PDA

View Full Version : You have 5m to spend.

pedro
21-12-2004, 11:45 AM
As the transfer window approaches I thought it might be fun to see all you Dream Team/ CM 04-05 players in action. Imagine you had 5m to spend in the transfer window and could wheel and deal our 1st team players to produce a little extra cash as well, what realistic players would you chase and what would your new starting line up look like.
To get the ball rolling I would try and get Babayaro/Clichy on loan until the end of the season and if this didn't work I would offer WBA 1m for Clement. I would also go back to WBA with a 2m bid for Koumas. Next would be Etherington from West Ham who I would hope to get for 1.5m and then Ashton from Crewe for 2.5m with Harewood as reserve should that bid fail, also for 2.5m. Finally I would take 3m for Routledge (gasp) should it be on offer from Spurs and replace him with Ifill from Millwall for 0.5m.
I would then expect my team to be as follows.
Kiraly
Boyce
Sorrondo
Hall
Clement/Babayaro
Ifill
Riihilahti
Koumas
Etherington
Johnson
Ashton/Harewood

Subs: Speroni, Popovic, Butterfield, Hughes/Watson, Freedman

PalaceMonkey
21-12-2004, 11:48 AM
don't think you'd get ashton for 2.5, and i think ifill would be more expensive too

but like the look of your final 11 :p

Ardent Eagle Forever
21-12-2004, 11:56 AM
What's the point of going for Ashton, if we persist with 1 up front? Shipperley, Torghelle, Kaviedes can't get in the starting line up, so why should Ashton.

I would enjoy the prospect of ashton and AJ up front for us, but unless ID changes the fornation, then this ain't going to happen.

I do agree with Clement at West Brom though.

Pistike
21-12-2004, 11:56 AM
I'd get a lambourghini a holiday in the bahamas and a huge bag of coke.

Pistike
21-12-2004, 11:57 AM
oh and some eccles cakes.

OneSize
21-12-2004, 11:58 AM
In:

Neil Clement - 0.5M (contract up at end of season so cheap)
Nigel Reo-Coker - 1M
Jimmy Bullard - 2M
Dean Ashton - 2.5M

Out:

Powell - 300k
Derry - 100k
Freedman - 400k

Team would be:

......................Kiraly......................

Butterfield.....Hall.....Sorondo.....Clement

Routledge....Riihilahti....Bullard.....Kolkka

..................Johnson.......Ashton..........

Subs:
Speroni, Boyce, Leigertwood, Reo-Coker, Lakis

Jim Cannon
21-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Out - Shipps - 250K
Powell 250K
Derry 150K

In - Clement 650K
Koumas 2.5M
Ashton 2.5M

Daddy Long
21-12-2004, 12:05 PM
I'd get in Etuhu from Preston for about 300k - add a bit of height and muscle to midfield.

Konchesky from Charlton for 1 mill - pacey attacking fullback.

Berkovic from Portsmouth - 200k - midfield guile.

This Kristiansen chap from Denmark - 750k goalscoring versatile midfielder.

Use the rest on a striker - no idea who though.

KevTheOptimist
21-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Would defo go for Etherington, I rate him very highly. Also would go for a left back on loan in the shape of Babyaro and I would love to see Joe Cole on loan till the end of the season as an attacking option through midfield.

If West Brom looked doomed and we could prize Earnshaw away cut price I would as I rate him very highly.

cpfc_spc1982
21-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Ardent Eagle Forever
What's the point of going for Ashton, if we persist with 1 up front? Shipperley, Torghelle, Kaviedes can't get in the starting line up, so why should Ashton.

I would enjoy the prospect of ashton and AJ up front for us, but unless ID changes the fornation, then this ain't going to happen.

I do agree with Clement at West Brom though.

maybe too expansive but we could go 3 up front with ashton through the middle , aj coming in from the right and whoever from the left. at least there would be support in attack. and if need be the 2 wider men could drop back with ashton more capable than aj of holding the ball up.

Joeymaz
21-12-2004, 12:14 PM
I think that Dowie wants a midfielder with the quality to enable him to switch back to 4-4-2

Steve in Phoenix
21-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Etherington, Arca, Kily or Konchesky. One or two of those would make me very happy.

