moverman
27-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Alan Shearer?

CreweEagle v.3
27-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Zomora is in the frame aint he?

kolinkins
27-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Says a lot about Freedman, Andress, Ships, Toghelle, Ventola and Kaviedes.

Trolley
27-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by nookiebear

So anyone know who they are?

:)

I.Flyer
27-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Trolley

Not asking you to break a confidence but I would like to know the following. Whoever they are, will they be able to go into the team straight away and perform, without a 3 months settling-in period?

Raoul Duke
27-12-2004, 11:37 AM

:rolleyes:

Hypodam
27-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Time to resurrect the 'Deco' thread I think.

Moonbeam
27-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by I.Flyer
Not asking you to break a confidence but I would like to know the following. Whoever they are, will they be able to go into the team straight away and perform, without a 3 months settling-in period? Nice one. You had me fooled. For a second I thought you seriously thought he knew something. :o

Hang the D J
27-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Duncan Ferguson

nookiebear
27-12-2004, 12:16 PM

:p Course you know...

MikeyDread
27-12-2004, 12:18 PM
The problem is we can't afford anyone who is going to come in and score in double figures before the end of the season to help us keep our Premiership spot. However, definitely would go for an old fashion centre forward with pace the Shearer type would be great but who ?

Dave
27-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Zamora

bern5161
27-12-2004, 12:27 PM
It's not strikers we need. It's a half decent midfielder!!!!!!!

Trolley
27-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by I.Flyer
Whoever they are, will they be able to go into the team straight away and perform, without a 3 months settling-in period? [/B]

Affirmative.

'Mr Dowie' is looking for an immediate impact from his acquisitions.

:p

howard
27-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by MikeyDread
The problem is we can't afford anyone who is going to come in and score in double figures before the end of the season to help us keep our Premiership spot. However, definitely would go for an old fashion centre forward with pace the Shearer type would be great but who ?

We can't afford not to, the cost of relegation?

He would never come but, some one like Savage in mid-field, like him or not, he likes to win & Duncan Fergusson up front helping AJ.

Martin H
27-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Well if Trolley knows, he has been tipping Liverpool player(s).

Just looked at the squad and out of those that might be available and worthwhile I am guessing there is

Smicer (plays up front midfield and on left) and I don't think he is playing lately.

Diao (defensive midfielder but one that can create and join the attack) edge of the squad player that really needs a run in a team to demonstrate if he can play or not.

The advantage of these 2 would be that they would strengthen our midfield. This is the real problem. Strikers may or not be our next problem but first things first.

Smicer would give us some good options. If he can stay fit.

spt1978
27-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Think we will see Harewood here in Jan. There was in interview with him on SSN and he might as well have just said if a prem team comes in for me im off like a shot.

The Vicar
27-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by nookiebear
He's quoted saying on Ceefax this morning
So anyone know who they are?

What we need is 1-2 quality centre mids and a left back.

I hope this means he's already sorted that out, since a striker is lower on the priority list.

macstar
27-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Martin H
Well if Trolley knows, he has been tipping Liverpool player(s).

Just looked at the squad and out of those that might be available and worthwhile I am guessing there is

Smicer (plays up front midfield and on left) and I don't think he is playing lately.

Diao (defensive midfielder but one that can create and join the attack) edge of the squad player that really needs a run in a team to demonstrate if he can play or not.

The advantage of these 2 would be that they would strengthen our midfield. This is the real problem. Strikers may or not be our next problem but first things first.

Smicer would give us some good options. If he can stay fit.

Smicers out for the season.

Teagle
27-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Scoring goals isn't as much a problem as creating them. Two at OT, two at Anfield, we have scored the most goals of all the promoted teams. We've also conceeded the least. When teams come to Selhurst they come to contain and nick a goal, meaning they mark WR and AJ and we're buggered. Away from home we find teams are more open as they're going for the win.
Long story short, AJ can score goals, plenty of them, we need some bugger to create something.

If ID is looking to bring in a striker it indicates a willingness move to 442, just at present he feels we lack a decent partner.

