PDA

View Full Version : Dean Ashton - Signs For Norwich

Pages : [1] 2

leekelly
01-01-2005, 08:31 AM
IS IT ONLY ME BUT WOULD ANYONE ELSE LIKE TO SEE DEAN ASHTON OF CREWE LEADING THE LINE WITH A.J. TOP SCORER FOR CREWE EVERY SEASON, HES YOUNG, TALL ( AND WE ARE SERIOUSLY LACKING A BIT OF HEIGHT UP FRONT) SURELY WE COULD GET HIM FOR ABOUT 4M AND IF GOD FORBID WE DO GO DOWN THIS SEASON, HIM AND A.J. WOULD CERTAINLY GIVE US A GREAT CHANCE OF COMING STRAIGHT BACK UP!!

RDSdaEAGLE
01-01-2005, 08:40 AM
BARGAIN!!!!

...or maybe not.

Freddy Kurz
01-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by leekelly
IS IT ONLY ME BUT WOULD ANYONE ELSE LIKE TO SEE DEAN ASHTON OF CREWE LEADING THE LINE WITH A.J. TOP SCORER FOR CREWE EVERY SEASON, HES YOUNG, TALL ( AND WE ARE SERIOUSLY LACKING A BIT OF HEIGHT UP FRONT) SURELY WE COULD GET HIM FOR ABOUT 4M AND IF GOD FORBID WE DO GO DOWN THIS SEASON, HIM AND A.J. WOULD CERTAINLY GIVE US A GREAT CHANCE OF COMING STRAIGHT BACK UP!!

No harm in hoping leekelly, but don't hold your breath. This player
had 30 scouts watching him recently when Crewe played Scumwall,
and players of this quality, already in the England U21 squad way
well be looking for a club in the top half of the Premier League
rather than one struggling to stay up.

ANDYEAGLE
01-01-2005, 08:53 AM

leekelly think you will find a lot on these boards on threads about Dean Ashton if you search. Most people want him but think hwe will go elsewhere. Crewe would not get as much as 4 million for Ashton and Palace will pay 4million for nobody. Happy new year.

leekelly
01-01-2005, 09:07 AM
DOWIE HASNT EXACTELY BEEN THAT GREAT IN THE TRANSFER MARKET THOUGH SINCE HES BEEN AT PALACE HAS HE:confused:

Kevan Woz Awful
01-01-2005, 09:31 AM
He isn't coming to Palace.

Liverpool have a first refusal deal in place with Crewe and Iain Dowie himself has said his target in January is for 'established' players.

Bounce back
01-01-2005, 09:39 AM
palace would be a good move for ashton as he would get a game in the premership if he goes to the likes of spurs he will only be keeping their bench warm most weeks

leekelly
01-01-2005, 09:56 AM
WHAT ABOUT ETHRINGTON FROM THE HAMMERS THEN

Jimbo ?
01-01-2005, 10:08 AM
they would be good, ashton i undoubtly class but I fear he may go else where, etherington would also be a good signing but again i cant see it happening

GUCCI Eagle
01-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Stop fecking shouting.

cpfc4ever
01-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Yeah take the caps of lol,

Cannon
01-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Ashton has just scored again!!! I would love to see AJ and Ashton up front.

<_tece_>
01-01-2005, 03:20 PM
2-1 fulham

Sussex Eagle
01-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Am I having BBS flashbacks to July or something?

Trolley
01-01-2005, 04:25 PM
DOWIE HASNT EXACTELY BEEN THAT GREAT IN THE TRANSFER MARKET THOUGH SINCE HES BEEN AT PALACE HAS HE:confused:

Absolutely right.

limited_edition
01-01-2005, 04:35 PM
DOWIE HASNT EXACTELY BEEN THAT GREAT IN THE TRANSFER MARKET THOUGH SINCE HES BEEN AT PALACE HAS HE:confused: Not completely true. Ok, Kaviedes, Andrews and possibly Torghelle haven't been successful, but Kiraly, Kolkka, Hall, Sorondo, Boyce and Vaesen from last season have all been great signings.

leekelly
01-01-2005, 04:53 PM
speroni has been a flop and leigertwood

leekelly
01-01-2005, 04:56 PM
do we need to get into the transfer market quick or what

Grovesey
01-01-2005, 05:03 PM
b............o............l..................l.... ..............o................c.................. k...............s!

Richwak
01-01-2005, 05:32 PM
speroni has been a flop and leigertwood

Sorry but Leigertwood has not been a flop at all, in my opinion he was an integral part of our promotion winning team, i am great fan of his. Speroni has not been great but i do think that he has a lot of unessasary abuse. He is a great shot stopper and i am happy having him as a back up to Kiraly.

leekelly
01-01-2005, 05:35 PM
YES BUT WITH ALL DUE RESPECT TO LEIGERTWOOD BEING INSTRUMENTAL IN OUR PROMOTION BID IN THE OLD DIV 1 AND THEN MAKING THE STEP UP TO PREM IS A MASSIVE STEP AS POPOVIC IS FINDING OUT, HE WAS TERRIBLE TODAY

Richwak
01-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Indeed Popovic was, but i feel Leigertwood is adapting well to the premiership and he is only a young player. This season he has seemed a lot more confident on the ball, especially in 2-1 win over Charlton in the Cup.

leekelly
01-01-2005, 05:58 PM
ok your right leigertwood is young, but i feel it is time for the olders to move on perhaps, shipperley, freedman derry etc. (alot of people dont agree with me about freedman though)

lordanton
01-01-2005, 06:02 PM
You can't say Dowie didn't have the right intentions though.

Speroni looked superb in the Scottish League.
Ventola is a major talent...just made of glass.
Torghelle will be a fantastic player.
Leigertwood was supreme against Arsenal (you know, when we still played with spirit?)
Kaviedes is a brilliant player. Who knows whats happening with him?

I would have bought all of those players in Dowie's shoes. Teh other signings have been good.

Ryan_the_eagle
01-01-2005, 08:52 PM
wouldnt it be better getting a player who can nod the ball to johnson though like a better shipperly.

lordanton
01-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Ryan_the_eagle
wouldnt it be better getting a player who can nod the ball to johnson though like a better shipperly.

How about that Hungarian guy....Torghelle?

ANDYEAGLE
01-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Ryan_the_eagle

Where is Shipps? surely he hasnt gone to work in that pie factory again.
He is still the best option to play with AJ upfront. Hope we play 442 monday.

maestro
01-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Norwich are after him, quotes from Nigel Worthington

"Dean Ashton is a player who myself and the board want to bring to Norwich City," he said.

"We have made enquiries, but it is looking expensive.

"He's a player I greatly admire. He is tall and has great strength and has scored goals. He would be a great asset for us."

On ething we cant do is let Norwich get him!!!

palace & proud
02-01-2005, 12:40 AM
CRYSTAL Palace manager Iain Dowie says his priority for January's transfer window is a striker, writes Chris Fidler.

He's believed to be tracking West Ham pair Marlon Harewood and Bobby Zamora, plus several targets abroad.

But Dowie's interest in Crewe's Dean Ashton has cooled, with Palace unable to compete with the Premiership's richer clubs in the scramble for his signature.

Dowie said: "We need to bring in goalscorers and we need other players to lessen the burden on Andy Johnson. We won't be spending £9mil-lion but we hope to get what we want."

Dowie is also after two midfielders and a left-back to challenge Danny Granville :p

leekelly
02-01-2005, 08:00 AM
maybe shipperley should be recalled???

cpfc_spc1982
02-01-2005, 09:22 AM
it would be a big blow should he go to norwich.

Ollie Ox
02-01-2005, 09:51 AM
He would be great for Palace but Crewe are holding out for a big transfer and i don't think we should be held to ransom on this one

Freddy Kurz
02-01-2005, 09:57 AM

Look at from the point of view of ambitious players with other teams
Leekelly. If they are aware of a group of Premier League clubs
interested in signing them, which ones are they most likely to want
to join? Will it be those clubs with a realistic chance of playing
in the Premier League next season, or teams looking odds-on fav-
ourites for relegation? Also remember their final decision will be
heavily influenced by their agents, who have a deep financial
interest in the future welfare of their players.
It should also be understood that players coming to recently
promoted clubs like Palace, Norwich or West Bromwich will have
to agree terms of a contract that will see their salaries revert
to the levels of the Mickey Mouse Championship if those clubs
are relegated.
The above are just a few of the difficulties managers of
relegation-threatened sides have to live with.
Dowie as we all know had a list of quality players targeted
soon after last-season's promotion: Cahill, Carrick Harewood etc
but the players took one look at Palace's existing squad and
set-up and turned us down.
Maybe a higher profile manager than Dowie could have persuaded
some of those players to have joined Palace, who can say?
We must now hope that Dowie, despite the team's recent
serious decline in form, will still be able to do some loan
wheeling and dealing during the re-opened transfer window
to enable him to strengthen our squad enough to enable
us to avoid relegation.

lordanton
02-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Norwich have no chance. They might want Ashton, but they can onlly afford £2 million - and we had that rejected in the summer!!!

st albans
02-01-2005, 12:31 PM
why can't people search before starting up the same thread as 4 months ago

Phil O'Sophical
02-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by lordanton
Norwich have no chance. They might want Ashton, but they can onlly afford £2 million - and we had that rejected in the summer!!!

On the basis that Morientes is talked about as leaving Real for £5mn I can't see how Crewe could justify anything more than £2mn for Ashton

Kirby
02-01-2005, 03:47 PM
leekelly - do you honestly think spending £4m on one player is a good idea at the moment?

I'd be ******** delighted if we got Ashton and £4m probably wouldn't be bad business in the long run, but right now the money could be better spent elsewhere.

If we could get Ashton for £2m it'd be great, but I think Crewe want more.

leekelly
02-01-2005, 06:24 PM
the more i've read on this page it does seem like 5mill would be alot for ashton 3mill would prob be about right. Hate to see Norwich nab him though

palace & proud
02-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Im sure Crewe wouldnt let Ashton go for less than £4million.

palace & proud
02-01-2005, 06:51 PM
maybe shipperley should be recalled???

He cant even get on the Subs Bench let alone get recalled:rolleyes:

leekelly
02-01-2005, 06:54 PM
west ham have stated that no-one will be leaving in the January transfer window, so in theory that ends the rumours about Harewood or Zamora coming to SE25

ANDYEAGLE
02-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by palace & proud
Im sure Crewe wouldnt let Ashton go for less than £4million.

I am sure they would they need the money,no one can justify that fee for an unproven premier player nowadays.

leekelly
02-01-2005, 07:08 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but did'nt Spurs pay Brighton £3.5 Million for Zamora, and what a flop he was, he was an unproven Premiership striker at the time so I suppose your right

ANDYEAGLE
02-01-2005, 07:15 PM
I dont think Spurs paid that sort of fee for Zamora but since then there is less money around in the lower leaques. Cahill only cost Everton 1.5 million(lessthan we offered). Spurs offered 4million plus fro Reid only a year ago if it was offered now they would have their arm bitten off.
2.5 million is top money for a lower leaque player now. The only clubs who will pay more are likely to be Chelsea, Mn Utd, Arse who are unlikely to want any of these players anyway.

palace & proud
02-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Staying on that Zamora Convo:

Does anyone remember that palace forum took place that season when we stayed up vs Stockport?

Because that night of the forum someone asked Simon Jordon what about signing Bobby Zamora...SJ replyed he aint good enough for the 1st Division.

And now were in the premiership -signing him would be a joke.

If he cant get in the West Ham team now that says it all.

Phil O'Sophical
04-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Tottenham have also bid £2mn and been rejected

leekelly
04-01-2005, 07:17 PM
what you saying they want zamora back or are you on about ashton

ANDYEAGLE
04-01-2005, 07:24 PM
what you saying they want zamora back or are you on about ashton

I somehow think he means Ashton dont you? Ashton would be better of coming to us because he will be on the bench at Spurs. The problem is he would get a higher wage at spurs.

leekelly
04-01-2005, 07:26 PM
how many promising strikers have gone to spurs to fail though

pedro
04-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Chris Armstrong, teach him to think the grass would be greener. :D

lordanton
04-01-2005, 08:07 PM

Defoe, Robbie Keane and Sheringham you mean?

Oh and Klinsmann too :p

Tommy Pickle
04-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
it would be a big blow should he go to norwich.

Norwich can't afford Ashton.

sustainedbelief
04-01-2005, 09:27 PM
we dont need strikers!!!
we need a good left back.
a good midfielder (remember andy gray) that type of player!!
make that 2 midfielders.
i think the weak links are granville and watson.
from what i saw at the villa match anthough granville was very good i thought watson bottled tackles.
we need some bite alongside aki and hughes with a lot of flair and vision.
routledge is still young but my word isnt he gonna be fantastic!!!!
and ive always been a fan of torghelle.
we can do it for sure we just lack a little "finesse" which i beleive we are gonna have to pay a lot of money for. gonzalez still available?

sustainedbelief
04-01-2005, 09:29 PM
oh people you forgot that very good striker armstrong,
and i beleive andy gray went to spurs too.

maestro
04-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Nigel Worthington said today that his team cant afford him or Darren Bent, Spurs had a 2mill bid turned down

leekelly
05-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by lordanton
Defoe, Robbie Keane and Sheringham you mean?

Oh and Klinsmann too :p

I meant Zamora. Postiga Rebrov shall I carry on...............

Shipp Ahoy!
05-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Put in a £2.5-3million bid, I think he would be fantastic up front with AJ just the man we could do with. Depends of course on what Jordan want's to spend.

Jimbo ?
05-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by sustainedbelief
we dont need strikers!!!

we need a partner for Aj - some one else to score if he has a bad run of form or is injured. kaviades torghelle andrews freedman shipps are decent but dowie clearly isnt sure about them. we need 1 big signing up front to score goals.

Chris K
05-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Ashton? from Crewe? Blimey, never thought of him! Good call ;)

Raoul Duke
05-01-2005, 11:05 AM
sarcasm is the lowest form of wit ;)

Tommy Pickle
05-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Raoul Duke

funny tho.

EagleinOz
05-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Pickle
funny tho.

Oh yeah, bein sarcastics just simply hilarious, yeah ;)

Lords Eagle
05-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Raoul Duke

..."and the highest form of intelligence" I believe the saying goes.

Pooh Pooh head
05-01-2005, 01:50 PM
£4 million, I cant see it being that high.

Sleeping Giant
05-01-2005, 02:45 PM
[B]we dont need strikers!!!

:eek:

nomad
05-01-2005, 08:03 PM
we dont need strikers!!!
we need a good left back.
a good midfielder (remember andy gray) that type of player!!
make that 2 midfielders.
i think the weak links are granville and watson.
from what i saw at the villa match anthough granville was very good i thought watson bottled tackles.
we need some bite alongside aki and hughes with a lot of flair and vision.
routledge is still young but my word isnt he gonna be fantastic!!!!
and ive always been a fan of torghelle.
we can do it for sure we just lack a little "finesse" which i beleive we are gonna have to pay a lot of money for. gonzalez still available?

Agree with most of this apart from the fact that we do not need strikers. We have one striker of Premiership quality and I feel really sorry for AJ ploughing a loan furrow every week. As I gave said before, Torghelle has not proved he is up to it, Ventola is always injured, Freedman and Shipperley are not Premiership quality and Andrews reminds me of Akinbiyi. Who do you think is going to score goals if AJ is injured? Facts speak for themselves. He has more goals than the rest of the team put together.

Heb 7:4
06-01-2005, 11:20 AM
A Villa website is claiming a £2.25 million bid has been accepted.

Niceaction
06-01-2005, 11:24 AM
At £2.25m there should be a whole host of clubs queing up for him!

Heb 7:4
06-01-2005, 12:02 PM
After I posted this another message has appeared accusing the poster of being a wind-up merchant. Sorry, was genuinley trying to pass on information.

Villa site (http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=882&p=16&style=2&forumId=3146&action=1&replytoid=535672516)

Who Cares?
06-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Also on the Crewe website is a reference to Ashton's current fitness - the poster refers to a recent quote from Gradi saying that he (Gradi) cannot remember the last time Ashton did a full weeks training. As the poster says you can probably get away with 70/80% fitness in the Championship, but it might be more difficult in the Premiership.

Might explain the apparent lack of offers at this stage.

Justy C
06-01-2005, 05:15 PM
This 'he's not proven in the top flight' argument is getting a bit tiring.

So can people list forwards who a) are proven b) we have a realistic chance of signing (so that means you can't put Alan Shearer) and finally c) are not looking for one final payday (eg Les Ferdinand). We're going to have to take some gambles to attract the younger talent.

Clapham Grand mentioned somewhere that Ashton wants a bigger club and to stay in the north west - which is a big shame. I think Ashton could be the new Shearer.

Ron Dogers
06-01-2005, 05:19 PM
He could have been signed for a decent bid, say 2.5 mil in the summer I reckon rather than playing about with some of the people we have that even on frees cost money and wages.

CreweEagle v.3
06-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Who Cares?
Also on the Crewe website is a reference to Ashton's current fitness - the poster refers to a recent quote from Gradi saying that he (Gradi) cannot remember the last time Ashton did a full weeks training. As the poster says you can probably get away with 70/80% fitness in the Championship, but it might be more difficult in the Premiership.

Might explain the apparent lack of offers at this stage.

As a rule Gradi is very negative about all his players, also I would not believe a word he says anyway.

They haven't sold a player for a while so it must be on the cards, the feeling up here was Everton but with the Beattie move Spurs are favourites. Like I said in another thread Crewe & Ashton are going through a good spell at the moment but it won't last it never does. He is a good player in an average team, he can be a bit lazy and drifts in and out. Depends on the the fee I suppose,I think he would find it hard in the premership but he does have age on his side.

Who Cares?
06-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by CreweEagle v.3
As a rule Gradi is very negative about all his players, also I would not believe a word he says anyway.

They haven't sold a player for a while so it must be on the cards, the feeling up here was Everton but with the Beattie move Spurs are favourites. Like I said in another thread Crewe & Ashton are going through a good spell at the moment but it won't last it never does. He is a good player in an average team, he can be a bit lazy and drifts in and out. Depends on the the fee I suppose,I think he would find it hard in the premership but he does have age on his side.

And you say Gradi is negative?

CreweEagle v.3
06-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Who Cares?
And you say Gradi is negative?

Sorry try not too be just rubs off living up here!

kolinkins
06-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Chris Kamara, for all his faults, has an eye for spotting talent, especially in the Championship. From skysports.com, he has this to say about Ashton:

"Dean Ashton scored 20 goals last season and has already scored 19 in all competitions this campaign. I have had a few Premiership managers asking after Ashton and they all seem to have the same consensus: there is no question about his ability or finishing, but there are doubts about his work rate and his commitment to the team. "

The bit in bold could be one very good reason why we should not buy him.

Lion
06-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Or, Klinx, the reason we should sign him. There's nothing like Dowie and Harbin to improve someone's work rate - remember what the team was like pre-dowie to after he arrived.

kolinkins
06-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Lion
Or, Klinx, the reason we should sign him. There's nothing like Dowie and Harbin to improve someone's work rate - remember what the team was like pre-dowie to after he arrived.

shh, i am trying to warn other clubs off him

Lion
06-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
shh, i am trying to warn other clubs off him

Ooops, Sorry.

Nothing to see here, AShton is shit.

alaneagle
06-01-2005, 10:11 PM
does anyone how much ashton would cost?
i mean we woldn't want to pay tonnnes of money for a 20 year old without premiership exp. however he has had 17 goals

matthew
06-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful
He isn't coming to Palace.

Liverpool have a first refusal deal in place with Crewe and Iain Dowie himself has said his target in January is for 'established' players.

....or............AJ goes to liverpool. In turn, Liverpool waive option over Ashton. Palace are highest bidders. Ashton to Palace. Whole deal is conditional upon Ashton signing for Palace

I'm sorry if that offends anyone:) :moo:

alaneagle
06-01-2005, 10:25 PM
i dont think liverpool will go 4 aj and dowie WONT sellhim

matthew
06-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by alaneagle
i dont think liverpool will go 4 aj and dowie WONT sellhim

Nah nor do I.

Just thought i'd concoct a ridiculous scenario

Clapham Grand
07-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Crewe have accepted a bid from NORWICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.crewealex.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10414~610090,00.html

Clapham Grand
07-01-2005, 11:34 AM
and I thought they had no money to spend...

Bryan
07-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Bit of a double worry for us as I think he could turn it round for them.

eagles #1
07-01-2005, 11:38 AM
BOLLOCKS!!! quick ID counter attack!!

BW_Palace
07-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Damn, whilst I don't actually want him (well, there are better options) I feel he could turn it round for Norwich (like Bryan said) as they need a goalscorer.

ANDYEAGLE
07-01-2005, 11:39 AM
It just shows we could sign him and he doesnt want a bigger club like Spurs or Villa. Sorry to see we have missed out on him cant be for much more than 2 million plus. Hijack it ID.

Lion
07-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Hope we put in a bid now..

BW_Palace
He hasn't signed. Yet.

He's yet to discuss personal terms.

MasterYoda
Just round one in the bidding. Where we could fall down now if ID really wants him is how much the agent gets involved.

davematt
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Crewe have accepted a bid from NORWICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.crewealex.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10414~610090,00.html

CG, any chance of us hijacking it, or are Crewe just using Norwich as West Ham used us for Carrick to start a bidding war. We could easily beat Norwich to him. We could sell the club to him by just saying 'Come to Palace, and partner a future England International in attack. It will also give him the chance to be recognised.

AndyStreet
07-01-2005, 11:42 AM
This will be a big blow for us if he goes to Norwich, and I for one will be disappointed in us missing out on him.

Sussex Eagle
Feck. Though he's not my first choice unlike a lot of yuz, I'd much rather he was at Palace than Norwich.

Justy C
We have to try and get this lad if Crewe are willing to sell. Get in there ID/SJ.

eagles #1
Originally posted by davematt
CG, any chance of us hijacking it, or are Crewe just using Norwich as West Ham used us for Carrick to start a bidding war. We could easily beat Norwich to him. We could sell the club to him by just saying 'Come to Palace, and partner a future England International in attack. It will also give him the chance to be recognised. Hey you should be an agent ;)

BW_Palace
07-01-2005, 11:44 AM
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/transfernews.asp?type=article&id=248404

Norwich boss Nigel Worthington has had a bid for striker Dean Ashton accepted by Crewe.

The Canaries have been tracking the free-scoring centre forward for some time, but Worthington appeared to admit defeat earlier in the week when hinting the forward was out of their reach.

Worthington suggested that Spurs had entered the race for Ashton, but Tottenham revealed that their interest ended in the summer.

With Norwich seemingly the only bidders for Ashton, Crewe have accepted their proposal and The Canaries will now be free to talk to the 21-year-old.

A statement on Norwich's website has stated that Ashton is on his way to Carrow Road to discuss terms, which would appear to suggest that he is keen to seal a move to The Premiership.

Crewe boss Dario Gradi admits there could be a swift conclusion, as he said: "The ball is in his court and he might have even signed for them by the end of the day.

"But if he decides against it then he will play for us at Coventry tomorrow."

davematt
07-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Don't worry lads, we will be splashing out 2 million on West Ham hotshot Bobby Zamora :sob:

Daddy Long
07-01-2005, 11:51 AM
I would be surprised if Crewe hadn't got in touch with Palace already inviting us to match or better the offer, having turned down a bid from us in the summer. That being the case we must assume that either we are preparing a bid today or we have passed. We'll know soon enough. I must admit I am worried though. Norwich are a decent enough team and all they have been missing is a goal scorer. Bad news.

eagles #1
07-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Seriously though are we not interested?? Anyone got ID's phone number cos he might be on the training ground and hasnt realised what Norwich are up too.

davematt
07-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by eagles #1
Seriously though are we not interested?? Anyone got ID's phone number cos he might be on the training ground and hasnt realised what Norwich are up too.

