PDA

View Full Version : Our First Division Players

richdeniro
04-01-2005, 07:50 PM
With all the transfer speculation about signing the top quality of the first division, would the fact that we have some very good first division players be helpful as bargaining chips in negotiations? It would also help us get rid of some of the players we dont need.

i.e. could the fact that we could offer Shipps for Ashton perhaps swing a deal our way or would Sheffield United be interested in taking Derry as part of a deal that would see Tonge come our way?

What do people think?

swirly007
04-01-2005, 11:19 PM
I see your point, but with all respect to Shipps, I can't see that many teams being that interested...but yeah, could be a good tactic!

:p

arussell
04-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Well Reading are interested in him !

kolinkins
04-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by arussell
Well Reading are interested in him !

And Sidwell may be interesting us....

chelmsfordeagle
05-01-2005, 01:39 AM
I think you make a very good point Richdeniro, Derry, dougie, shipps, were all playing in a promotion team last year and would make very good bargaining tools, Aslo for someone like sidwell we could offer Soares on loan for the rest of the season.

daz_eagle
05-01-2005, 01:45 AM
i'd rather we kept soares.

chelmsfordeagle
05-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by daz_eagle
i'd rather we kept soares.

he's had a couple of reasonable games but if we sign even one midfielder I can't see him getting on the bench for the rest of the season, especially if we also start to play 4-4-2 he would he would then be 5th choice for a CM place and chances would be limited.

I think with a rest of the seaon loan we'd still have the right to recall him in 24 hours should we need too.

Panther
05-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Not sure Shipps would want to go to Crewe. Mind you he did once go to Barnsley so who knows? In principle you may well be right, though. Shipps, Freedman and Derry might prove useful makeweights in deals with English clubs.

Trolley
05-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by richdeniro
would the fact that we have some very good first division players be helpful as bargaining chips in negotiations?

Some of our 'First Division' players are being healthily remunerated and would certainly have to take a reduction in salary if they made the decision to ply their trade with clubs in the lower divisions.

jim the eagle
05-01-2005, 08:51 PM
The fringe players would probably rather stay with us in the prem than take a drop in wages and status in div 1 and who can blame them!!

Psyatika
06-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Do they really have much a choice though? I mean, they could reject new contract offers, but they wouldn't be making many friends in the footballing world.