Sussex Eagle
27-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Exclusive 'inside tip' - Notgnille Nahtan, perfect signing, from Uzbekistan, will be a great partner for AJ :moo: ;)

Richwak
27-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Dowie will probably be looking at Zamora, Ashton, Crouch, Ellington, Euell maybe even other players like Marlon Harewood. We will buy a big tough tall player, not unlike Shipps, but one who is slightly more fitter and with a goalscoring edge. But thats only what i think.

Martin H
27-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by macstar
Smicers out for the season.

I am guessing that means he isn't an option then! Ha!

Most of the others are on loan somewhere else or in and out of the team. I am hoping that we don't get that youngster that plays up front for them - is it Mellor or something?

Diao maybe.

Jaffa
27-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Its Mellor btw.

Hypodam
27-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Affirmative.

Well, that rules out Zamora then.

cpfc_spc1982
27-12-2004, 01:57 PM
if the striker is the one from 'merseyside' could be ;

mcfadden .... possibly
ferguson .... still has a role at everton and loves the club
campbell .... was interested in him in the summer
chadwick .... hope not
pongolle .... no chance
mellor .... possibly
hume .... need more height
zola ... hope not

Celestial Empire
27-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Out of all of this, Euell looks the most sensible/possible.

Pity he isn't playing on Merseyside. :rolleyes:

Phil O'Sophical
27-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Dean Ashton?

(And here's a credibility challenge for Trolley.

On the basis that our Dave is a trustworthy guy pm the names of the acquisitions to him on the understanding he won't reveal them. Once we've made the signings Dave can then tell us whether you really knew or not:) )

What?
27-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Or me, I'm trustworthy. I decided not to break the news Butts was starting when I found out on Xmas day. ;)

Gollum
27-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Please remember guys that Trolley is a fictional entity....so corresponding with him is rather akin to talking to Mr Blobby.

Walsh-Palace
27-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Harewood would be a good buy, but we need someone with Premiership skills, if it is only for only this year, until the rest of the Palace strikers get to to speed. I think DUBLIN would be good for us.

GUCCI Eagle
27-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Looks like we're swapping AJ for Mellor + money.

The Vicar
27-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle

Rubbish.

GUCCI Eagle
27-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Why's that then?

I.Flyer
27-12-2004, 06:34 PM

and a lot of good that will do! :hmph:

Absolution
27-12-2004, 06:49 PM
We have a proven goalscorer already in AJ we need someone that can hold up a ball and put in the touches and passes to set up AJ. Also the player needs to be someone with premiership xp even though Ashton would be an amazing buy.

John Hartson is my bet played in the premiership and is the kind of targetman AJ needs even if we can only get him on loan until the end of the season as long as he keeps us up.

Dave
27-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
Its Mellor btw. Is this a poor attempt at a windup?

John Hartson is my bet played in the premiership and is the kind of targetman AJ needs even if we can only get him on loan until the end of the season as long as he keeps us Good call but I thought he was going to Blackburn?

Absolution
27-12-2004, 07:29 PM
I've heard that aswell but he is defiently the type of player will need we don't need flair upfront with AJ we need someone to rough it up with the centrebacks.

Stigma
27-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins

I would say that they haven't been given a decent chance to prove themselves..

Martin H
27-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Mellor is no better than what we have is he?

Bounce back
27-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Dean Ashton is in form and would be a class player to get

palace & proud
27-12-2004, 08:02 PM

We wont sell AJ when the Transfer window open's.Maybe if we go down.

Bobby Zamora i reckon we will get.

Absolution
27-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Dean Ashton has no Premiership experience if we were very lucky he could be our 'John Stead' but really its more likely he would take 2-3 months to settle in fully.

Dave
27-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Mellor is no better than what we have is he?

Probably not. I'd also wager Shipps could beat him over 100 meters

Gooders
27-12-2004, 08:12 PM
In case you haven't noticed, Zamora can't even get in Wet Shams shite team.

mainstandeagle
27-12-2004, 08:16 PM
I would be gutted if Zamora was the striker that Dowie signed. He is pants. End of.

Dave
27-12-2004, 08:20 PM
In case you haven't noticed, Zamora can't even get in Wet Shams shite team. I don't think there is much Zamora advocacy on the forums - people are just reporting what is in the papers.