Lee B
21-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Dream World

Hartson - 5m
or
Rosicky - 5m
or
Smicer - 3m

Realistically:

Perm any 3 from here:

McFadden - Everton - 2m
Prutton - Forest 2m
Konchesky - 2m
Euell - 2m
Killy G - loan
Pennant - loan

Can't think of the holding / creative midfielder that we need at the moment....

mainstandeagle
21-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Julio Arca, Jimmy Bullard, Dean Ashton, Celestine Babayaro IN

Derry, Freedman, Powell OUT

I know I'm dreaming.

spt1978
21-12-2004, 12:52 PM
OK here goes dreamland time:

Out:

Routledge 3m
Derry 250k
Freedman 300k
Powell 100k
Shipperly 200k
Ventola - Return to Inter

Total: 3.85m

In:

Pennatt 2m
Darren Bent 3.5m
Etherington 1.5m
Ball - Free Transfer
Tonge: 1.75M

GK: Kiraly
LB: Ball
RB: Butterfield
CB: Hall
CB: Sorondo
LM: Etherington
RM: Pennatt
CM: Watson
CM:Tonge
ST: Johnson
ST: Bent

Subs: Speroni, Boyce, Leigertwood, Aki, Torgelle

eagle dom
21-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Etherington and Clement for me. I'm a bit stumped coming up with a quality centre mid...though if Berkovic was interested, up for it, fit and on form (a lot of ifs), he would be great.

Selling Wayne at this stage would be a mistake. Though he can be frustrating at times, he's only 19 and he'll improve in a Palace shirt for the rest of the season. He has a great record of assists and we have to keep him. I think it's definitely worth risking him going in the summer if he can help keep us in this league.

m355y
21-12-2004, 02:00 PM
in:

Garry Flitcroft - 1m
Gylfi Einarsson - Free
Jermaine Pennant - loan
Michael Gray - 500K
Paul Gallagher - 2m
Jason Koumas - 2m
David Bellion - 1m

out:

Michael Duberry - 500K to Stoke City
Michael Ricketts - Free to Norwich
Lucas Radebe - released
Seth Johnson - 750k to whoever
Eirik Bakke - 2m to WBA
Julian Joachim - sealed in a bin-bag and dumped into a quarry. Or 'donated' to Farnborough Town.

team....

Scott Carson
Gary Kelly, Paul Butler, Matthew Kilgallon, Michael Gray
Jermaine Pennant, Garry Flitcroft, Jason Koumas, Danny Pugh
David Healy, Paul Gallagher

SUBS: Neil Sullivan, Frazer Richardson, Gylffi Einarsson, David Bellion, Jermaine Wright.

sad thing is, I'm living in dream-world too. Our real post-January team will be really sh*t compared to that.

Supa Ol
21-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Lee B
Prutton - Forest 2m

He's at Southampton these days.

Lee B
21-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Supa Ol
He's at Southampton these days.

Whoops, quite right, let's put that in the 'not going to happen' collumn then.

GUCCI Eagle
21-12-2004, 03:08 PM
A palatial home in San Francisco.

Pistike
21-12-2004, 03:14 PM
You're not worried about earthquakes?

You'd be a lot better off with eccles cakes.

GUCCI Eagle
21-12-2004, 03:21 PM
That's a good point - maybe a palatial home somewhere else then. Maybe Cyprus?

Dobbo
21-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by KevTheOptimist
If West Brom looked doomed and we could prize Earnshaw away cut price I would as I rate him very highly.
I hope you're not being serious.....

Santos-er
21-12-2004, 03:34 PM
good god no. he looks like a gerbil with water on the brain

Steve in Phoenix
21-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by m355y
Seth Johnson - 750k to whoever

Isnt Seth Johnson the really massively overpaid one? I remember Leeds signed him when he was very highly rated and a story coming out later how the chairman panicked when he thought Seth wasnt going to accept and immediately doubled his the offer.