He is probably on the coach going up to Sunderland. He may not be getting a good signal, especially if he's in the Midlands :(

st albans
07-01-2005, 11:57 AM

i;m sure ID knows exactly what is going on. personally i think that if we want him we could get him. at the end of the day it's a gamble, and maybe this time of the season isn't worth it

Pezzadoner
07-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I think he is a must! IMO him and AJ could stike up one of the best partnerships seen in years.

KevTheOptimist
07-01-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm shocked by this. I feel certain that Dowie can't be aware of this bid from Norwich or we would be straight in there.

How much is the bid though? If we aren't in then it may be because its for silly money but this is Norwich so I dont believe that

MasterYoda
07-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Does anybody seriously believe that ID, if interested, doesn't know.

If it's the case then Ashton needs a new agent.

st albans
07-01-2005, 12:00 PM
He is probably on the coach going up to Sunderland.

maybe a 'detour' is on the cards via crewe on the way up, especially if he's driving sperately to the rest of the team. could get in a trip to see his family as well while he's in the area

eagles #1
07-01-2005, 12:03 PM
I just cant believe that we had a bid rejected in the summer and now that one of our main rivals are going to offer him a contract we're not interested. I mean its hardly like he's flopped this season, he's the leading goalscorer in the CCC.

matthew
07-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Thought Liverpool had an option on him?

LLCOOLSTEVE
07-01-2005, 12:05 PM
cos he might be on the training ground and hasnt realised what Norwich are up too.

Dont be silly.

Johnson
07-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Wonder if we could afford to match the Norwich bid, as I thought Norwich only had 1.5 or 2 mill to spend

Officer Dibble
07-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Haven't Dowie and Jordan both said that he's overpriced ? Even if Norwich have had a bid accepted, our position on his value won't have changed.

BVB Bob
Personally I'm not sure Ashton should be a priority for us at the moment, given limited funds for transfers. However, whilst I'm not bothered if he goes to Villa/Spurs type of club, it would be disastrous for him to go to one of our relegation rivals. No doubting his quality & he could easily help turn round Norwich's season. I feel very uneasy about this situation now. Can we really afford to spend money simply to avoid our rivals picking up a good player?

KevTheOptimist
Originally posted by Johnson
Wonder if we could afford to match the Norwich bid, as I thought Norwich only had 1.5 or 2 mill to spend

No shit, when?

st albans
07-01-2005, 12:08 PM
2.5M or 3M surely isn't overpriced for what could end up with the perfect pairing up front for us (2 young hungry england potentials)

LLCOOLSTEVE
07-01-2005, 12:08 PM
He wont sign for Norwich.

st albans
07-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE

what if ther'e the only team in for him?

paulws
07-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Johnson

..his agent will have steered him towards Norwich for obvious reasons!

KevTheOptimist
07-01-2005, 12:10 PM
I dont think Norwich have that type of money available, I really dont. I think its a low bid which has been made public to arouse interest.

AndyStreet
07-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by BVB Bob
Can we really afford to spend money simply to avoid our rivals picking up a good player?

It could be the difference between staying up and going down. As Daddy Long said earlier on the thread, all Norwich look to have been lacking this season is a goalscorer. Given that they are not too far behind us anyway, them picking up a striker with the ability to score regularly could shake up the picture at the bottom of the table, given that it looks to be between 4 clubs now.

Daddy Long
07-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Ashton is a tricky one. He has talent but he alledgedly likes a drink on a regular basis. Perhaps that is why we won't pay too much for him - its a risk.

cpfcben
07-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Ashton in Norwich talks
by Alex Livie - Last Updated 7 Jan 2005
FA CUP COUPON
Place all your bets on the third round by clicking here.

Player profiles:
Dean Ashton
Team Pages:
Norwich City
Crewe AlexandraNorwich boss Nigel Worthington has had a bid for striker Dean Ashton accepted by Crewe.

The Canaries have been tracking the free-scoring centre forward for some time, but Worthington appeared to admit defeat earlier in the week when hinting the forward was out of their reach.

Worthington suggested that Spurs had entered the race for Ashton, but Tottenham revealed that their interest ended in the summer.

With Norwich seemingly the only bidders for Ashton, Crewe have accepted their proposal and The Canaries will now be free to talk to the 21-year-old.

A statement on Norwich's website has stated that Ashton is on his way to Carrow Road to discuss terms, which would appear to suggest that he is keen to seal a move to The Premiership.

Crewe boss Dario Gradi admits there could be a swift conclusion, as he said: "The ball is in his court and he might have even signed for them by the end of the day.

"But if he decides against it then he will play for us at Coventry tomorrow."

paulws
07-01-2005, 12:15 PM
CANARIES CLOSE TO ASHTON DEAL
Norwich are set to sign Crewe striker Dean Ashton after making a successful bid for the Coca-Cola Championship club's top scorer.

Crewe boss Dario Gradi has confirmed the 19-goal forward will head to Carrow Road for talks today after a written offer from the Canaries for the 21-year-old was accepted last night.

"The ball is in his court, and he might have even signed for them by the end of the day," Gradi told his club's official website, http://www.crewealex.co.uk.

If the move does not go through, however, Gradi confirmed Ashton will remain in his side for tomorrow's FA Cup third-round tie at Coventry

cpfcben
07-01-2005, 12:15 PM
http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/FirstNewsDetail/0,,10355~610121,00.html

KevTheOptimist
07-01-2005, 12:17 PM
I think this could have a big impact on the relegation zone. My Norwich mate does inform me that Liverpool are looking at Huckerby lol - not sure if there is any backing to this at all, may be in liverpool website

TheCharmer
07-01-2005, 12:18 PM
i m stunned by this, I hope Dowie s got something magical up his sleeve to soften the blow

LLCOOLSTEVE
07-01-2005, 12:19 PM
We wont be after the Russian geezer and Ashton.

AndyStreet
07-01-2005, 12:20 PM
I'd rather have Ashton than Bulykin to be honest.

st albans
07-01-2005, 12:20 PM
same here

Stellavista
07-01-2005, 12:22 PM
It all depends where Dowie's priorities lie.
Sure, another quality striker is a must, but I think he's more likely to spend the bulk of whatever money Jordan gives him on the left of defence and in midfield.

ANDYEAGLE
07-01-2005, 12:22 PM

Take Ashton anyday over the Rusky.

paulws
07-01-2005, 12:23 PM
why is everyone so nervous about a 19-year-old kid who has scored goals in the fizzydrinks? Strikers in the prem need experience IMO..

sydnsteve
07-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Very odd. I thought we had been watching him? As he has been scoring regularly I am amazed we didn't go for him. From what has been said on here, and what you can read, and also what has happened with Torghelle, I think Bulykin sounds much more of a risk than Ashton (change of country, culture etc). A very good move for Norwich IMO.

BW_Palace
07-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by paulws
why is everyone so nervous about a 19-year-old kid who has scored goals in the fizzydrinks? Strikers in the prem need experience IMO..

Isn't he about 22?

And AJ scored goals in the Coca Fizzy Pop League too...

sydnsteve

AJ ring any bells here?

Stellavista
I'm not too sure that this will increase Norwich's chances of avoiding the drop that much.
Rumour has it that Green is on his way to Arsenal, and, like Gabor for us, he has saved them valuable points, and still not managed to keep them out of the bottom three for long......

Jules
It only says Norwich have had their offer accepted by Crewe. Doesn't mean Ashton has any interest in going there.

We have to rely on Dowie's instincts here. If he doesn't want Ashton enough to outbid Norwich, and I believe we could afford to, then we can't get upset if he goes there. He is unproven at this level, so may be no great loss to us.

TheCharmer
07-01-2005, 12:26 PM
i don't understand it when people say we don't need another striker. AJ s done incredibly well, above all expectation. But after him, we ve got very little back up. So of course we need one more striker.

Pezzadoner
07-01-2005, 12:26 PM

Not to be picky but he's not 19 + AJ had no top flight experience.
AJ was the leading scorer in the then 1st Div as Ashton is now in the CCC.

Lords Eagle
07-01-2005, 12:27 PM

Does this mean you think that we're not after either or that we'd only be after one not the other?

st albans
07-01-2005, 12:27 PM

because he's quality, beacause he could go to a relegation rival. AJ has shown strikers in the prem don't need experience, as have rooney, and defoe. it's all about quality

hernehilleagle
07-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Very worrying - get in there SJ!

davematt
Originally posted by TheCharmer
i don't understand it when people say we don't need another striker. AJ s done incredibly well, above all expectation. But after him, we ve got very little back up. So of course we need one more striker.

We will also need to go with 4-4-2 in some home games as the season comes to a close, and we have no striker with any real quality to partner AJ.

ANDYEAGLE

Ashton is 21 and has the potential to perform at the highest level. We cant afford a proven premiership striker and I would rather take a risk with him than a highly paid Russian.

paulws
07-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace
Isn't he about 22?

And AJ scored goals in the Coca Fizzy Pop League too...

I stand corrected on the age..he's 21 and has scored 19 goals..still, bring on the Rusky anyway

..and in any case Aston IS NOT AJ! There's only one etc etc

TheCharmer
07-01-2005, 12:30 PM
We will also need to go with 4-4-2 in some home games as the season comes to a close, and we have no striker with any real quality to partner AJ.

Your right, and of course that s one of the reasons we ve been playing 451. Because there is no decent striker to put with AJ.

DANCOO
07-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Lets hope he turns out to be another Earnshaw.

The Vicar
07-01-2005, 12:32 PM

Hope you're right, but on what basis are you making the comment? Pint's on me if he doesn't.

whitey
07-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Ashton going to Norwich. BBc website

paulws
07-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by DANCOO
Lets hope he turns out to be another Earnshaw.

yeah, let's hope so..depending on the price, it's a big risk to spend all their dough on one player.

and if this sounds like sour grapes....

......it is

RDSdaEAGLE
07-01-2005, 12:33 PM
The reaction on here is so typical.

Justy C
07-01-2005, 12:35 PM

A quick look at his stats on the Crewe website shows that he is 21, from Swindon (I thought he was from the north west) and has the following stats in all competitions

Starts - 143
Sub appearances - 32
Goals - 68

He's young and very good and bang in form and is going to get better and better - thats why we should be in for him.

paulws
07-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
The reaction on here is so typical.

Specifically?

nottsunieagle
07-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Your right, and of course that s one of the reasons we ve been playing 451. Because there is no decent striker to put with AJ.

i believe that the reason we've been playing 451 is not that we don't have decent enough strikers to play with AJ, but instead that we simply don't have the quality in the middle of the park. a central midfielder has to be our overwhelming priority, although ashton would still be a good bet.

RDSdaEAGLE
07-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Specifically?

The panic that seems to have set in.

The same happened with Cissι, Reo Coker, Nowland etc.

I trust that Dowie knows what he's doing. He seems to have done ok so far. If Ashton doesn't sign then it'll be dissapointing, but it seems that some people wish to proclaim it to be the end of the world. Something it certainly won't be.

Fatman
07-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Thing is we don't have to outbid Norwich if we want him, just match their price...I'm pretty sure the lure of Dowie and our superior league position (albeit slight) would bring him to Selhurst

davematt
07-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Fatman
Thing is we don't have to outbid Norwich if we want him, just match their price...I'm pretty sure the lure of Dowie and our superior league position (albeit slight) would bring him to Selhurst

We could also offer Crewe a few decent players in exchange, Shaun Derry, Mark Hudson?

ANDYEAGLE
07-01-2005, 12:42 PM
The panic that seems to have set in.

The same happened with Cissι, Reo Coker, Nowland etc.

I trust that Dowie knows what he's doing. He seems to have done ok so far. If Ashton doesn't sign then it'll be dissapointing, but it seems that some people wish to proclaim it to be the end of the world. Something it certainly won't be.

The problem being we have possibly lost one of our main targets not to a Spurs or Everton but to Norwich who we should be able to compete with. Not the end of the world maybe but frustrating.

RDSdaEAGLE
07-01-2005, 12:44 PM
We could also offer Crewe a few decent players in exchange, Shaun Derry, Mark Hudson?

Crewe are even more strict about their wages than we are. I doubt very much that either of those two would fit into their wage structure.

RDSdaEAGLE
07-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
The problem being we have possibly lost one of our main targets not to a Spurs or Everton but to Norwich who we should be able to compete with. Not the end of the world maybe but frustrating.

How do we know he's a main target?!

Dowie wrote our chances of signing him off only a month or so ago, at the Q&A dinner.

zonin2000
07-01-2005, 12:45 PM
The reaction on here is so typical. Agreed.

Whenever I've seen Ashton play, he's looked class, and his goals to games ratio is impressive. But the things that I have been hearing recently about his workrate, commitment and partiality to the odd drink(ing binge) would worry me, if we were to sign him.

In any case, I'm delighted to report that I have total faith in the management team at Selhurst.

LLCOOLSTEVE
07-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE

So just sign him so Norwich dont get him? Im fairly certain he'll turn Norwich down, if he does sign for them it would show a huge lack of ambition.

paulws
07-01-2005, 12:47 PM
spot-on, RDS..I thought that's what you meant..just checking! Why does everyone think Dowie has a divine right to sign decent players who come on the market (we all know the constraints SJ imposes on him what with agents fees, wages etc). And to be perfectly honest, suppose he did chase Ashton and the lad had to choose between the two clubs...why Palace? Not exactly setting the league alight either, are we?
I know it's easy to get optimistic again after a victory, but surely we looked like a half-decent side at times against Villa? Have faith..ID will do whatever he can, within the above-mentioned constraints, to make sure we give survival a good go! Let Naaarch have the boy..we have AJ!

Young Trolley
07-01-2005, 12:48 PM
All rather odd, seems Norwich had a £1.75 million offer rejected a few days ago, after which Worthington came out and said they had no chance of signing him as offers of £2 million had already been knocked back by other clubs which in itself was out of their price range, what's changed?:eek:

Ashton (http://www.fansfc.com/speculation_news.asp?sid=2997&fcid=)

Gooders
07-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm really not bothered either way.

Plinton
07-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Radio 5 say Norwich have got him so thats that.

selhurstparkflyer
07-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Gooders

If our closest rivals for relegation have signed a proven goalscorer- which they have badly lacked- that cannot be good, can it?

The Vicar
07-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Gooders

I'm not bothered either, except if we don't get in 1 or 2 quality centre mids and a left back.

selhurstparkflyer
07-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Plinton
Radio 5 say Norwich have got him so thats that.

So is Ceefax- Dario Gradi is off to Crarow Road now to discuss the details. To quote him; 'Ashton could be a Norwich player tonight'.

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by selhurstparkflyer
If our closest rivals for relegation have signed a proven goalscorer- which they have badly lacked- that cannot be good, can it?

He's not proven though, is he.

Darren Huckerby looked the dogs in division one, but has done absolutely nothing in the prem.

Ashton is unproven and is a gamble for whoever signs him, if Norwich are banking on him to doing for them what AJ does for us, then I feel that they are barking up the wrong tree.

Bulykin is a better more established player, and I trust Dowie's judgement to the hilt.

KennyB
07-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Young Trolley
All rather odd, seems Norwich had a £1.75 million offer rejected a few days ago, after which Worthington came out and said they had no chance of signing him as offers of £2 million had already been knocked back by other clubs which in itself was out of their price range, what's changed?:eek:

Ashton (http://www.fansfc.com/speculation_news.asp?sid=2997&fcid=)

On an aside, did you see the poll to the right of the little write-up on Ashton? It would appear AJ is more highly rated than Henry, VanHorseroy or Shearer !!

ANDYEAGLE
07-01-2005, 12:56 PM
a

mr_teen82
07-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Would be disappointed in Naarwich got him - as he would be worth a gamble - he's young and gifted

But it itsn't Palace's weakness - we need defenders and midfielders

igl
07-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace

Bulykin is a better more established player, and I trust Dowie's judgement to the hilt.

Whilst I'm not overly bothered about Ashton, I would have to disagree with this statement. The transfer market is one area in which ID can and must improve. We have so far had Kaviedes and Torghelle as hopeful partners to AJ, and who have not done it. There is no point looking to the future right now - we must look to the current and get someone in that will help keep us in the prem.

selhurstparkflyer
07-01-2005, 01:04 PM

Darren Huckerby looked the dogs in division one, but has done absolutely nothing in the prem.

Ashton is unproven and is a gamble for whoever signs him, if Norwich are banking on him to doing for them what AJ does for us, then I feel that they are barking up the wrong tree.

I accept all you say.

However, Norwich, with no goalscorer are but two points away from us. I would be much happier if their number 1 target (however lowly rated he may be) went to Spurs.

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by igl
Whilst I'm not overly bothered about Ashton, I would have to disagree with this statement. The transfer market is one area in which ID can and must improve. We have so far had Kaviedes and Torghelle as hopeful partners to AJ, and who have not done it. There is no point looking to the future right now - we must look to the current and get someone in that will help keep us in the prem.

We haven't used Torghelle as AJ's partner regularly, because we have played a rigid 4-5-1 formation. Who's to say that if given the chance, Sanyi couldn't prove to be a good partner for AJ? He has looked pretty promising when he has partnered him.

I'm not doubting that Ashton has promise and I'm not doubting that he COULD be brilliant, but at the end of the day, I trust our manager's judgement.

Anyway, I expect there to be more to this story, I can't believe that Norwich are the only club that has a serious interest in him. I expect a Spurs or a Man City or maybe even us to come in with an offer for him.

TheCharmer
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by nottsunieagle
i believe that the reason we've been playing 451 is not that we don't have decent enough strikers to play with AJ, but instead that we simply don't have the quality in the middle of the park. a central midfielder has to be our overwhelming priority, although ashton would still be a good bet.

I said one of the reasons, the extra body in the centre of the back obviously helps. But i do stand by my point, we don't have a Premiership striker in our ranks apart from AJ, and Ashton would seem a better punt than what we have. On top of the fact one of our rivals might get him, doubles that disappointment.

BW_Palace
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by KennyB
On an aside, did you see the poll to the right of the little write-up on Ashton? It would appear AJ is more highly rated than Henry, VanHorseroy or Shearer !!

That was because loads of us on the BBS were mass-voting. :D

Malakite
07-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Gutted Naaawich have him, it gives them a glimmer of hope now :rolleyes:

Young Towser
07-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Midfielders & Defenders for me as well - isn't Ventola back in about 4 weeks & from what I've seen he looks to be a good player - still annoying that it is Norwich who are taking the risk though.

CPFC Town
07-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Norwich have had a bid accepted: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/4154655.stm

More news from bbc site.

If he goes to norwich let him. Its a gamble.

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 01:09 PM
I accept all you say.

However, Norwich, with no goalscorer are but two points away from us. I would be much happier if their number 1 target (however lowly rated he may be) went to Spurs.

Like I say, I don't rule that out. There will be more to this story, mark my words.

Did having talks with Tim Cahill mean that we got him? Ashton may be using Norwich as bait, inmuch the same way we were used as bait by that ••••••.

As for your comments about Norwich, they do have a problem with scoring goals and you are suggesting thast by solving that with Ashton, it may well keep them up. Well we have no trouble scoring goals, but we need to tighten up in midfield. If we bring in the required midfield quality, we will still finish above Norwich, regardless of who they bring in.

SKATE
07-01-2005, 01:10 PM
This must be gambol for Norwich. For every AJ, there is an Earnshaw or an Akinbiyi. It remains to be seen which way Ashton's cookie crumbles. Joining a team in relegation trouble and having very very high expectations on his shoulders may be a bit too much pressure - especially if the chap likes a drink!

cpfc_spc1982
07-01-2005, 01:11 PM
that would be bad news losing what was/is a target and a player who could make an impact to a rival. esepcially if they are offering the same as what we offered in the summer.

eagles #1
07-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Hang on a minute, a few people are saying they'd rather have Bulykin, but are we actually in with a chance of getting the Rusky?

TheCharmer
07-01-2005, 01:13 PM
isn't all this talk about Ashton liking a drink slightly hypocritical? Won't most people on here saying "Go on my son,' when that picture of AJ came out the other day.

And who know s he like s a drink? It hasn't stopped him scoring 20 goals in the Championship.

I think it s a opportunity missed....

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Hang on a minute, a few people are saying they'd rather have Bulykin, but are we actually in with a chance of getting the Rusky?

We've been given permission to talk to him, so I guess we have as much chance of getting him as Norwich have of getting Ashton.

eagles #1
07-01-2005, 01:17 PM
We've been given permission to talk to him, so I guess we have as much chance of getting him as Norwich have of getting Ashton. Ok cheers mate.

SKATE
07-01-2005, 01:19 PM
isn't all this talk about Ashton liking a drink slightly hypocritical? Won't most people on here saying "Go on my son,' when that picture of AJ came out the other day.

Probably - we're just clutching at straws that might indicate he'll be useless for them ;)

EagleinOz
07-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know how much the bid is? Apologies if been mentioned elsewhere

zonin2000
07-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by SKATE
Probably - we're just clutching at straws that might indicate he'll be useless for them ;)

Precisely :). :sob:.

KungFuCharlie
07-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Gutted. After all this talk and we let him go to Norwich, who have even less money than we do. And how on earth is it a gamble for them? Its a gamble for Ashton, but if Norwich stay up or go down, they've still signed the best forward outside the Prem. What IS a gambl is signing a Russian international, presumably on high wages, that the manager of an established Prem side said had become 'too expensive'. That my friends, is a gamble.

brighton_eagle
07-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Come on Dowie, let's hijack the Norwich bid and grab Ashton....

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by KungFuCharlie
Gutted. After all this talk and we let him go to Norwich, who have even less money than we do. And how on earth is it a gamble for them? Its a gamble for Ashton, but if Norwich stay up or go down, they've still signed the best forward outside the Prem. What IS a gambl is signing a Russian international, presumably on high wages, that the manager of an established Prem side said had become 'too expensive'. That my friends, is a gamble.

But he is a player who has scored goals in Euro 2004 and has attracted Sam Allardyce (he wanted him on loan, but I believe that only Palace were prepared to sign him on a permenent contract) whp is generally a good judge of character.

Apparently Norwich have agreed to pay 2 million for Ashton, plus 500k if they stay up. That is certainly their entire transfer budget, so they are putting all their eggs in one basket.

I still think that he won't sign for them though, bigger clubs than Norwich will be waiting in the wings and he will be aware of that.

brighton_eagle
07-01-2005, 01:37 PM
2 million for Ashton is a good deal IF Norwich can pull it off.

RDSdaEAGLE
Originally posted by KungFuCharlie

BUT...

The only talking that has happened is amongst Palace FANS...not the club, not the management, not the staff or the players. JUST the fans. Which therefor implies that there's little authority or substance to any of the rumours.

Dowie said we wouldn't be signing Ashton. As soon as he said that, the speculation ended for me. Yet people continued to place so much emphasis on his "rumoured" signing.

The only people who are dissapointed are those who set themselves up for a fall. I'm sure that Dowie isn't remotely bothered about it. They've signed a goal scorer from the first division. But for every Andy Johnson, there are two Ade Akinbiyi's.

West Brom thought they had signed the messiah when Earnshaw was bought. Proven at lower level, totally unproven at this level.

BW_Palace
Just heard from a Norwich fan that (apparently) Paul McVeigh is going the other way to Crewe as part of the deal.

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 01:41 PM
BUT...

The only talking that has happened is amongst Palace FANS...not the club, not the management, not the staff or the players. JUST the fans. Which therefor implies that there's little authority or substance to any of the rumours.

Dowie said we wouldn't be signing Ashton. As soon as he said that, the speculation ended for me. Yet people continued to place so much emphasis on his "rumoured" signing.

The only people who are dissapointed are those who set themselves up for a fall. I'm sure that Dowie isn't remotely bothered about it. They've signed a goal scorer from the first division. But for every Andy Johnson, there are two Ade Akinbiyi's.

West Brom thought they had signed the messiah when Earnshaw was bought. Proven at lower level, totally unproven at this level.