I'm not sure he is the right player either (I'd rather have Crouch) but if the manager thinks he can do a job for us then you have to show a bit of faith.

limited_edition
27-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Absolution
Dean Ashton has no Premiership experience if we were very lucky he could be our 'John Stead' but really its more likely he would take 2-3 months to settle in fully. While we're in the bottom 3, we can't afford to wait that long.

pallet
27-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Dean Ashton would not take 3 months to settle, also he is miles better than Andrews so whats the problem.The biggest plus about Ashton would be if we do go down, him and AJ would rip up the Championship.

Absolution
27-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
While we're in the bottom 3, we can't afford to wait that long.
Thats my point exactly we got to get someone in that will have a impact upfront right away.

A playmaker with some flair in midfield may be ok to create chances as long as he gets the job down, but thats the last thing we need upfront is a strong targetman who can most importantly work with AJ.

Justin
27-12-2004, 08:28 PM
In the summer I doubt very much any players of Premiership potential had been watched as it really was a last minute prOmotion and I am sure all coaching staff was 100% committed to watching future opponents and helping with training etc at the back end of last season. By the time we were promoted there were no games to view players in ann so as a result we had to suddenly buy new players on the bassi of prior knowledge and no doubt agents videos. Some have worked and some have not.

With the transfer window ID and his team have had 6 months to watch targets, speak to clubs and agents. Hopefully we know exactly who we want and whether they are likely to come to us or not. The fact that we have a chance to stay up may help us as pre-season most pundits would have tipped us to be rock bottom at this stage.

palace & proud
27-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Absolution
Dean Ashton has no Premiership experience

Niether did most of our team before the start of the season!

limited_edition
27-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by palace & proud
Niether did most of our team before the start of the season! Yeah, and look where that's got us.

palace & proud
27-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Yeah, and look where that's got us.

Dont get me wrong i Agree :p

It either spend money in Jan on players with some expereince and have a bit of a chance to stay up or just struggle most of the season and get relegated! :bash:

CreweEagle v.3
27-12-2004, 09:44 PM
I thought Dean Ashton (or Crewe) had turned us down once, he is a fair player in a shite team, he and they are going through a good spell at the moment but it won't last it never does. He can be lazy too my guess he will be out of his depth in the premiership for a while but it won't stop someone buying him. Everton are favourite at the moment I believe.

Dillenger
27-12-2004, 10:13 PM
if jordan is serious about keeping us up, then 3M for nathan ellington would be money well spent.

he's strong, fast, good in the air, can play target-man role, creates and scores goals. always said he had the potential to be the complete striker, looks like he's showing it.

i reckon a him and AJ partnership would be ******** marvellous.

limited_edition
27-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger
if jordan is serious about keeping us up, then 3M for nathan ellington would be money well spent.

i reckon a him and AJ partnership would be ******** marvellous. 3m is a real gamble for someone with no Premiership experience. Earnshaw cost that and he's not pulling up any trees. And he's had a fair bit of international experience with Wales.

ROCK'N'ROLL
27-12-2004, 10:24 PM

he's strong, fast, good in the air, can play target-man role, creates and scores goals. always said he had the potential to be the complete striker, looks like he's showing it.

I agree with all this, except for the price tag.

I reckon he'll be quite a bit pricier than 3m.

Dillenger
27-12-2004, 10:30 PM
apparantly he's got a 3M release clause in his contract

Tripod 10
27-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Ashton is a must(IMHO).Zamora is an absolute MUST NOT.Ellington would be superb but I feel he is out of reach and he will definately be in the Premiership next year with Wigan anyway.

Dillenger
27-12-2004, 10:39 PM
would be very strange signing zamora. on the one hand funny as f*ck as there'd be tears before bedtime in brighton, on the other he's over-rated and only ever scored goals in the lower leages in a side built around him. dont think the fans would ever take to him either.

GreatGonzo
27-12-2004, 10:39 PM
I have heard a double swoop at West Ham and both Zamora and Harewood will be at Palace early in January.

