CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transfer Hotline (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Official: Jack Butland 3 year deal (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=282297)

Stavros 69 14-08-2020 09:48 AM

Jack Butland 3 year deal

Looks like hes a available for 8m, whilst VG is first choice having someone who could actually put pressure on the No.1 rather than having Heno on the bench would make sense.

Chillo 14-08-2020 09:51 AM

Better than the 30m Stoke wanted for him last year.

Still not sure he's all that good a keeper now, though.

Astrophical 14-08-2020 09:52 AM

Aye, lost his way. Really poor last season.

Would love Hennessey to be gone as much as anyone, but Butland isn't the answer. Especially at that price.

Jughead 14-08-2020 10:03 AM

8 m eh
No

SA Eagle 14-08-2020 10:20 AM

Whilst he's better than Hennessey, I'm not sure we're in the market for splashing 8m on a sub keeper

Crunchie 14-08-2020 10:35 AM

He was though a very good keeper. 8m is too high but a change of scenery and a year of really good coaching might not be a bad thing especially if they view the Wales no.1 as an adequate replacement

JJ 14-08-2020 10:42 AM

Only 27, best years as a GK still to come, perhaps?

Sir.S.C Remembered 14-08-2020 10:45 AM

I don’t believe is going off a player just because they aren’t at their peak form patch. But by all accounts his form was atrocious. So it’s a tough one.

Ben Foster may be old but he clearly has a few years left in him and he’s a good character too.

9Freedman9 14-08-2020 10:47 AM

Didn't they drop him towards the end of last season?

PemboExpress 14-08-2020 10:55 AM

He was shocking last season. Straight swap for Hennessey would be ok though.

Sick Bucket 14-08-2020 10:59 AM

The pressure clearly really gets to keepers, seems to happen to most of them, think of all the England keepers in the last 20 years who start off being the best in the country end up being dodgy, Green, James, Hart etc

Has to be down to confidence and what's going on between the ears.

Latvian Eagle 14-08-2020 11:06 AM

Been having this conversation with a few other in the know GK types. Seems to be a common trait in England that we somehow absolutely destroy keepers confidence, just look at Joe Hart for example, whatever people say he did used to be a really good keeper, Butland seems to be going the same way.

For me Butland was better than Pickford in the lead up to the 2018 World Cup.

Certainly wouldn't spend 8-10m on a back up keeper, and on his form the last two season I certainly wouldn't have him as a number one right now.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 14-08-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 15348829)
The pressure clearly really gets to keepers, seems to happen to most of them, think of all the England keepers in the last 20 years who start off being the best in the country end up being dodgy, Green, James, Hart etc

Has to be down to confidence and what's going on between the ears.

De gea seems to have gone bad very quickly too. But then look at Benteke. It isn't just keepers. And it's not just football. Vettel looks broken in F1 too.

Latvian Eagle 14-08-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15348843)
De gea seems to have gone bad very quickly too. But then look at Benteke. It isn't just keepers. And it's not just football. Vettel looks broken in F1 too.

It's a funny one because apparently De Gea has gone really bad etc but looking at all stats etc he still was the fourth best ranked keeper in the PL last season. :D So stats can be slightly subjective.

Clearly he isn't the same as he was say 3 years ago when on World Class form, but it appears he is still a top level performer even despite his stupid mistakes of late.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 14-08-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 15348849)
It's a funny one because apparently De Gea has gone really bad etc but looking at all stats etc he still was the fourth best ranked keeper in the PL last season. :D So stats can be slightly subjective.

Clearly he isn't the same as he was say 3 years ago when on World Class form, but it appears he is still a top level performer even despite his stupid mistakes of late.

Yes, I agree. I was probably being a bit flippant.

He is still making some excellent stops. But he is also clearly making a large number of big errors and has for some time.

He hasn't been the same player for some time. Only more time will tell us if its temporary or not.

Latvian Eagle 14-08-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15348864)
Yes, I agree. I was probably being a bit flippant.

He is still making some excellent stops. But he is also clearly making a large number of big errors and has for some time.

He hasn't been the same player for some time. Only more time will tell us if its temporary or not.

It is quite something that a lot of people are saying Romero should get a chance. A keeper who plays about 6 games a season, and if people had watched his career prior to going to Man Utd they would see he's as prone to stupid mistakes as DDG is now. :D

Johnsonpen 14-08-2020 11:45 AM

Steer away from the majority of England keepers - Pickford now being seen as unreliable by Everton. Only Pope and Henderson seem to be reliable. Butland is no way worth that money for what he has done in last two years.

PemboExpress 14-08-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15348843)

Yes Kepa at Chelsea too.

I think we do overlook the importance of confidence and mental pressure on sportsman. It's very easy to say they earn millions but you have to be mentally very strong and resilient to come back from setbacks and a drop in form.

There was an excellent documentary on the BBC called "The Edge" about the rise of the England Cricket team to no.1 test team and the aftermath. Aside from probably Cook, Anderson, Broad and Collingwood (who was coming to the end of his career) the others paid a certain price either physically or mentally as a result.

Latvian Eagle 14-08-2020 12:07 PM

Butland's drop off in form definitely seemed to coincide with being overlooked for Pickford at the 2018 World Cup. Could of course be coincidence.

Will be criminal if Southgate continues to pick Pickford over Pope and Henderson for much longer.

BillyTKid 14-08-2020 12:20 PM

Did Butland play for England under Roy?