PDA

View Full Version : Club says sorry for Boxing Day

c_block_lad
29-12-2004, 12:39 PM
From cpfc.co.uk

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the kick-off for our match against Portsmouth on Boxing Day was delayed, resulting in problems with the supply of fast food at half-time. Crystal Palace Football Club would like to apologise to all supporters for the delayed kick-off and the subsequent fast food shortages.

We would also like to assure all supporters that the club has put in place contingencies to ensure that these problems do not reoccur for the forthcoming match against Aston Villa on Monday 3rd January 2005, kick-off 3pm and any future matches.

Your support and understanding on this issue is very much appreciated.

Dave
29-12-2004, 12:43 PM
What about the rest of year?

lordanton
29-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Im not bothered...i would have missed the first 10 minutes had it not been delayed!

Dave
29-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Liked this on the Pompey site:

After waiting for 45 minutes for the game to start on Boxing Day, the archaic debacle known as Selhurst Park shows clearly how much Palace need to improve off the field as well as on it.

Not a normal kick off time, but 1.00 p.m. was the scheduled start. But the weather had it's part to play in what was a fairly disappointing ground to visit and the game kicked off 45 minutes late. True, Fratton Park has a lot of problems, but these are being addressed and building work on a new ground is set to start in the New Year. Visiting fans coming to Pompey know they have to sit in an uncovered end and as a result come fully prepared - and we only charge them 25 for the pleasure too.

But when you consider the audacity of the Palace board to charge 35 for a seat, which was a tatty old splintering affair that had seen better days before the 1960s, you start to wonder if you have actually been ripped off. Then, as you locate your particular seat, you then find that it is four rows from the back with limited viewing ability due to the roof line, TV gantry and also the support posts.

The level at which the seats are fitted are such that you spend a lot of the time with your knees under your chin, and due to the fact that they are so lowly sited that you get a great view of back of the neck of the guy in front of you, but little much of the game. This then forced everyone to actually stand, whcih gave a much better view of the pitch - provided you stood on the concrete that the seat was bolted to and not the foot well.

But this was little in comparison to the complete incompetency of the ground staff. The away section was a sell out, whcih meant there were over 3,000 Pompey fans at the game. Good support, shame about the hosts who decided that just one canteen serving hot and cold drinks could cope with 3000+ fans. True, they did have another kiosk as you got into the away end, but it was serving hot dogs and no hot drinks - but the hot dogs soon ran out.

Even the Milton end at Fratton Park has twice the facilities. The problem was then clear for all to see as the rediculously small drinking area became so fully packed that there was no chance of anyone getting out in a hurry if there was a fire.

With the kick off time being further and further delayed, so the drinking continued. Eventually the match kicked off, but the coldness of waiting around had got the better of many fans and with 15 minutes to go before half time many made their way down to the canteen to obtain a hot drink and hot food. Little did they know that disappointment was just around the corner - with only half an hour gone of the first half many left the prehistoric delapidated stand to go the canteen, only to find that they had run out of hot food and hot drinks.

Plenty of beer was left but for many this was not what was needed - Palace had woefully screwed up, a digusting way to treat fans on a cold day, especially away fans as they have further to travel. What would it have been like for Newcastle had they travelled all the way down to find that within half an hour the hot food and drink had all gone?

For 35, Crystal Palace owe the travelling Pompey fans a written apology, it was a disgrace blended with incompetency. When you consider that away games at Liverpool (28) Everton (27), Aston Villa (23) and Bolton Wanderers (29) then the fee from Palace really is a case of the fans being well and truly ripped off.

If Palace are going to charge that sort of money and rip fans off to sit in a ramshackled, delapidated and uncomfortable stand like that, then the sooner they go down the better - at least Norwich have a ground to be proud of that graces the Premiership.

c_block_lad
29-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Dave
What about the rest of year?

You mean this?

We would also like to assure all supporters that the club has put in place contingencies to ensure that these problems do not reoccur for the forthcoming match against Aston Villa on Monday 3rd January 2005, kick-off 3pm and any future matches.

c_block_lad
29-12-2004, 12:54 PM

Sorry, but I find it hard to take that seriously from a fan who's away end has no roof and the seating is bolted onto a old terrace, with the first few rows below pitch level.

Also, all football fans know Selhurst Park is a shit ground, with a poor away section, no one forced him to pay 35.

Good to see the last paragraph shows they really have become arroogrant because they have been in the Premiership for two seasons.

