PDA

View Full Version : Northan Ireland midfielder

danibutcher
16-12-2004, 11:55 AM
From Internet sources palace have been linked with portadown midfielder michael "mickey" Collins. Liverpool also interested.

http://www.portadownfc.co.uk/first_players.aspx?id=11

cpfc_spc1982
16-12-2004, 11:56 AM
internet sources ...... ?

danibutcher
16-12-2004, 11:57 AM
well a rumour page. just seems quite believeable as its not a premier or champ player??

danibutcher
16-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Thought i'd post it tho as he is another midfielder

RDSdaEAGLE
16-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Where's Northan Ireland?

GUCCI Eagle
16-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Where's Northan Ireland?

North of Southan Ireland?

danibutcher
16-12-2004, 12:01 PM
its near grate britin

JohnA
16-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Michael Collins.

Now that's a name with conotations:

http://www2.cruzio.com/~sbarrett/mcollins.htm

Cleon
16-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Yeah. Brilliant. An unknown 27 year old Northern Irishman called Michael Collins. Move on.

Psychokiller
16-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Yeah. Brilliant. An unknown 27 year old Northern Irishman called Michael Collins. Move on.

I remember an unknown 27 year old David Madden doing wonders for us.

King William
16-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by danibutcher
From Internet sources palace have been linked with portadown midfielder michael "Collins.

m collins. hmmmmmm.:eek:

Farawayeagle
16-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Looks like a hefty bugger!!!

Already been at Sheff Utd and Darlington.

http://www.portadownfc.co.uk/first_players.aspx?ID=11

Farawayeagle
16-12-2004, 01:46 PM
More info

Some comments from sports writers talking about their favourite Irish League midfielders:
-------------------------------

MICKEY Collins is the best midfielder in the Irish League without a doubt.

He has come on leaps and bounds and now has the consistency he lacked while at the Reds.

He also seems to have sorted his attitude - seen him a couple of weeks back (he'd just returned from training) and he looked in good shape.

Portadown miss him, like Man Utd miss Roy Keane, evidenced by their results so far this season - two defeats without Collins, one win with him playing.

-------------

MICHAEL Collins, undoubtly the most talented player in the League.

-------------------
MICKEY Collins by a mile.

Anytime I have seen him he bosses the midfield, and I would love to see him in a Sky Blue shirt.
Maybe worth 100k?

--------------

MICKEY Collins.

We could have beaten Portadown at home last season if it wasn't for him, but instead got stuffed 4-1.

He should be playing in England.

----------------
Dream Team

MOST valuable keeper - Alan Mannus (Linfield)

Most valuable defender - Paul Leeman (Glentoran)

Most valuable midfielder - Mickey Collins (Portadown)

Most valuable forward - Gary Hamilton (Portadown)

cpfc_connection
17-12-2004, 02:03 AM

And how many people had heard of Emerson Boyce before he came to Palace? Who had heard of Patrick Vieira, Thierry Henry or Cesc Fabregas before Wenger brought them to Arsenal?
Just because you haven't heard of him, doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

Cleon
17-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by cpfc_connection
And how many people had heard of Emerson Boyce before he came to Palace? Who had heard of Patrick Vieira, Thierry Henry or Cesc Fabregas before Wenger brought them to Arsenal?
Just because you haven't heard of him, doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

Most of us had heard of Emerson Boyce - he was clearly a star at Luton, and was destined for higher things having been their player of the year twice. Thierry Henry was an international player being played out of position in what was considered to be the toughtest league at the time, and Wenger still had to pay 10M for him. Patrick Vieira was also a player with international recognition that clearly didn't fit into Inter Milan's structure at the time, hence the bargain of 3.5M that Wenger paid for him. As for Cesc Faregas, he's 17 and youngster that Wenger's had to bring through ahead of time. Still a work in progress, as they say, and ever-so-slightly different to a 27 year old Ulsterman who's failed at two Nationwide League clubs so far and happens to be doing quite well in the Irish league.

I agree that you can pull rabbits out of hats - but I think we need something more substantial if we want to try and stay in this league.