If he is so highly paid, I doubt you could get any money for him unless you are paying some of those wages off. But could be a good fit for Palace as a midfield harrier with a bit of passing ability (Hughes and Watson being out of form). Wouldnt mind Bakke either despite his injury record. Just remembered the Derry fiasco though so it aint happening.

kiraly is god
21-12-2004, 05:32 PM
jason eull------2m
neil clement----500.000

Palaceboy222
21-12-2004, 07:08 PM
In

One of Ashton (3Mill) /Harewood (2/2.5Mill)

Etuhu - would be good but i doubt we'd get him for anything near as low as 350,000 (as someone said earlier in the thread) unless his contracts up at the end of the season?

Konchesky - Dowie would get the best out of him and he could get back to the form when he was arguably the 2nd best english left back, if not go forClement

Kily Gonzarles - loan (got to be worth a punt!!)

Sussex Eagle
21-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Ermmm, for 5m I'd probably try and negotiate my way to getting Almeyda, Berkovic & Tony Capaldi for a maximum of 1 million combined, then put in a bid of 3 to 4 million + Black and/or Shipperley for Nathan Ellington.

*EDIT* Oh, and Kily G on a loan :p

m355y
21-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
Isnt Seth Johnson the really massively overpaid one? I remember Leeds signed him when he was very highly rated and a story coming out later how the chairman panicked when he thought Seth wasnt going to accept and immediately doubled his the offer.

If he is so highly paid, I doubt you could get any money for him unless you are paying some of those wages off. But could be a good fit for Palace as a midfield harrier with a bit of passing ability (Hughes and Watson being out of form). Wouldnt mind Bakke either despite his injury record. Just remembered the Derry fiasco though so it aint happening.

you're quite right, he's likely to for nothing but I was trying to get the books to balance. And if someone's kind enough to give us money for him then I doubt they'll argue! Villa are expected to pay 1m for Gary Kelly, despite his wages, I guess it just depends who's interested. One thing's for certain though, Kelly, Bakke, Johnson and Duberry will be out of the door one way or another. If Palace come in for Johnson they probably stand a decent chance and I agree, provided he comes off the sick list he'd be a good fit at Palace, he was overrated when we signed him, but if anything he's underrated now.

kiraly is god
21-12-2004, 07:26 PM
give gabor kiraly a new contract for 10 yrs and a signin on fee of 5 million :D

Sussex Eagle
21-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Palaceboy222
Harewood (2/2.5Mill)

That is seriously nutty.

wedgetail
21-12-2004, 07:31 PM
The main positions to fill are 1. left back, 2. midfield 3. Striker, so

In:
Gabbidon
Sidwell

and trade Wayne to Spurs to get Ashton.

Out:
Shipps (thanks for the memories, but it is time to part)
Derry
Granville (probably only posssible at the end of the season)

HHHH
21-12-2004, 07:38 PM
As a realist I don't see us signing anyone good.

The best we can hope for is a crappy left back who plays for Darlington.

Palaceboy222
21-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by HHHH
As a realist I don't see us signing anyone good.

The best we can hope for is a crappy left back who plays for Darlington.

Doesnt Curtis Fleming play for Darlington? and isnt his second position left back?;)

cstickner
21-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Sidwell would be interesting. Another forward ideally Ashton but probably a hammer Harewood. More importantly a left back.

Skid Row
21-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Should put a bid in for Bresciano from Parma. There's your creative midfielder. Can take free kicks too.

Raoul Duke
21-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Bresciano is a top player but is playing regularly at Parma so I doubt he would want to move. Shame.

Raoul Duke
21-12-2004, 09:12 PM
I watched the Brum vs WBA game and I thought that Koumas was quite impressive and passed the ball very well. Apparently that was his first start of the season and has had troubles breaking into the first team. He could be worth a punt - plenty of skill but perhaps a questionable attituide.

I know I'm not the first person to mention Koumas but I'd like to see him here.

Skid Row
21-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
Bresciano is a top player but is playing regularly at Parma so I doubt he would want to move. Shame.
Oh no he's not. They've got a new manager and Marco isnt getting a run anymore.

