PDA

View Full Version : so what 'impact players are there then'

Martin H
27-12-2004, 02:04 PM
We need the elastoplast type of player don't we. Not the long term prospect but the type of player that can arrive and drop straight into the team and make a difference. Even if this is only for half a season.

There have never been many of these - not a surprise I guess. So don't judge them on any cirteria than can they make a positive impact up until May/June. They tend to be older and very experienced with good technical skills. The other type of player is the unseen workhorse (Carsley and McCann epitomise this for me).

SHERINGHAM - is probably the best example ever. I don't think he has ever failed to make an impact at a club he has been to. To be honest I would risk taking him off West Ham now on that basis alone. Can sit in the hole or up front. Will score with his head or from deadballs and will bring players into the game. Might be extractable for one last shot?

BERKOVIC - tends to arrive, play out of his skin and then disappear into the background until his next move. Might just about last 6 months. Would play in the attacking mid role. Probably available.

DICKOV - one of those you hate unless he plays for you but always performs. Not available as far as I can see.

ZOLA - guaranteed to make an instant impact but can't see how we could bring him in as he is having a ball 'back home'. But what a player!

HARTSON - Again one of those that consistently does the business upon arrival. But for how long? Who cares - 6 months is all we need. Probably not available 'for us'.

PETIT - I have added him as he is often mentioned but I am not usre he has had an impact wherever he has gone.

So who else is there and are they realistic targets? Splashing cash for 6 months is probably a safe bet. The key is who and what position?

What ageing foreign international midfielders are there that would bite our hand off for Premier exposure/chance while stabilising our beloved team?

Eaglesmad1
27-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Rivaldo?

Martin H
27-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Eaglesmad1
Rivaldo?

I guess he fits that bill doesn't he.

What?
27-12-2004, 02:33 PM
We need to go back for Kily Gonzalez, I think he would be better than any of the names mentioned, although to see Zola play for Palace would be amazing.

MikeyDread
27-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Les Ferdinand if not injured

Kevan Woz Awful
27-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Rob Savage or Michael Brown - Get some real bite and ability in midfield.

If all else fails, Michael Tonge.

Brain Deane or Les Ferdinand up front although Ships can probably do an equal job and the sooner we reunite him with AJ to find out if I'm right the better as far as I'm concerned.

KevTheOptimist
27-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Love to get Joe Cole on loan for 6 months

BW_Palace
27-12-2004, 03:01 PM
I think Zola wants to finish his career this season in Italy.

No chance for Savage.

And Jol seems to like Michael Brown and he scored this weekend.

Martin H
27-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Dublin is probably another good example of someone that will come in and do a specific short term job. Mentioned on another thread.

Again to be clear this thread is just about 'known quantities' - folk that will come in and do a short term job - making an impact. It's not about good buys or future potential.

There aren't many certainties in life - but we need one and it is worth a lump sum for the right player for 6 months. Bit like making a calculated bet.

Clapham Grand
27-12-2004, 03:32 PM
it's a tough one that's for sure - Gonzales would be my preference

Daddy Long
27-12-2004, 04:11 PM
We need some goalscoring and creativity from midfield. Lets be realistic - we are unlikely to attract another Lombardo. I would suggest Berkovic or Brian Hughes (Clown) as cheap, creative, goalscoring options who we would have half a chance of getting.

TN16_Eagle
27-12-2004, 04:27 PM
My choices are Savage and Sheringham.

Unfortunately there's very litle chance of either of them.

mojoeagle
27-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Paulo di canio? till end of season. Genious on the ball

palace & proud
27-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by mojoeagle
Paulo di canio? till end of season. Genious on the ball

I did hear a rumour about him coming till the end of the season,But its proberly not true.

mapcontractor
27-12-2004, 07:15 PM
mullins? Only on the bench for last 2 hammers games!!!

What?
27-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by mapcontractor
mullins? Only on the bench for last 2 hammers games!!!

And what does that tell you?

Dave
27-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
We need some goalscoring and creativity from midfield. Lets be realistic - we are unlikely to attract another Lombardo. I would suggest Berkovic or Brian Hughes (Clown) as cheap, creative, goalscoring options who we would have half a chance of getting. I'd rather not get another point than bring in dross like that.

The bottom line for me is that we can't pay enough to get class players to get us out of the bottom three, there is no point whatsover in bringing in journeymen for 5 months then try and ship them out again in May.

Martin H
27-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Dave
there is no point whatsover in bringing in journeymen for 5 months then try and ship them out again in May.

No need to put them on 5 yr contracts. Short term deals. Max 1 year but lump sum payments. We are talking about the football equivalent of 'interim managers'.

Out of all of these I would favour Sheringham. Maybe not last August but now I think he could do a 6 month job for us.

I am not sure we are completely doomed yet Dave. If we were adrfit at the bottom by 6-10 points maybe we shouldn't bother but the right deal could make a difference.

davematt
27-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by palace & proud
I did hear a rumour about him coming till the end of the season,But its proberly not true.

watch this space....;)

Dave
27-12-2004, 08:17 PM
I am not sure we are completely doomed yet Dave. If we were adrfit at the bottom by 6-10 points maybe we shouldn't bother but the right deal could make a difference.
I agree we aren't doomed quite yet but if we bring in journeymen or older players then I think this will have a detrimental effect on the players and we could indeed be 6-10 adrift of safety in short order.

We need quality and leaders on the pitch but we won't pay top dollar and we won't pay agents.

m355y
28-12-2004, 01:33 AM
I think you're spot on with those players. Wolves last season looked like a reborn team after January with Carl Cort and Vio Ganea up front. Okay, it only worked short term, but it immediately pushed a team rock bottom of the league and down and out into a position where they could fight for survival right to the end of the year.

They fell short, but you're actually in a much better position right now, so getting in 'impact players' could well see you safe.

best examples?

Di Canio and Sheringham are probably perfect examples. They have such a vast level of experience that they can slot into any team and do the business straight away. Players with a lot of premiership experience are probably vital, you signed overeas talent who'd never seen the premiership in Kaviedes, Ventola and Torghelle in the summer and whatever the reasons for it, none of them have contributed much to your season. I'd imagine Dowie has learned from that.

Berkovic and Gonzalez would probably be perfect too. Whoever you get, I'm looking forward to finding out because Palace signings are always unexpected and interesting.

KevTheOptimist
30-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Lee Bowyer would be an impact player at any lower league club

Brett
30-12-2004, 01:09 AM
We've already got impact players but they aren't feckin used (although it depends on whether you're referring to impact on individual games, individual moments of impact every week or impact on the club's season following an incoming transfer).

daz_eagle
30-12-2004, 01:20 AM
sheringham? leave it out. he's been past it for a long time.

Martin H
30-12-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Brett
or impact on the club's season following an incoming transfer).

It's that impact I meant. What safe bets are there around, understanding that they may come at cost and be very short term in nature. Hence why Sheringham becomes a candidate whereas normally he wouldn't be for me.

crystaljim
30-12-2004, 03:40 AM
Berkovic or Gonzalez would do the business, but i have to agree with Brett. Don't we already have so-called impact players that aren't being used? Wasn't Kaviedes bought in for this very same purpose?

Martin H
30-12-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by crystaljim
Berkovic or Gonzalez would do the business, but i have to agree with Brett. Don't we already have so-called impact players that aren't being used? Wasn't Kaviedes bought in for this very same purpose?

Different issue really. See my last post.

Kaviedes was surely a gamble with no certainty at all but relatively low financial risk.