Scroatey
29-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Personally I'd like to see life for the away support made as difficult as possible - can we take the roof off, stick some more pillars in, and remove all catering facilities, leaving just a few troughs to piss in? :D

Neil the Eagle
29-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Dave from Pompey site
Visiting fans coming to Pompey know they have to sit in an uncovered end and as a result come fully prepared - and we only charge them 25 for the pleasure too.

Even the Milton end at Fratton Park has twice the facilities. The problem was then clear for all to see as the ridiculously small drinking area became so fully packed that there was no chance of anyone getting out in a hurry if there was a fire.

a) They charged us 30 not 25.
b) their away end doesn't have twice the facilities, its actually less than what's on offer at Selhurst.
c) they don't serve beer to away fans at all.

Rest of it is pretty accurate.

Sadly.

GUCCI Eagle
29-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Lots of money for a cheap product - hope the hotdogs are 5 each as well.

drizzt
29-12-2004, 01:02 PM
I was very happy that the kick off was delayed.

I was stuck in traffic on the M3 and was 25 minutes late for the 1 o'clock kick off.

Also i really dont think that the AW stand is that bad! With a little bit of fettling it could be a reasonable stand, but then why should we spend money on a stadium we dont own?

Anyway different subject!

Dave
29-12-2004, 01:11 PM
You mean this?

No I mean for the last 12 months where food runs out EVERY match in the main stand as does the beer on occassion

Eagle 2000
29-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad

Also, all football fans know Selhurst Park is a shit ground, with a poor away section, no one forced him to pay 35.

That's not exactly the point though.

I thought the Pompey comments were pretty well justified. I believe we should look after away fans as well as we look after home fans (though unfortunately home fans don't get much better).

forsells no1 fan
29-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Would rather of had an appology for the performance!

lightweight
29-12-2004, 01:18 PM
I don't mind constructive criticism & whilst I agree with some of this I think that portsmouth can hardly complain. 30 to sit in an uncovered end, with constantly flooded toilets, inability to move anywhere else except where the seats are, wouldn't know if there was hot food at half time as you can't get to the kiosks as the queues take too long and a horrible walkway with graffiti all over it to and from the ground.

I'd be the first to admit that our away facilities are far from impressive & we charge way to much but Portsmouth have got to be just as bad as us!

NO1FAN
29-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Scroatey
leaving just a few troughs to piss in? :D

and drink from? :o

Dorking .Eagle
29-12-2004, 01:32 PM
100% agree with Neil the Eagle - they charged us 30! How we were a Category A game as far as Pompey were concerned, I don't know!

There are more facilities at the Palace away end, than at the Milton end at Pompey (as soon as you enter the turnstile, you are stuck in the crush between the food queue and the toilets queues). I would also say there is more leg room in the Arthur Wait than on the Milton End.

To be honest it is a bit rich Pompey saying they are entitled to criticise because they will be doing up their ground soon - Oxford United kept saying that for about 10 years before they finally moved!!

What a lot of fans forget when they come to Palace and moan about paying 35 is that you get a seat ON THE SIDE OF THE PITCH, not behind the goal like at some grounds. Some of the away seats in the Arthur give a very good view too.

I thought the ticket price reflected quality of the view of the game. As such, sitting on the side of the pitch you should compare to equivalent away sections -
At Man Utd, South Stand seats (the block on the side of the pitch, not the corner) were 34
At Norwich they were 30
At Chelsea you sit on the side of the pitch and pay 42.
I don't know what they charge at Everton but that is the only other place you sit on the side of the pitch as a visitor in the Premiership.
Average out the 3 quoted above and you get 35, which is exactly what we charge. The Average. So stop whining Pompey and go and moan about Chelsea's "match experience"

Dorking .Eagle
29-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Oh almost forgot about the other point I was going to make - last time there was a major kick off delay was the time the roof blew off last season (Wimbledon home?) - a 45 minute delay. That time, the red and blue bar ran out of beer. They didn't this time, so they are slowly learning!

KennyB
29-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Have you ever tried going to the gents at Fratton Park ? Got to be the worst ever. Ditto half-time drinks.

selhurst
29-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the kick-off for our match against Portsmouth on Boxing Day was delayed, resulting in problems with the supply of fast food at half-time.

But no problems with the beer supply! At the time we did wonder whether the delay was just a ploy to sell more beer...

