PDA

View Full Version : popovic and granville

SARN
01-01-2005, 08:35 PM
basically i cant believe there even considered to be in the palace team. they are an absolute waste of space. granville dont want to know and his contracts up at the end of the season. he doesnt want to sign so just tell him to f*ck off!! flog him and get a fee and buy another left back. popovic is laughable. he is so slow and just isnt at the pace of the premiership. andy cole was running rings round him 2day and he's 32!!! he panics when he's on the ball and for me is jus past it now. if sorondo's out why not play hudson or even boyce because popovic is way past it now and it was clear today at fulham.

Iain Dowie
01-01-2005, 08:41 PM
I agree,Pops is a championship player,hes slow and isn't premiership worthy.Whilst Granville is a good player i think.But if he don't want to sign a new contract then he can f*** off and find some other club to join.If he does join anutha club he'd be on the bench.

Ryan_the_eagle
01-01-2005, 08:46 PM
granvilles ok but if he wants to leave thats his choice. But id rather play hudson than pop.

atillio
01-01-2005, 08:50 PM
was very depressing watching that second half... popovic's performance was summed up when he tried to take a quick free kick on the edge of our penalty area and passed the ball straight to a fulham player 7 or so yards away.

i thought all off the back four were poor, with buts being the best of a bad lot. Pops really was dreadfull - that second hald display wouldnt have been good enough for brightons reserves let alone the prem.
with granville i kept having to remind myself that he will be replaced soon - a very depressing performance
someone please teach fitz how to pass.

At times our best defender was Aki - feel that the amount of times he tracked back saved our bacon was fantastic, and i genuinely am gutted that i accused him of a player only good enough for div 1.

hughsaaaay
01-01-2005, 08:53 PM
The fact is that Poppa gets the worst out of his teamates, especially his fellow defenders who he is supposed to be organising - how much pressure does he put the team under not just with his shocking performences but by not calling out his defence (after corners etc.)
Look at the difference in terms of performances of Butterfield, Fitz and Granville when playing with Sorondo.
Hudson , Powell - the real forgotten man (not Shipps) or Boyce would all have been better bets at centre back today IMO.

Ryan_the_eagle
01-01-2005, 08:55 PM
yer does anyone know why he took of aki? is than an injury?

lordanton
01-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Sorondo please be fit. If not, i agree with Powell or Boyce. Not sure of Hudson yet has looked a bit suspect.

Pops looked good in fizzy pop land, but i know i'd be nervous playing alongside him.

palace & proud
02-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Iain Dowie
Pops is a championship player,hes slow and isn't premiership .

Totally Agree.:)

eagles #1
02-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Unfortunately Popovic is terrible at Premiership level. He's so slow its painful. Badly missed the composure of Sorondo at the back today. Would have picked any other defender ahead of Popo but then im not Iain Dowie!

maestro
02-01-2005, 12:58 AM
I totally agree with above, just watched the highlights and it was painfull to watch pops try and defend, hes so slow that all a player has to do is knock it to one side and hes free

limited_edition
02-01-2005, 01:04 AM
If Pops leads the team out on Monday, I will rapidly lose the will to live. You might as well give the opposition a goal start.

mik59
02-01-2005, 01:24 AM
I 2 have just watched highlights. Said 2 mates while ago that Pops is not just slow of foot but slow of thought and MotD proved it, if being at game didn't quite 'cos had head in hands too much. Embarrassing. Comic. Stop it!!!

cpfc_connection
02-01-2005, 01:32 AM
Popovic is a donkey. He is slow on the ground and not accurate with any passes. How many times can one man misjudge the flight of a ball while its in the air? How many times can one player pass the ball back to the keeper? How many goals have been conceeded from our left side? And just think what Jermaine Defoe would have done to Popovic if he had played at White Hart Lane.
When rumours of Cardiff City showing interest in him emerged, i think Dowie should have a) investigated to see if the interest was real and then proceed from there or, b) Popovic should have been the defender to be loaned out to West ham (or other coca cola teams) instead of Darren Powell.

Boyce, Leigertwood, Hudson and Powell can all play centre half. Dowie has even experimented with play Aki at centre half. Like limited_edition, i will be amazed if Popovic plays against Villa. Sorondo will obviously be my first choice to line up alongside Fitz Hall but if that is not possible then one of the forementioned names should come in well before Popovic.

As for Danny Dranville, he knows he is on the way out. Dowie's interest in finding a new left back has been well documented in the press and on these boads. However, unlike at centre half, there are not many options for replacement. There is Gary Borrowdale but i dont think he has appeared on the subs bench once this season so who knows? We will find out soon because Granville (and Hughes) are on 4 yellow cards so Dowie may be forced into a change around, quicker than he wants.

Sussex Eagle
02-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Oh dear. I just saw the highlights. I take back my general support for Popa. Leigertwood & Powell, maybe even Hudson must go ahead of him in the pecking order after that.

matteagle312
02-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Popovic really gets the worst out of Hall. No other player could do that. I think he should get the next plane back to Oz and find a club there.

honeysuckle
02-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Its absolutely ridiculous blaming one player for a defeat. Its a team game!

I was at Craven Cottage and Pops didn't look the worst Palace player. The highlights distorted his performance. The last half hour was abject and to the ill informed individual who seems to regard Cole as a has been he was terrific yesterday.

cpfc_spc1982
02-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by honeysuckle
Its absolutely ridiculous blaming one player for a defeat. Its a team game!

I was at Craven Cottage and Pops didn't look the worst Palace player. The highlights distorted his performance. The last half hour was abject and to the ill informed individual who seems to regard Cole as a has been he was terrific yesterday.

who was worse?
popovic followed by hall.

Celestial Empire
02-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Popo is OK as long as his head is focussed (certainly wasn't yesterday), and as long as he doesn't have big attacking players running at him, (he did yesterday). However, for a team with long-term Prem ambitions (are we really that ?), he is at best a stop-gap. Granville also has his well-known limitations, but has played up to his potential recently - i.e. quite well. Yesterday, the whole defence just collapsed after the second Fulham goal (Pops most at fault), it was just like the Everton game.

I don't like ID "raging at the ref" - do we need the other side to have a player sent off to have a chance ?? I think he's trying to cover up his own mistakes : poor preparation, poor selection (Boyce was our best player against Fulham at SP, he has the size, strength and speed to compete with Boa Morte, Cole and Diop).

Iain Dowie
02-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Totally Agree.

About bloody time sum1 did :p

Tommy Pickle
02-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Agree SARN, but they are considered because we don't really have a better replacement. Sorondo was out, could have stuck Boyce in. Borrowdale in for Granville is debatable.

honeysuckle
02-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Borrowdale was destroyed by Tarnat (?) at Spurs last season in one of Dowie's first games in charge. I dread to think what Solano could do to him if he was picked against Villa.

At best Borrowdale is a worthy player but he certainly isn't better than Danny G.

We urgently need a left back to put pressure on both Borrowdale and Granville

gjtango
02-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by honeysuckle
Borrowdale was destroyed by Tarnat (?) at Spurs last season in one of Dowie's first games in charge. I dread to think what Solano could do to him if he was picked against Villa.

At best Borrowdale is a worthy player but he certainly isn't better than Danny G.

We urgently need a left back to put pressure on both Borrowdale and Granville

Dalmat, who incidently played his best ever game for Spurs that day then ••••ed off. Some of the best left backs in the world would have had no chance against him that day.

hernehilleagle
02-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Love the bloke but Poppa just ain't good enough. Danny has been doing ok, but we should try to get someone better. I still think Borrowdale has real potential.