PDA

View Full Version : Richie Byrne of Dunfermline - not signed


honeysuckle
21-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Richie Byrne, the Dunfermline Left Back is being linked with Crystal Palace according to the Dunfermline Post.

http://www.dafc.co.uk/squad/teamdetail.asp?PlayerID=1047

Anyone seen him play. The profile would seem to fit Dowie's prefered options.

eagles #1
21-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Who?

TN16_Eagle
21-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by honeysuckle
Richie Byrne, the Dunfermline Left Back is being linked with Crystal Palace according to the Dunfermline Post.

http://www.dafc.co.uk/squad/teamdetail.asp?PlayerID=1047

Anyone seen him play. The profile would seem to fit Dowie's prefered options.

Who are ya?, who are ya?

But with DG the other option...............

Come and join us, come and join us, come and join us over here!

:D :D :D

SpikeyMatt
21-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Irish roots - Dowie - possibility.

stevek
21-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by SpikeyMatt
Irish roots - Dowie - possibility.

Yes, clearly. Close links between our English born, former Northern Ireland international, manager and some young bloke from the Republic of Ireland. :bash:

El Aguila
21-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by SpikeyMatt
Irish roots - Dowie - possibility.
What - you mean, as in, born in Ireland? I hear Dowie is planning to sign Dave, as well.

TN16_Eagle
21-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila
What - you mean, as in, born in Ireland? I hear Dowie is planning to sign Dave, as well.

Isnt Cascarino Irish? ;)

magician
21-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by TN16_Eagle
Isnt Cascarino Irish? ;)
no! not if you read his autobiography he isn't qualified through his grandmothers husband who wasn't his grandfather!!!!
well done the ice cream man

Great Lombardi
21-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Bit of a jump from rubbish Scottish football to the Premiership. Can't say I'm excited. I know Jon Stead proved you can play among the best when you come from a lower league, but what has he done lately?

SpikeyMatt
21-12-2004, 02:42 PM
I thought relations between Northern Ireland and the Republic were good....:eek: Hence my post.

OK let me rephrase.

Irish roots - Northern Ireland - Dowie - Scouting Network - Possibility....

TN16_Eagle
21-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by magician
no! not if you read his autobiography he isn't qualified through his grandmothers husband who wasn't his grandfather!!!!


No kidding. :bash: ;)

Radders
21-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Profile looks ok. Just have reservations about the jump from Dunfermline to Premier league. Ok, Boyce has just about bridged a similar gap but our signings in the Jan transfer window will not have time to settle in. They need to perform straight away!

cpfc_spc1982
21-12-2004, 02:56 PM
sounds like a centre back anyway.

BVB Bob
21-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Wasn't Dick Byrne a bit of a football specialist in Father Ted? Maybe it's a relation of his? Check if he tries to steal the corner flags.......

Dobbo
21-12-2004, 04:01 PM
My Scottish correspondent opines
"he's absolutely useless"..........

Dave
06-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Dunfermline boss Davie Hay has dismissed suggestions that Crystal Palace have launched a bid for Richie Byrne.

Palace were rumoured to have made an opening bid of 200,000 for the defender, but Hay insists that this is not the case.

"That's news to me," said Hay.

"We've not had any offers in for Richie.

"The only approach we've had about him came from Aberdeen some time ago."

Palace are keen to boost their squad in the transfer window with manager Ian Dowie (pictured) pursuing several players.

The Eagles have been linked to a plethora of players including Dmitri Bulykin and Kily Gonzalez.

Baldy
06-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by BVB Bob
Wasn't Dick Byrne a bit of a football specialist in Father Ted? Maybe it's a relation of his? Check if he tries to steal the corner flags.......

:D :D :D

hernehilleagle
06-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Alrite profile

honeysuckle
06-01-2005, 08:05 PM
The Guardian now reporting we've bid 200K for Byrne.

I checked the Pars Supporters website this evening (under 'Transfer Rumour'). The majority think we could get him for a lot less as Dunfermline are in Administration.