The Vicar
21-12-2004, 09:27 PM
IN

Kily Gonzalez -- loan
Jason Koumas -- 2 million
Neil Clement -- 500k
Jason Euall -- 1.75 million
Hayden Mullins -- 750k

OUT

Tommy Black
Darren Powell
Sean Derry

Bringing in 750k total

Our midfielders are knackered. We need quality and depth in that department. Mullins can provide cover for Aki and Hughes. Koumas can fill in for Hughes or Watson. Gonzalez for Kollka, Hughes or Watson. Euall can play attacking mid if we decide to stick with 4-5-1 (in a slightly more attacking formation).

We also need a left back, hence Clement.

Torghelle and hopefully Ventola when fit can do the job up front alongside AJ (as can Euall).

With the 5 players above, we would have a very good chance of staying up. If we could only afford 2-3 million, I'd cross off Euall and Mullins.

Also, I would play Clement right away, but only bring in the others slowly as they win a place.

andy_cpfc
21-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Signings

Ashton - 3 million
Konchesky - 2 million

Loans

Huth
Parker

Martin H
21-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by andy_cpfc
Signings

Ashton - 3 million
Konchesky - 2 million

Loans

Huth
Parker

Like the cut of your jib sir!

Does/can Huth play the anchor midfield role?

That would sort out the back 4+1 and would give us the strength to play more formations than 4 5 1.

But the odds of pulling these tfrs off is unfortunately very low so I won't hold my breath.

BW_Palace
21-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Skid Row
Oh no he's not. They've got a new manager and Marco isnt getting a run anymore.

Oh really - it would be an amazing signing - but other clubs would get him ahead of us I would think.

cpfclife
21-12-2004, 10:34 PM
in:
Pennant 3m
ashton 2m
out:
pops
torghelle

saul1664
21-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Not doing the ins and outs, a lot of us seem to have a knowledge of players in this country, but not necessarily in other countries, unless our foreign posters can help us out (as this is where inevitably new singings will come).

Koumas will never come, he has already stated that there is no way he would come to London, maybe part of the reason he is languishing at WBA at the moment.

I would like to see Andy Reid, surely a decent offer to Forest and he's ours, I am also keen on Danny Webber at Watford, seems to have bags of pace and skill (know injured at moment).

I would like to see a LB to replace Granville, but don't have any suggestions myself...

Jaserob
21-12-2004, 10:47 PM
I think I would look to see if I could find out what Michele Padovano, Thomas Brolin and Valerien Ismael are doing?? I think I could get them all for 5 Mill. :) ;)

cpfc_spc1982
21-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Martin H

no and most unlikely.

andy_cpfc
21-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Like the cut of your jib sir!

That would sort out the back 4+1 and would give us the strength to play more formations than 4 5 1.

But the odds of pulling these tfrs off is unfortunately very low so I won't hold my breath.

My way of looking at the tranfer situation was to address the areas that need improving the most, i reckon our weekest areas are left back, creative midfield and a decent centre forward.

The left back situation could be filled by koncesky, probally the best option available. Id love to see ashton at the club, hisb goal scroing record speaks for itself in an averaqge crewe team.

Parker on loan is a bit of a long shot, im not sure if he would want to join palace and im sure plenty of other teams will be interested, berkovic maybe a more realisistic possibility.

I went to watch chelsea once with a mate last year in a thilling 0-0 draw with everton, Robert huth played the final half hour of the match and looked very clam and effective, i think he is better than popovic, powell etc and could put a bit of pressue on the centeral defenders.

It is better buying less but quality players, we brought plenty of average players in the summer and we dont need anymore.

glaziers fan
22-12-2004, 12:10 AM
QUALITY not quantity please Dowie.

Ashton 3m (striker to play with AJ even more pressing than the left-back problem IMHO, plus he is one for the future.)

Konchesky 2m (good left-back. Far better than DG. Our weakest position so far this season.)

Loan:

Kily Gonzalez. Left-wing. Would add loads to our team as he would be the only attacking player with a left-foot at the club!

I would then go for:

Kiraly

Konchesky
Popovic
Hall
Boyce

Gonzalez
Aki
Watson
Routledge

Ashton
AJ

Subs:

Ventola
Kolkka
Hughes
Speroni
Leigertwood

glaziers fan
22-12-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by andy_cpfc
My way of looking at the tranfer situation was to address the areas that need improving the most, i reckon our weekest areas are left back, creative midfield and a decent centre forward.

The left back situation could be filled by koncesky, probally the best option available. Id love to see ashton at the club, hisb goal scroing record speaks for itself in an averaqge crewe team.

Parker on loan is a bit of a long shot, im not sure if he would want to join palace and im sure plenty of other teams will be interested, berkovic maybe a more realisistic possibility.

I went to watch chelsea once with a mate last year in a thilling 0-0 draw with everton, Robert huth played the final half hour of the match and looked very clam and effective, i think he is better than popovic, powell etc and could put a bit of pressue on the centeral defenders.

It is better buying less but quality players, we brought plenty of average players in the summer and we dont need anymore.

Agree with most of this, especially addressing the problem areas first and buying quality not quantity. In order of importance - Ashton, Konchesky and then the rest not nearly so important. Let's hope it happens.:p

cpfc_spc1982
22-12-2004, 09:57 AM
1. a striker who can hold the ball up (but at the same time not think hes in the WWF) and with good link up play - something we are missing quite badly , no disresepct to aj its not what his game is about. ashton could be perfect at about 2.5 mil whether we will spend this or he will want to come i dont know.
2. a holding midfielder to protect the back 4 and read the play also with a good range of passing (ivan campo sort of role) - dont know whether we might already have this in leigertwood. huddlestone would have the potential but hes very young and been playing centre back all this season.
3. goal scoring central midfielder, we could even do with 2 of these if we are to persist with 4 5 1 which has been our best formation this season to be fair. euell would get goals and has a physical presence.

id have them as my main priorities then just general improvements of the first team which are always possible such as at left back , if dowie sees halls as a possible improvement on boycie at right back? if scott carsson is going on the cheap he must also be worth a look for a player of the future as the way kiraly is playing he will attract interest from big clubs.

Martin H
22-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
QUALITY not quantity please Dowie.

deleted ....

I would then go for:

Kiraly

Konchesky
Popovic
Hall
Boyce

Gonzalez
Aki
Watson
Routledge

Ashton
AJ

Subs:

Ventola
Kolkka
Hughes
Speroni
Leigertwood

Although I like your signings I really don't think your team will work. Aki and Watson can't hold the midfield at Premiership level. That's why we switched to 4 5 1 in the first place. I still think we badly need a class/quality midfield player as our most important signing. I think this releases Dowie to ring the changes and allows Kolkka and Routledge to become more dangerous players and maybe let Torg or Kav into the team.

Next is the left back position. Ideally we need a good defender who can get forward. I think yor choice of Konchesky is realistic (to be honest I remember his attacking play more than his defending - I am assuming here that he defends better than DG from reputation, but why is drifting from club to club?). Advantage is he can play instead of or with DG.

Then we fix the forward position. With a better midfield and defensive platform I wonder if Ventola/Freedman/Torghelle/Kaviedes may be enough for this year.

The key to me remains that it is not buying a centre forward that allows us to change to 4 4 2. It is building a better midfield!

markholmes1991
22-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
I'd get in Etuhu from Preston for about 300k - add a bit of height and muscle to midfield.

Konchesky from Charlton for 1 mill - pacey attacking fullback.

Berkovic from Portsmouth - 200k - midfield guile.

This Kristiansen chap from Denmark - 750k goalscoring versatile midfielder.

Use the rest on a striker - no idea who though.

Agree with all. I'm a big fan of Etuhu, although I think he only recently signed a new contract. Another Man City boo boo

pauldrulez
22-12-2004, 10:26 AM
I would get rid of
Speroni, Freedman, Granville, Butterfield, Routledge, Lakis, Black and Powell.
Making about 7.5m.
I would then buy
Kily Gonzalez. 1.5m
Nash. 1m
Jansen 1.5m
Ellington 3m
Which Leaves 6m
I would then Buy
Kristiansen for 750k
and then buy
Sorondo and Ventola for a total of 3.0m
Leaving around 2.75m
I would buy a decent left midfielder which can play at the back as well like Julian Gray, and I would buy him back for 1m.
Money started with: 5m
Money gained:7.5m
Money spent: 11.75m
Money left: 1.25m :love:

Palaceboy222
22-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by pauldrulez
I would get rid of
Making about 7.5m.
I would then buy
Kily Gonzalez. 1.5m
Nash. 1m
Jansen 1.5m
Ellington 3m
Which Leaves 6m
I would then Buy
Kristiansen for 750k
and then buy
Sorondo and Ventola for a total of 3.0m
Leaving around 2.75m
I would buy a decent left midfielder which can play at the back as well like Julian Gray, and I would buy him back for 1m.
Money started with: 5m
Money gained:7.5m
Money spent: 11.75m
Money left: 1.25m :love:

Good signing but not a chance in hell that we'll get 7.M out of that lot!!

Speroni - After his recent performances, only a div2 team or Dundee (take him back) would want him and we'd get less than we paid for him!! Which was only 750,000,
Freedman - 500,000 absolute tops off a div 1 team,
Lakis - No one took him on a free so how do you expect to sell him for any cash?
Granville - No more than 200,000 or so off a div1 team
Butterfield - Could raise some cash, but i personally wouldn't sell him
Routledge - 3,000,000 off spurs IF they're still interested, and with his contract up at the end of the season they might want to wait until then now
Black - No one wants him, he's been offered around div 1 at about 250,000 and there have been no takers
Derry - same as black,

markholmes1991
22-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Nash. 1m
Jansen 1.5m

come again?? I know its christmas, but thats just silly.

Brett
22-12-2004, 05:08 PM
I'd give it all to Dave to set-up a Minority Report style special force that will identify a poncy, crap Championship Manager post before it's even been typed; the assailant will either be arrested for crimes against reality or soundly beaten on the spot for being a bit of a div.

Jules
22-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Michael Tonge and Phil Jagielka from Sheff U
Matt Richards from Ipswich

Might get them for a total of 5m

Strathclyde Eagle
22-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Some fanciful figures for players leaving the club. Where's all the money supposed to come from?

The Vicar
22-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Although I like your signings I really don't think your team will work. Aki and Watson can't hold the midfield at Premiership level. That's why we switched to 4 5 1 in the first place. I still think we badly need a class/quality midfield player as our most important signing. I think this releases Dowie to ring the changes and allows Kolkka and Routledge to become more dangerous players and maybe let Torg or Kav into the team.

Next is the left back position. Ideally we need a good defender who can get forward. I think yor choice of Konchesky is realistic (to be honest I remember his attacking play more than his defending - I am assuming here that he defends better than DG from reputation, but why is drifting from club to club?). Advantage is he can play instead of or with DG.

Then we fix the forward position. With a better midfield and defensive platform I wonder if Ventola/Freedman/Torghelle/Kaviedes may be enough for this year.

The key to me remains that it is not buying a centre forward that allows us to change to 4 4 2. It is building a better midfield!

100% on target.

palace & proud
22-12-2004, 05:52 PM

Kily Gonzalez. Left-wing. Would add loads to our team as he would be the only attacking player with a left-foot at the club!

The only thing is we wouldnt be able to afford his wages! He's on to much money a week!:bash:

glaziers fan
22-12-2004, 09:34 PM

When I've watched us play, and since Kiraly came in, I have never thought that we looked like we were going to concede lots of goals.

The problem isn't scoring goals either as although we could score more we've scored enough.

Our problem is very simply that there is no respite for midfield/defence because too many moves break down with just one striker in there.

Watson has never played in a 4-4-2, so how you can say that a partnership of him and Aki or Hughes wouldn't work is debateable to say the least!

The thing also that you need to bear in mind is that even if we would get over-run in midfield, i don't think it's much different to the situation now. How many games have you seen us dominate possession? I can't think of many if any, and that's with a 5 man midfield to win us the ball!

Plus who is the quality midfielder we should sign, who will allow us to suddenly start dominating teams, scoring more goals and conceding less?! Midfielders who make a team tick like Gerrard and Veira are much rarer than a striker who can hold the ball up and score a few goals!!

I think we should play to our strengths and that is Andy Johnson. He needs more support because I think he can do even greater damage.

