PDA

View Full Version : Let Wayne leave on a free?


DANCOO
06-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Dowie is talking about selling Wayne before the window shuts if he doesn't sign a new contract, but I'm wondering how advantageous it would be if we kept him until the summer, regardless.
I know we would lose out on a 3.5m+ transfer fee as he would leave on a free, but if Wayne continues playing as he is, he is a cert to start every match and has obviosuly set up a lot of goals so far this season.
If we sell him, we may not find a player who is as effective as he is, and therefore survival chances would be reduced further. It's a lot of money to gamble - but if it meant staying up, missing out on his transfer fee would be well worth it.

CanveyEagle
06-01-2005, 02:26 PM
We wouldnt miss out on a fee, as he is under 24 and we had him as a trainee we will be entitled to payment, which I think is decided by a tribunal.

eagles #1
06-01-2005, 02:29 PM
His head wouldnt be right IMO. Therefore he wouldnt perform at his best. Hopefully he'll just sign for us.

DANCOO
06-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by CanveyEagle
We wouldnt miss out on a fee, as he is under 24 and we had him as a trainee we will be entitled to payment, which I think is decided by a tribunal.
Oh yeah, that's right - still, it wouldn't be close to 3.5m

Beanie
06-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by DANCOO
Oh yeah, that's right - still, it wouldn't be close to 3.5m
Neither would a transfer fee - the offer was 3m in the summer, it will be lower now.

Scroatey
06-01-2005, 03:25 PM
But Julian Gray didn't do too badly before leaving on a "free"!

Gazza2
06-01-2005, 04:25 PM
As he has such a short time left on his contract we woudl only get a maximum of a 2m transfer fee for him if sold duing January. As he has represented England at most levels as he has got older (inc U21's recently), the tribunal fee we would receive would be sizeable if he joins another club at end of season.

bigee
06-01-2005, 06:07 PM
I was told the other day that there may be a new rule introduced specifically to deal with players under the Bosman age whereby a club would recieve 90k in euros for each year the player had been at the club.That in WR's case is only around half a million sterling!!! I have not heard of this before and do not know how much truth there is in it but,if true,then if he wants to go you could not blame the club for cashing in now (although there are lots of other things to blame the club for!)

chelmsfordeagle
07-01-2005, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by bigee
I was told the other day that there may be a new rule introduced specifically to deal with players under the Bosman age whereby a club would recieve 90k in euros for each year the player had been at the club.That in WR's case is only around half a million sterling!!! I have not heard of this before and do not know how much truth there is in it but,if true,then if he wants to go you could not blame the club for cashing in now (although there are lots of other things to blame the club for!)

Pure specualtion, this may be a minimum amount to unsure small clubs don't get ripped off like Brighton with Gareth Barry.

martin.cpfc
07-01-2005, 09:53 AM
I read somewhere we were hoping to get compensation of at least 1.5m.

This still about 2m less than his real worth. :grrr:

sydnsteve
07-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Dancoo, I had been wondering the same thing myself. If we really only get an extra 500k for him by selling, I would definitely hold onto him. It would not be in his own interest to play badly, even if leaving, as he would want to impress any interested clubs.
He can be infuriating, but he can also be amazing, as vs Villa second half (where AfB was being rather unking suggesting he did well because Villa were stretched, as he had 3 men tight to him when he crossed to get the penalty). There are not many players with that sort of skill around.
However, if he doesn't sign it looks like he will go, which IMO would be a mistake on the club's part.

ReadingPalace
07-01-2005, 10:14 AM
No Palace player has ever gone to Spurs and lived up to expectations. Arsenal, on the other hand, have had Sansom and Wright - two of our best players of all time. I think if Wayne was to go to the Arse now, though, he'd struggle to get much of a look in. He's only 20, after all. I think he should sign a new contract now.

Shipp Ahoy!
07-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Realistically we would be lucky to get anything over 2million with his contract expiring at the end of the season. Question you have to ask is if we get something like 1.5million compo, surely it would be worth 500k to keep him here until the end of the season as he would be vital in our Premiership survival which would generate something like another 12million+

jossf
07-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Keep him, play him, get off his back, stay up. Simple.

John C
07-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by ReadingPalace
No Palace player has ever gone to Spurs and lived up to expectations. Arsenal, on the other hand, have had Sansom and Wright - two of our best players of all time. I think if Wayne was to go to the Arse now, though, he'd struggle to get much of a look in. He's only 20, after all. I think he should sign a new contract now.

And eddie :p

tonkers
07-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
Realistically we would be lucky to get anything over 2million with his contract expiring at the end of the season.

And how do you know that????????