PDA

View Full Version : How many will we sign in the transfer window?

brighton_eagle
05-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Bearing in mind that we seemed to miss out on a number of what I would imagine were our key targets over the summer, how many transfers will we actually make in this transfer window?

Whilst bringing in players for the future is all well and good, what we need now are players that will make an instant impact and improve the team right now. These players will most likely have plenty of Premiership experience, and probably be older. They will also most likely have high wage demands and most importantly, top agents who are used to commanding a few for their services. We all know about SJ's reluctance to deal with agents, and for this reason, I'm very concerned that we will struggle to attract these impact players to the club.

In my opinion, that really only leaves us with the option of bringing in loan players, from sides like Inter as we did with Ventola and Sorrondo. Bearing in mind the real lack mof impact either of these have had, and bearing in mind their lack of Premiership experience, I'm also concerned that this kind of player might fail to make the impact we need.

In short then, I can't really see us signing more than 1 or 2 at the most, if that. We may well have to accept that what we have is pretty much what we will need to keep us up.

gold76
05-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Ideally I like to see 3 come in, left back, midfielder & striker. But that's easier said than done, realistically I'd settle for two, with a midfielder & striker being a must.

cpfc4ever
05-01-2005, 10:43 AM
How long will it take for them to turn up though, hopefully not the last day of the window

brighton_eagle
I'd like to see 3 too, but my concern is that with SJ's position on agents we won't be able to bring in the kind of players we really need. It really wouldn't surprise me if we brought in no-one.

Shipp Ahoy!
Agreed about 3.

I would like to see that quality striker come in, a talented creative midfielder (the kind like we missed as to Cahill) and a left back because Danny gets done like a kipper too many times and has been at fault for some key goals this season (ala Charlton).

GUCCI Eagle
I'd say around 5, but most of that number will be relatively unknown - a building for the future exercise.

SE25Eagle
05-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Dowie stated afeter Monday's game that he was 'VERY' close to signing he's main target, probably a striker,i think a midfielder is a must to.

Boyandy
05-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
Bearing in mind the real lack mof impact either of these have had, and bearing in mind their lack of Premiership experience, I'm also concerned that this kind of player might fail to make the impact we need.

I don't actually think this is a fair comment to be honest - Ventola was fully fit when we originally signed him (injury prone or not), and Sorondo has acquitted himself well from what I've seen of him.

If you asked the most fans I'd expect most of them to put Sorondo as our first or second choice centre half on current form.

Shoreditch CPFC
05-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by SE25Eagle
Dowie stated afeter Monday's game that he was 'VERY' close to signing he's main target, probably a striker,i think a midfielder is a must to.

My bet is Helguson from Watford with Shipps and possibly other players going the other way + cash

brighton_eagle
05-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle
I'd say around 5, but most of that number will be relatively unknown - a building for the future exercise.

You might well be right, but I really think now we should concentrate all our efforts on a player or players who will keep us up. We have plenty of players for the future already - Routledge, if he stays, will only get better, Watson, Soares, Torghelle, Boyce, Borrowdale, Legiertwood, are all players who might play a key role for us in the future.

If we made ONE key signing this window, the kind of Sheringham type player, I would be delirious.

brighton_eagle
05-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Boyandy
I don't actually think this is a fair comment to be honest - Ventola was fully fit when we originally signed him (injury prone or not), and Sorondo has acquitted himself well from what I've seen of him.

If you asked the most fans I'd expect most of them to put Sorondo as our first or second choice centre half on current form.

I like Sorondo too, and from what I saw of Ventola, he is clearly a very talented player. But for whatever reason, neither has had the kind of impact so far that we need now.

gold76
05-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Shoreditch CPFC
My bet is Helguson from Watford with Shipps and possibly other players going the other way + cash

I dont think that's a bad shout, I do like the idea of using fringe players in any deals we do. I wonder if Sir Steve would be tempted with Dougie plus cash for Sidwell? Might upset a few though..

gold76
05-01-2005, 10:54 AM
I think Sorondo's been excellent and along with Hall is arguably our first choice pair at centre back.