It appears that Byrne is trying to get away so you have to wonder if Dunfermline have put the story into the media to re awaken interest from Aberdeen who tried to get him last year. Am I being too cynical?

cpfc_spc1982
06-01-2005, 09:31 PM
the dunfermline fans seem to think hes useless.

Norvun Mankey
07-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Pars fan at work here says Abderdeen bid 20k only a month or so ago, about what Dumfermline paid fro him from the Irish club he was previously at.

I quote: "200,000 is ridiculous. You could buy the whole Pars team with that kind of money...Probably not even good enough for the Nationwide Division 1"

eagles #1
07-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Oh dear.

Cleon
07-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Norvun Mankey
I quote: "200,000 is ridiculous. You could buy the whole Pars team with that kind of money...Probably not even good enough for the Nationwide Division 1"

Well, Steve Kember did say that Steven Kabba couldn't trap a bag of cement.

paf
07-01-2005, 11:23 AM
the Echo scotland correspnodent had this to say.
What do I know about Byrn? Not much is the answer, those he's just been replaced by Lee Makel. Lee Makel! And Dunfy, God bless the place, is not exactly the Copacabana Academy.
They have a plastic pitch and like many primary school teams, Dunfermline place incredible importance on players who can 'kick the ball a long way'. 70, 80, 90 yard punts down field. And then the other 10 of them, including the goalie, all go haring after the ball, like a bunch of nine-year-olds with jumpers tied round their waists. Heidless chickens to a man. Got knocked out of the UEFA cup prelims to an Icelandic team and supporters complained bitterly that players could be heard at the kick-off shouting ''C'moan, get stuck intae these viking .'' Sorry. But I'm very depressed about state of our fitba at the moment and it's not helped by Daily Record's My Fave Things column wherein Clyde's Stuart Balmer has included ''Bums and boobs.''
In short, you'd be better playing Julian Speroni in out-field.

AndyStreet
07-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by paf
the Echo scotland correspnodent had this to say.
What do I know about Byrn? Not much is the answer, those he's just been replaced by Lee Makel. Lee Makel! And Dunfy, God bless the place, is not exactly the Copacabana Academy.
They have a plastic pitch and like many primary school teams, Dunfermline place incredible importance on players who can 'kick the ball a long way'. 70, 80, 90 yard punts down field. And then the other 10 of them, including the goalie, all go haring after the ball, like a bunch of nine-year-olds with jumpers tied round their waists. Heidless chickens to a man. Got knocked out of the UEFA cup prelims to an Icelandic team and supporters complained bitterly that players could be heard at the kick-off shouting ''C'moan, get stuck intae these viking .'' Sorry. But I'm very depressed about state of our fitba at the moment and it's not helped by Daily Record's My Fave Things column wherein Clyde's Stuart Balmer has included ''Bums and boobs.''
In short, you'd be better playing Julian Speroni in out-field.

PMSL :D

Son of Ron
07-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Great Lombardi
Bit of a jump from rubbish Scottish football to the Premiership. Can't say I'm excited. I know Jon Stead proved you can play among the best when you come from a lower league, but what has he done lately?

agreed - the only player who could have come from Scottish football and done well in the Premier League was Henrik Larsson.

most of the rest of the Celtic and Rangers squads are adequate, but not going to leave those 2 with the guarantee of European football to come to the likes of the lower EPL sides.

anyone outside of those 2 is a total gamble.

btw - the Stuart Balmer mentioned - is that the ex Charlton one ? He must be getting on a bit by now. Fair enough quote of his though !!

Neil the Eagle
07-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Richie Byrne from Dunfermline Athletic. fee undisclosed.

From DAFC Press Release:

"Dunfermline Athletic has accepted a bid from Crystal Palace FC for their Irish U-21 International left back Richie Byrne. In accordance with the club's policy we are not providing details of the exact transfer figure but suffice to say it is more than the 90,000 paid for Richie Byrne from Shamrock Rovers.

Dunfermline Athletic would like to thank Mr. Byrne for the service he has provided this club and wish him all success in the future."

