PDA

View Full Version : Etherington and Reo Coker

cpfc_spc1982
28-12-2004, 09:04 AM
FOOTBALL: BLUE MAT Birmingham target Hammers winger as boss Pardew faces more sell-offs

John Cross

WEST HAM boss Alan Pardew's future at Upton Park could be left hanging by a thread if they gamble away their promotion chances by selling two more of their prize assets during the January transfer window.

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce is monitoring Hammers winger Matthew Etherington.

And there is also interest from several Premiership clubs in midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker.

That would put Pardew on collision course with the West Ham board if they decide to cash in on the two England Under-21 internationals - and cast further doubt over his future at the club.

Pardew has already been under pressure from fans, even though their 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest on Boxing Day kept them in the play-off places. Pardew, who took charge 14 months ago, has already been forced to make big-money sales - losing England striker Jermain Defoe during last January's transfer window and then Michael Carrick, also to Tottenham, last summer for 2million.

But West Ham fans still expected Pardew to have kept the club pushing for an automatic promotion place and this season's inconsistent form has already left him fighting for his job.

Former Southampton and Coventry boss Gordon Strachan has been linked with the Upton Park post should Pardew get the sack, and even more sales during the new year would turn up the heat further on the former Reading chief.

Being forced to sell Etherington and Reo-Coker would be a serious blow. They are also likely to cash in on out-of-favour striker Bobby Zamora who is surplus to requirements and wanted by Crystal Palace.

Palace boss Iain Dowie is also understood to be keen on former Wimbledon midfielder Reo-Coker, who has been one of the Hammers best players this season.

Tottenham and Charlton are also monitoring his progress.

Birmingham have been tracking former Spurs winger Etherington, a makeweight in the 3million deal which took Fredi Kanoute to White Hart Lane 18 months ago.

Blues boss Bruce wants a new winger after his 3m summer signing from Chelsea, Danish winger Jesper Gronkjaer, flopped.

Pardew, though, would be furious if he was again forced to sell his best players.

It would also further anger the West Ham fans who have never forgiven the board for selling the likes of Defoe, Carrick, Glen Johnson and Joe Cole after being relegated from the Premiership 18 months ago.

bunghole
28-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Oh FFS, not Reo-Coker AGAIN. :rolleyes: :bash:

Isle of Wight
28-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Zamora NOooooooooooooo

Palaceboy222
28-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Doesnt look like we have much chance of getting Matthew Etherington :(

Please NO Zamora and not botherd about N RC

Raoul Duke
28-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Reo Coker may want to join us this time as he is best mates with Leigertwood. The link is probably very tenuous but I wonder how much Reo Coker would cost.

OneSize
28-12-2004, 11:10 AM
i would guess reo-coker wouldnt cost more than 1.5, probably less.

Braders
28-12-2004, 11:26 AM
I think these 2 would be very good signings,if these rumours are true.

Tommy Pickle
28-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Id be happy with both signings too Braders.

AJ
28-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Put is this way, Zamora was good at Brighton, then crap at Spurs and Wet Sham, so, by the law of averages, he should do well at his next club. We have to remember that Pardew is not exactly a gifted Manager and Dowie may be able to turn Zamora into a decent player....or not..

Webb
28-12-2004, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't mind Etherington or Reo Coker, but I'll have my doubts about Zamora.

Clapham Grand
28-12-2004, 12:07 PM
I just cannot see Zamora makingthe immediate impact that we need, and if he doesn't you just know the boo-boys will rip him apart - and that won't help at all

Justy C
28-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Would be happy if both Etherington and Reo-Coker joined us...and even happier if they threw Harewood into any deal.

The Vicar
28-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Braders
I think these 2 would be very good signings,if these rumours are true.

I agree.

Jules
28-12-2004, 12:34 PM
Interesting if Bruce is interested in Etherington. Might mean Julian Gray isn't settling in as well as we first heard.

I, for one, would be happy to have JG back. I'd also be prepared to take a chance on Zamora, as I think he is a better bet than a continental forward, whose fitness & motivation may be in question.

kolinkins
28-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
I just cannot see Zamora makingthe immediate impact that we need, and if he doesn't you just know the boo-boys will rip him apart - and that won't help at all

Even if he does OK, there are section of our "support" that will be waiting to rip him to shreads. You just have to look at how Gray and now Routledge are treated to have an idea of what will happen.