Trolley
05-01-2005, 10:56 AM
It is interesting and even enlightning that with the 'plethora' of speculation in the media linking players to a whole array of clubs, there has to the best of my knowledge been NO linkage apropos a laddie from 'merseyside' who has 'Premiership' experience and who I happen to believe would be a useful acquisition.

All very 'Hush Hush' which is the referred option of 'Mr Dowie' and accordingly I shall refrain from divulging any details.

GUCCI Eagle
05-01-2005, 10:59 AM
It's not Stephen Warnock is it?

Panther
05-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Trolley
It is interesting and even enlightning that with the 'plethora' of speculation in the media linking players to a whole array of clubs, there has to the best of my knowledge been NO linkage apropos a laddie from 'merseyside' who has 'Premiership' experience and who I happen to believe would be a useful acquisition.

All very 'Hush Hush' which is the referred option of 'Mr Dowie' and accordingly I shall refrain from divulging any details.

Come on, Trolley, we've all sussed it. It's Tranmere's very own Jason McAteer, ain't it?:o

Niceaction
05-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Fat Neil Mellor

st albans
05-01-2005, 11:01 AM
if it's going to be just 1, 2 or 3 then i'm hoping they are good quality and that they will be better than whay we have. thats pretty much all we can ask. i can see someone like Redknapp sigining quite a few mediocre (Redknapp Jnr for one already) players, so we really need to get these signings right if we're to stay up

i have faith in ID and am sure they would have had some deals sorted out by now and now it's a case of getting them over the line. just because the transfer window closed for a few months doesnt mean that they havent been working hard to find people

st albans
05-01-2005, 11:02 AM

bloody hell trolley, how many times are you going to say the same bloody things? i truly hope this transfer doesnt go ahead so that we can all mock you

PalaceMonkey
05-01-2005, 11:02 AM
i'd say 3
left back
midfielder
striker.
(hopefully one of which will be from Inter)

Trolley
05-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by st albans
bloody hell trolley, how many times are you going to say the same bloody things? i truly hope this transfer doesnt go ahead so that we can all mock you

I can assure your good self that the laddie is most certainly a 'Target' but of course 'Targets' sometimes, indeed often, do NOT evolve into actual acquisitions. I fervently hope that 'Mr Dowie' is able to get this particular body "Over the line" sooner rather than later.

GanbareWashi
05-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Can not see us "buying for the future" we need a proven player or two now. Besides we have players for the future in Borrowdale, Soares etc. I also can not see us buying another striker as ID will not change our 451 formation and unless he is a top player will just join the plethora of strikers sitting on the bench. We do however need an experienced extra midfielder. I therefore hope we buy one class player rather than four or five mediocre players for the same money.

Gooders
05-01-2005, 11:14 AM
I fervently hope that 'Mr Dowie' is able to get this particular body "Over the line" sooner rather than later.

That sounds a bit more promising - if you're fervently hoping, it can't be Campbell. :p

brighton_eagle
05-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Steve Macmananamamamamaman?

Pistike
05-01-2005, 11:16 AM
...my concern is that with SJ's position on agents we won't be able to bring in the kind of players we really need...

Are agents really so dim that they can't just add their commission onto their clients wages rather than send an invoice to Simon Jordan?

Maybe I've spent too long in eastern Europe but it all seems rather straight forward to me.

cpfc_spc1982
05-01-2005, 11:30 AM
as many as 5 if possible , obviously departures as well though.

james powell
05-01-2005, 11:40 AM
To be totally honest i dont think we will sign anyone at all. We might possibly get 1 loan player for the season but thats about it. I could be wrong but thats my opinion. :confused: :rolleyes:

danibutcher
05-01-2005, 11:43 AM
In the premierhip (well any league) you need 1 decent cover in any position.