PalaceMonkey
07-01-2005, 01:02 PM
ooh a signing!

although it doesn't say he's agreed terms with us.

Trist
07-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Excellent News!!! Should be good cover/ competition for Danny G.

Neil the Eagle
07-01-2005, 01:03 PM
True. Last para seems to indicate he's left there, though.

PalaceMonkey
07-01-2005, 01:03 PM
indeed it does NTE

SKATE
07-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Good :D

Great Lombardi
07-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Yippeee a left-back from a Scottish side, someone pass me the champagne.

Zohar Returns
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Anyone know if he's any good?

DE - Glad All Over
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Not before time...

Malakite
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Good news for the position, although has anyone actually heard of him, and also why do we never release how much has been paid for a player?

ANDYEAGLE
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Great Lombardi
Yippeee a left-back from a Scottish side, someone pass me the champagne.

And wheres Killy Gonzalez to play in front of him ? He must be coming.

Daddy Long
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
We're saved

;)

eagles #1
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Erm great i suppose. Anyone seen him play? or even heard of him?

Bet Norwich are gutted to have missed out on him ;)

cpfc_spc1982
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Trist
Excellent News!!! Should be good cover/ competition for Danny G.

www.dafc.net

go on their forum have a butchers at what they think of him.

Neil the Eagle
07-01-2005, 01:08 PM
We've signed him according to Dunfermline - sorry didn't see this thread when I posted.

Trist
07-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Norvun Mankey
Pars fan at work here says Abderdeen bid 20k only a month or so ago, about what Dumfermline paid fro him from the Irish club he was previously at.

I quote: "200,000 is ridiculous. You could buy the whole Pars team with that kind of money...Probably not even good enough for the Nationwide Division 1"
.... hope your mates wrong because from the sounds of it we've signed him!

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=2468867#post2468867

paf
07-01-2005, 01:09 PM
take this with a pinch of salt as it;s a gentle piss take, but on the other thread about Byrne, the Echo scotland correspondent had this to say.

What do I know about Byrne? Not much is the answer, those he's just been replaced by Lee Makel. Lee Makel! And Dunfy, God bless the place, is not exactly the Copacabana Academy.
They have a plastic pitch and like many primary school teams, Dunfermline place incredible importance on players who can 'kick the ball a long way'. 70, 80, 90 yard punts down field. And then the other 10 of them, including the goalie, all go haring after the ball, like a bunch of nine-year-olds with jumpers tied round their waists. Heidless chickens to a man. Got knocked out of the UEFA cup prelims to an Icelandic team and supporters complained bitterly that players could be heard at the kick-off shouting ''C'moan, get stuck intae these viking .'' Sorry. But I'm very depressed about state of our fitba at the moment and it's not helped by Daily Record's My Fave Things column wherein Clyde's Stuart Balmer has included ''Bums and boobs.''
In short, you'd be better playing Julian Speroni in out-field.

Bounce back
07-01-2005, 01:10 PM
got to start somewhere more to follow

GUCCI Eagle
07-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Looks like one for the reserves.

ANDYEAGLE
07-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle
Looks like one for the reserves.

Just in time for the big clash at Charlton monday night. Might be worth a trip though.

GUCCI Eagle
07-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Ha ha (Nelson, The Simpsons).

gold76
07-01-2005, 01:14 PM
It's a start, in a position that needs strengthening too. Espicially with both Granville & Borrowdale out of contract at the end of the season.

BW_Palace
07-01-2005, 01:15 PM
I've read a bit of those forums and they're saying they'd take 40k for him!

:(

arussell
07-01-2005, 01:15 PM
So we have four left backs now then ! - not bad I guess.

RDSdaEAGLE
07-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Great Lombardi
Yippeee a left-back from a Scottish side, someone pass me the champagne.

Did you say the same about Emerson Boyce?

palace & proud
07-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Ive Never heard of him-must be quiet good Dowies signing him :rolleyes:

zonin2000
07-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Player nicknames:

Richie Byrne - Rhino becuase his first touch is pash.

That's a bad thing, right?