Reo Coker could be a very good addition though.

Steve in Phoenix
28-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Why on earth do B'ham want Etherington when they already have Gray and Lazaridis?

The Vicar
28-12-2004, 12:56 PM
This will surprise a few, but I think we would give ourselves a fighting chance to survive with the following, very realistic and cut rate acquisitions:

-- Zamora
-- Mullins or Reo Coker (I'd take Mullins if I had the option)
-- Etherington (probably the most difficult for us to pick up out of this lot)
-- Berkovic
-- Clement

Would these be my ideal acquisitions? Absolutely not.

But based on what we need right now, and limited funds, and what we have a chance of "putting over the line", it makes sense.

Gooders
28-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
Why on earth do B'ham want Etherington when they already have Gray and Lazaridis?

Because Lazaridis is injured again, and Gray has long since stopped pulling up trees?

lordanton
28-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Not sure about Zamora..... Reo could be good, but to be honest i know very little about him except we tried last year.

Etherington would be good as we would have him and Routledge, plus Kolkka who can play either side.

Jay_Palace
28-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Reo Coker turned us down for that lot, and hasn't exactly set the world alight at the hamsters. I don't reckon that he's any better than Soares or Watson (I would have those two ahead of him any day)

As for Etherington, Kolkka is infinitely better and so he would not be good value for money.

Kily Gonzales on the other hand ...

ANDYEAGLE
28-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Yes we should get Sorondo to have a word with his mate Killy(hope they are mates) and tell him what a great club we are. No interest in Coker but I would like Etherington.

Jay_Palace
28-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
Yes we should get Sorondo to have a word with his mate Killy(hope they are mates) and tell him what a great club we are. No interest in Coker but I would like Etherington.

I have a funny feeling that Gonzales will be a Palace player, we know that Dowie likes him and I reckon that he would make an enormous difference to our team.

ANDYEAGLE
28-12-2004, 06:47 PM
He did nearly join us with the other two so lets keep the fingers crossed.

pedro
28-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
As for Etherington, Kolkka is infinitely better and so he would not be good value for money.
That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. :D

Ruskin Old Boy
28-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Choosing between Gonzales and Reo-Coker/Etherington should be easy for anyone. Wouldn't have either of the hamsters rejects.

wedgetail
28-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by pedro
Funny but true.

Braders
28-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Na, Etherington is a very good player.

Jay_Palace
28-12-2004, 07:30 PM

Does Etherington have 50 plus caps for his country?

Has Etherington played in the champions league?

Has Etherington regularly played top level football?

The joke is on you :clown:

Jay_Palace
28-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Na, Etherington is a very good player.

Not really, nothing special.

It's easy to look good in div one, just ask Julian Gray.

limited_edition
28-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Na, Etherington is a very good player. He's not fit to lace Joonas Kolkka's boots.

Braders
28-12-2004, 07:36 PM
But Julian Gray is playing well for Brum? I think Etherington would be a good signing, worth the risk. Not saying Kolkka isn't up to it, but I like Etherington.

eagles #1
28-12-2004, 07:42 PM
I wish that our team would actually pass to Kolkka!

lordanton
28-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Gray and Kolkka are ahead of Etherington.

Although Gray can turn a game in seconds with his pace and hold of the ball, he can't pick a cross or shoot and with either foot like Joonas.

Etherington isn't as good, but having him would mean we had four quality wingers...two of which can play of the left comfortably, and three that can play on the right.

Braders
28-12-2004, 07:49 PM
I agree.

Gooders
28-12-2004, 07:57 PM
I think we should listen to the hamsters fans - they universally describe all of their players as mediocre or worse.

pedro
28-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Gray was a decent player with a poor attitude whilst Kolkka is a poor player with a decent attitude. You could argue who is the better out of Etherington and Gray but to try and argue the case that Kolkka is better than Etherington is just too ridiculous for words. Yes the same boring drival of all the caps that Kolkka has earned for the mighty Finland and the fact that he has played a couple of games in the Champions League gets wheeled out as usual but that does not disguise the fact he is distinctly average at best. Whilst I cannot be bothered to trawl through his Champions League record I assume most appearances were for PSV where he was a fringe player in a team that is always going to be in Europe as the standard of the Dutch league is so poor.

arussell
29-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Cracking result today for the Hammers :D

Palace should have snapped up Etherington pre-season. Pardew would have snapped our hand off in an exchange deal for Powell.

lordanton
29-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by arussell

Palace should have snapped up Etherington pre-season. Pardew would have snapped our hand off in an exchange deal for Powell.