Well said RDS, my thoughts 100%

PalaceMonkey
07-01-2005, 01:44 PM
there are two Ade Akinbiyi's.

please god no!!

GUCCI Eagle
07-01-2005, 01:51 PM
It would be a big problem if Norwich were to get Ashton. Their big problem is that they have no cutting edge. Might be worth trying to gazump them just to make sure they don't get a quality striker (or push the price up)

eagles #1
07-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Ive calmed down abit. We've just (apparently) signed Richie Byrne. Thats us sorted.

TheCharmer
BUT...

Dowie said we wouldn't be signing Ashton. As soon as he said that, the speculation ended for me. .

But Dowie s hardly going to say i m after Ashton is he? As that could lead to the price being driven up?

And at this Q & A session, what was the reason he said he wasn't interested in Ashton?

palace & proud
Its a shame we never got him. I reckon he would of linked up well with AJ.Ashton will Prob get the taste of the Premier but not for long.As he be back were he started in the Championship :D

st albans
07-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Its a shame we never got him. I reckon he would of linked up well with AJ.Ashton will Prob get the taste of the Premier but not for long.As he be back were he started in the Championship :D

oh so it's done and dusted is it? that's it norwich are having talks, which can mean only one thing, he's definately signing for them

AndyStreet
BUT...

Dowie saw fit to bid for Ashton in the summer. The only grounds on which he ruled out Ashton a few weeks back was based on the overpricing in the British market yet I cannot for one minute belief that Norwich have financial clout above and beyond ours.

Nobody is suggesting that Ashton would be some sort of messianic saviour, yet our over-reliance on AJ is inescapable. Should the unthinkable occur and he incurs an injury we are ••••ed big time. We currently have one player in our entire squad who looks like getting goals; our midfield aren't pulling their weight in this department and none of our strikers (AJ aside) look to be capable of hitting proverbial barn-doors with shovels. Ashton looks to me to be an immense talent, and given our interest in the summer and Dowie's apparent acceptance that we have a desperate need for quality strikers I will find it mystifying if we don't at least make an attempt to hijack Norwich's bid. This is an exceptional case, and quite different from the cited Cisse and Nowlands deals, given that Norwich are currently 1 place and 2 points behind us in spite of not having one quality goalscorer. AJ's 13 goals so far have put us where we are, but we may find ourselves overreliant on him unless we are to sign another class striker, and more importantly should Norwich sign a player capable of even putting away 7 or 8 goals before the end of the season they could conceivably pull themselves clear.

bkcbongo
Originally posted by igl

couldnt agree more. Dowie's the best up and coming manager in Britain right now, but our transfer dealings have been pretty poor, be it through SJ's interventions or whatever.

Sandor, Ventola, Kaviedes, and should I even mention Speroni have hardly set the Prem alight so far, have they? And i havent been that impressed with sandor on the whole (although his last couple of appearances have been better), it seems to me that the reason he hasnt played so far has been less because of Dowie wanting to stick rigidly to 451 but because dowie didnt think he was ready or up to the job yet.

I think Ashton would have been a good gamble. He's doing the business in the CC, and we've seen with AJ that that can be transfered to the higher level with the right player and the right management. The Rusky cant really be classed as any more experienced in the Premiership than Ashton, so hows he gonna give us more of an immediate impact?

maestro
07-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Really pissed of at this, alwaqys said that our chances of staying up depend upon the quality of players we bring in compared to the other teams down there. Norwich are a much better passing side than us and with a goalscorer i think they'll have an excellent chance of staying up.

If they can afford him so can we, instead we go for some dodgy russian crap

Icy
07-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Why does everyone keep droning on about Dean Ashton. Theres been tons of Div 1 players with good goalscoring records that have done •••• all in the prem. He's not the sort of striker we need at all either. Let Norwich waste thier whole transfer fund on him, who gives a ••••!

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bkcbongo
couldnt agree more. Dowie's the best up and coming manager in Britain right now, but our transfer dealings have been pretty poor, be it through SJ's interventions or whatever.

Sandor, Ventola, Kaviedes, and should I even mention Speroni have hardly set the Prem alight so far, have they? And i havent been that impressed with sandor on the whole (although his last couple of appearances have been better), it seems to me that the reason he hasnt played so far has been less because of Dowie wanting to stick rigidly to 451 but because dowie didnt think he was ready or up to the job yet.

I think Ashton would have been a good gamble. He's doing the business in the CC, and we've seen with AJ that that can be transfered to the higher level with the right player and the right management. The Rusky cant really be classed as any more experienced in the Premiership than Ashton, so hows he gonna give us more of an immediate impact?

Rusky has played in contionental football and scored goals, and has played in Euro 2004, and looked excellent, and also scored against the winners of the competition.

How can you compare this to a player who has scored goals against Gillingham and Rotherham?

Ashton is a monumental gamble, and will not do an AJ for them. He doesn't have the drive and determination that makes AJ the player he is.

Twin of Droy
07-01-2005, 02:17 PM
A young striker signing for a new club record transfer fee, expected to score the goals to keep them up, a lot of pressure there. Strikers need confidence, if he fails to score for Naaaarwich early in his career he could flop.
With Palace he would not have had this burden because AJ would be up there with him.

Icy
07-01-2005, 02:21 PM
He's not the type of player AJ needs next to him, he'd just be in the way. AJ needs a prem quality version of Shipps

palace & proud
07-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by st albans
oh so it's done and dusted is it? that's it norwich are having talks,

Who's likely to sign him Palace Or Norwich.Thats sums it up.

Simon A
07-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by SKATE
This must be gambol for Norwich. For every AJ, there is an Earnshaw or an Akinbiyi.

or a Zamora :D

st albans
07-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Who's likely to sign him Palace Or Norwich.Thats sums it up.

not sure what you're summing up. are you saying norwich or us would have more chance of signing him?

bkcbongo
07-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Rusky has played in contionental football and scored goals, and has played in Euro 2004, and looked excellent, and also scored against the winners of the competition.

How can you compare this to a player who has scored goals against Gillingham and Rotherham?

Ashton is a monumental gamble, and will not do an AJ for them. He doesn't have the drive and determination that makes AJ the player he is.

I'm not going to claim to know that much about him, have only ever seen him play a couple of times and dont remember that much about it, but I've been told he's pretty good. my point is that when Dowie talks about players having experience and making an immediate impact, then he's got no more experience in the Prem than Ashton. Ashton might well struggle, but we've all seen how talented foreigners can struggle to adapt to the style of the Premiership, so I see him as just as much of a gamble as Ashton would have been.

nicky
07-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Of course any player from a lower division is a gamble. But as gambles go the odds of Dean Ashton making it are pretty much as high as you can get.

He's got an excellent goalscoring records who also contributes a lot to the team as a target man, and has played for England at U-18,19,20 and U-21 levels.

He is a far better player than Zamora, Earnshaw or Akinbiyi.

I doubt Ashton will keep Norwich up. But if they go down theyll either 1) be able to sell him on for a proft or 2) have a 25+ goal stiker in next years promotion campaign.

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm not going to claim to know that much about him, have only ever seen him play a couple of times and dont remember that much about it, but I've been told he's pretty good. my point is that when Dowie talks about players having experience and making an immediate impact, then he's got no more experience in the Prem than Ashton. Ashton might well struggle, but we've all seen how talented foreigners can struggle to adapt to the style of the Premiership, so I see him as just as much of a gamble as Ashton would have been.

I have heard several things about Ashton's lack of work rate and weak mental character, these are traits that we certainly don't want in a player.

From what I know about this Russian guy, he is highly thought of and is a winner, these are qualities that we desperately need.

Besides, Sam Allardyce isn't a bad judge of character and still wants to get this guy in. That says something for sure about the lad.

CreweEagle v.3
07-01-2005, 03:28 PM
He's young and a good fizzy league player so one for the future for Norwich then as that's where they will end up !

bkcbongo
07-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Besides, Sam Allardyce isn't a bad judge of character and still wants to get this guy in. That says something for sure about the lad.

Cant argue with that - its usually a good sign if Big Sam's sniffing about!:D

Tommy Pickle
07-01-2005, 04:08 PM
BUT...

