he could be essential for us, the only question mark i would have would be over his workrate!

eagles #1
14-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Wont happen.

etu
14-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Redknapp seems to be keen on him staying at St. Marys, elsewise I'd trust Dowie on this. Someone to provide an aerial threat is a great idea and I don't think you've going to get many better than him for the task in our situation.

Besides, watching him line up besides AJ, Super-Wayney, Hughsey and Joonas is going to give me the giggles.

TonbridgeEagle
14-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Crouch could be a good signing for us. Wouldn't turn him down if we were offered.

sydnsteve
14-12-2004, 02:14 PM
GG, he is better in the air, but still very poor for his height. I hope this is yet another in the endless 'my friend told me' league of stories.

GreatGonzo
14-12-2004, 02:20 PM
sydnsteve - he is a lot better than he was which shows a willingness to learn and train, if we can make him good in the air then he would be lethal!

AJ
14-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Against Boro at the weekend Couch was Southampton's most creative player and yes he is good with his feet. Funnily enough, I don't think that he is all that good with his head. He get's to most headers because of his height.

Lee B
14-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by TonbridgeEagle
Crouch could be a good signing for us. Wouldn't turn him down if we were offered.

What he said. The fellas still only 22 23 isn't he? He's going to be a right handful in a few years. Alas I don't think that this one's going to happen.

nookiebear
14-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Wouldn't be against this, it's something that's been suggested before

Tommy Pickle
14-12-2004, 03:22 PM
After the Saints game, Dowie said he was well aware of the threat Peter Crouch poses, and that he 'knows what he's about' as he tried to get him loan when he was at Oldham.

IMO if we could get hold of him, he would be a useful player.

Dillenger
14-12-2004, 03:47 PM
always thought he was sh*t in the air for someone his height. he might well be a tidy footballer on the deck, but with him up front the temptation to lump balls up to him will be too much.

pedro
14-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Work great at Routledge's free kicks/corners. You put AJ at the near post for the usual that doesn't get more than 3 feet off the ground and never clears the first defender and then have Crouch at the back stick for when he hits it harder in an attempt to clear the front man and ends up too long. :D (just a joke before all you Routledge lovers start slating me!)

Falco
14-12-2004, 04:00 PM
I saw him cause Bolton all sorts of trouble when he was playing for Villa last season. And whilst his heading ability can be improved for such a big player, the knock down against us showed he is a handful and can show intelligence. I have no doubts he would be effective as a striker as we could buy for someone within his price range.

CP Satellite
14-12-2004, 04:02 PM
He always seems to have his head in the clouds.

maestro
14-12-2004, 05:52 PM
I think AJ would love playing with him, as someone said earlier if were going to play long balls he's the best man to have!

Dont think it will happen though as he'd only just seened and didnt southampton pay 2million or so?

cpfc_spc1982
14-12-2004, 06:04 PM
i dont like him much but he caused us all sorts of problems when we went down there and he had a good game at the weekend.

glaziers fan
14-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Smashing player. Just what we need. Good on the ground and ok in the air! I was shocked Dowie went for all the other strikers in the summer cos he is such a big admirer of Crouch. Redknapp won't let him leave though. He rated him higher than John Carew when he was at Portsmouth. We would have some aerial power if he came and is a far better prospect than Euell.

nelson alfie
15-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Peter Crouch is a good player - just a bit unorthodox (and freaky) Be an even better player if he had a regular run in a team somewhere.

Mind you that last comment also applies to Sandor and perhaps Iain's priority is to get him sorted out first.

Malakite
15-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Dowie is an admirer of this player and we need a player of his type to complement AJ.Sports journo I know reckins a bid's in.Might change now Arry's on charge down there tho.

FREAKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Malakite
15-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by maestro
I think AJ would love playing with him, as someone said earlier if were going to play long balls he's the best man to have!

Dont think it will happen though as he'd only just seened and didnt southampton pay 2million or so?

