PDA

View Full Version : Guy Roux

James Varcoe
14-12-2004, 05:14 PM
On the front page of the sports section of last sunday's Sunday Herald is a flash promoting a major feature on the legend that is Auxerre's Guy Roux ahead of this weeks UEFA clash versus Rangers.
The septagenarian manager is pictured wearing a light blue tracksuit to and.....

.....a Crystal Palace hat!!!!!

Inside on the feature itself is a huge picture of the man taking training wearing the same headwear.

Anyone have any idea why?

tonkers
14-12-2004, 05:18 PM
maybe because they support palace, just an idea!!

davematt
14-12-2004, 05:20 PM
He is the Dario Gradi of French Football.

Maybe he just has a love for the Palace :love:

Pokerface
14-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Quote Brett 27-02-2003 09:22 PM:

"A little known and often overlooked fact is that Guy Roux began coaching at...

Crystal Palace."

davematt
14-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Pokerface

Crystal Palace."

If that true, the meaning 'You learn something new everyday' comes into place. I had no idea at all.

honeysuckle
14-12-2004, 05:53 PM
He a a very good cook as well. Several restaurants with his brother in Oxon. The chips at the Holmesdale should come with a better sauce if he's in charge

Brett
14-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Pokerface

Crystal Palace."

It's true. I'm not sure whether it was junior or senior players but he was here in the 60's. Perhaps we made a lasting impression on him like Liverpool had on Gerard Houllier?

Kirby
15-12-2004, 02:20 AM
Bloody hell, never knew that! :eek:

He's a legend!

Farawayeagle
15-12-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Brett
It's true. I'm not sure whether it was junior or senior players but he was here in the 60's. Perhaps we made a lasting impression on him like Liverpool had on Gerard Houllier?

He came to Palace as part of his coaching education in the eighties -- studying the english game.

Foreign coaches modernised English football says Roux
First Published: Feb 19, 2003

Auxerre manager Guy Roux said ahead of his side's UEFA Cup fourth round first leg clash with Liverpool on Thursday that foreign coaches had modernised English football.

Roux, who has built a reputation over three decades at the small club for developing top-class talent including Eric Cantona and Laurent Blanc, was scathing about the sophistication of training sessions at top English clubs.

He said things only changed when Arsene Wenger joined Arsenal in 1996, followed by former French national coach Gerard Houllier at Liverpool.
"I really liked the structure of English football, with their four divisions," the 64-year-old told Thursday's edition of Le Figaro newspaper.

"But even with the professionalism that they have developed over more than a century, I wasn't impressed by everything, especially their training.

"I took several courses at Crystal Palace, Tottenham and Arsenal in 1984 and I noticed that their training methods dated from 1880.

"It was French and Italian coaches like Wenger, Houllier and (Gianluca) Vialli who brought in modern training techniques.

"And even in their style of playing, it is once again continental coaches who have taught them to play the ball better, but not all of them have managed it yet."

Roux said he took his hat off to the success over the Channel of Houllier and especially Wenger, who has won two domestic doubles in 1998 and 2002 with Arsenal.

"They were already great coaches in France, but they have become even greater over there because it's difficult.

"With the English, you can do what you like but you are still a foreigner."

Asked what was the essential difference between Auxerre - France's sole survivors in European competition this season - and Liverpool, Roux replied: "Our annual budget is the equivalent of Liverpool's monthly budget, which tells you everything about the gulf between the two clubs."

Brett
15-12-2004, 12:00 PM
I've heard him say before that he was here in the 60's.

I'm sure he even played for us at some level, too.

Clapham Grand
15-12-2004, 02:08 PM
I have learnt something new today!