RickyB
22-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle
That's a good point - maybe a palatial home somewhere else then. Maybe Cyprus?

Volcano due to erupt there soon :moo:

cpfc_spc1982
22-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Jules
Michael Tonge and Phil Jagielka from Sheff U
Matt Richards from Ipswich

Might get them for a total of 5m

bargain !

richards is wank.

hughsaaaay
22-12-2004, 10:55 PM
With there being:
no Premiership chairman who would sell anything to Simon Jordan after his comments.
no player in division 1 who can add the needed quality our main cause for concern - CENTRE MIDFIELD and with scant chance of Ashton joining us.
no chance of a decent foreign player joining us as our scouts seem to be lost in Eastern Europe.

There is one man who can save us now - Shippers

Dowie's choices are:

1) He play the brutal, ball winning, central midfielder.
2) He play the battling, bustling, target man.
3) He joins Kit Symons 'upstairs' and does and helps Kit in whatever it is Kit does

Martin H
22-12-2004, 11:04 PM
When I've watched us play, and since Kiraly came in, I have never thought that we looked like we were going to concede lots of goals.

The problem isn't scoring goals either as although we could score more we've scored enough.

Our problem is very simply that there is no respite for midfield/defence because too many moves break down with just one striker in there.

I understand but your own words make the point I think - we can score, we can defend but we give the ball away too often. It IS the midfield that is giving it away. It is a quality problem which today we are addressing with quantity.

I am not saying 'don't buy a striker' - I agreed with your choices. The point I was making that he could be wasted as the midfield would not be strong enough. Strengthening the midfield IS a key requirement we cannot ignore if we are to play 2 up front.

QUOTE]Originally posted by glaziers fan
Watson has never played in a 4-4-2, so how you can say that a partnership of him and Aki or Hughes wouldn't work is debateable to say the least!
[/QUOTE]

Its an opinion of course - like yours, but it seems a reasonable one that 2 out of the 3 players are less likely to do better than the 3 - particularly when the 3 are struggling. I am guessing ID thinks so too.

QUOTE]Originally posted by glaziers fan

The thing also that you need to bear in mind is that even if we would get over-run in midfield, i don't think it's much different to the situation now. How many games have you seen us dominate possession? I can't think of many if any, and that's with a 5 man midfield to win us the ball!

Plus who is the quality midfielder we should sign, who will allow us to suddenly start dominating teams, scoring more goals and conceding less?! Midfielders who make a team tick like Gerrard and Veira are much rarer than a striker who can hold the ball up and score a few goals!!
[/QUOTE]

But changing the team and still being over-run would be 'not addressing the full problem' would it, and risk wasting the cash and our season - this was the only point I was making I think.

Your last point is always the hardest of course. I don't think we need a Vierra or Gerrard but we do need someone who can hold their own in this division. Ideally it would be loan player with a view to a buy. Carsley is a good example at the moment (forget previous seasons). An old head, that has learnt his trade but not so old to have lost his legs etc. The main criteria is that they exceed the current day contribution of Aki/Watson/Hughes. Getting some in of the sake of it is a dumb idea. To be honest we need a bit of luck and a bit of skill. The latter comes from ID/BD spotting some latent or frustrated talent and getting the deal done. The luck is the player then uses us as a platform and takes a grip of the games. So as I said, who do you think?

This is not meant to be sarcy at all - but you chose good options for the the other positions. Who would you draft into this slot?

Stockport_Eagle
22-12-2004, 11:09 PM
I would get rid of
Making about 7.5m.

:eek: :D

andyocpfc
22-12-2004, 11:32 PM
How about keep faith with the team and hope/pray. Put the money down as deposit for a nice new stadium and tell Noades to get as far away from us a possible. Go on SJ :p

kolinkins
23-12-2004, 12:47 AM
I'll play:

Sidwell (Reading) - 1.5 million
Shorey (Reading) - 1million
Parkin (Swindon) - 750k
Hume (Tranmere) - 750k
Elliot (Hull) - 1million

RDSdaEAGLE
23-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by kolinkins
I'll play:

Parkin (Swindon) - 750k
Hume (Tranmere) - 750k
Elliot (Hull) - 1million

Interesting. The first two are the same I'd go for.

