PDA

View Full Version : Olivier Bernard

Billyd
16-12-2004, 10:07 PM
He's unsettled at newcastle. although very unlikely to join us would be a perfect signing, great left back and can play on the wing

Neil 154
16-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Was Newcastle's best player against us IMHO. Break the bank I say.

BW_Palace
16-12-2004, 10:14 PM
I'd love it to happen, but it won't.

Ardent Eagle Forever
16-12-2004, 10:14 PM
loan deal anyone???

BW_Palace
16-12-2004, 10:16 PM
I think the problem he has is that he's not been offered a new contract - so a loan wouldn't solve anything?

hughsaaaay
16-12-2004, 10:17 PM
I've heard Olivier Bernard was seconds away from signing for us but, just as pen was being put to paper he learned that the other left back at the club was Danny Granville. Bernard is very supersticious and was terrified that he might catch the Granville 'disease' of awful defending so needless to say suffered a change of heart and will not now be joining us.

maestro
16-12-2004, 10:19 PM
I dont think he'll step down from newcastle to us, I reckon he would be on a decent wage aswell

forsells no1 fan
16-12-2004, 10:24 PM
He is an excellent player and if he does leave newcastle he wouldnt come to us!

Ben H
16-12-2004, 10:27 PM
I can't agree with any of the above. From what I've seen this season his defending has been shocking.

Barry
16-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Why the f**k would Bernard come to Palace? He is Newcastles best defender, well at least their only half decent defender.

If he left Newcastle he would go to a bigger club than Palace!

cpfc_spc1982
16-12-2004, 10:35 PM
no chance.
we would have a chance with clichy on loan i feel but we would be screwed if ashley got injured or suspended.

zonin2000
16-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Yup, Bernard is mulling over the idea of leaving Newcastle, but to join a bigger club.

So, no.

Sir.S.C Remembered
17-12-2004, 12:18 AM
I think he is the second best left back in the league after Ashley Cole, but it is not going to happen!

Actually though Routledge made him look a mug though in the recent game

Kirby
17-12-2004, 12:39 AM
No chance.

He wants to be one of the top earners at Newcastle so he's hardly gonna come here is he?

Cleon
17-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Personally I've never had much time for Bernard, and I've seen Newcastle live on several occasions (and not just against Palace). He's often found out of position, and his tackling can be poor. OK, he did well against us, but so did Matt Gregg.

I also suspect he wouldn't want to come.

Senor Ding-Dong
17-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Heavily linked with Juventus in the Italian press. Sounds unlikely but they don't like spending money

imilanpalace
17-12-2004, 08:54 AM
At least we would have a decent free kick taker and a very powerful shot great player, not going to sign for us though

Reps AJ
17-12-2004, 09:04 AM
I thought the problems with his new contract at Newcastle were because he wanted an 8 million fee or something ridiculous :eek:

Reps AJ
17-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Reps AJ
I thought the problems with his new contract at Newcastle were because he wanted an 8 million fee or something ridiculous :eek:

From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4034805.stm)

Bernard threatens to quit Magpies

Bernard wants pay parity with Newcastle's top earners
Defender Olivier Bernard has threatened to quit Newcastle if he does not get a substantial pay rise.
The Frenchman is looking to double his wages to 30,000 a week, in line with the club's current top earners.

Bernard's contract expires next summer and he said: "I'm not being greedy, I believe I deserve more as I was one of the best players last season.

"I know there are clubs where I could get even more than I'm asking for, and they're ready to sign me."

Bernard added: "I don't think I'm among the top 10 earners at the club, and that can't be right.

"I just want to be paid what I'm worth and where I should be.

I want to stay here, but sometimes you have to think about your own career

Newcastle defender Olivier Bernard

"I'm 25 and should be approaching my peak. I want to have my best years at Newcastle.

"I am ambitious and so long as this club matches those ambitions, in an ideal world I would stay here.

"This is my club and I want to stay here, but sometimes you have to think about your own career.

"It would break my heart to leave because I love it, I love the people and I love the area."

Everton, Rangers and Paris St Germain are thought to be monitoring the situation closely.

ANDYEAGLE
17-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Total daft thread even if we paid him the 50k a week he wants(yeh) he would'nt come to us.

Benzhiyi
17-12-2004, 10:08 AM
As Reps has posted, the only reason he's leaving Newcastle is for more wonga.

We'd have to pay him double what AJ gets at least, and no chance he'd consider Palace anyway... both of which make this an emphatic no-no.

hughsaaaay
17-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Reps AJ
From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4034805.stm)

Bernard threatens to quit Magpies

Bernard's contract expires next summer and he said:

"I'm not being greedy, I believe I deserve more as I was one of the best players last season.

"I know there are clubs where I could get even more than I'm asking for, and they're ready to sign me."

I want to stay here, but sometimes you have to think about your own career

Just can't survive on 15K a week can you! :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry