PDA

View Full Version : Interesting on Palace and those around us over xmas, from BBC.co.uk

Palace Please
22-12-2004, 08:42 AM
This season it falls to West Brom to try to reverse a trend that has seen the club bottom of the Premiership on Christmas Day relegated in May every season since the top-flight relaunched.
Even without the knowledge of that horror statistic, Baggies' fans could hardly have been hopeful.

Their side have won once all season, are yet to manage a victory under new boss Bryan Robson and their goal difference of -21 is the worst in the Premiership by some distance.

On the plus side, only five points separate them from 17th-placed Norwich and if they are to make Premiership history, the festive period is likely to prove crucial.

It begins with a tricky home encounter with Liverpool but Robson will be eyeing potential points in successive away fixtures against Manchester City and struggling Bolton.

If things look rather bleak for West Brom, there is reason to cheer for second-from-bottom Southampton.

In 2002, Bolton were in 19th but a win over Newcastle on Boxing Day lifted them out of the bottom three into 17th - where they eventually ended the season.

West Brom
Next three games: Liverpool (h), Man City (a), Bolton (a)
Last three games: Arsenal (h), Man Utd (a), P'smouth (a)
Southampton
Next three: Charlton (h), Liverpool (a), Man City (a)
Last three: Norwich (h), C Palace (a), Man Utd (h)
Crystal Palace
Next three: Portsmouth (h), Tottenham (a), Fulham (a)
Last three: Newcastle (a), Southampton (h), Charlton (a)
And two years earlier, Middlesbrough found themselves perched above bottom spot but a 26 December win over Liverpool inspired them to go on an unbeaten run until February and they finished the season in mid-table.

If history is to repeat itself, Saints' home game against Charlton on Boxing Day looks like a key date as Harry Redknapp attempts to keep them in the Premiership.

And what of those clubs, like Norwich and Crystal Palace, hovering in and around the danger zone?

Managers hoping to keep their club in the Premiership often talk about reaching the 40-point mark - but in reality, they should be setting their sights a little higher.

The average total needed to finish one point above the Premiership relegation zone is in fact 40.75, an unpleasant statistic for West Ham fans whose team famously accrued 42 in 2003 and still went down.

Ominously, neither Palace, on 14 points, nor Norwich, on 15, are even halfway towards that total.

Our next 3 look easier than the others, our last 3 look ok, really fear the last game at Clowntown, are we being set up for something??

Scoot
22-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Palace Please
an unpleasant statistic for West Ham fans whose team famously accrued 42 in 2003 and still went down.

Mmmmm things like this ALWAYS seem to forget that Palace even more famously went down after finishing 4th from bottom with 47/48 points :( :hmph: :sob:

Harry Holmesdale
22-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Scoot
Mmmmm things like this ALWAYS seem to forget that Palace even more famously went down after finishing 4th from bottom with 47/48 points :( :hmph: :sob:

49 !

But there were 42 games that year

Dobbo
22-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Our next 3 look easier than the others, our last 3 look ok, really fear the last game at Clowntown, are we being set up for something?? [/B]
No, victory in our last home game will send Soton down and keep us up :)

Son of Ron
22-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Harry Holmesdale
49 !

But there were 42 games that year

but it was still the highest points per game tally to go down 1.17 per game as opposed to West Ham's 1.11.

However I think as little as 34/35 might be enough this season. I know we're only on 14 after 18 games, but if you discount the first 6 games we've got 13 from 12 since. If we maintain that ratio we'll accrue another 20 points this season and may just scrape to survival !

eaglejez
22-12-2004, 09:29 AM
wasn't it 4th bottom in 1995 and relegated and 49 pts 1993 and relegated ? Two grudges I've been moaning about since

Scroatey
22-12-2004, 10:38 AM
If Southampton do remain in the mire then that game second to last is massive!!! I think West Brom maybe dead and buried by then. I wonder who else will be in with a chance of relegation?

as216
22-12-2004, 11:24 AM
I was looking at an old programme from Boxing Day '89 recently and noticed that at the same stage that season (18 games - and bare in mind there was the same number of teams in the league that season), Manchester City were bottom with 16 points!!

I think the team in third bottom (could have been Millwall) had 19 points - certainly a bit different from this season.

Sunny Fan
22-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Five teams at the moment have less points than matches played, which points to 38 points meaning safety; perhaps 36 will do.

CPFC-DIEHARD
22-12-2004, 12:03 PM

Our next 3 look easier than the others, our last 3 look ok, really fear the last game at Clowntown, are we being set up for something?? Yeh, hopefully revenge!

m355y
22-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Interesting, hadn't realised before how low scoring it is this season at the bottom. If at the moment you've got Blackburn, Norwich, Palace, Southampton and WBA not on target for 40 points then 37-38 might be okay, but really all it takes is for one of those teams to do better in the second half of the season than they did in the first (probably not too difficult for the likes of Blackburn), and they'll pull themselves out, possibly like last year leaving two or three teams stranded on 30-35 points (discounting WBA, who'll struggle to make 20 at this rate)

In that scenario, sadly I can imagine Southampton and Blackburn escaping and leaving the three promoted teams to fill the relegation spots.

Your next three/last three look significantly better than the others around you though. And only a few weeks ago I had you down as staying up comfortably, all it takes is to get on another decent run and you'll be thinking about mid-table rather than 37 or 38 points. But the same could be true of any of the teams around you, minus WBA. Erm, going round in circles now, it's too tight to call.

Palaceboy222
22-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Its going to be tight, but i can see either/both southampton/Blackburn going down

maestro
22-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Weve played all the teams now except tottenham and apart from a couple of games weve been in with a chance of winnign them all, i certainly feel we can do better in the 2nd half.

Dan Dan The Canadian Fan
22-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Stats, stats, stats, blah, blah. It is simply NOT our turn to be relegated, and that's all there is to it! Let someone else have a go at that old chestnut. Leave us alone. Big Premier League bullies!!!

:veryangry