Rather than Parkin, I'd also look at Dave Kitson, who's been tremendous for Reading.

I'd also have a look at a few loan signings from abroad.

There has to be a medium between quantity and quality though. Spending money on quality players doesn't work if you don't have enough players to fill the void when they leave.

cpfc_spc1982
23-12-2004, 08:50 AM
I'll play:

Parkin (Swindon) - 750k
Hume (Tranmere) - 750k
Elliot (Hull) - 1million

i cant see all them lower league ones working.

cpfc_spc1982
23-12-2004, 08:56 AM

also because the service to aj is poor and aj's game isnt about holding the ball up even though it has improved alot.

Lee B
23-12-2004, 09:08 AM
I'll play:

Parkin (Swindon) - 750k
Hume (Tranmere) - 750k
Elliot (Hull) - 1million

Personally, I don't think that any team with a chance of promotion is going ot sell their best players to us in January. Especially Reading as Madje will continue to bankroll them.

Ron Dogers
23-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Joeymaz
I think that Dowie wants a midfielder with the quality to enable him to switch back to 4-4-2

Ah the voice of sense at last!!

The reason we play 4-5-1 is to keep the defence from being over run but we end up giving it away due to the (No digs meant at the current midfield who all give 100%) lack of a quality final ball, if the "One over the top to AJ" has not worked.

They are also not really goalscoring midfielders either hence our lack of goal attempts.

I think Kolks does a sound job given what help he gets, Wayne is mercurial and you either run with him at this stage in his career of not. The middle 3 for me are not up to doing enough creating and defending.
Watson does his best but much as I luv Hughes and Aki, how often to you see them playing a real defence spolitting ball?

Shame as the main players ID tried for, Cahill, Graverson (how is it spelt?) and Carrick would all have been great in there I reckon.

cpfc_spc1982
23-12-2004, 09:13 AM
kallstrom would be an ambitious swoop/investment.

Lee B
23-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Arsenal winger Jermaine Pennant is on his way out of Highbury after being told he will not be offered a new contract. (Daily Mirror)

Couldn't agree more with the fact that we need more quality in midfield, but still can't think of anyone apart from Euell who we might be able to get.

Kallstrom sounds like a good pick if available (but I've not seen him so can't comment further).

Crunchie
23-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
kallstrom would be an ambitious swoop/investment.

I agree with this if Dowie continue with 4-5-1.

He is the type of player that can get up and support AJ when required, and retreat back into the five man midfield when defending.

However if he want to revert 4-4-2 then he would also have to get another quality defensive midfielder and that would be our 5 million spent.

AJ8
23-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Out -

Shipperley - 250k
Freedman - 250k
Derry - 250k
Black - 300k

In -

Gonzalez - Loan
Gabbidon - 1.75m
Ashton - 2.5m
Clement - 500k
Sidwell - 1.5m

Team:

Kiraly
Boycie/Butts
Gabbidon/Sorondo
Hall
Clement
Routledge
Riihilahti
Hughes
Gonzalez
AJ
Ashton

Subs -

Speroni
Popovic
Sidwell
Watson
Andrews

Sussex Eagle
23-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by AJ8
Out -

Shipperley - 250k
Freedman - 250k
Derry - 250k
Black - 300k

How'd you work that out? Admittedly he's the youngest, but TB would be easily the least likely to command a decent fee.

kolinkins
23-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
How'd you work that out? Admittedly he's the youngest, but TB would be easily the least likely to command a decent fee.

Black can leave on a free.

GARYP
26-12-2004, 10:46 AM
koumas has said doesent want 2 move 2 london

Jim Cannon
26-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by AJ8
Out -

Shipperley - 250k
Freedman - 250k
Derry - 250k
Black - 300k

In -

Gonzalez - Loan
Gabbidon - 1.75m
Ashton - 2.5m
Clement - 500k
Sidwell - 1.5m

Players out total = 1, 050,000
Players in = 6,250,000

So you are already 200K over budget and with Ganzalez's wages to consider as well?????