I think he would even more now that he's seen Powell in that crappy brown shirt.

Richwak
29-12-2004, 04:09 PM
http://www.tribalfootball.com/december/englisnews6291204.html

I would love it if we got Reo-Coker, i really rate him. Would like us to get Zamora as well. As long as he knows where he stands, hes a bit of a moody one.

AndyStreet
29-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Gray was a decent player with a poor attitude whilst Kolkka is a poor player with a decent attitude. You could argue who is the better out of Etherington and Gray but to try and argue the case that Kolkka is better than Etherington is just too ridiculous for words. Yes the same boring drival of all the caps that Kolkka has earned for the mighty Finland and the fact that he has played a couple of games in the Champions League gets wheeled out as usual but that does not disguise the fact he is distinctly average at best. Whilst I cannot be bothered to trawl through his Champions League record I assume most appearances were for PSV where he was a fringe player in a team that is always going to be in Europe as the standard of the Dutch league is so poor.

You really are on crack, aren't you?

Maybe if you ever bothered to do some research you'd see he has played Champions League football for both Panathanaikos and PSV, and whilst I'm sure playing in the Championship for West Ham is an infinitessimally higher standard of football, Joonas also has over 50 international caps. You may not think much of Finland as a footballing nation, perhaps because of ignorance, but being Finnish never did Jari Litmanen any harm. Joonas has acquitted himself admirably over the last couple of months and has scored a couple of decent goals against those footballing minnows Liverpool at Anfield and Manchester United at Old Trafford. Still I'm sure a Spurs reject is far better than a player with experience in the Bundesliga, at international and Champions League level.

CHE
29-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Even if he does OK, there are section of our "support" that will be waiting to rip him to shreads. You just have to look at how Gray and now Routledge are treated to have an idea of what will happen.

I am not a boo-boy, but that Zamora should never, ever be allowed anywhere near our beloved club. And if he is, then I, for one, will make sure that he knows how I feel about him.

Sussex Eagle
29-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Matt Etherington = The most overrated player on the BBS. Well, tied with Marlon Harweood.

lordanton
29-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Harewood is a better all round player than Etherington. He is also a better striker than Etherington is a winger.

RDSdaEAGLE
29-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by AndyStreet

Maybe if you ever bothered to do some research you'd see he has played Champions League football for both Panathanaikos and PSV, and whilst I'm sure playing in the Championship for West Ham is an infinitessimally higher standard of football, Joonas also has over 50 international caps. You may not think much of Finland as a footballing nation, perhaps because of ignorance, but being Finnish never did Jari Litmanen any harm. Joonas has acquitted himself admirably over the last couple of months and has scored a couple of decent goals against those footballing minnows Liverpool at Anfield and Manchester United at Old Trafford. Still I'm sure a Spurs reject is far better than a player with experience in the Bundesliga, at international and Champions League level.

Amen to that.

The attention given to Etherington on the BBS is ridiculous!

AJ
29-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by AndyStreet

Great response... Kollka is a fine player, all he lacks for the premiership is size. Although rated as one of the top leagues in Europe, the premiership is still a fairly physical league and small players suffer more than they do overseas.

Etherington, like Zamora were both failures at Spurs and in the Premiership, yet Zamora takes all the crap from some on these boards.:rolleyes:

RDSdaEAGLE
29-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by AJ
Great response... Kollka is a fine player, all he lacks for the premiership is size. Although rated as one of the top leagues in Europe, the premiership is still a fairly physical league and small players suffer more than they do overseas.

Shaun Wright Philips is the same height as Kolkka. It's not stopped him from becoming a great player.

Kolkka is class. He's got a great touch, can use both feet and has pace to burn. He's played in three very competetive European leagues, and has played Champions League football for 2 clubs.

Etherington is a good division 1 player, hasn't performed well at the highest level and therefor shouldn't be considered a better player than Joonas.

Icarus
29-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Have always rated Reo-Coker, just hoping Messrs Jordan and Dowie can pull this off. Reo hopefully realises that he took a wrong turn in choosing the Hammers over us as his career has been in reverse, a couple of seasons ago he was touted as 'the next big thing' now people know he has the potential and WHUFC are doing their utmost in destroying this. If he's got any sense and chooses say Spurs instead of Palace he'll realise that he won't be first choice for at least a couple of seasons! I feel in time he has the quality to play at Prem level though the question is how quickly can he adapt for our needs?