GK 1/ kiraly 2/Spilloni

RB 1/Boyce 2/Butters
CB 1/Hall 2/Powell
CB 1/Sorondo 2/pops
LB 1/Granville 2/Borrowdale

RM 1/Routledge 2/ Lakis
CM 1/Watson 2/Leigertwood
CM 1/Aki 2/Kaviedes
CM 1/Hughes
LM 1/Kolka 2/Lakis

FW 1/AJ 2/Torghelle

Big Weekness is LB and CM

In my opinion a new LB and 2 CM both attacking minded aswell

smileysmith
05-01-2005, 12:04 PM

This is my preffered option, but I'm afriad it doesn't look like its true. I work with someone who on the board at Watford and knows Lewington well - he says that Ray is suprised he hasn't heard from Iain about Helgusson as they are old friends.

Tim
05-01-2005, 12:20 PM
I like Sorondo too, and from what I saw of Ventola, he is clearly a very talented player. But for whatever reason, neither has had the kind of impact so far that we need now.

Nothing to do with injury then?

Both are quality but can`t stay fit (particularly Ventola), not much use to us!

Jay_Palace
05-01-2005, 12:27 PM

Great shout, I had forgot about him but can see us getting him, especially with Watford's Shipps interest.

Icy
05-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Neil Clement will be the Left back :p

Zohar Returns
05-01-2005, 01:17 PM
I'd like to see 3 too, but my concern is that with SJ's position on agents we won't be able to bring in the kind of players we really need. It really wouldn't surprise me if we brought in no-one.

But SJ has always said, if an agent works well for Palace he does not mind paying a fee. What he objects to is an agent sounding out a possible move for a player at a certain price/wages ect, we say we are interested, and then the agent works for the other club and player in bumping up the fee and players wages! Why should Palace pay him for doing us out of cash. He works for the player, the player should pay him. I agree 100% with SJ, even if it does mean we miss out sometimes. Dont bankrupt the club.

jazman
I think that three wil cover it, although I am very disapointed by the fact that we have lots of strikers at the club but we all feel the need to buy another to help AJ. Struggling with the other centre back berth but Powell might do a job there after the Villa game. Definately need something in midfield though as Aki and co cannot sustain this the whole season..........

Jay_Palace
Originally posted by Icy
Neil Clement will be the Left back :p

I've heard this rumoured to be the case countless times, do you know this is going to happen for definite?

I ask because I think that he would be a great signing for us. He was Albion's best player against Newcastle the other day.

LeeH
05-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Helguson
Clement
Karagounis :p
Zidane (as backup for Mr Hughes) :D

Malakite
05-01-2005, 01:45 PM
no more than 2 will come in me thinks..and hey we have not even heard of anyone yet....still who needs them when we smash Villa 2-0! :p :rolleyes:

fasteddie
05-01-2005, 01:48 PM
What about Koumas? Rumoured to be valued at around 800,000. Although he hasn't quite done it in the prem this season, you have to take into account it was with west brom. A very talented player and fits the position we need.

mr_teen82
05-01-2005, 05:09 PM
I expect that we will miss most of our targets - and end up with the same sort of players we have now. Admitadley a few have done well Boyce and Kolkka in particular - but I must say that some have flopped -Speroni, and most have made no impact - Kaviedes, Ventolla, Torghelle, Andrews, Danze

This will once again be the type of player we attract. The reason - we have the stigma of being a poor premiership club (one likely to go down) and everyone knows how difficult it is to attract big names to the club, when you have this stigma from Championship Manager.

The only way in which we can survive is by shopping for promising players, div 1 players, loan players or players from leagues outside spain, italy and england and perhaps france - established players will not come here. Not yet anyway

I think we'll get 2 or 3, but no real huge name, we'll be looking to the Clements and the Clemence's, not the Carlos Albertos. And many of the signings we make will again make no impact.

But hey, why not dream - Shearer in a Palace Shirt was always a dream of mine - managed to sign him once on Champ man 3. He was immense.
He's still got a season and a half in him - so why not!!!

KungFuCharlie
05-01-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm hoping for four.

A left back (though DG was excellent against Villa IMHO)

A Striker (though I still think Sandor will come good)

Most important by a mile, 2 midfielders, one battler, one creative, perferably one with a left foot to give a bit more cover on the left.

JB's ghost
05-01-2005, 05:22 PM
What about Pistone? He's out of contract in the summer, is now second choice to Naysmith and Everton have other promising left backs as cover.

Joeymaz
05-01-2005, 05:30 PM
I think Dowie will be looking to bring in five players.

