PDA

View Full Version : Lars Ricken

honeysuckle
28-12-2004, 02:07 PM
I wonder if our Dortmund correspondent (BvD Bob)has any news on Ricken?

He used to be a quality midfield player with an ability to score goals (vis-a-vis the European Cup Final against Juve).I see he hasn't featured much this season so is he still a player worth pursuing now that he is nearing the end of his career?

I really feel we need two or three players who have played at the top of the game if we are to saty in this division.

Latvian Eagle
28-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Quite surprised he hasn't been playing if true. I thought Ricken was a big favourite at Dortmund. Certainly would fit well into our midfield, and he can play on the right as well as in the center. A pretty influential player too.

BW_Palace
28-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Brilliant signing if it happened.

Any ideas why he hasn't featured much?

Jay_Palace
28-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Good player, similar sort to Berkovic and the type of player that would make a huge difference to our midfield.

Latvian Eagle
28-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Nearing the end of his career? He's only 28, you make him sound about 33. :eek:

BW_Palace
29-12-2004, 01:23 PM
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=245513&CPID=22&CLID=157&lid=&title=City+fail+in+Ricken+enquiry&channel=Germany

Apparently Man City went in for him.

If they can't get him, we have no chance.

GUCCI Eagle
29-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Didn't think he ever was regular. Was supposedly the wunderkind of his time, but I'm not sure if he ever played regularly.

GUCCI Eagle
29-12-2004, 01:27 PM
I've said the same thing twice there, yes, twice.

BVB Bob
29-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Lars is Dortmund through & through. Therein lies the problem in anyone else getting hold of him. He was regular for long time, but a couple of bad injuries saw BVB buy Rosicky to replace him in the attacking midfield role. Although a regular/sub under Sammer, he's fallen out of favour with the new management who have stated that they don't believe his mental attitude is right (although to be fair he always tries 100% when he does get his chances), but also the new management are under pressure to play Rosicky all the time as he is one of the highest earners so needs to be seen to be playing - some cynics suggest the vast array of Rosicky merchandise that needs to be shifted also plays a part in this.

There's no doubting that Lars is a quality player. Delicate through balls, can play with both feet & has a knack of scoring goals from midfield. I'd love to see him at Palace, but I wonder if he has the physical toughness for a relegation battle, particularly an English one. He won't leave his hometown club - who would want to when you've won the European Cup with the team you supported as a kid, in a city where you've lived all your life? However, a loan deal may be more tempting than Dortmund's amateur side, which is where he is at the moment. Give him the chance to play top flight football again, giving him the chance to show his management he's still the player everyone remembers. Would that be tempting for him?

I'd love it, but I can't see it happening, which is a shame.

Latvian Eagle
30-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Lars Ricken is far too good to be rotting away at Dortmund (A). And I don't mean to be offensive to Rudi's Lubeck, but the Regionalliga where Dortmund (A) play is more like our conference, and Ricken could easily ply his trade at a mid-lower Premiership side.

Brett
30-12-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by BVB Bob
Lars is Dortmund through & through. Therein lies the problem in anyone else getting hold of him. He was regular for long time, but a couple of bad injuries saw BVB buy Rosicky to replace him in the attacking midfield role. Although a regular/sub under Sammer, he's fallen out of favour with the new management who have stated that they don't believe his mental attitude is right (although to be fair he always tries 100% when he does get his chances), but also the new management are under pressure to play Rosicky all the time as he is one of the highest earners so needs to be seen to be playing - some cynics suggest the vast array of Rosicky merchandise that needs to be shifted also plays a part in this.

There's no doubting that Lars is a quality player. Delicate through balls, can play with both feet & has a knack of scoring goals from midfield. I'd love to see him at Palace, but I wonder if he has the physical toughness for a relegation battle, particularly an English one. He won't leave his hometown club - who would want to when you've won the European Cup with the team you supported as a kid, in a city where you've lived all your life? However, a loan deal may be more tempting than Dortmund's amateur side, which is where he is at the moment. Give him the chance to play top flight football again, giving him the chance to show his management he's still the player everyone remembers. Would that be tempting for him?

I'd love it, but I can't see it happening, which is a shame.

Devastatingly good player on his day but would you liken him to Berkovic, as Jay has done? I'm not sure I would.

I'd love it if we got him on loan. Got more than passing interest in Lars' career and have done since he was a kid (long story).

And who wouldn't want to swap Dortmund for London in wintertime? ;)