Personally i think Ashton is the best option but can see him going to someone like spurs for the money rather than looking at his career!

palace & proud
27-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
I have heard a double swoop at West Ham and both Zamora and Harewood will be at Palace early in January.

I cant seeing us get both.

daz_eagle
27-12-2004, 11:26 PM
i think harewood and aj would actually be a pretty dangerous front two.

kolinkins
27-12-2004, 11:34 PM
apparantly he's got a 3M release clause in his contract

They signed him for 2.5million. They wouldnt have a 3million release clause.

Absolution
27-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Wigan are most likely going to get promoted so Ellington won't abandon his club in January. Harewood looks to me as the better bet if ID goes for one of the two. Whenever i've seen him play he seems to be wasted of right midfield so he might want a Striker role again instead of staying at a team that isn't a sure bet for promotion. Even against us in the playoff final he was wasted on right mid eventhough he was the 2nd top goalscorer behind AJ (and personally the one I was worried about) at the time.

Jimbo ?
27-12-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Bounce back
Dean Ashton is in form and would be a class player to get

Is certainly my choice - wouldnt mind if we didnt get anyone else if we got him! he could be brilliant

cpfc_spc1982
28-12-2004, 12:02 AM
ashton would be perfect - tall and strong , good with both feet , a goal scorer and a very clever footballer.

Celestial Empire
28-12-2004, 02:42 AM

Not too sure about that.
In the Wigan v Ipswich game (i.e. against currently the best team in the Championship), Roberts did nothing, and Ellington was sort of aimless. The best thing about Wigan was their midfield.
On the other hand, Ashton plays with a pretty mediocre midfield.

PalaceFan in Alabama
28-12-2004, 05:05 AM

Goodness me Trolls, that really surprises me, I would expect him to give any new player at least a year :rolleyes:

Palaceboy222
28-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Ashton or harewood would be great but we also need a midfielder

nookiebear
28-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo

Personally i think Ashton is the best option but can see him going to someone like spurs for the money rather than looking at his career!

Can personally see this happening

zonin2000
28-12-2004, 09:49 AM
They signed him for 2.5million.

I don't believe that- they signed him from Birzzle Rovers! More like 1m no?

zonin2000
28-12-2004, 09:50 AM
(From their official site)

Wigan's record signing at 1.2million from Bristol Rovers. The 'Duke' was signed on transfer deadline day in March 2002 and is seen as a young striker with huge potential.

zonin2000
28-12-2004, 09:53 AM
I too can see Gonzo's tip happening (not that I know anything, I just think that this is within the realms of possibility). And I would also agree that either Ashton or Ellington would be fantastic signings, although bigger clubs are said to be eyeing Ashton up, whereas Ellington would probably decide against joining us given Wigan's current league position.

Trolley
28-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000
(From their official site)

Wigan's record signing at 1.2million from Bristol Rovers. The 'Duke' was signed on transfer deadline day in March 2002 and is seen as a young striker with huge potential.

'The Duke' was actually a schoolboy 'High Jump' Champion.

Duffle Coat
28-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Everyone saying no to Zamora needs a reality check. He has a track record of goal scoring. Alright so Spurs wasn't his cup of tea or West Ham either. I think he is to be commended for finding it hard to fit in either of those set ups. With Palace, Zamora will be given a different role. He won't be a playmaker just a target man. That's his strength. As for the Seaweed connection, that's just childish beyond belief. Are people seriously saying that if Zamora scores the goal to keep us in the Premiership, we will boo ? Think not.

cpfc_spc1982
28-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Duffle Coat
Everyone saying no to Zamora needs a reality check. He has a track record of goal scoring. Alright so Spurs wasn't his cup of tea or West Ham either. I think he is to be commended for finding it hard to fit in either of those set ups. With Palace, Zamora will be given a different role. He won't be a playmaker just a target man. That's his strength. As for the Seaweed connection, that's just childish beyond belief. Are people seriously saying that if Zamora scores the goal to keep us in the Premiership, we will boo ? Think not.

a poor excuse for a target man .... cant argue with his goal scoring record from the then division 2 though.

Randomly Random
28-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Midfield! Midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield! MIDFIELD!! This is where we should be looking to strenghten. Against Pompey our midfield appeared to disappear at times!