CB
LB
CM
LM
FW

ANDYEAGLE
05-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Joeymaz
I think Dowie will be looking to bring in five players.

CB
LB
CM
LM
FW

Love to think so Joey but i think max three including loans.If they are experienced players thats enough anyway.

ANDYEAGLE
05-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by fasteddie
What about Koumas? Rumoured to be valued at around 800,000. Although he hasn't quite done it in the prem this season, you have to take into account it was with west brom. A very talented player and fits the position we need.

Dont think they will sell him for that somehow. According to Albion fans they still feel he is quality sounds a bit like he is a lazy fecker. At 800k I would love him.

nomad
05-01-2005, 08:09 PM

Don't think we can afford Gerard.

jim the eagle
05-01-2005, 08:40 PM
How about signing no one,thus keeping the excellent team spirit and saving the money for the summer and signing a top class striker then.There is no one out there who would make that much of a difference to our chances of staying up.Look at what Southampton have signed an injury prone son of the manager!! Lets stick with the players who have done so well so far and pray AJ stays fit and banging them in .Having said that can we get Michael Owen on loan!!!!

RDSdaEAGLE
05-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Erm...

no.

We need quality, and we need it soon.

Sussex Eagle
05-01-2005, 08:44 PM
:confused: Over-excited by the above-average team performance on Monday or something?

Jay_Palace
05-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Not an option, we need new blood and we need it now.

Celestial Empire
05-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
Dont think they will sell him for that somehow. According to Albion fans they still feel he is quality sounds a bit like he is a lazy fecker. At 800k I would love him.

Remember when we bid 3M for him ? :eek: :o :eek:
He's a Joey Beauchamp figure, a sulky mummy's boy who will create problems - leave well alone.

cpfc_spc1982
05-01-2005, 10:03 PM
changing the team spirit will not be affected by new signings, if anything quality added to the squad will give players a big lift.

Chris K
05-01-2005, 10:09 PM
hmmm nice idea, but i think we're in desperate need in positions mentioned a million and one times!

Sir.S.C Remembered
06-01-2005, 12:02 AM
I think we need a left back, attacking central midfielder (biggest signing) and a left winger despite the fact that Lakis is rotating there. As for Strikers I would like to see one in but feel we would have to get rid of a FEW before that would happen.

I do not know what left back I would go for but Clement would suit as it would give us a option on free kicks too and I believe he can play in a few other positions such as central mid and left wing which would mean a left winger could be left for now. But not sure Celemtn is available

I would go for:
Clement
Juninho (loan) or Berkovic (loan or permanent)
luxuries
Gonzalez
Ashton

Gooders
06-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Currant Bun has a snippet today saying that West Ham have rejected a 1.2 million bid from us for Reo-Coker.

Good!

brighton_eagle
12-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, SJ has said we need to clear people out before bringing anyone in. With Routledge saying he won't sign a new contract, I guess a lot depends on whether he will go in the transfer window.

It's looking very much like we will be lucky to sign anyone this January.

GUCCI Eagle
12-01-2005, 01:35 PM

I agree - no one of note, but I'm prepared to be surprised Boyce/Kiraly style by a couple of unknown signings.

Daddy Long
12-01-2005, 01:42 PM

ANDYEAGLE
12-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Well, SJ has said we need to clear people out before bringing anyone in. With Routledge saying he won't sign a new contract, I guess a lot depends on whether he will go in the transfer window.

SJ has also said he bid 3million for Dean Ashton so that means we dont have to sell to buy. The clear out thing is something they have been trying to do for a while. I am sure we will see signings.

Bryan
12-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Still a bit concerned about us getting in a really quality midfielder. There was a lot of talk about us being short of midfield depth before the season started and I still think thats true.

So far we've been lucky to see very little in the way of suspensions and injuries to Aki and Hughes and we were also lucky that watson has come through from the reserves.