I agree...maybe stick 4 across the midfield, then we can hoof it when required up to big Freak man who is ace at getting the flick-ons for AJ..can you IMAGINE the amount of chances that he would set up for AJ?...Man this could be a great signing, BUT is it really a possibility? That's the question! ????????/

Chickereagle
15-12-2004, 08:37 AM
IIRC, Harry said last Saturday that he hoped that the Crouch/Phillips combination could be the new Quinn/Phillips "deadly duo" with Crouch setting up the chances for Phillips and contributing goals of his own.

glaziers fan
16-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Malakite
FREAKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

How intelligent!

Eagle
16-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Harry Redknapp was saying today on Sky that he would not be selling James Beattie in January so i would imagine he would partner Beattie and Phillips together, leaving Crouch out of the team.
I wouldnt be surprised if Dowie made a bid in january and that Redknapp would seriously consider it cos he did also say that Southampton were on a very limitied budget.

limited_edition
16-12-2004, 08:33 PM
So far, I've heard he's not much cop with his head despite his height. And he's pretty good on the deck. But what we need is someone who can hold the ball up with his back to the goal, bringing AJ and the other attacking players into play. Can he do that ?

Gooders
16-12-2004, 08:40 PM
It's quite ironic that when I had a chat with Dowie last season he said that he liked big players, and that the team needed more height and strength.

And now we have Routledge, Hughes, AJ and Kolkka contributing to the average height of our team every week.

imilanpalace
17-12-2004, 08:47 AM
You must be having a laugh, i have posted on this man many times in the past years. when we had the speculation about signing him a wile back. Crouch is crap, why would we want him: allready we have shipps and sandor who are the better version of crouch so why would we possibaly want him...

He has no 1st touch, and for someone as tall as he is hes terrible in the air. he looses his footing alot and isnt very good full stop

cpfc_spc1982
17-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by imilanpalace
You must be having a laugh, i have posted on this man many times in the past years. when we had the speculation about signing him a wile back. Crouch is crap, why would we want him: allready we have shipps and sandor who are the better version of crouch so why would we possibaly want him...

He has no 1st touch, and for someone as tall as he is hes terrible in the air. he looses his footing alot and isnt very good full stop

in all honesty , crouch's aerial ability isnt as it should for someone so large be but he wins every header that is going.
alot better than shipps or torghelle for this reason alone.

jabbski
17-12-2004, 10:00 AM
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK!!!!!!!!!!

BW_Palace
17-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Yes, we had that already...

Would be a good signing IMO if it's true.

Tommy Pickle
20-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace
Yes, we had that already...

Would be a good signing IMO if it's true.

I agree.

Jza
20-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Definatly a good signing - but considering the number of strikers we already have on the pay roll, im not so sure we need another one. Having said this, I reckon Dowie would personally be able to drastically improve his heading abilities (which are weak for one so tall). Harbin could beef him up abit and his ball control seems pretty good already.

Im still convinced that Ventola will be the best partner for AJ, and the two of them could easily out score all the other relegation contendors strike forces!
Norwich: Svensson & Mckenzie :clown:
WBA: Kanu & Earnshaw - earnshaw might get a few but Kanu doesnt know where the goal is!
Blackburn: bothroyd, Dickov & Stead - the first two are just plain nutters and Stead has the potential but still has abit further to go
Southampton: Phillips, Beattie & Crouch - All seem to be mis firing at the moment, alot of potential though.

AJ and Ventola is the key in the new year for our survival! :lux: :lux:

Clapham Grand
20-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Beattie is being sold. They won't sell Crouch as well

Windom Earle
20-12-2004, 05:08 PM
hope so. perfect partner for AJ!

Jza
20-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Beattie is being sold. They won't sell Crouch as well

True but Im sure they'll get abit of cash for him and invest in at least one attacking player (Redknapp remember!!) and they also have Blackstock so......Crouch could leave

Father Fertile
20-12-2004, 05:09 PM
If Ventola ever gets healthy to play! He could be the answer to our prayers so get well soon Nicola!

Palaceboy222
20-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Could be a good signing, i also feel that Klye could do a good job for us

Chris Finch
20-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Crouch for Palace?

Sounds like another tall tale to me

cpfc_spc1982
20-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Palaceboy222
Could be a good signing, i also feel that Klye could do a good job for us

not from the sidelines he couldnt.