Farawayeagle
17-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Most of us had heard of Emerson Boyce - he was clearly a star at Luton, and was destined for higher things having been their player of the year twice. Thierry Henry was an international player being played out of position in what was considered to be the toughtest league at the time, and Wenger still had to pay 10M for him. Patrick Vieira was also a player with international recognition that clearly didn't fit into Inter Milan's structure at the time, hence the bargain of 3.5M that Wenger paid for him. As for Cesc Faregas, he's 17 and youngster that Wenger's had to bring through ahead of time. Still a work in progress, as they say, and ever-so-slightly different to a 27 year old Ulsterman who's failed at two Nationwide League clubs so far and happens to be doing quite well in the Irish league.

I agree that you can pull rabbits out of hats - but I think we need something more substantial if we want to try and stay in this league.

I don't know if this guy is any good or even if Dowie is interested. The move was suggested and I did some digging.

But to suggest "Most of us had heard of Emerson Boyce - he was clearly a star at Luton, and was destined for higher things having been their player of the year twice,"

This is clearly delusional. I mix and exchange views with a great number of football fans from many teams. I have yet to meet anyone who knew of Emmerson Boyce before he turned up at Palace. The Luton player awards aren't exactly front page news in the media.

El Aguila
17-12-2004, 09:52 AM

He certainly looks substantial. A bit like Neil the Eagle's younger brother!

Cleon
17-12-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm sorry if your lack of knowledge upsets you. Most people I knew were more than aware of Boyce - his success at Luton was well documented in a team that were doing well, in the same way that people knew of Clinton Morrison and Hayden Mullins when they were both at Palace. It was well known that he'd turned down contract extensions at Luton and was likely to move on a free in the summer, with a number of (what are now called) Championship teams in the hunt, including Palace and Watford. Palace, having gained promotion to the Premiership, continued their interest, and the only 'surprise' has been just how quickly he has managed to adapt when many of us thought that it would take him longer. This has mainly been as a result of the unexpected and unfortunate injury to Danny Butterfield.

Farawayeagle
17-12-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm sorry if your lack of knowledge upsets you. Most people I knew were more than aware of Boyce - his success at Luton was well documented in a team that were doing well, in the same way that people knew of Clinton Morrison and Hayden Mullins when they were both at Palace. It was well known that he'd turned down contract extensions at Luton and was likely to move on a free in the summer, with a number of (what are now called) Championship teams in the hunt, including Palace and Watford. Palace, having gained promotion to the Premiership, continued their interest, and the only 'surprise' has been just how quickly he has managed to adapt when many of us thought that it would take him longer. This has mainly been as a result of the unexpected and unfortunate injury to Danny Butterfield.

-----------------

It's not my lack of knowledge. I had heard of Boyce. And it doesn't upset me, in the least. I was just making the point that noone else I knew -- had heard of him. That is because outside of the Premier League the media give much less coverage.
Also many of the Premier League fans have no interest in news fom other Divisions.

So unless you prowl football websites or go on messageboards like this -- like I do --
you wouldn't know many top players from the lower leagues.

This comment of yours reminds me of when my wife was promoting Ayers Rock in the Japan market -- people used to say to her all the time --- all the Japanese must know Ayers Rock -- it's so famous. Nothing could have been further from the truth -- except among the Japanese who were interested in Australia.

The same applies here -- only substitute -- "among those interested in the Second Division."

honeysuckle
18-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Dodgy unionist / republican haircut - Send him to Millwall.

Seriously - How good is the best player in the League of Ireland? He's not made the grade at Sheffield United so it's unlikely he'll be good enough for us.

honeysuckle
18-12-2004, 11:38 AM
I've been talking to my cousin in Belfast about life in general and asked him about Micheal Collins. It turns out he is quite a famous personality in Ulster.

He is one, probably Portadown's best player, a highly combative midfield player with a decent shot. He stocky and as hard as nails. Unfortunately he has an appalling temper and a disciplinary record that has meant several lengthy bans including a European ban after a fracas against some unpronouceable Albanian team.

My cousin who follows Linfield and hasn't got much time for Portadown reckons that Collins doesn't have the know- how upstairs to change his attitude and that he wouldn't make the grade at Palace. One person's opinion but Palace would be Collins seventh team and he's only 27.

Gooders
18-12-2004, 12:26 PM
I assume Dave would love us to have Michael Collins playing for us? :o

Randomly Random
20-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Patrick Vieira was also a player with international recognition that clearly didn't fit into Inter Milan's structure at the time, hence the bargain of 3.5M that Wenger paid for him.

Vieira was actually at AC Milan, not Inter.