Trolley
28-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Randomly Random
Midfield! Midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield! MIDFIELD!! This is where we should be looking to strenghten. Against Pompey our midfield appeared to disappear at times!

I can assure one and all that 'Mr Dowie' has had some 'Targets' in this area of the field of play.

;)

Dillenger
28-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000
whereas Ellington would probably decide against joining us given Wigan's current league position.

dunno how much difference it makes, but he's from south london originally, so might want a return from the frozen north.

Braders
28-12-2004, 11:21 AM
I can assure one and all that 'Mr Dowie' has had some 'Targets' in this area of the field of play.

;)

Trolley,would you care to enlighten us please.....i know you're keeping quiet about the laddie from Merseyside.Does the same apply to these midfielders?

Trolley
28-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Braders
Trolley,would you care to enlighten us please.....i know you're keeping quiet about the laddie from Merseyside.Does the same apply to these midfielders?

Affirmative.

In any event, 'Targets' sometimes do NOT equate to actual purchases.

Braders
28-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Affirmative.

Thought so........anyway good to know ID has "Targets" in the right areas of the team, which badly needs strengthening.:p

pedro
28-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Affirmative.

Especially where we are concerned ! :sob:

Tommy Pickle
28-12-2004, 11:41 AM
A far as strikers go, I think Zamora is the most likely signing. We should be able to pick him up quite cheaply.

Trolley
28-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by pedro
Especially where we are concerned ! :sob:

Such a situation is perhaps the actualite at every club.

On a similar 'vein', certainly Mr Jordan's managerial target prior to appointing 'Dowie' did NOT come to fruition.
Step forward 'Stan Ternent'.

AJ
28-12-2004, 11:49 AM
I did read that Soton were prepared to let Beattie go....

Tommy Pickle
28-12-2004, 11:52 AM

Which we, as Palace fans, are more than aware of. Although speculation is rife, I think it is encouraging that only a few names are being thrown around, and only very few are realistic targets. Trolley, there's no need for your 'I know something you don't know' attitude, but you are right to keep quiet when it comes to names. That way we might actually get some of those 'bodies over the line'

Braders
28-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Such a situation is perhaps the actualite at every club.

On a similar 'vein', certainly Mr Jordan's managerial target prior to appointing 'Dowie' did NOT come to fruition.
Step forward 'Stan Ternent'.

Thank God.:eek:

Braders
28-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Pickle
Which we, as Palace fans, are more than aware of. Although speculation is rife, I think it is encouraging that only a few names are being thrown around, and only very few are realistic targets. Trolley, there's no need for your 'I know something you don't know' attitude, but you are right to keep quiet when it comes to names. That way we might actually get some of those 'bodies over the line'

Well said TP.

Clapham Grand
28-12-2004, 12:03 PM
There is no way Ashton would join us

Justy C
28-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
There is no way Ashton would join us

If true thats very disappointing, I think he has a big future. Why do you say that CG? Is it because he is hoping for a bigger club or because he would want to stay in the north west?

Trolley
28-12-2004, 12:08 PM
That way we might actually get some of those 'bodies over the line'

My body would be "Over the line" - the 'Firing Line' (!) if I was somewhat more 'Generous' with the information I divulge on the 'Good Ship BBS'.

:p ;)

The Vicar
28-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Duffle Coat

exactly right...let's hope Palace supporters start to come around to this point of view.

Dillenger
28-12-2004, 01:49 PM
zamora was prolific in the old div 2 and 3 in a side built around him. since then he's been largely sh*te.

at 500k why not, anything above that i'd have to question. dunno how he'd feel about playing for a side who's fans have given him constant abuse at any club he's played for either. still, would be funny how to see how upset the 'weed would be about it all.

Absolution
28-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Zamora was a big fish in a small pond for Brighton in the lower leagues and yeah give him credit he got them the goals to get promoted into Division 1 but he couldn't really break that league...

Since going into the Premiership he seems to think hes god's gift to football he even said he would be more successful at West Ham than Defoe! He would be a useless signing and lets hope ID never even considers it.

honeysuckle
28-12-2004, 02:18 PM
It would make some sort of sense if Zamora was being touted. If he is available he'd add something to the squad that we haven't currently got. It could mean Dougie going in the opposite direction I fear.