The Vicar
07-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Norwich sign Ashton, we sign Richie Byrne :D

eagles #1
07-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by palace & proud
Ive Never heard of him-must be quiet good Dowies signing him :rolleyes: He looks quality! :D

LP
07-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by The Vicar
Norwich sign Ashton, we sign Richie Byrne :D

Lets be patient, obviously we want to see some 'bigger' signings, but at the same time I'm all for the club bringing in promising young talent as well. I reckon Borrowdale may be on his way out now though.

ANDYEAGLE
07-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Did you say the same about Emerson Boyce?

Hardly the proven top league player we were looking for ID'S words.

Still will certainly improve our chances of winning the reserve league.

ian_the_eagle
07-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Quotes from the DAFC forum

"i dont believe this one for a moment but the Guardian has Crystal Palace possibly intertested in Richie Byrne. a fee of 200 grand is talked about. would bite their hand off if they offered that! "

"200 grand for Byrne? As much chance of that as there was of Clemente coming to EAst End in the summer.

If any team made an offer of 30 grand I'd take it. "

Oh dear!!:eek: :eek: (and thats Scotland!!)

SKATE
07-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Lets see the lad play half a dozen times before we make any judegment shall we! May get a run out at Sunderland if he signed in time? (He can go straight there from Dumfermline!)

eagle dom
07-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Blimey - give the guy a chance!

Boycie has proved that players can come from modest backgrounds and surprise you.

stushirts
07-01-2005, 01:25 PM
are dunfermline in the scottish premiership ? If so then the player would be a proven premiership player

RDSdaEAGLE
07-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
Hardly the proven top league player we were looking for ID'S words.

Still will certainly improve our chances of winning the reserve league.

Has Dowie written off signing any other players? Didn't think so.

Do we have 3 weeks to sign someone? Yes.

Can we afford to spend millions on individual players? Doubt it.

Will this signing go into the first team? Doubt it.

Will he be someone to look at in the future? Yes.

cpfc_spc1982
07-01-2005, 01:26 PM
also from their website

'Viewed as a future star, and described as being similar to a young Rio Ferdinand, with a tough tackle and strong pace'

similar to rio , is full back his best position then ..

ANDYEAGLE
07-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by SKATE
Lets see the lad play half a dozen times before we make any judegment shall we! May get a run out at Sunderland if he signed in time? (He can go straight there from Dumfermline!)

He may turn out to be fantastic Skate and he will certainly be given a chance maybe not in the first team though. Bit dissapointing when we are apparantly looking for proven players though,hopefully they will come.

eagles #1
07-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by stushirts
are dunfermline in the scottish premiership ? If so then the player would be a proven premiership player :D Scottish premier is the equivalent to our Conference with the exception of Rangers and Celtic.

ian_the_eagle
07-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Everybody is comparing Byrne with Boyce. Yes Boyce came from Div 2 (but is that much of a difference from the Scot prem?!), but Boyce came to us as Luton's player of the season and the fans were sad to see him go. The Dunfermline fans can't wait to see the back of him!

cpfc_spc1982
07-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ian_the_eagle
Everybody is comparing Byrne with Boyce. Yes Boyce came from Div 2 (but is that much of a difference from the Scot prem?!), but Boyce came to us as Luton's player of the season and the fans were sad to see him go. The Dunfermline fans can't wait to see the back of him!

they might have a biased opinion as it would seem he doesnt want to play for the club.

igl
07-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Has Dowie written off signing any other players? Didn't think so.

Do we have 3 weeks to sign someone? Yes.

Can we afford to spend millions on individual players? Doubt it.

Will this signing go into the first team? Doubt it.

Will he be someone to look at in the future? Yes.

We may have 3 weeks in which the window is open, but unfortunately any decent player will be signed up by someone within the next few days. The longer we leave it - the more likely it is to be a panic buy.
I have faith in ID - but it's not blind faith... we need to get things done now, not in two - three weeks time.

Son of Ron
07-01-2005, 01:38 PM
again from DAFC forum

"If we had better players to bring in, or the resources to do so, I would get rid of the following:

Stillie
Byrne
Wilson
Derek Young
Donnelly
Hunt

I'd keep the following:

Skerla
Ross
Labonte
Mason
Darren Young (unless we got a decent offer)
Nicholson (unless we got a decent offer)
Mehmet
Tod"



Byrne

dustyb
07-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Just got this from a Hibs fan here who knows the Scottish scene:-

"He usually plays at left back but can play in the centre of defence. He's got a good tackle and will improve as he's very young.

He is a cracking buy with a good future in front of him - think John O'Shea but with talent!!!!

He's scored a goal as well!!!!"

Trist
07-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by dustyb
Just got this from a Hibs fan here who knows the Scottish scene:-

"He usually plays at left back but can play in the centre of defence. He's got a good tackle and will improve as he's very young.

He is a cracking buy with a good future in front of him - think John O'Shea but with talent!!!!

He's scored a goal as well!!!!"
That's more promising!

Lion
07-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by igl
We may have 3 weeks in which the window is open, but unfortunately any decent player will be signed up by someone within the next few days.


Or that someone may be us. I would "expect" a good signing next week.

Daddy Long
07-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Dowie likes his versatile athletes - see Hall, Boyce and Leigertwood. If he has talent that can be nurtured he may turn out to be a good signing for the future - in this division or the CCC.

Daddy Long
07-01-2005, 01:48 PM
He looks like a young Terry Phelan :)

Joeymaz
07-01-2005, 01:50 PM
We don't need signings for the future!!
We need someone now who is going to go straight into the first team and be an improvement on what we have!!

Great Lombardi
07-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Did you say the same about Emerson Boyce?

No, but then again he played in an ENGLISH league and was very highly regarded. This guy isn't a household name in his own household. He doesn't appear to be rated very highly either. We'll see.

Clapham Grand
07-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Maybe a replacement for DG if he is not offered / doesn't want to sign a new contract

Ruskin Old Boy
07-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Anyone know his squad number? :D

maestro
07-01-2005, 02:18 PM
I find it strange Dowie said somethign like

What we need now are impact players, 3 or so players that will come into the starting 11 and have an immediate impact

So far weve been linked with crap that would struggle to make an impact at all

sydnsteve
07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by maestro
I find it strange Dowie said somethign like

What we need now are impact players, 3 or so players that will come into the starting 11 and have an immediate impact

So far weve been linked with crap that would struggle to make an impact at all

I think it was a misquote, he actually said 'intact' players, after his experiences with Sorondo and Ventola. And apparently Byrne has a very good arms to legs ratio.

trufan
07-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
I think it was a misquote, he actually said 'intact' players, after his experiences with Sorondo and Ventola. And apparently Byrne has a very good arms to legs ratio.


:D

maestro
07-01-2005, 02:26 PM
lol

I dont mean to sound pessimistic but its just that i know how vitally crucial these signings are in the window, it really is make or break for us.

The management have had 2 or 3 months to discuss transfer targets, im certain that they must have better quality players that the likes of Byrne lined up, i can only think that the quality players are taking longer to negotiate

Daddy Long
07-01-2005, 02:28 PM
I still think we'll see the impact players come in. This guy has just been signed as cover and one for the future because we could. Cheap as chips.

BW_Palace
07-01-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm hoping two things:

1) Byrne turns out to be a quality signing in the future.

2) This is being used as a smokescreen for other deals we have in the pipeline.

davematt
07-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by maestro
lol

I dont mean to sound pessimistic but its just that i know how vitally crucial these signings are in the window, it really is make or break for us.

The management have had 2 or 3 months to discuss transfer targets, im certain that they must have better quality players that the likes of Byrne lined up, i can only think that the quality players are taking longer to negotiate

I agree with everything you said there. I can't see how this guy is going to be better than Danny. We really need to buy some quality. This signing should wait until the summer, but now? It dont make sense. Also, does this end the Neil Clement interest?

hernehilleagle
07-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Good news

stevek
07-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
I think it was a misquote, he actually said 'intact' players, after his experiences with Sorondo and Ventola. And apparently Byrne has a very good arms to legs ratio.

ROFL Steve.

However, as a pedant, I have to point out that the 'arms to legs' ratio is not a great measure. A player with one arm and one leg has the same ratio as a player with two arms and two legs.

mojoeagle
07-01-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm trying to keep positive about this, by thinking how much infuence boyce has made to our team.

Simon A
07-01-2005, 02:39 PM
I think the general concensus is that while Byrne may have a future at CPFC, he is not going to play a meaningful part in this years battle to avoid relegation and this is leading to a sense of frustration that Dowie appears to be fiddling while Rome burns.

We will have to be patient for a bit longer to see what is being lined up in the way of 'big guns'.

Chief Brody
07-01-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm beginning to get pessimistic over the "transfer window". :(

Clapham Grand
07-01-2005, 02:51 PM
people are jumping the gun on this

Reps AJ
07-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
people are jumping the gun on this

Does that mean he hasn't actually signed? Or isn't going to sign?

Or do you mean all the people who've written him off before even seeing him play?

Clapham Grand
07-01-2005, 03:45 PM
don't think he has signed - could be wrong though!

bigend1
07-01-2005, 04:21 PM
deffo souns like one for the future. Ok so its not one of the 'big guns' as it were but why because we are looking for immediate impact players does that mean we cant sign players for the future aswell? I doubt very much if dowie has decided to concentrate on signing future player during the transfer window and i seriously doubt this transfer will have any effect on any 'bigger' targets. Dowie has prob been watching him for a while and decided to make a move on a player he feels has potential while the chance is there. Remember just cause its the premiership window dosnt mean we can only sign players that will play straight away.

Psyatika
07-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by SpikeyMatt
I thought relations between Northern Ireland and the Republic were good....:eek: Hence my post.

OK let me rephrase.

Irish roots - Northern Ireland - Dowie - Scouting Network - Possibility....
Let's forget about this and just sign Aaron Hughes then...

Psyatika
07-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Great Lombardi
No, but then again he played in an ENGLISH league and was very highly regarded. This guy isn't a household name in his own household. He doesn't appear to be rated very highly either. We'll see.
Surely the competition Luton Town faces could be compared to that of Dunfermline!

Neil the Eagle
07-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
don't think he has signed - could be wrong though!

Just had a message from the Press Officer at Dunfermline, claims someone has been playing silly buggers at their end.

I think we can take it that this is not yet confirmed.

Sandowneagle
07-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
Just had a message from the Press Officer at Dunfermline, claims someone has been playing silly buggers at their end.

I think we can take it that this is not yet confirmed.

It should be completed by 15 Jan...........2006

zonin2000
07-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
playing silly buggers

:D :lux:

Jules
07-01-2005, 05:18 PM
5 Live was encouraging listeners to text in about times they have seen famous people. Someone texted to say they had just seen Richie Byrne at the Whitehorse Lane Sainsbury's and that they had seen him only the week before playing for Dunfermline.

Described him as an Irish international.

Either an elaborate joke or confirmation that he was at least at Palace this afternoon.

Freddy Kurz
07-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by stushirts
are dunfermline in the scottish premiership ? If so then the player would be a proven premiership player

They came fourth in last season's Scottish Premiership. Byrne made his League debut for Dunfermline in their 1-0 away win v Dundee on 14.2.04* and ended up starting 10 games with 3 sub appearances.
He played for them in the Scottish Cup and scored 1 goal.
Byrne was also in the side which beat Celtic in the League AWAY
2-1 on the 2nd May, 2004, the only other Premiership team apart
from Aberdeen to achieve that feat at Celtic Park in the League
in the whole of 2003/4!
*Interestingly Speroni was playing in goal for Dundee that day.....

Celestial Empire
07-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Then a transfer announced, only to be hastily retracted a couple hours later. Sounding more and more like the Summer.:rolleyes:

Clapham Grand
07-01-2005, 06:16 PM
to be fair Palace didn't announce anything

Hailsham Eagle
07-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace

This is being used as a smokescreen for other deals we have in the pipeline. [/B]

This is what I think. I don't mind being linked with these kind of players it probably distracts others from what we are actually trying to do. I wouldn't really care if we didn't here anything until everything is done and dusted!

I think Dowie got his fingers burnt pre-season and has learnt from those mistakes!

Fingers crossed anyway!! :D

Lion
07-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
to be fair Palace didn't announce anything

Indeed, but a majority of the "fans" will still blame Palace

:rolleyes:

briand
07-01-2005, 07:29 PM
just goes to show you what whispers can do.

Dunfermline Athletic aren't in administration. like a lot of football clubs money is tight.

Richie Byrne is a good player, and given a chance will be a good player. he's still young. I think that due to the financial situation, Richie wanted a longer contract (his is up at the end of the season) but Dunfermline weren't in a position to offer anything at present - so his agent said he wanted away.

we'd like to keep him. and I think the reference to 20K from Aberdeen was our former manager trying to get him on the cheap.

Sussex Eagle
07-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Can't say this one excites me (sounds like another Wayne Andrews to the pessimist in me). I'd be suprised if he turned out to be any better than what we already have at left back. But let's give the lad his chance if he signs.

07-01-2005, 07:58 PM
i dont think we have seen enough of wayne andrews yet and i think he will progress to become a talented young player

cpfc_spc1982
07-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by briand
just goes to show you what whispers can do.

Dunfermline Athletic aren't in administration. like a lot of football clubs money is tight.

Richie Byrne is a good player, and given a chance will be a good player. he's still young. I think that due to the financial situation, Richie wanted a longer contract (his is up at the end of the season) but Dunfermline weren't in a position to offer anything at present - so his agent said he wanted away.

we'd like to keep him. and I think the reference to 20K from Aberdeen was our former manager trying to get him on the cheap.

on your site they they made comparisons with rio , is he a centre back or full back ?
well wheres he best?
is he tall

Frisky
07-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by gull_palace1
i dont think we have seen enough of wayne andrews yet and i think he will progress to become a talented young player

He's already 27 I think he must be close to peak. Not likely to be much more progress.

07-01-2005, 08:09 PM
he has never played in the prem before and when he come on for hid debuet he had loads of pace and looked good on the ball.

Freddy Kurz
08-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by gull_palace1
i dont think we have seen enough of wayne andrews yet and i think he will progress to become a talented young player

You may not have seen enough of this player, but several of us who
watch Palace reserve games regularly have, and the general con-
census of opinion is that whereas he has pace, he has shown
very few other attributes to suggest that he is capable of
holding his own in the Premier League.
At the advanced age for a professional footballer of 27, he
has played only 118 games in League football for Watford,
Cambridge Utd. Peterborough, Oldham and Colchester,
scoring a total of 32 goals. He has so far scored one
goal in five reserve appearances.
As with all Palace players I wish Wayne success, but
would be surprised to see him become a fixture in our
first-team squad.

Dartford Lad
15-01-2005, 02:59 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/4083579.stm

Richie Byrne is joining Aberdeen for 50,000.

Duffle Coat
15-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Thank you Aston Bungalow ! More of the same please.:lux:

Duffle Coat
15-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Apologies, wrong thread.:clown:

honeysuckle
15-01-2005, 06:34 PM
You have to admire the tactics of Dunfermline over this one. They have a player who wants to leave and is linked with Aberdeen. Then he gets injured and the Dons go cold.

His club and agent then over emphasis an interest from another club ie. Crystal Palace. They even go as far as accidentally issuing a press release to several newspapers saying Richie Byrne is about to become a Palace Player. He's even seen in South London.

Guess what! within a week Aberdeen are back in for him. We've been 'kippered' like a proverbial Scottish Herring on this one I would suggest.

The problem is we need a left back and Byrne did seem to fit the template. Someone at the Pars has been very clever

Lords Eagle
15-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Working in Glasgow I asked a number of Scottish Premier supporting fans, and most had not even heard of him, don't suspect we've particularly missed out from what I hear.

paf
27-01-2005, 06:15 PM
he's now signed for Aberdeen