Ruskin Old Boy
29-12-2004, 02:05 PM
But when you consider the audacity of the Palace board to charge 35 for a seat, which was a tatty old splintering affair that had seen better days before the 1960s, you start to wonder if you have actually been ripped off.

The Arthur was built during the 68/69 season.

wighteagle
29-12-2004, 06:45 PM
I think that Pompey have got a bloody cheek complaining about our ground. It may have it's faults, I don't deny that, but at least you don't have to sit out in the pissing rain.

Tomo
29-12-2004, 06:55 PM
We should have had more but it was the first time in 2years I have bought food from the ground just cause it was so cold and the fact I finished work at 1215 meant a rush. I am sure I wasn;t the only one who bought food who usuallt doesn't.

sexyrazor
29-12-2004, 07:24 PM
The away end has always seemed pretty full to me (with the exception of Fulham and Chortleton). While bums are on seats he will continue to charge 35.

PeterH
29-12-2004, 07:48 PM
'True, Fratton Park has a lot of problems, but these are being addressed and building work on a new ground is set to start in the New Year.'

When you sum up the legacy that SJ will leave at Palace/Selhurst it doesn't add up to a hand of beans really does it. Looking at a peers we could always say that our ground was no worst than Portsmouths, we will have to search the top two divisions for another example soon.

paulws
29-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
But when you consider the audacity of the Palace board to charge 35 for a seat, which was a tatty old splintering affair that had seen better days before the 1960s, you start to wonder if you have actually been ripped off.

The Arthur was built during the 68/69 season.

Indeed it was! And what a season, of course! Remember Palace fans abandoning the Holmesdale terraces to congregate under the first partly covered section because it improved chanting volume. Ironic that that little area is now exclusively for away fans.

celery stick
29-12-2004, 08:19 PM
There was a time when Pompey were considered quite 'hard', now they want fluffy cushions and sherry on Boxing Day???
They had the 3 points, isnt that enough?

IF this season is to be a one off, we need to make as much cash as possible.
Double the ticket prices in the away section, or at least put them up to 50 quid. Blimey, they're visiting a working museum when they come to Selhurst. Its full of h-i-s-t-o-r-i-c-a-l stadium designs!
We have stands dating from the 1920's to the 1990's.
They dont know how lucky they are to have us in the Premiership.

Mugs.

LP
30-12-2004, 11:52 PM
I'm sorry, but this is the height of hypocrisy coming from them. Lets be honest they charged us 30 (not 25) to sit in that pathetic open terrace with no roof and facilities that make the Arthur Wait look state of the art. Bunch of hypocrites. :grrr:

CPFC Town
31-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by LP
I'm sorry, but this is the height of hypocrisy coming from them. Lets be honest they charged us 30 (not 25) to sit in that pathetic open terrace with no roof and facilities that make the Arthur Wait look state of the art. Bunch of hypocrites. :grrr:

Ditto!! :lux:

JohnA
31-12-2004, 12:41 AM
What about the rest of year? :D

JohnA
31-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
a) They charged us 30 not 25.
b) their away end doesn't have twice the facilities, its actually less than what's on offer at Selhurst.
c) they don't serve beer to away fans at all.

Rest of it is pretty accurate.

Sadly.

I thought that they'd have more understanding. We have at least purpose built stands - unlike Pompey & Fulham where there are crap seats put on terraces.
However, I agree the away experience at Selhurst is dire.

Daily Mal
01-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Surely the quality of seating and the view of the pitch is the same in the away section as it is in the rest of the Arfur. The angle of view might be different but the seats, and roofline and pillars are the same.

I agree that relatively speaking the seats are shyte - but no more shyte than for the rest of that stand.

Stanley Boy
01-01-2005, 12:06 PM

Do they mean us ?........

They surely do !

LOL

Rog 007
01-01-2005, 12:36 PM
That Pompey site comment is really funy but at the same time, I do agree with the prices comment but alas if we are up for one year as I think Jordan thinks he's trying to make as much cash as possible. I personally feel we will stay up so theres no need to have these high prices.

Stanley Boy
01-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Rog 007
That Pompey site comment is really funy but at the same time, I do agree with the prices comment but alas if we are up for one year as I think Jordan thinks he's trying to make as much cash as possible. I personally feel we will stay up so theres no need to have these high prices.

Fair comment Rog, but this is sheer ecconomics. If we are selling out to capacity crowds, there is no need to lower the prices. The telling time will be if we stay in the Prem next season, and we then see how many away fans (or indeed home fans), who feel they were ripped off this season, return next.