Celestial Empire
28-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
If true thats very disappointing, I think he has a big future. Why do you say that CG? Is it because he is hoping for a bigger club or because he would want to stay in the north west?

Didn't ID say quite recently that he would love to have Ashton, but that he wouldn't come ?

I think the Zamora rumours are coming from West Ham - he's not good enough for "big clubs" like Spurs and West Ham, so lets offload him to Palace :rolleyes: Would be a typical West Ham attitude.

Spender
28-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by spt1978
Think we will see Harewood here in Jan. There was in interview with him on SSN and he might as well have just said if a prem team comes in for me im off like a shot.

Love to see him and AJ upfront ahead of a new creative midfielder.

WHam fan I know says Harewood attitude on pitch does not endear him to fans but ID could sort that one.

Spender
28-12-2004, 02:59 PM
I would love to see Harewood and Reo Coker join us in a double swoop. WHam need the money and I can certainly see ID revisiting those players as he was interested in them in the Summer

Ardent Eagle Forever
28-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Kolinkins is right, there are players in the squad who haven't been given a decent run out this season. The likes of Shipps etc should be given a run.

Remember who scored the goal that got us up????

Phil O'Sophical
28-12-2004, 03:54 PM
A far as strikers go, I think Zamora is the most likely signing. We should be able to pick him up quite cheaply.

Or even worse Pardew would probably offer a straight swap for Dazza whom he wants. I'd rather keep Dazza.

joe walker
28-12-2004, 04:07 PM
i got an idea.......

1) proven goalscorer
2) cheap

ladies and gentleman, i give you..

PAUL FURLONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

erm, anyone?

:lux: 300th Post:lux:

Sick Bucket
28-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Dowie up front with AJ ?

Clapham Grand
28-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Justy C

both:sob:

Everton most likely to buy him

Ron Dogers
29-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Don't know about new strikers, best to get Toggs some new studs as he really has a problem staying upright on English grass!!!

markholmes1991
29-12-2004, 10:25 AM
From a good source, Calvin Zola is a distinct possibility. :(

PalaceMonkey
29-12-2004, 10:31 AM
who's calvin zola? I'm not familiar with him..

cpfc_spc1982
29-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
who's calvin zola? I'm not familiar with him..

big wally at tranmere , dowie took him onloan at oldham when he was then with newcastle.

Tommy Pickle
29-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by markholmes1991

mmm interesting. Thanks for info. Never seen him play. Heard he is a bit gangly.

BW_Palace
29-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Please no... :(

Chris K
29-12-2004, 01:35 PM
nathan ellington, always said he had the potential to be the complete striker,

My word haven't you :rolleyes: ;)

Falco
29-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace
Please no... :(

... just what we don't need is Wayne Andrews mark 2. We need a striker with at least a fighting chance of making the grade at premier level.

Braders
29-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by markholmes1991

Gianfranco Zola would have been better............perhaps not.:D

KennyB
29-12-2004, 02:31 PM
I'd like to think that we aren't going down the "getting an old'un just to keep us up" path.

That was Palace of old. We don't want an ageing (e.g. Sheringham, Shearer etc) fading superstar, just to see us to the end of the season.

We want to build, and that takes time, time that we might not have, I appreciate. But build we must.

Getting a midfielder would mean we could afford to go 4-4-2, because we wouldn't need all 5 in midfield.

Then we'd see some more attacking football, more flair.

BW_Palace
29-12-2004, 03:48 PM
How about Wesley Sonck?

Unsettled at Ajax and is a great player. Gladbach are interested in him, so I can't see why he wouldn't come to us (Premiership!)

Money would be a problem though.

davematt
29-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace
How about Wesley Sonck?

Unsettled at Ajax and is a great player. Gladbach are interested in him, so I can't see why he wouldn't come to us (Premiership!)

Money would be a problem though.

I love your optimism BW, and he would be a great signing, but it has no chance of happening :(

dave_who_ru
29-12-2004, 04:17 PM
We need someone English or at least someone who has played football in this country for the past 3 or 4 years. As another poster said before we need someone who is 'already up and running'.