Look as what we have to throw at Man City this Saturday and you might get some idea what we will be up against for the remainder of the season if we don't make a couple of decent signings and one of those has to be in midfield. I do think we will sign two but I do think we will look back on this transfer window as disappointing.

limited_edition
12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
We'll sign none. Zilch. Diddly squat. Jack shit. Nada. Nein. We'll continue to get people on trial for a few days and we'll find that nobody comes up to exacting standards of the Dowie/Harbin work ethic by the time the window runs out. Forget Premiership know how, obscure players with desire, heart and soul will keep us up. So expect more tried and trusted players like Wayne Andrews. :rolleyes:

Young Trolley
12-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Seems we are after another left back albeit not at the expense of DG

From Piper on HOL

"We are not getting a replacement for Granville.

Offers have been made for two left backs, in the hope that we will get one of them.

Granville is lined up for a new Contract."

DocSavage
13-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Bearing in mind that we seemed to miss out on a number of what I would imagine were our key targets over the summer, how many transfers will we actually make in this transfer window?

Whilst bringing in players for the future is all well and good, what we need now are players that will make an instant impact and improve the team right now. These players will most likely have plenty of Premiership experience, and probably be older. They will also most likely have high wage demands and most importantly, top agents who are used to commanding a few for their services. We all know about SJ's reluctance to deal with agents, and for this reason, I'm very concerned that we will struggle to attract these impact players to the club.

In my opinion, that really only leaves us with the option of bringing in loan players, from sides like Inter as we did with Ventola and Sorrondo. Bearing in mind the real lack mof impact either of these have had, and bearing in mind their lack of Premiership experience, I'm also concerned that this kind of player might fail to make the impact we need.

In short then, I can't really see us signing more than 1 or 2 at the most, if that. We may well have to accept that what we have is pretty much what we will need to keep us up.

At the moment I'll be delighted if we "break even"

KennyB
13-01-2005, 01:21 PM
I thought we had just signed a young left back from Dunfermline. Used to play for Shamrock Rovers. He sounds useful, but I don't know anything about him.

Anyone know any more ?

KungFuCharlie
13-01-2005, 01:24 PM
I know that he doesn't get into the Dunfermline team, and that someone posted a quote from a Scottish fan who said 'We'd be better off putting Speroni at left-back'.

I also know that he hasn't signed yet, but here's hoping ay...

Windom Earle
13-01-2005, 01:26 PM
why is this not a poll?

brighton_eagle
13-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Windom Earle
why is this not a poll?

Didn't see the point to be honest, in offering all the options. :)

Daddy Long
13-01-2005, 01:29 PM
There is no truth in the Richie Byrne rumours as far as I am aware.

Stavros 69
13-01-2005, 07:23 PM
3 in and 2 out.

brighton_eagle
24-01-2005, 04:45 PM
5 days left and so far no movement. I'm really starting to believe we'll see no notable additions to the squad in this transfer window. Let's just hope we don't get any injuries to key players in the last few months of the season.

Stavros 69
24-01-2005, 04:59 PM
5 days left and so far no movement. I'm really starting to believe we'll see no notable additions to the squad in this transfer window. Let's just hope we don't get any injuries to key players in the last few months of the season.

I'm going to use my birthday wish for a new midfielder :cool:

grubbie
24-01-2005, 06:18 PM
When they play like they did on Saturday you could almost start to believe that we can do it with no new additions. But I still believe we'll stay up, regardless of wether we sign anyone.

Hang the D J
24-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by grubbie
When they play like they did on Saturday you could almost start to believe that we can do it with no new additions. But I still believe we'll stay up, regardless of wether we sign anyone.

Not so sure. West brom away will be a totally different game to Saturday. They will battle like mad, constantly pressure our midfield and be a threat in the air.

Well as Dougie played on Saturday I doubt it will be his type of game and I would revert to 4-5-1, which will be a struggle to accommodate if Aki remains unfit.

We need a larger squad to be more adaptable.

<_tece_>
24-01-2005, 09:30 PM
We will sign no-one. FACT.

I'd love to be proved wrong though... but it ain't gonna happen.

lordanton
24-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Its not a fact then is it!

And surely there is seven days left, not five?!

75points
24-01-2005, 10:00 PM
if can't get midfielder then Derry should be recalled -still worth a place on the bench -only saving 7 k a week in wages