Tomo
29-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins

You hinting at something their Kolinkins?

I can't see how an arguement can be he only plays for Finland. It is not his fault that was where he was born. Would Zidane be less of a player had he been born In Ivory Coast lets say???

ANDYEAGLE
29-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by arussell

I doubt it Etherington is probably the only class player West Ham have barring Sheringham and he is nearly 40. West Ham would want a bit more than 300k they said they couldnt afford for Powell more like 1.5 million if we could get him cheaper we should buy him. I am not interested in his time at Spurs or I would not want to make comparisons with Koolka, the fact is we need good cover on that side anyway unless we get Killy(please)

AJ
29-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Shaun Wright Philips is the same height as Kolkka. It's not stopped him from becoming a great player.

I agree, but SWP has been playing in the Prem for 2 or 3 seasons, Kolkka has to adjust and I think he is making great strides...wait until next season.

Phil O'Sophical
29-12-2004, 08:19 PM
ID was on SSN earlier saying that we need to bring in a couple of players during the transfer window but adding firmly that they need to be established players who are guaranteed to contribute when they walk through the door. We cannot afford to take risks on players.

That for me would eliminate buying any Div 1 players.

Typical Palace
30-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Etherington = in Butts pocket at Cardiff

Buy Reo, if only so we can go Reo-Coker - Kolkka... the real thing!

On the other hand the Wallers might get too much mileage out of a Nigel playing for Palace.

Braders
30-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Typical Palace
Etherington = in Butts pocket at Cardiff

Buy Reo, if only so we can go Reo-Coker - Kolkka... the real thing!

On the other hand the Wallers might get too much mileage out of a Nigel playing for Palace.

:D

GUCCI Eagle
30-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Reo-Coker Kolkka
Knees bend arms stretch ra......

I'll get me billy-goat.

Spender
30-12-2004, 02:06 PM
If ID has said he wants players who have shown they came perform at the top level the signings do look increasingly likely to be:

1 Inter Milan loanee
Berkovic
Euell

Personally I would love to get Harewood but he does not seem to fit that definition !

Feather
30-12-2004, 03:49 PM
HANDS OFF HAMMERS STARS - PARDEW
By Tom Collomosse, PA Sport
Alan Pardew today told Barclays Premiership clubs to forget the
idea of signing West Ham's best players in the transfer window.
Winger Matthew Etherington, midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker and striker
Marlon Harewood have all been linked with moves away from Upton Park
when top-flight clubs are allowed to buy and sell again in January.
But Pardew insisted the trio must remain to give West Ham the best
possible chance to return to the Premiership after a two-year absence
- and urged his club not to consider selling the trio for short-term
financial gain.
``The best figure that we would get for one of our players would be
nowhere near the 25million we would receive if we are promoted,''
Pardew said.
``There is no reason for us to sell anyone. Nigel, Matty and Marlon
will not be leaving this club in the January transfer window.
``We need our best players here if we are going to get promoted.''
Despite possessing one of the most talented squads in the Coca-Cola
Championship, West Ham have struggled to find consistency this term.
They have not won three successive league matches at any stage this
season, and consequently find themselves outside the play-off
positions - albeit on goal difference alone.
And their next two matches could not be tougher. West Ham travel to
leaders Ipswich - 10 points above them in the table - on New Year's
Day, before taking on in-form Sheffield United at Upton Park two days
later.
Pardew has maintained throughout the year that West Ham can still
be promoted automatically, but he conceded today defeat at Portman
Road could put a serious dent in those ambitions.
``If we fell 13 points behind Ipswich, it would be a tough job for
us to claw it back,'' he admitted.
``We are keeping the distance to the teams at the top, but we are
not closing the gap.
``The important factor for us is to stay as close as we can before
we start to put a run of results together, free of injury and free of
suspension.
``There is no doubt in my mind that this team has the ability to do
that.''

Raoul Duke
30-12-2004, 10:50 PM
So if the Hammsters don't go up they'll be broke as well still in the Championship.

Micky Droy
31-12-2004, 11:30 AM
it's quite fun though, seeing the last dregs of that talented hammers side being picked off by other clubs. In a nasty sort of way, of course :p