Sussex Eagle
29-12-2004, 04:22 PM
If the 3 million release clause for Ellington is true, we'd be mad not to go for him. He is the absolute perfect partner for AJ, and would be a better signing than Ashton, who we have no chance of getting anyway.

Thin on Top
29-12-2004, 04:40 PM
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Stuart Elliott, from Hull City.

He's a left midfielder, and top scorer in Div1.

He's also a devout christian, and teetotal. Peter Taylor has already said he would be amazed if a prem/champ side didn't come in for him very soon, as he's the "complete player".

cpfc_spc1982
29-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Thin on Top
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Stuart Elliott, from Hull City.

He's a left midfielder, and top scorer in Div1.

He's also a devout christian, and teetotal. Peter Taylor has already said he would be amazed if a prem/champ side didn't come in for him very soon, as he's the "complete player".

there is a thread on him.

Feather
29-12-2004, 04:43 PM
CLUBS FORCED TO WAIT TO FIELD NEW SIGNINGS
The Premier League have announced clubs will not be allowed to
field players bought in the transfer window until January 5.
Although players can be officially bought and sold from New Year's
Day, the registration and administration process means clubs can not
field new acquisitions in the Barclays Premiership on January 1 or
the next full programme two days later on Monday, January 3.
Southampton and Fulham will be the first clubs able to showcase any
newly-acquired talent when they meet at St Mary's on Wednesday next
week (January 5).

BW_Palace
29-12-2004, 04:44 PM
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97680

;)

Calder2
29-12-2004, 08:05 PM

Please don't start me on my opinion of our strikers apart from AJ. Freedman, great servant but not Prem quality. Ditto for Shipps, and thanks for the goal at Cardiff. Kaviedes an enigma and a waste of time, and Ventola aka Anderton i.e. always injured. I assume you are not referring to Ursula Andress but Wayne Andrews who reminds me of Akinbiyi, although unlike that useless headless chicken, he did not cost us any money, and who knows his raw talent, may come good (although I doubt it). We need Prem quality strikers now to take the burden off the magnificent AJ.

Calder2
29-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Zamora

Useless w****r. A complete and utter waste of money. For f***s sake, he cannot even get in the crap West Ham team; that shows you how bad he is.

This comment should be attributed to Nomad not Calder2.

Lee B
30-12-2004, 09:57 AM
From the BBC website:

Meanwhile, Everton will not offer Duncan Ferguson a new contract in the summer after the striker was sent off against Charlton. (Various)

It certainly squares with what Trolley had to say, can't see him being tempted down south mind.

Ron Dogers
30-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Lee B
From the BBC website:

Meanwhile, Everton will not offer Duncan Ferguson a new contract in the summer after the striker was sent off against Charlton. (Various)

It certainly squares with what Trolley had to say, can't see him being tempted down south mind.

Small question over the 30k p/w he is said to be on as well???

Falco
30-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Ron Dogers
Small question over the 30k p/w he is said to be on as well???

If Everton release him on a free, then the 30K p/w wouldn't be a problem if put in the form of a signing on fee. If we are to go for ageing players, I for one think we can do worse than take a chance on Ferguson. On his day (rare that they may be) he is unplayable, and he seems to be less injury prone this season. (we were of course originally linked to him under Coppell before he joined Glasgow Rangers!)

JJO
30-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Druncken seems like quite a disruptive influence. He may be a fighter and has lots of spirit, but has the tendency of getting sent off and being unprofessional. Not necessarily what the team needs.

cpfcben
30-12-2004, 04:35 PM
OH AND HE CAN HARDLY RUN AND IS INJURY PRONE. JUST WHAT WE NEED!

timmy heald
30-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Ardent Eagle Forever
Kolinkins is right, there are players in the squad who haven't been given a decent run out this season. The likes of Shipps etc should be given a run.

Remember who scored the goal that got us up????

That's exactly what i said to him 20 minutes ago in Selfridges whilst he was shopping!! Thanked him for Cardiff and said that I hope he gets back into the team this season. And he looked quite slim :p