Nigel Worthington said he wouldn't be signing Ashton either, and that was only a few days ago.

Icy
07-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Dowie isnt the type to be dishonest. He's always been upfront about potential signings if questioned.

Tommy Pickle
07-01-2005, 04:22 PM

Sandor, Ventola, Kaviedes, and should I even mention Speroni have hardly set the Prem alight so far, have they?......

We payed £750,000 for Sandor, and Roma apparently value him closer to £2m. You put this is down to poor transfer dealings?

If you feel that Ventola and Kaviedes haven't done much it's just as well they are only on loan. IMO it is remarkable that either Ventola or Kaviedes came to Palace in the first place, and i now think its even better that they only came on loan.

Icy
07-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Sandor could be a great signing if he stopped diving. His problems at the moment are all mental.

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Nigel Worthington said he wouldn't be signing Ashton either, and that was only a few days ago.

I think there may be more to this than meets the eye.

I recall Dowie saying that we wern't interested as Crewe wanted 3 million plus for him, but then they agree to sell to Norwich for a lesser price.

I wonder if Dario Gradi just didn't want to see him come to Palace, as he does seem to have something personal against us.

Gooders
07-01-2005, 04:37 PM

It's a gamble.

I don't think we can afford gambles.

bkcbongo
07-01-2005, 05:33 PM
We payed £750,000 for Sandor, and Roma apparently value him closer to £2m. You put this is down to poor transfer dealings?

If you feel that Ventola and Kaviedes haven't done much it's just as well they are only on loan. IMO it is remarkable that either Ventola or Kaviedes came to Palace in the first place, and i now think its even better that they only came on loan.

Roma 'apparently' value him at £2m.... I'd only believe it if they paid us that for him!

as for Ventola and Kaviedes, Dowie was absoultely right to get them on loan - just a shame that they didnt prove to be the right players. actually, i was well up for Ventola's signing so hopefuly he can come good when they superglue his legs back together!

BW_Palace
07-01-2005, 05:39 PM
I think there may be more to this than meets the eye.

I recall Dowie saying that we wern't interested as Crewe wanted 3 million plus for him, but then they agree to sell to Norwich for a lesser price.

I wonder if Dario Gradi just didn't want to see him come to Palace, as he does seem to have something personal against us.

Would he really sacrifice 1m or so just to get one over us though?..

ANDYEAGLE
07-01-2005, 05:40 PM

Where did this 2million valuation come from? If Roma offered us our money back 750k we would snap their arms off. Kaviedes has been a waste of time but only a loan signing. Still got hopes for Ventola should be back hopefully by the end of the month.

Clapham Grand
07-01-2005, 06:09 PM
personal terms agreed

07-01-2005, 06:10 PM
C**T

zonin2000
07-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Darn it.

I've been pretending I that I don't care.

cpfc_spc1982
07-01-2005, 06:17 PM
very annoying . great business by norwich and worthington if it goes through.

BW_Palace
07-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Doesn't matter guys, he's not so good anyway.

:sob:

zonin2000
07-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Do you have any good news for us CG? :(

Have we signed Corradi yet?! :)

zonin2000
07-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Repeat after me:

We have AJ. We have AJ. We have AJ. We have AJ. We have AJ. We have AJ. We have AJ. We have AJ. We have AJ. We have AJ...

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Well he's gone, so at least we can put to bed all this "I think Palace should sign Dean Ashton" rubbish to bed.

I stand by the reservations I have about the player, he has a lot of promise but at 2 million would have represented a very large risk for Palace. I also think that even had we still wanted him we wouldn't have got him, as Gradi has some bizarre grudge against Palace.

c_block_lad
07-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Gradi has confirmed, "Palace showed a intrest in him (Ashton)."

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace
Would he really sacrifice 1m or so just to get one over us though?..

I thought that we made a 2 million bid for him in the summer, only for Gradi to demand a ridiculous price for him.

So yes that does seem to be the case.

zonin2000
07-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Gradi has confirmed, "Palace showed a intrest in him (Ashton)." But at the same time, he revealed that Norwich were the first club to actually submit a transfer bid. Sounds like quite a few clubs have been sniffing around, but none have been bold enough to put a bid in.

07-01-2005, 08:11 PM
I thought that we made a 2 million bid for him in the summer, only for Gradi to demand a ridiculous price for him.

So yes that does seem to be the case.

maybe he feared he may of left on a free and wanted to cash in on him.

Lion
07-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
personal terms agreed

No they are not - it was stated on 5 Live that the deal was done and terms were agreed, however they were wrong, and have gone back on this.

The personal terms are on the table - nothing else will happen tonight and he will go and think about them rather than be rushed into it.

I expect another club to have an offer accepted tomorrow if he doesn't sign today, as I know at least one club that has submitted an offer to Crewe, but are yet to have it accepted. (not us, btw).

Norwich will either have to act fast to give him what he wants, or he will have the chance to sign elsewhere.

ANDYEAGLE
07-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by gull_palace1
maybe he feared he may of left on a free and wanted to cash in on him.

Ashton is not out of contract at the end of the season.

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 08:37 PM
No they are not - it was stated on 5 Live that the deal was done and terms were agreed, however they were wrong, and have gone back on this.

The personal terms are on the table - nothing else will happen tonight and he will go and think about them rather than be rushed into it.

I expect another club to have an offer accepted tomorrow if he doesn't sign today, as I know at least one club that has submitted an offer to Crewe, but are yet to have it accepted. (not us, btw).

Norwich will either have to act fast to give him what he wants, or he will have the chance to sign elsewhere.

Really? Intersting ....

Care to share the identity of this other club, Lion?

Lion
07-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Really? Intersting ....

Care to share the identity of this other club, Lion?

It's no secret as it's been posted already, however Spurs have submitted an offer in the region of 2.5m. A friend of mine is a journalist and is writing a story on it, however it'll be a bit of a non-story if Ashton decides to sign for Norwich before hand.

Whilst I can't say for certain if Ashton knows about the interest, I expect his agent has told him to hold off until the other offers are discussed and accepted / rejected, and this could be why he is yet to agree to the move.

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 08:47 PM
It's no secret as it's been posted already, however Spurs have submitted an offer in the region of 2.5m. A friend of mine is a journalist and is writing a story on it, however it'll be a bit of a non-story if Ashton decides to sign for Norwich before hand.

Whilst I can't say for certain if Ashton knows about the interest, I expect his agent has told him to hold off until the other offers are discussed and accepted / rejected, and this could be why he is yet to agree to the move.

Now I have no love for Spurs and also have nothing against Norwich, but I really do hope that Spurs come in and snatch him from under their noses. I've been reading constant crowing from Norwich fans all day, which has been most irritating, and have also would be unhappy to see them gain a player of his potential.

So come on Dean and Spurs, you know that you're right for each other :o

zonin2000
07-01-2005, 08:59 PM

Whilst I can't say for certain if Ashton knows about the interest, I expect his agent has told him to hold off until the other offers are discussed and accepted / rejected, and this could be why he is yet to agree to the move. I've heard a lot about this rumour, but the above is the most detail I've seen so far. Would be interesting, if true. Assuming that it is, might it add credence to the Kanoute to Barca rumour? Probably not, but interesting nonetheless.

Lion
07-01-2005, 08:59 PM
http://new.pinkun.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=63&MessageID=77901

Seems he left at 6pm.

pedro
07-01-2005, 10:06 PM
I would be surprised if this move did happen as it is touch and go as to whether Norwich are actually a bigger club status wise than Crewe, there is not much in it if you ask me. :D

Jay_Palace
07-01-2005, 10:11 PM
http://new.pinkun.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=63&MessageID=77901

Seems he left at 6pm.

Does this ring any bells, visa ve Tim Cahill?

I have a feeling that he won't sign for Norwich, they would have wanted to have got his signiture before he left and this hasn't happened.

Lion
07-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Does this ring any bells, visa ve Tim Cahill?

I have a feeling that he won't sign for Norwich, they would have wanted to have got his signiture before he left and this hasn't happened.

I agree, could well happen, but it's starting to look more and more like it won't.