PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Bullard

Dave
04-01-2005, 12:08 PM
EVERTON and Crystal Palace are understood to be tracking Wigan's influential midfield dynamo Jimmy Bullard.

Bullard hasn't missed a match for Wigan since his arriving from Peterborough in February, 2002, but is a doubt for tonight's clash with Wolves.

He injured a calf muscle in Wigan's 2-0 over Sheffield United on New Year's Day and may miss out after 90 consecutive appearances.

Latics' boss Paul Jewell has delayed his selection for the visit of Wolves, but is relieved to see Wigan back to winning ways after three holiday defeats.

Sir.S.C Remembered
04-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Leighton Baines has been impressing recently too! Then again I rate alot of the Wigan players at Championship level anyway- WHAT ABOUT JUNINHO?

davematt
04-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Bullard would be a good signing.

Son of Ron
04-01-2005, 12:21 PM
as would Baines from what I've heard. And did you see the goal he scored recently - bloody screamer !!

kestoneagle
04-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Bullard is also a local lad and might welcome the chance to move to a Premiership club close to home.

davematt
04-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Son of Ron
as would Baines from what I've heard. And did you see the goal he scored recently - bloody screamer !!

Saying all this, I can't see Wigan selling anyone this month. They are the only club in England outside the Premiership who are better off financially than 75% of Premiership clubs.

PhilD
04-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Good player, but the problem (as with any potential signings from Wigan) is that they won't sell cheaply.

Cleon
04-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Agreed - but this is kind of signing that I would like to see Palace making.

Sussex Eagle
04-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Would be an fantastic signing. Bit of a gamble as with any Championship player I suppose, but he's probably the best attacking midfielder outside of the Premiership.

Dartford Lad
04-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Any one out of Bullard or Steve Sidwell would make me happy, as they are the best two central midfielders in the division.

PhilD
04-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by davematt
Saying all this, I can't see Wigan selling anyone this month. They are the only club in England outside the Premiership who are better off financially than 75% of Premiership clubs.

Whilst I can see what you're saying (and i've said partly the same thing above), I think you're going a bit over the top there. Wigan are bankrolled by Dave Whelan and therefore (as far as i'm aware) they are debt free. Palace are exactly the same, the only difference is that Whelan is still happy for Wigan to make huge losses and underwrite them personally. Jordan has stopped doing this to an extent and clocked up the overdraft etc...Wigan are most probably in awful financial shape, they have a fraction of the gate revenues of even the smallest club in the PL (Pompey) and get little tv revenue the Premier League clubs get. Whelan may be willing to spend a large amount of his personal fortune on Wigan, but I suspect that being the astute businessman he clearly is, he sets a budget and sticks pretty closely to it. If Palace (or anyone else) made a large bid, well in excess of the players market value then I suspect they would sell and probably re-invest the money.

Jay_Palace
04-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by PhilD
Whilst I can see what you're saying (and i've said partly the same thing above), I think you're going a bit over the top there. Wigan are bankrolled by Dave Whelan and therefore (as far as i'm aware) they are debt free. Palace are exactly the same, the only difference is that Whelan is still happy for Wigan to make huge losses and underwrite them personally. Jordan has stopped doing this to an extent and clocked up the overdraft etc...Wigan are most probably in awful financial shape, they have a fraction of the gate revenues of even the smallest club in the PL (Pompey) and get little tv revenue the Premier League clubs get. Whelan may be willing to spend a large amount of his personal fortune on Wigan, but I suspect that being the astute businessman he clearly is, he sets a budget and sticks pretty closely to it. If Palace (or anyone else) made a large bid, well in excess of the players market value then I suspect they would sell and probably re-invest the money.

Yeah it's a good point.

Besides it's all irrelevent if the player actually wants to leave Wigan, if that happens, then he will be on the move, regardless of whether they want to keep him.

I'm also aware that Bullard is a local boy and I'm positive that he would jump at the chance to leave Wigan to come to Palace. He's a pretty good player and qould be a good investment for 2 million or under.

arussell
04-01-2005, 12:57 PM
I've heard a rumour that we are after him.

Brett will be pleased !

I think I'm right in saying he started off at West Ham.

Harry Holmesdale
04-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Too small !

We will be dowies diddy men at this rate !

Radders
04-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by arussell
I've heard a rumour that we are after him.

Brett will be pleased !

I believe he is an ex-hamster!! Good player even if he is from the Dowie school of good looks!! :D

Chris K
04-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Sounds good, although i personally know nothing of him. Haven't Wigan signed (or about to) Robbie Blake from Burnley? This may well add smoke to the fire

Dave
04-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Sounds good, although i personally know nothing of him. Haven't Wigan signed (or about to) Robbie Blake from Burnley? This may well add smoke to the fireBlake gone to Brum

gcwhite
04-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Completely irrelevant (to non golfers anyway!) but Bullard is a 2 handicap golfer who fancies turning pro when he hangs up his football boots. My son played a few rounds with him when he was a Posh player.

He was the star turn at Posh but then so was Leon.

hernehilleagle
04-01-2005, 02:00 PM
A very good player that would be a great signing, but if Everton go for him...

Clapham Grand
04-01-2005, 02:06 PM
good player

Scroatey
04-01-2005, 02:12 PM
I can't see Wigan breaking up a squad challenging for promotion so strongly. They don't have to sell mid-season unless it was silly money.

I wish we'd signed Etherington, Davies and Bullard from Peterborough - they are my second team and I spent many a sobering afternoon at London Road after they'd sold their best assets to Spurs and Wigan :(

Kirby
04-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Bullard and Baines would be fantastic, but Wigan would want megabucks.

Dobbo
04-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Dartford Lad
Any one out of Bullard or Steve Sidwell would make me happy, as they are the best two central midfielders in the division.
What about Richard Chaplow at Burnley; thought he was good and they are a selling club.

Dartford Lad
04-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Dobbo
What about Richard Chaplow at Burnley; thought he was good and they are a selling club.

Sits on Burnley's bench at the moment.

Dartford Lad
04-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by arussell

West Ham got him from Gravesend and Northfleet at an earlyish age and even back then he was a talent.

lordanton
04-01-2005, 04:51 PM
I saw him destroy Leeds, but that's about it.

Anyone know how much he would cost?

Hopefully he would want to come to the Prem as Wigans's challenge has become a little weaker.